Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

MrChips posted:

Stellar navigation really isn't all that hard either, actually. If anyone's interested, I happen to own a (mostly complete but functional) Mark IXA bubble sextant, and I know how to use it; next time I'm home on a clear evening, I will take some measurements and write up an effortpost on how the sextant works and how to determine your position with it.

Holding you to this with pics preferred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

MrChips posted:

Stellar navigation really isn't all that hard either, actually. If anyone's interested, I happen to own a (mostly complete but functional) Mark IXA bubble sextant, and I know how to use it; next time I'm home on a clear evening, I will take some measurements and write up an effortpost on how the sextant works and how to determine your position with it.

Do it. This is one of those things that I always forget I was curious about until someone references it.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Nebakenezzer posted:

Watchin' this:

• I'm already imagining Zapp Branigan as the narrator
  • 1:52 - is the past trying to gently caress with us? Ground attendants in ties and milkman-style hats?
  • 3:12 - that poor guy hauling away that big staircase by hand
  • 3:35 - To avoid cock, they've renamed the cockpit the "Pilot's Parlor"
  • 4:25 - the swelling of the music when those Wasp Majors start seems very appropriate
  • 5:15 - "Gives the Stratoliner permission to move; takes a drag on a cigarette"
  • 5:20 - "On the runway, she turns her huge body into the wind, and begins to stretch her muscles." - definitely Zapp
  • 6:15 - we get a shot of the Stratoliner rolling down the runway, and you can see quite a bit of cruff sticking off of the fuselage that isn't on more modern planes.
  • 6:40 - exhaust note on takeoff is admittedly really sexy
  • 7:10 - More Zappery - "She really begins to feel her strength now, mastering the wind with her immense boobs wings..."
  • 8:00 - It launches into a brief history of Pan Am's long distance airline routes. Flying boats aplenty
  • 10:00 - history of the Stratoliner - Boeing engineers smoke pipes
  • 11:27 - Slide rule! Everybody drinks!
  • Actually this whole section is filled with manual engineering tools that I imagine are no longer common
  • 12:25 - the WIND Tunnel
  • 13:55 - Illuminati propaganda on vapor trails has a long history apparently
  • 14:55 - Testing an airliner must have been hard when all your instruments are analogue
  • 15:07 - Airliner to "dominate" the sky
  • 16:37 - The view from the nose of a Stratoliner was pretty awesome
  • 17:00 - Explaining 'Pressurization' for dummies - "it's like totally warm and comfortable and people are bumming cigarettes off of each other"
  • 19:00 - This is interesting - people are playing cards on tables set up between sets of airliner seats.
  • 19:25 - OK we're really back in time - a finely dressed chef is in a full-service kitchen preparing meals
  • "At dinner time a 7 (?!) course meal is served from the ship's galley"
  • 20:11 - look at dat airline food
  • 20:25 - The Stratoliner has curtains like your parent's living room
  • 20:50 - the famous downstairs
  • I know there's a bartender down there but with all the other people crowded down there it's not much of a break
  • 21:30 - haha ok I didn't realize this: most of the Stratoliner's seats convert into berths like on a train
  • also somewhere there is a "dressing room" for passengers
  • "whether your are in a reclining chair, a "sleeperette" (not shown) or a bearth, you will sleep like you were in your own bed."
  • 22:30 - footage of a request for night coffee from the galley. Are you not envious pilots
  • 23:00 - "While you sleep, your stewardess checks your international paperwork"
  • 23:30 - Footage of somebody on an airliner actually making a star observation?

22:36: "Up front, the pace may relax a bit, but the crew's attention never leaves the controls. *shows FE's attention leaving the controls*

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

FSX

plus

https://a2asimulations.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=25

plus

http://www.a2asimulations.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=45

is some of the best sim flying I have ever done.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

MrChips posted:

I would very much enjoy this. For what it's worth.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Plinkey posted:

I used to drive Palmdale to Vegas/Tonopah. It was a really relaxing and scenic drive to Tonopah, the drive to Vegas was boring as poo poo. Although look out for loving cattle in the road. A coworker hit one at night going like 45 by the time he jammed his brakes. Totaled his F250 killed the cow.

One of our contractors totaled his car couple months back after hitting a wild donkey on 95 driving back from Indian Springs. I almost hit one of the drat things earlier last year on the same drive.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Puzzlingly, the FAA navigator's handbook (FAA-H-8083-18) was updated most recently in 2011 as a brand new PDF with actual text and snazzy graphics, and not what I expected, which would be some abandoned 5th generation scan with crooked pages and shadows under the corners and coffee stains and paper clips. One time I gave some thought to pursuing a Navigator certificate for the novelty of it (also Flight Engineer-recip), but some googling turned up some thread with someone asking the same thing and the answer was that there was no one able to give the checkride and was basically impossible. The topic also came up of doing some sort of conversion from a military nav certificate, which is still a real thing.

