Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Nettle Soup posted:

I ended up with an Orchid for Christmas, any idea how I keep this thing alive? It had pink flowers and a ton of buds when it arrived, then they all fell off at once and now it just has big green leaves and grim looking stalks. It wasn't terribly expensive but I'd like it to not die.
I see you're going with that partial hydroponic option, that sounds like a really good method. Give it bright shade. Most orchids burn if they get direct, full sun. They might be able to handle a few hours of direct full sun in a windowsill if you have tinted or double paned windows (blocks more UV). Also try not to let it get below about 50 Fahrenheit.

Biggest issue I see with most store bought orchids (phalaenopsis and some dendrobium/oncidium/cattleya) is that they come packed in sphagnum moss. Most of these orchids' roots love two things: water and air. The moss is great for keeping it alive when they need to be shipped from Hawaii/California/Florida and it may take a week or two to get to the store, then another month before someone buys them, but it makes it really easy to overwater and kill them once you've got them home. First thing I do is pull it out of the moss, trim off any roots that have already started to rot, and move it to a very coarse, quick drying medium (the packaged stuff at chain stores is pretty good, but there's a seller around here that has coarser mixes that I like better). After they've been repotted, they can pretty much be watered as often as every other day or as rarely as once every week or two. Hand water it/run it under the faucet/submerge it in a bucket, they'll be fine so long as the roots get a chance to fully dry and get some dry air around them between watering.

I've actually got a separated phalaenopsis keiki that's been sitting in the open air in a piece of tupperware for the past six months and it's growing like crazy. I'll just pour some water in once a week and the pour it back out after an hour or two. It gets fertilizer maybe once every two months and it's already blooming after a little over a year since it first formed.

zeroprime fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

"keep it dry" is basically my strategy for most plants. I find if I don't then I overwater and everything rots into a horrible furry mess. Probably the reason I only have a gangly basil and the amaryllis, now that I think about it...

I put it in the beads anyway, it seems happy enough so far, but I need to get it a bigger pot/jar/milk jug so I'm gonna wander down to the garden center and do that tomorrow. Thanks for all your help guys!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

A long shot perhaps, but can anyone identify this tree and/or its seeds for me?

About a month or so ago I was walking around gathering seeds to germinate (only others I found were some red maples... I was a little late for seed gathering), and found this tree with a boatload of seeds on the ground below it. I have zero clue what kind of tree it is.

Any ideas?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I'm not a tree expert but the branches look like an elm. Do a search for elm seeds and see if what's still up in the tree looks similar.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I'm not a tree expert but the branches look like an elm. Do a search for elm seeds and see if what's still up in the tree looks similar.

I don't think its an elm because elm seeds typically have a papery "wing" around them that doesn't usually shed from the rest of the seed.

kedo do you have another picture of the tree or leaves? Or a link to that location on Google Streetview so I can see the tree more (or just a screenshot, so you don't have to give away your location if you like)? Those seeds look sort of like black locust seeds, but the tree form doesn't right and I'm sure you would have noticed all the empty seed pods if that was the case.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Oh, good idea. Here's the tree on street view. Here's a screenshot of the foliage:

I don't remember seeing any empty seed pods anywhere. I wondered if the seeds came from anywhere else, but there were no other trees or large plants within a dozen feet or so that could have dropped such a huge number of seeds right in that specific spot.

I can't tell in that photo if the light stuff scattered throughout the leaves are dead flowers like in this photo of a black locust, or seed pods. The leaf/branch structure looks similar, though.

kedo fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 14, 2015

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
From the summer picture it looks like a Ailanthus altissima or Tree of Heaven. It's a voracious nusiance in some places and downright invasive in others. Considering these things also stink you might want to consider not planting those seeds, unless of course you like invasive species that are nearly impossible to eradicate and smell like rear end.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Is that the tree that smells like jizz every spring?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Marchegiana posted:

From the summer picture it looks like a Ailanthus altissima or Tree of Heaven. It's a voracious nusiance in some places and downright invasive in others. Considering these things also stink you might want to consider not planting those seeds, unless of course you like invasive species that are nearly impossible to eradicate and smell like rear end.

