Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SquadronROE posted:

I think a more valuable test would be an ethics test. Maybe including the following questions:

Q: You are walking in the desert. There is a turtle laying on it's back, baking in the hot sun. Why don't you help it?

What color is the turtle?

I'm not willing to let the government give your money to blaugh turtles just because they're on their back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Joementum posted:

Woah, J.C. Watts. That's a good blast from the past. You forgot Alan Keyes, though. Whatever happened to that guy? Didn't he run for Senate?

Say it ain't so Joe. Could you have forgotten the Senate race that proved that 27% of the American population is reliably insane?

EDIT: This is what I get for not finishing catching up because you're too hyped about using a quote from a movie in the 90s.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 16, 2015

ufarn
May 30, 2009

:cripes:

ufarn fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 16, 2015

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

In Mitt Romney's alternate universe, @Colin Powell brings Hank Williams Jr. to play "Are You Ready for Some Football" - message to French after US no-shows last week.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chris Christie brings Art Garfunkel to France for a duet of "Bridge Over Troubled Water"

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

SquadronROE posted:

I think a more valuable test would be an ethics test. Maybe including the following questions:

Q: You are walking in the desert. There is a turtle laying on it's back, baking in the hot sun. Why don't you help it?

Look, half a century ago we all agreed to stop flipping turtles onto their backs. So if a turtle's on its back now, then it's as a result of choices that the turtle's made and is nothing to do with me. Did I personally flip the turtle on its back? No I did not. And what's more, do you know who the real flippers of turtles on their backs are? Turtles. That's right, turtles.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Why is the turtle on its back anyway? It's probably a slut and totally asking for it.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Foucault: I see the turtle as being on its back because I have been taught that way by power, to convince me I am not on mine.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I help the turtle by eating the turtle.

A turtle on its back in the desert is a great source of hydration.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
If it's a legitimate flipping, the turtle has a way of flipping the whole thing upside down.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
How do we know that God didn't intend for the turtle to be on it's back? Who am I to interfere with His plan?

*believes this while also believing people shouldn't rely on government welfare, only on the kindness of charities when they fall on hard times*

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Turtle on its back == turtle is black, makes you think, doesn't it? Back and black share a lot of letters!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Here I am a salamander, and I see this turtle on its back, begging for my help. Demanding it. And I see a long line of them, slowing me down on my unique path. Telling me that there's no reason why a salamander should be in the desert, that maybe the turtle could me help out of there. I am Sal Blarph and I refuse to listen to the "People's Congress" and their inane wet theories. I will leave them all behind. Once I get to....

Galt's Cloaca.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
If the turtle was armed he wouldn't have let someone flip him on his back in the first place.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
No wonder the French hate us. And we deserve it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Someone oughta remind them who liberated Paris :clint:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zoux posted:

Someone oughta remind them who liberated Paris :clint:

The 2e Division Blindée, FFI and the FTP?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No it was Heroic American Soldiers.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008
This test was so much better before that bleeding heart Kampff got involved:

Obama brings all the enemies of the world into a little playground where they swing each other back and forth. Do you have the right frame of mind to free this nation from this Obama oppression?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

I mean, sure, but there was an element of courtesy involved from the Yankee invader. Also, y'know, the question of how the French division was close enough in the first place.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

welp this actually happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuWEkUcS0lI

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Never thought I'd see the day.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/01/16/green-tea-coalition-strange-bedfellows-fight-for-solar-power-in-sunshine-state/

quote:

In the science fiction series "Star Trek," if matter and anti-matter ever came together, there would be a huge explosion and the universe would cease to exist. In Florida, a diverse coalition of groups will put that theory to the test, all in the name of expanding the use of solar power.

The strange bedfellows that have come together include the Tea Party, the Christian Coalition, libertarian groups and left-wing environmentalists. Their goal -- to put a constitutional amendment on the November 2016 ballot in Florida that would make solar power more widely available in the Sunshine State.

Debbie Dooley -- founder of the Atlanta Tea Party -- is leading the charge.

"Being good stewards of our environment, craving energy freedom and choice is not a leftist issue. It's not a radical right issue. It's an American issue," Dooley told Fox News.

Under current Florida law, only utilities can sell electricity to customers. Businesses and homeowners can install solar panels on their properties, but any excess electricity must be put back onto the grid.