Also when poking around info for old airman certificates, it turned out there used to be a Link Trainer Operator certificate. Not a "Sim Instructor" with a Link Trainer rating or something like that, but that's what it was called... Link Trainer Operator. (Link Trainers were the ubiquitous IFR sims of the WWII era, and were apparently the only game in town. They were cute little things that were a fully enclosed (and extremely tiny) box, with motion, and little stub wings and stabilizers, I guess, to quell any questions that this was really supposed to be like an airplane)

vessbot fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 15, 2015

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I haven't clicked the links yet, but I know what they are. A2A's 377 plus captain of the ship? It's actually where I started to get to the clip I posted.

edit: yup!

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Hey remember that Thai rocket wheel thing I posted a couple weeks back? Well someone made a megacut complete with one that was... very :jeb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXGkpwMm8ac

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

vessbot posted:

Puzzlingly, the FAA navigator's handbook (FAA-H-8083-18) was updated most recently in 2011 as a brand new PDF with actual text and snazzy graphics, and not what I expected, which would be some abandoned 5th generation scan with crooked pages and shadows under the corners and coffee stains and paper clips. One time I gave some thought to pursuing a Navigator certificate for the novelty of it (also Flight Engineer-recip), but some googling turned up some thread with someone asking the same thing and the answer was that there was no one able to give the checkride and was basically impossible. The topic also came up of doing some sort of conversion from a military nav certificate, which is still a real thing.

Also when poking around info for old airman certificates, it turned out there used to be a Link Trainer Operator certificate. Not a "Sim Instructor" with a Link Trainer rating or something like that, but that's what it was called... Link Trainer Operator. (Link Trainers were the ubiquitous IFR sims of the WWII era, and were apparently the only game in town. They were cute little things that were a fully enclosed (and extremely tiny) box, with motion, and little stub wings and stabilizers, I guess, to quell any questions that this was really supposed to be like an airplane)

About twenty years ago, there was a guy with most of a PT-22 in his hanger that had two of those, one of which mostly still worked. I used to go over to his hanger and beg to sit in them and pretend to fly.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

vessbot posted:

Struggle through the nav certificate, become the only checkride/trainer guy in town, monopolise that market.

e: re the link trainer, have this:

I saw one at the Boeing museum in Seattle

I'm pretty sure the wings and stabilisers were so the guy outside could look at what you were doing with the control surfaces

simplefish fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 15, 2015

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?
My old Squadron had a link trainer in full working order back when I was in the Air Training Corps (25 years now!) Fond memories of the smell!

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

reddeathdrinker posted:

My old Squadron had a link trainer in full working order back when I was in the Air Training Corps (25 years now!) Fond memories of the smell!

You mean in operational training usage or as a museum piece?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

simplefish posted:

e: re the link trainer, have this:

I saw one at the Boeing museum in Seattle

I'm pretty sure the wings and stabilisers were so the guy outside could look at what you were doing with the control surfaces

It looks like a biggie size version of those coin-operated rides you see at shopping malls. Is there something up with the perspective of that picture, or is it really that size?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Davin Valkri posted:

It looks like a biggie size version of those coin-operated rides you see at shopping malls. Is there something up with the perspective of that picture, or is it really that size?

They seriously are that small
https://www.google.com/search?q=lin...ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Davin Valkri posted:

Is there something up with the perspective of that picture, or is it really that size?

No, it's a very accurate illustration:

EpicPhoton
Feb 1, 2013

You have the opportunity to take a one way trip with a crew of ~20 to Mars. You'll be supplied, sent food and equipment once you land.
But you might never come back. You might never talk face-to-face with anyone from back home again. You might die on a cold, dusty rock.

Do you go?

Davin Valkri posted:

Beaten, but here's the display in the Museum of Flight in Seattle.
They're for training instrument and radio, specifically.

Edit: And yes, you can tour most of the museum in Google streetview.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Tough sleddin' for this Blinder crew:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Geoj posted:

No, it's a very accurate illustration:

Holy poo poo, that's what was in the lobby of the training building at Boeing? I though it was one of those grocery store rides, just an old timey one...

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Nazi Concorde, from New York to San Francisco in two hours.

From the pilot episode of amazons Man in the High Castle adaptation, pro watch:
http://www.amazon.com/pilotseason

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

MrChips posted:

It all comes down to cost. If Beechcraft wanted to develop an all-new King Air, utilising the latest techniques and materials, it would probably cost a billion dollars. A billion dollars to build an aircraft that might be 10% better than the original King Air design fitted with modern engines and avionics. Nobody is willing to absorb that cost considering they sell in the low hundreds per year (emphasis on low). The other thing is that unlike the airlines, corporate clients are somewhat less sensitive to operating cost, and small improvements in performance don't have anywhere near the same effect in corporate aircraft. In an airline, you live and die by single percentage points, but what does a single percentage point get you in a King Air? Half a gallon of fuel per flying hour, three additional miles per hour or 40ish pounds of useful load.