Well I was planning on trying to bonsai it, but if it's going to stink then maybe I won't. Blarg.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The tree that notoriously smells like semen is a Callery pear. Another bad-smeller to avoid is the female ginkgo. The male is fine, but the female bears and drops fruits that smell like vomit.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Another bad-smeller to avoid is the female ginkgo. The male is fine, but the female bears and drops fruits that smell like vomit.

I had a coworker at a garden store I work at say he loved the smell of ginkgo lmao

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m-8l3V38Ps

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Thanks Plant thread, now I'm wondering what cum smells like.

edit: I guess it wouldn't be too hard to find out, either. :stonkhat:

Smugworth fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 15, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A swimming pool.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007

Marchegiana posted:

I think this is correct. If you do a Google image search for "ailanthus altissima in winter" you'll find several images that match your photo with the dry clumps of seeds at the ends of the branches. The only thing that bothers me is that I can't find a single picture anywhere of the seeds outside of their paper wing thingy.

And they do kind of smell. Best description I've heard is burned peanut butter.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Pogo the Clown posted:

I think this is correct. If you do a Google image search for "ailanthus altissima in winter" you'll find several images that match your photo with the dry clumps of seeds at the ends of the branches. The only thing that bothers me is that I can't find a single picture anywhere of the seeds outside of their paper wing thingy.

And they do kind of smell. Best description I've heard is burned peanut butter.

That reminds me of another common houseplant whose name escapes me. It's very small, but its leaves are very dark and have very prominent veins that were colored pink. When the leaves were broken, they smelled very prominently of lettuce?

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007

kid sinister posted:

That reminds me of another common houseplant whose name escapes me. It's very small, but its leaves are very dark and have very prominent veins that were colored pink. When the leaves were broken, they smelled very prominently of lettuce?

Fittonia albivenis?

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The tree that notoriously smells like semen is a Callery pear. Another bad-smeller to avoid is the female ginkgo. The male is fine, but the female bears and drops fruits that smell like vomit.

Female gingkos are so worth the smell (which isn't so bad, imo). They sell for over $20 a pound, cleaned. A local cemetery has promised me the seeds from their stand of 100 year old ginkgos next year. Apparently when they collected them and dumped them down a ravine this past year, they had so many it filled a truck bed!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Pogo the Clown posted:

Fittonia albivenis?

Bingo, that was it. Thanks!

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I've got a question about aloe. I've had this plant for 12+ years now and it's been repotted at least twice. I'm at the point now where it's almost getting too big (I love it so much, as does my cat) and believe if I repot it again it'll grow even bigger. Anyway that's not my issue, all is cool I just had a (probably stupid) question about the stuff I marked in this picture.

Are these little offshoots to the side coming from the same plant (as in branches so to speak) or are they new aloe plants that are trying to grow? I ask because I don't want several aloe plants growing in the same pot obviously and would remove them but if they are part of the main aloe plant I'll leave them alone.

(Don't mind the plant to the right of it. It's slowly being nursed back to health after we found it near death at Wal-Mart for $0.15 a few months back)

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Tyson Tomko posted:

I've got a question about aloe. I've had this plant for 12+ years now and it's been repotted at least twice. I'm at the point now where it's almost getting too big (I love it so much, as does my cat) and believe if I repot it again it'll grow even bigger. Anyway that's not my issue, all is cool I just had a (probably stupid) question about the stuff I marked in this picture.

Are these little offshoots to the side coming from the same plant (as in branches so to speak) or are they new aloe plants that are trying to grow? I ask because I don't want several aloe plants growing in the same pot obviously and would remove them but if they are part of the main aloe plant I'll leave them alone.

(Don't mind the plant to the right of it. It's slowly being nursed back to health after we found it near death at Wal-Mart for $0.15 a few months back)

They're coming from the same plant but will grow to be independent if you remove them. There come from fat trailing roots called rhizomes that help it reproduce this way; you've probably seen them before when re-potting.

e: size wise I'd say it looks fine to stay in that pot. If you want you can take it out, hack away some roots and put it back. My cat also likes to eat aloe (what an rear end in a top hat!)

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

gender illusionist posted:

They're coming from the same plant but will grow to be independent if you remove them. There come from fat trailing roots called rhizomes that help it reproduce this way; you've probably seen them before when re-potting.

e: size wise I'd say it looks fine to stay in that pot. If you want you can take it out, hack away some roots and put it back. My cat also likes to eat aloe (what an rear end in a top hat!)

Awesome I was hoping it was some sweet rhizome action, thanks!