The amendment this so-called "Green Tea Coalition" is aiming to put on the ballot would allow individuals or businesses with solar installations to sell power to tenants or neighbors. For example, if a shopping mall owner put a large solar panel array on the mall roof, they would be able to sell the electricity to the individual store tenants.

The law would also allow people to escape the big upfront costs of installing solar by ending the prohibition on leasing solar panels. Companies selling solar panels could put up an array in, say, a hotel parking lot, then lease the panels to the hotel for less than the cost of comparable electricity from the utility.

"This ballot initiative is a great example of where you need people from across the political spectrum to take on monopoly power," said Stephen Smith, director of the Southern Alliance for Clean Energy, one of the environmental groups that has teamed up with the Tea Party.

But the oddball coalition also evokes the famous line from the film "Ghostbusters" about "dogs and cats living together." So how do groups who might normally be scratching and clawing at each others' throats over a wide array of issues work constructively on this one?

"We put blinders on," said Dooley. "And we have a mutual respect for our differences. I respect he has a right to believe the way he does and I have the right to believe the way that I do."

Smith concurs. "Just because some conservatives disagree with us on, say, climate change or something like that, that doesn't mean we can't work together."

Dooley's Green Tea Coalition just had a victory in neighboring Georgia. The utilities there agreed to allow third-party installation of solar panels generating up to 10 kilowatts of power on homes or businesses. That's enough to power the average house on a sunny day and have a little left over. With no opposition from the utilities, a bill to change Georgia law is expected to pass easily.

But the measure in Florida is a whole different ball game. It would allow for private generation of up to two megawatts of solar power. That would be enough to power 300 homes. Or a medium-size shopping mall -- or an entire WalMart store. That's real power. And that concept is expected to meet some heavy opposition from utilities and the fossil-fuel providers that keep the lights on.

Dooley says she has already been attacked by groups aligned with the billionaire Koch brothers, who have huge interests in energy.

"I've been called a fake conservative, a front for the left," Dooley told Fox News. "If you Google my name, you'll see how laughable that is. I've been called many things, but I've never been called a tree hugger or a liberal."

Everyone involved in the push for an amendment anticipates the Kochs and Florida utilities will come after them with a big money campaign to kill it. All the more reason, says Stephen Smith, for the coalition to hang tough.

"We are not going to be able to beat billion-dollar corporations if we can't hang together," Smith told Fox News. "We all recognize the sort of David and Goliath type of thing. We have got to stand together or we will get mowed down."

To get the measure on the ballot, the Green Tea Coalition must collect nearly 700,000 signatures and get the go-ahead from the Florida Supreme Court. In order to pass, it must receive 60 percent approval from voters.

A poll conducted last fall by Republican pollster Whit Ayres found 74 percent of Floridians approve of what the measure is trying to accomplish.

The vice chairman of the Florida Libertarian Party, Alex Snitker, who is a member of the coalition fighting for the amendment, believes that even in the face of a massive opposition campaign, they can get it done.

"If we can get this thing on the ballot, it will pass," Snitker told a press conference. "They can throw everything but the kitchen sink at it, but it will pass."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

So SolarCity et al are currently illegal in Florida?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I can kind of see how the logic works there. If you can produce energy yourself without having to rely on someone else, that might resonate with conservatives.

Green Tea is loving brilliant name though.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Joementum posted:

Senator Joni Ernst (R-Hog Farm) will give the Republican response to the State of the Union speech.

Oh man, the baby Jesus does love me. I am staying up next week for work to do the SotU (journalist). It's going to be a fun night.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I'm sorry, this administration is genuinely a joke when it comes to the forms of diplomacy. Like, they don't know how to do it and they make huge gaffes all the time.

It makes Condoleezza Rice look like Talleyrand.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Trabisnikof posted:

So SolarCity et al are currently illegal in Florida?

Florida has been fairly hostile to solar recently.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SedanChair posted:

I'm sorry, this administration is genuinely a joke when it comes to the forms of diplomacy. Like, they don't know how to do it and they make huge gaffes all the time.

It also makes Putin look like Hoover.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

SedanChair posted:

It's because the definition of 'good foreign policy' in/for the United States has been redefined to 'didn't start any major wars'.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

On Terra Firma posted:

I can kind of see how the logic works there. If you can produce energy yourself without having to rely on someone else, that might resonate with conservatives.