Oh I absolutely agree. But I like to wonder what if and then make ranting posts on the internet about it. Still a carbon fiber super critical wing and a fadec controlled turbine engine spinning a 6-8 blade composite prop are cool things to think about.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

VOR LOC posted:

Oh I absolutely agree. But I like to wonder what if and then make ranting posts on the internet about it. Still a carbon fiber super critical wing and a fadec controlled turbine engine spinning a 6-8 blade composite prop are cool things to think about.

Diamond Aircraft has been building newly designed small/light aircraft for a while now. All new designs, fairly successful from what I understand. Companies like Beech and Cessna aren't going to create something from scratch because a) if it ain't broke, and b) the cost of tooling and engineering is already paid for. If you're a new(er) company like Diamond, you're starting from scratch, so you might as well start modern.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Watching people fly the DA20 and DA40 makes them look super uncomfortable.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

drunkill posted:

You sold me on that show incredibly easily. I had never heard of it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

drunkill posted:

Holy gently caress that's a hell of a visual. I'm down for this show now.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Inacio posted:

You sold me on that show incredibly easily. I had never heard of it.

Hirohito International Airport. :stare:

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Linedance posted:

Diamond Aircraft has been building newly designed small/light aircraft for a while now. All new designs, fairly successful from what I understand. Companies like Beech and Cessna aren't going to create something from scratch because a) if it ain't broke, and b) the cost of tooling and engineering is already paid for. If you're a new(er) company like Diamond, you're starting from scratch, so you might as well start modern.

c) it passed certification in the '60's and it's FAR easier to grandfather in changes to an existing certified design than to pass certification again. That's why the latest Boeing mid-sized jet that's 140' long, 112' wingspan, 85,000kg MTOW with 220 seats and digital everything is called a "737", when the 737 that passed certification is a regional jet that's 94' long, 93' wingspan 50,300kg MTOW with 120 seats and basically ran on steam.

But yeah, if you HAVE to do it from scratch, you might as well do it with modern technologies

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 16, 2015

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

holocaust bloopers posted:

Holy gently caress that's a hell of a visual. I'm down for this show now.
Some of the CGI in the pilot is a bit dodgy, but it really is a neat show.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Saturn 1B first stage.

Falcon 9 crash from the attempted landing of the 1st stage after launching ISS supply mission.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CommieGIR posted:

Falcon 9 crash from the attempted landing of the 1st stage after launching ISS supply mission.

The video: https://vine.co/v/OjqeYWWpVWK

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Is there a reason they don't just parachute it into the water and then pick it up? Seems less demanding than getting it to land on a tiny platform using rockets. If they rinse it off quickly corrosion shouldn't be a problem.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Lessons were learned that day... expensive lessons. Also I kind of like the thought of someone just leaving his iphone/android with vine running down on the landing pad.

Barnsy posted:

Is there a reason they don't just parachute it into the water and then pick it up? Seems less demanding than getting it to land on a tiny platform using rockets. If they rinse it off quickly corrosion shouldn't be a problem.

Uhhh it's not as loving cool. :smugdog:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Barnsy posted:

Because coming down at any speed into the water can risk damage they are trying to avoid with this style of landing.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Barnsy posted:

Saltwater corrosion would definitely still be a problem. And "rinse it off quickly" is now an entirely new engineering problem, because who's doing the rinsing?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Barnsy posted:

Recovery, refurbishing and inspection of a rocket stage after saltwater incursion is time-consuming and expensive; we learned that with the shuttle SRBs. Plus splashing an empty tube without damage is one thing, doing it with a complex liquid-fueled engine is a lot more difficult and requires much bigger parachutes.

The ultimate goal is to land the stage back on... land. It'll fly all the way back to Canaveral and land there on rocket power. Their goal is to have it ready for re-use in under a day; just truck it back to the launchpad, re-fuel and go again. The barge landing is just an intermediate step.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Barnsy posted:

Because boats and people to drive the boats, and the cranes to haul stuff up are all expensive as hell, they are also slow.
The boat is a test article. In the future, the plan is to fly the rocket back to Texas, and land it on the pad next to the refurb facility. Save a lot of man hours and days in transit.
Also, rockets are hot, and tend to explode when you put them in cold water.

Plus, this is way cooler.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Linedance posted:

Diamond is pretty much dead as a company these days. After the disaster of the DJet program bankrupting the company (and a failed sale to a Middle East wealth fund) they've said that they will attempt to fulfill their order backlog and that's it, and there is quite a bit of doubt that they will even be able to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Because coming down at any speed into the water can risk damage they are trying to avoid with this style of landing.

Surely having all that weight land on the engines is just going to smash them up?