Also my cat can't stand the taste (which is really good for me and the plant) but that doesn't stop him from rubbing all over it for hours on end. I have to de-fur the thing once a week, especially when it gets more spiney than usual.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Any recommendations for good brands/a good place to buy terrariums? I recently germinated a lemon tree and it's doing great but will probably outgrow my ghetto homemade greenhouse (a glass mixing bowl plopped upside down on top of it) in a month or so. It can live outside during the summer, but during the winter I'll need to keep it inside. I have a cat that consumes anything green and leafy, so until it's tall enough that he can't reach the leaves, I need to protect it.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Bonus photo:

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
I have recently repotted a pothos vine, a Dracaena marginata, and a split leaf philodendron into regular orange terra cotta pots. Within two weeks, I am seeing a LOT of grey mold growing on both the outside surface of the pots, the inside surface, and on the soil itself of the three plants. I did use an old bag of potting soil when I did this, I'm wondering if I should rinse the roots, repot with all fresh soil in black plastic pots, and just hope for the best from the plants? I use distilled water for all soil watering and misting, and I know the difference between flouride and other mineral buildup, and mold.

Would washing the pots in a bleach solution take care of the mold issue? I can also gas the pots with paradichlorobenzine, but I dunno if either the bleach or the para would leave a residue that would kill the plants. I mean, they're cheap, but if I can keep the pots for other plants someday, I'd like to. Thanks!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

(Deleted because of my utter failure to read what you actually said)

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you
I had something similar happen to a pothos because I was overwatering it. I removed what mould I could, let the soil dry out and sprinkled a little cinnamon on top and it got rid of it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

So I guess I'm vice president of the Bay Area Carnivorous Plant Society now.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Congratulations, Kenning! As you're vice-president of the carnivorous plant society now, can I petition you to fund additional grants to genetically engineer real life triffids? Or at the very least, a 50% off coupon for the next plant sale?

Long time, no see, plant thread. How's it been going? Since it's been unseasonably hot these last couple of weeks (zone 9 :whatup:), I've decided to get an early foot on gardening by winter sowing with some handmade paper seedling pots, but I've realized that I got a problem. I have way too many seeds than I have time for. If any of y'all are interested, I have these seeds to share:

Dill heading towards Tyson
Cosmic purple carrots
Spinach Mustard (great for drought and heat)
Swiss Chard
heading towards Jerome Louis
Radish - french Breakfast variety
Habanero heading towards Tyson
Marigold, French Dwarf Double heading towards Tyson
Lupine, Russell hybrids heading towards Jerome Louis
Cilantro

I only request that if you're interested, that you take a minimum of two seed packets each so that way it won't be murder on postage stamps.

I also have a lucky bamboo, and a pineapple dracaena that I don't mind giving away, but those are grown plants. :v:

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 2, 2015

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

EagerSleeper posted:

If any of y'all are interested, I have these seeds to share

That's very cool and very kind of you. The wifey and I would love to get some habenros and/or Marigolds pretty pretty please. If neither of those 2 are available there's nothing wrong with some random dill too. I wish it was spring already so I could get started with everything.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tyson Tomko posted:

I wish it was spring already so I could get started with everything.

The true spring is in your heart~ :rory:

Marigolds, habanero, and random dill coming up! Do you have private messages, or an email that I can contact you for details?

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

EagerSleeper posted:

The true spring is in your heart~ :rory:

Marigolds, habanero, and random dill coming up! Do you have private messages, or an email that I can contact you for details?

Thank you!! Yeah I'm going to start some catnip inside and maybe a few other things, but the real deal spring will be here before I know it.

PM is fine, or you could email me at my username at gmail it's all good with me.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Alright, I sent those seeds your way. Hopefully they don't get turned around at the post office because I put two stamps on that sucker, and maybe it'll get there soon.

Also, maybe later I can post some pics of the plants that I have that are blooming now. Been a while since we'vehad any of that.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

EagerSleeper posted:

Alright, I sent those seeds your way. Hopefully they don't get turned around at the post office because I put two stamps on that sucker, and maybe it'll get there soon.

Also, maybe later I can post some pics of the plants that I have that are blooming now. Been a while since we'vehad any of that.

Thank you!