Honestly one of the top reasons I love my electric car is so when people give me poo poo about it, I can tell them that my car funds American jobs and not Islamic terrorism.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

FAUXTON posted:

It also makes Putin look like Hoover.

:ssh: Hoover is fondly remembered in Europe.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Nckdictator posted:

:ssh: Hoover is fondly remembered in Europe.

He was actually a pretty cool guy.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Initiative text in case anyone is curious.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

Rygar201 posted:

So Governor Jindal and the Republican state house have so badly hosed our States finances that they're now going to have to hack up the higher education budget even more than they already have, the Flesh Hungry Butchers.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/01/college_university_closures_mi.html

So, do any of you dudes work for a company in a real state that's hiring sales people?

Stuff like this is why I want Jindal to run in 2016. He's such an idiot that it'll be hilarious.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

In his peripatic wanderings through the countryside, the American ronin has uncovered the true force behind the so called Ferguson "protests".

Does he actualy believe this poo poo or is it all a show for the plebeians? with west i am never sure.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pengun101 posted:

Does he actualy believe this poo poo or is it all a show for the plebeians? with west i am never sure.

I think he's legit crazy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

There are some legitimate reasons why Florida isn't as friendly to solar power as you might think. We do get a lot of clouds, rain, and severe weather, more so than much of the South and Southwest, but yeah the Florida GOP (read: state government) can usually be counted on to do the worst and/or dumbest thing imaginable.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

On Terra Firma posted:

mebbe they can get elements of the Religious Right onboard by pointing out that solar energy is God's Energy

american industrialists think they know better than the Creator.

it is shameful

if God thought fossil fuels were a good idea, trees would be powered by coal.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 16, 2015

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Applicable to the turtle discussion: http://www.salon.com/2013/11/07/can_science_explain_tea_party_rage/

quote:

THURSDAY, NOV 7, 2013 08:32 AM EST
Can science explain Tea Party rage?
Conservatives, one study shows, find it easier to dismiss the unpleasant consequences of their beliefs
JOSHUA HOLLAND, BILLMOYERS.COM

A growing body of research suggests that we are a nation divided not only by partisanship or how we view various issues, but also by dramatically different cognitive styles. Sociologists and psychologists are getting a better understanding about the ways that deep seated emotional responses effect our ideological viewpoints.

Last week, Moyers & Company caught up withMother Jones science writer Chris Mooney, host of the Inquiring Minds podcast and author of The Republican Brain: the Science of Why They Deny Science – and Reality, to talk about what this research may tell us about the attitudes of those involved in the tea party movement. Below is a lightly-edited transcript of our discussion.

Joshua Holland: Chris, let’s talk about morality. I’m personally offended by the tea partiers’ resistance to giving uninsured people health care. I find it a bit shocking that a political movement could be so filled with animosity toward the idea. But according to NYU social psychologist Jonathan Haidt — and other scholars — conservatives have a different moral compass entirely. Can you tell us a little bit about that?

Chris Mooney: Absolutely. There are many people doing research in the psychology of politics. Jonathan Haidt is a pioneer in the psychology of morality and how that feeds into politics, and it really helps with something like this where you have strong emotional passions that are irreconcilable on the left and the right.

So what you’re describing is his moral foundation of “harm,” which liberals tend to feel more strongly about. These are emotions relating to empathy and compassion – measured by the question of how much someone is suffering and how much that suffering is a moral issue to you. How much is caring for the weak and vulnerable a moral issue to you?

It’s not that conservatives don’t feel that emotion, but they don’t necessarily feel it as strongly. They feel other things more strongly. So to Haidt, this explains the health care debate because liberals feel, most of all, this harm-care-compassion thing. Conservatives feel it a little bit less strongly, even as they have this other morality. Haidt compares it to karma — it’s really interesting — where basically, you’re supposed to get what you deserve. And what really bothers them is somebody not getting what they deserve. So the government getting involved and interfering with people getting what they deserve is really bad. That, I think, is the clash.

Truly shocking that the "Party of Christ" is sunk whole-heartedly in Social Darwinist ideals, while the "more secular" party feels compassion for the downtrodden (sort of, if you ignore the heartless Wall Streeter Democrats).

anonumos fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The RNC did this today:

"RESOLVED, that the Republican National Committee proclaims, “Je suis Charlie.”"

• Locked thread