Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Uh, sidereal day or Kerbol day?

I've noticed when going back to KSC menu view after warping a bunch in Tracking/Map View (while not on Kerbin), the building click+menu locations had creeped west of visual models. I'm thinking this could be due to the visual and clicky/collision meshes using different day definitions (solar vs sidereal, respectively). Loading a craft to launch pad seemed to re-synchronize the KSC menu positions.

That SSTLaythe+Return space plane video also mentioned that the KSC runway became unlandable upon return from Laythe (some versions ago). Maybe this is a related error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Synnr posted:

Yeah going through it all, its the little connector thing that you stick the wedges to. I'm not really sure what the root node thing DOES exactly but when I clicked the two of them in sequence (I guess it combines them? I dunno), it seemed to launch.

I think overall I have too many mods running or something. Maybe the textures are just larger than the last time I downloaded a bunch but I don't THINK I'm running out of memory in 32-bit (I don't understand all the error log stuff, but it says theres memory free?) and 64-bit is just weird. Every section looked fully upgraded in 64-bit, as opposed to tiny and all that.

I just want to play with all the toys :cry:

Root is basically the part that anchors the entire assembly, by default the first part you choose. I don't know why the interface is set up the way it is so I'm sure I'm missing something but that's the gist of it.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Landing legs should come in iterations, higher tiered variants have a built-in sensor that mitigates X% slope for easier landing.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Hey Roverdude,

Does FTT require Firespitter and/or Regolith to be installed? KSP is refusing to launch with FTT installed, it gets hungup on the ductfan parts.

e: ExPack also gives me problems, but Kolonization and Sounding Rockets work fine.

e2: I just installed the whole slew of USI stuff and it works now, so nevermind.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 16, 2015

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So uh, anyone else's game do this...

I focus on a planet, speed up time and click out of the KSP window...puking ensues.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Gotta focus on the sun if you want to go to full time dilation.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Plinkey posted:

So uh, anyone else's game do this...

I focus on a planet, speed up time and click out of the KSP window...puking ensues.

I think KSP can pick up scroll wheel events even when not focused, so that's probably why you ended up zoomed so far out. And since you were focused on a planet, the rest is as should be expected.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
I just did a docking mission with the craft docking port on backwards. Is there a way I can edit the ship to flip it around without flying another mission?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I'm watching the video on diverting an asteroid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ArwCbkgDk

What mod is he using that makes the antennas open and close (and aim?) automatically?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

two_beer_bishes posted:

I'm watching the video on diverting an asteroid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ArwCbkgDk

What mod is he using that makes the antennas open and close (and aim?) automatically?

Those aren't antennaes, they're energy receiver things from interstellar

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Nalesh posted:

Those aren't antennaes, they're energy receiver things from interstellar

Ah, thanks!

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Uh, sidereal day or Kerbol day?

Kerbin's sidereal day is exactly 6 hours long. Which is good for launching into specific LANs by using the clock, but bad for the little Kerbal KSC astronomers who have to keep track of a different sunrise/sunset time every day.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Is there some way with mods or whatever to have a ship point directly at the sun?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Good question.

Don't things rotate arbitrarily once you look away from them? Not sure if Squad will change that. Be interesting to know if any mods tackled it. Be more impressed if said mod(s) accommodated sun tracking.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Station Science is a good mod. I just recently installed it.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

Count Roland posted:

Hey Roverdude,

Does FTT require Firespitter and/or Regolith to be installed? KSP is refusing to launch with FTT installed, it gets hungup on the ductfan parts.

e: ExPack also gives me problems, but Kolonization and Sounding Rockets work fine.

e2: I just installed the whole slew of USI stuff and it works now, so nevermind.

Anything required should have been bundled - and probably a combo of firespitter, USI_Tools, and Regolith. Tho I thoroughly approve of your solution as it falls neatly into my plan of converting KSP into RoverDude's Space Program.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Spookydonut posted:

Is there some way with mods or whatever to have a ship point directly at the sun?

MechJeb. SASS, advanced, Sun, "up".

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Geirskogul posted:

MechJeb. SASS, advanced, Sun, "up".

How do you target the sun?

OldMold
Jul 29, 2003
old cold gold mold
Welp after 800+ hours in the game, I've finally launched a manned interplanetary mission.

Crew of 3, 500 days of life support, two unmanned probes, two nuclear reactors, one Argon thruster, ~11km dV. Heading to say hello to Duna and Ike.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

OldMold posted:

Welp after 800+ hours in the game, I've finally launched a manned interplanetary mission.

Crew of 3, 500 days of life support, two unmanned probes, two nuclear reactors, one Argon thruster, ~11km dV. Heading to say hello to Duna and Ike.

What are your calculated life support margins?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Do any of you have any favourite never-got-off-the-drawing-board designs from real life that you've tried to recreate in KSP? Obviously everybody makes an Apollo /Saturn V at some point, and I bet most of us have made a rover+skycrane too, but I'd quite like to try replicating some engineer's wet dream that was too expensive to do for realsies.

rmdx
Sep 22, 2013

I made yesterday a facsimile of the Saturn V-B: http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/saturnvb.htm

That's a stage-and-a half design where 4 of the 5 F1 engines are dropped (and recovered via parachutes) partway to orbit like the original Atlas. No second stage.

Using the big 5m KW Rocketry tank and 5 Mainsails it can put 100t to 100km orbit and leave enough residual fuel to deorbit. Getting the booster engines to drop as a single unit and not separately was tricky, but the end result works and looks great. Posting from work so no pics (yet), sorry.