Hopefully I'll be able to post some pics of these seeds all grown up when the time comes. It'll be like receiving pictures of an adopted kid/animal overseas you gave money too haha.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

EagerSleeper posted:

Congratulations, Kenning! As you're vice-president of the carnivorous plant society now, can I petition you to fund additional grants to genetically engineer real life triffids? Or at the very least, a 50% off coupon for the next plant sale?

Long time, no see, plant thread. How's it been going? Since it's been unseasonably hot these last couple of weeks (zone 9 :whatup:), I've decided to get an early foot on gardening by winter sowing with some handmade paper seedling pots, but I've realized that I got a problem. I have way too many seeds than I have time for. If any of y'all are interested, I have these seeds to share:

Dill heading towards Tyson
Cosmic purple carrots
Spinach Mustard (great for drought and heat)
Swiss Chard
Radish, French Breakfast variety
Habanero heading towards Tyson
Marigold, French Dwarf Double heading towards Tyson
Lupine, Russell hybrids
Cilantro

I only request that if you're interested, that you take a minimum of two seed packets each so that way it won't be murder on postage stamps.

I also have a lucky bamboo, and a pineapple dracaena that I don't mind giving away, but those are grown plants. :v:

Very cool of you. Just moved into a place with a huge yard and am getting into gardening, would love to take the Spinach Mustard, Swiss Chard, and Lupine off your hands -- I'll send you a PM, thanks a ton!

robotindisguise
Mar 22, 2003
Anyone use either mail order or online vendors for seeds/small plants? I have an enormous yard I would like to fill, but all the nurseries around me are mundane in their selections with fairly high prices and pretty terrible service.... Lowes has been my go to, but I would much rather support someone else's mom and pop store. Zone 9a in Florida if it matters.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

You should build a bog in a raised bed. You're in an absolutely ideal climate for carnivorous plants. It could be a real centerpiece! There are lots of ways to acquire carnivorous plants online.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
There's a lot of really good mom and pop stores for both plants and seeds. I'm sure a whole bunch of people can chime in and give their favorites. So naturally, I'm going to do the same.

The bulk of my seeds I usually order from Victory Seed Company. They're a small family-owned business dedicated to preservation of rare and heirloom varieties of open-pollinated seeds. Their prices are very reasonable, and their customer service is excellent. Southern Exposure is another good one, they specialize in heirloom varieties that are well-suited to southern climate zones.

For landscaping plants, my absolute favorite place is right in your backyard, Mail Order Natives in Lee, FL. As you can gather by the name they specialize entirely in native plants, and have a lot of oddball things you don't usually find elsewhere (like pawpaw and tupelo). I think I've bought a tree or a shrub from them at least once a year for the past 5 years. The plants tend to be smaller, so if you get a tree it will usually be only a couple years old and may take longer to look like a real tree. This can be an advantage though, because shipping costs are less and it gives the plant a better chance to be established. My first tree from them was a Chionanthus virginiana which was about 8 inches tall when it was shipped to me. It's now a nice 4-foot specimen and started blooming last year.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Alright, I have four seed packets heading towards Jerome Louis right now. That's going to be the Swiss chard, lupine, spinach mustard, and a :siren:special packet of mystery seeds:siren: all ready to go. These seeds are going to be awesome. :madmax:

If anybody else wants some seeds for themselves, the seeds that I have available are:

Cilantro
Cosmic purple carrots
and Radish - French Breakfast

Every packet of seeds that I sent out has also had a bonus packet of seeds added of species that are pretty hard to find online. Think of it like the special foil trading card of the plant world.

Thank you everyone so far who has shown interest in taking these seeds off my hands. I'm getting ready to move, so I'm downsizing my collection. It's also great being able to get these seeds out of my closet, and into eager hands. Early spring cleaning is awesome!

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

robotindisguise posted:

Anyone use either mail order or online vendors for seeds/small plants? I have an enormous yard I would like to fill, but all the nurseries around me are mundane in their selections with fairly high prices and pretty terrible service.... Lowes has been my go to, but I would much rather support someone else's mom and pop store. Zone 9a in Florida if it matters.
If you want interesting, look at plantdelights.com

They're not cheap, but they do grow some extremely rare plants and have about the best selection of aroids you'll find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robotindisguise
Mar 22, 2003
Thank you for the suggestions...I now have a ton of mockups to do in Photoshop before I can make some purchases.

Yes. I do have to get approval on hobby spending.