Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

flakeloaf posted:

display's not good enough, it should print out the list on proprietary paper, along with coupons for things you've searched for on amazon or liked on g+

don't forget the "special offers"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Main Paineframe posted:

holy poo poo this guy is great (in a super-evil kind of way)

chahal is a predatory monster and is not great in any way

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

kalstrams posted:

what happened to kickstarter with small chips or sth like that to track your lost socks etc, btw?

it was total idiot garbage or a scam like everything else on kickstarter? hth

atmz
Jan 5, 2005

lurk lurk lurk
seriously what's Soylents plan

like, they wanna grow and feed people who aren't techbros in theory

but what's their growth story? replacing food for low income families? do they realize how classist and paternalist that sounds? (lol no)

"Oh, the poor can only afford mcdonalds? Let's give them healthy tasteless nutrient shakes"

"we'll call it: Soylent"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
feed the third world with overpriced incomplete nutritional supplements that require high-tech manufacture, packaging, and distribution

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they'll be crop dusting villages with soylent powder by the end of the project

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

TMZ posted:

to get a contract from some abusive tech company like FB or Google that wants to put coder noses to grindstones even harder. they only need one big sale

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
goes well with the immense fart clouds the soylent eaters will be dusting everyone around them with

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

infernal machines posted:

feed the third world with overpriced incomplete nutritional supplements that require high-tech manufacture, packaging, and distribution

okay so you won't trust us to vaccinate your children against polio, and the last time we came here we stole your children and turned them into a form of currency, and before that we redrew your borders and named the new countries after ourselves and then hosed off and let you fight it out

but now we're back with a mostly-tasteless powder that we promise you is nutritious food even though we don't eat it because we know how a pot works

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

flakeloaf posted:

okay so you won't trust us to vaccinate your children against polio, and the last time we came here we stole your children and turned them into a form of currency, and before that we redrew your borders and named the new countries after ourselves and then hosed off and let you fight it out

but now we're back with a mostly-tasteless powder that we promise you is nutritious food even though we don't eat it because we know how a pot works
maybe throw in some fragile laptop computers that dont work like any other laptop computers on earth as a deal sweetner?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

FMguru posted:

maybe throw in some fragile laptop computers that dont work like any other laptop computers on earth as a deal sweetner?

don't throw them in, throw them out! (of a helicopter and next to a village and just hope for the best while flying away)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

one spergshake per child

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

flakeloaf posted:

we don't eat it because we know how a pot works

nice racism

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

so my father told me an interesting story of how this one nomadic tribe in africa prepares their meals....

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Main Paineframe posted:

internet_of_things.txt

seriously basically every internet-enabled kitchen appliance right now is basically "a normal appliance, except you can control it from your phone"

my favorite is probably the kitchen scale that has no display of its own so it's literally unusable unless you connect it to your ipad to use as a screen
To be fair why waste money on an LCD display that none of the users of the scale will ever be able to see?

infernal machines posted:

i hope you also noticed that it's an iOS screenshot photoshopped onto an android
Oh I just thought Samsung had copied IOS to that degree already

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

As a Millennial I posted:

we found the guy who bought a wemo!!!

taxpayer money was spent

*lights another $100 bill*

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
what kind of poop do consumers of soylent produce ?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Metrication posted:

more soylent

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Metrication posted:

once they're done intentionally killing their intestinal flora, none

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

more soylent

they just fart more flavourless white dust

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

helpless tech bubel manchildren who must mix powder with water as their only form of sustenance because they cannot cook are not a race

a race needs children and i can think of a few barriers to that

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the only semi useful iot device I have seen was a wood pellet fired smoker which had a status and control page you could access from anywhere. really nice because you could be out and about doing things instead of having to be near the smoker for 12-14 hours to babysit temperatures.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm about to tie in hausbus this year but it's gonna be for water/sewer tank/propane levels

Thinking of hacking a bathroom scale to keep under the propane tank - weight is the only way you can really figure out what the gently caress is going on. the gauges are worthless

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i could see a remotely accessible slowcooker being useful if you're doin somethin that needs to have the first hour or two on high heat and then gets ratcheted down to low for the last 6-8 hours or whatever

but they've had programmable slowcookers that already have this capability for awhile now so really what you're doin is monitoring your food to make sure that it hasn't accidentally burned your house down during your 16 hour software dev shift at perpetual crunch time startup

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i could see a remotely accessible slowcooker being useful if you're doin somethin that needs to have the first hour or two on high heat and then gets ratcheted down to low for the last 6-8 hours or whatever

but they've had programmable slowcookers that already have this capability for awhile now so really what you're doin is monitoring your food to make sure that it hasn't accidentally burned your house down during your 16 hour software dev shift at perpetual crunch time startup

I'd think that watching heat input v. temperature rise would be a nice thing. Right when you get past the 155F stall on pork, back it off to low.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Shifty Pony posted:

the only semi useful iot device I have seen was a wood pellet fired smoker which had a status and control page you could access from anywhere. really nice because you could be out and about doing things instead of having to be near the smoker for 12-14 hours to babysit temperatures.

didn't crip eatin bread make one?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

TMZ posted:

Fooling enough people with money that the founder gets to cash out millions with a reputation for success*, same as every useless startup

*actual success not required

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 16, 2015

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

horrible dating site that people signed up for by accident on facebook getting ~*disrupted*~ by Tinder

quote:

Dating service Zoosk has laid off 15 percent of its employees this week, sources told TechCrunch, and the company now confirms. According to a spokesperson, the move was made as part of a larger effort to lower expenses in many areas. News of the layoffs follows the exit of Zoosk’s founders from their leadership roles last month, and confirmation that the company was indefinitely delaying its IPO plans.

The headcount mentioned on Zoosk’s SEC filing referenced 168 employees, but figures cited in 2014 saw that number had grown to 174. (Zoosk has yet to provide us with its current headcount, though we’ve asked.)

In April 2014, Zoosk filed plans with the SEC for its $100 million initial public offering. The company, backed by Canaan Partners, Bessemer Venture Partners and ATA Ventures, at the time was seeing a net loss of $2.6 million in 2013 on revenues of $178 million. In addition, the filing revealed that the company was spending a lot on marketing and saw Tinder as a real threat to its business.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

qirex posted:

horrible dating site that people signed up for by accident on facebook getting ~*disrupted*~ by Tinder

holy poo poo i had no idea tinder had completely taken over the market like this

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
what's up with tech companies and lovely names

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
also i thought tinder was hookups not dates

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

what's up with tech companies and lovely names

we won awards for worst original name

"SMTPAPI"

simta pappy

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

also i thought tinder was hookups not dates

turns out what people actually want is to gently caress

Apr 7, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

turns out what people actually want is to gently caress

here comes the airplane!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

JewKiller 3000 posted:

holy poo poo i had no idea tinder had completely taken over the market like this

that's just mobile app sessions, i'm sure the major dating websites are in no danger because of lonely 30-50somethings with credit cards who don't use "gently caress today" apps

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

flakeloaf posted:

lonely 30-50somethings with credit cards
:negative:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

maybe it's because I'm An Old but when I tried tinder it seemed like most of the women had "not looking for a hookup" in their blurb

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qirex posted:

maybe it's because I'm An Old but when I tried tinder it seemed like most of the women had "not looking for a hookup" in their blurb

dude they all put that in. i think it may be even pre-filled when you check F

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
THEYRE ON A SEMI ANONYMOUS RANDOM SEX HOOKUP APP. COME THE gently caress ON.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

*downloads Tinder*
It's gently caress time.

• Locked thread