E: disclaimer: payload capacity measured with FAR. Performance in stock not guaranteed.

rmdx fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 16, 2015

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Oberleutnant posted:

Do any of you have any favourite never-got-off-the-drawing-board designs from real life that you've tried to recreate in KSP? Obviously everybody makes an Apollo /Saturn V at some point, and I bet most of us have made a rover+skycrane too, but I'd quite like to try replicating some engineer's wet dream that was too expensive to do for realsies.

SSTO spaceplanes :laugh:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Okay currently every time I enter the atmosphere of Duna the camera zooms out crazily then the non-ui goes black. Swapping to map mode also displays black.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Ladies and Gentlegoons, I give you, what I will call for the purpose of this post, the Delta-V Heavy Lifter.

Here it stands, poised for it's inaugural flight.

Liftoff!

...Hey. Who forgot to unclamp the launch towers???

The awe inspiring nature of space travel.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Erectile dysfunction is no joke.

:v:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

This is quite possibly my most successful plane. It owns. (Uses FAR)

The unusual engine configuration probably helps, but it's not like I know what I'm talking about.

Fast, maneuverable and doesn't explode when I do a 3º bank. 2.8 or something TWR, too, for them nice 90º climbs.

I'll probably try making it into an SSTO. I love it.

e:

Bonus planform because I like this plane a lot

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
What does it carry?

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
Am I misinterpreting the point of FMRS?.

I'm trying to build a plane that can drop manned pods over surface EVA contracts, my intention is to fly over, drop the pod then either before or after landing the plane, go back to each pod, land them, then once all are landed perform each EVA. Everything I've read seems to make it sound like once everything is landed it all gets merged into a composite save file?

I've tried a few times now to do this, but it keeps going this way:

Fly
Drop pods
Land plane
Switch to pod #1
Land pod #1
Switch to pod #2
Land pod #2
Switch back to pod #1, pod #1 is in the air immediately after being jettisoned instead of on the ground.

I've seen screenshots where people are controlling one stage and others are listed in green as "Landed", but no matter what I do, if I switch to any other stage or the main flight then I lose all progress on whatever stage I was just controlling.

Am I way off on this?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Ummmm what?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Looks like your flight computer is out of power.

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

KSP gets a shout out in the Guardian, towards the bottom of their piece on Musk tweeting the Falcon 9 pics http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jan/16/elon-musk-falcon-9-rapid-unscheduled-disassembly.

quote:

The term originated on forums for discussing the game Kerbal Space Program, a gruellingly difficult simulation which tasks players with building spaceships and getting them to orbit (and, eventually, landing on other celestial bodies). While it is somewhat easier than real spaceflight, the game still refuses to pull punches, and perhaps as a result, its fanbase has been forced to come up with a fair few euphemisms for “my rocket blew up”.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Vetitum posted:

KSP gets a shout out in the Guardian, towards the bottom of their piece on Musk tweeting the Falcon 9 pics http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jan/16/elon-musk-falcon-9-rapid-unscheduled-disassembly.

"Hardware-rich combustion" is still my favorite. :colbert:

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

I am trying to test engines for a contract which requires them to be splashed down, how can i activate them when in the water? Im not sure i understand....

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

Ghetto Blaster posted:

I am trying to test engines for a contract which requires them to be splashed down, how can i activate them when in the water? Im not sure i understand....

You don't actually 'activate' the engine, right click on the part you have a contract for and there should be a 'run test' option for you to hit.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ghetto Blaster posted:

Read the "notes" on the contract.

If it says "activate the part through the context menu" or something similar, splash down and then right-click on the engines and "run test".

If it says "activate the part through the staging sequence", either:
- don't stage the engines until you splash down, or
- after splashing down, create a new stage, drag the engines into it, and activate that stage

Yes, this is stupid as hell. I hope that in a later version testing just automatically happens once you're in the correct situation for it.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Has anybody noticed any problems with the Dangit mod recently? Playing at the moment, and any time I laucnh or take control of a craft I start getting failures every couple minutes like clockwork. I just aborted three airplane takeoffs in a row because of control surface failure, coolant leak, gimbal failure. My space station just lost 2 or 3 batteries and my probes are all starting to fall apart too. This is all in the space of about 15 minutes.

I installed Orbital Science before loading up, so that's an obvious candidate, but I just uninstalled and the problem is persisting.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Oberleutnant posted:

Skylon with some modifications works fairly well as an SSTO spaceplane.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Oberleutnant posted:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova_(rocket)

Also Shuttle-c, Shuttle II http://www.armaghplanet.com/blog/10-shuttles-which-never-flew.html

I think there was also a gas core ssto design kicking around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Inacio posted:

This is quite possibly my most successful plane. It owns. (Uses FAR)

The unusual engine configuration probably helps, but it's not like I know what I'm talking about.

Fast, maneuverable and doesn't explode when I do a 3º bank. 2.8 or something TWR, too, for them nice 90º climbs.

I'll probably try making it into an SSTO. I love it.

e:

Bonus planform because I like this plane a lot

I try to go as simple as possible with my designs. Here's my first SSTO. I use NEAR for my Aerodynamics.

It has a docking port and that's it. It technically does the job but uses all of my fuel to get up and then back down to the KSC for a proper landing. My next goal will be an SSTO that can actually bring up a sizable amount of fuel or cargo for delivery.

I'd really like some airbrakes that are not part of B9. I don't like the B9 parts at all because they don't blend in well with Spaceplane Plus. Would be nice to not have my part list half filled with just B9 stuff.

I do like this goofy cockpit though.

If I knew anything about modding I would just pull out everything but the cockpit and airbrakes.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 16, 2015