Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Michaellaneous posted:

And when the planets align again, he will come out of the depths of our earth to announce the new game and turn it into a PR nightmare.

I'll bet four airdrops it'll be a massively overhyped version of whatever the current trend is, except f2p with a cash shop model and a bunch of promised features they'll add "soon".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Haroshia posted:

I'll bet four airdrops it'll be a massively overhyped version of whatever the current trend is, except f2p with a cash shop model and a bunch of promised features they'll add "soon".

thats already happening its called everquest next

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Eonwe posted:

thats already happening its called everquest next

Don't worry, this time things will be different. :toot:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Honestly, the best things goons can do is:
1. Make fun of people who bought this game
2. Wait until it is free to play
3. Make fun of people who lost their carebear packages to goons
4. Shitpost some more

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Michaellaneous posted:

Honestly, the best things goons can do is:
1. Make fun of people who bought this game
2. Wait until it is free to play
3. Make fun of people who lost their carebear packages to goons
4. Shitpost some more

:agreed:

also sorry knifegrab i didnt mean to be a dick, you are probably a cool guy

lets :justpost: together

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

So I was running with two pubbies and chalked up 3 kills of people who think they're going to take on 3 lumberjacks with their little sticks and bows, finally we come across some ammo for a gun one of the guys had, and shortly after came across some guy and his friend who obviously called in an airdrop. Thinking he was some godlike player, he started telling us to drop our poo poo before shooting at the ground near us, so the guy in our little group with the gun shot and killed him pretty much immediately, and then his friend sprinted away. So we got an extra 1911, some ammo for it, an empty AR15, and a combat knife out of it. Then we all slowly starved to death as every berry bush in the server was glitched and not allowing us to pick them, and as we all know blackberries are the only current source of sustenance in game.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Dvsilverwing posted:

So I was running with two pubbies and chalked up 3 kills of people who think they're going to take on 3 lumberjacks with their little sticks and bows, finally we come across some ammo for a gun one of the guys had, and shortly after came across some guy and his friend who obviously called in an airdrop. Thinking he was some godlike player, he started telling us to drop our poo poo before shooting at the ground near us, so the guy in our little group with the gun shot and killed him pretty much immediately, and then his friend sprinted away. So we got an extra 1911, some ammo for it, an empty AR15, and a combat knife out of it. Then we all slowly starved to death as every berry bush in the server was glitched and not allowing us to pick them, and as we all know blackberries are the only current source of sustenance in game.

sounds like the airdrop dude got the last laugh :smug:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dvsilverwing posted:

you have to have your fists out to pick up berries, its pretty dumb

also after you make a bow your first thing to craft should be a bow drill

it takes a plank, a stick, and some cloth I think

when you chop down a tree you'll get some logs, you can start a campfire with these logs (even through prox - doesn't have to be in your inventory) and cook wolf meat from the wolves who have constantly been annoying you

just be aware that to craft wolf steak you have to use wolf meat in the discovery crafting thing and "discover it" just like any other recipe

eonwe fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 16, 2015

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Blazing Zero posted:

sounds like the airdrop dude got the last laugh :smug:

Nah, I logged out before my hydration hit 0%, I'll log back in later when the loot hotfix is up as I'm right outside a few warehouses that have breakable boxes in them and a bunch of tool chests.

Also that was the second group of pubbies I met, the first was at some gas station, there were 3 of us at first, then there were like 10 and most of them went off to forage for berries, I went into a house to check the cabinets real quick and by the time I left the house they were gone and I never saw them again. :(

Eonwe posted:

you have to have your fists out to pick up berries, its pretty dumb

I was running through berry fields with my axe out earlier spamming E and was picking them just fine. Maybe it's having a gun in your hand that does it?

Eonwe posted:

also after you make a bow your first thing to craft should be a bow drill

Ah, I figured you needed a lighter or matches considering I found charcoal on some guy I branch'd to death. Also, that's where I found my axe.

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 16, 2015

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Eonwe posted:

i dont get why someone would think this thread was arguing that people should buy it

like, read the OP

my quote said this has no content, the OP himself said don't buy it yet

Smedley will gently caress this up like he always does

that doesn't change the fact that you can have fun loving with other people in the game and at least you don't have to read Cyrillic to navigate

True. Everyone should wait until it launches and is F2P so we don't have to pay $20 to Alpha/Beta their game for them. Once it is free, I am all for going after those planes and some guy just spent 5 bucks for a bunch of guns I just took. It will be hilarious.

Anyone mad at SOE being full of poo poo and not seeing it coming, or not knowing this entire company is comprised from the island of misfit developers (And quite literally a laughing stock in the industry) has no one to blame but themselves. I find it amusing seeing posts saying, "I cannot believe SOE lied" when they have been doing nothing but, since even before when they were 989. Hell at this point even my Dog runs away if she sees the SOE logo on my computer screen.

Anyway, see you when it's P2W for Free! This may create a whole new genre. Steal to Win!

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 16, 2015

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
If you need a goon topic or post to tell you why it's probably a bad idea to pay for an early-access zombie MMO with some p2w features that is going f2p after alpha/beta, you're an idiot and should stay away from the internet. Everybody that has spent 20 bucks (at least in this topic) is fully aware of what the game is and what's it not so I don't really understand what point you're trying to make here, Knifegrab. But thanks for chipping in. :jerkbag:

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Every time you kill someone for their airdrop: you just took $5 from them. I am prepared to overlook pretty much anything thanks to this.

:agreed:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I was running into people every five seconds last night. Just how big is this map and how many players?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yeah I know having a gun out prevents you from picking up berries, you probably can pick them up while holding an axe though

as far as the bow drill goes, it takes 15 seconds of prep time to use and is reusable (it might have durability - I haven't checked just used it twice so far)

if you can start a fire inside that is preferable, but the logs are heavy and if you don't have a backpack you probably can't move them so just be aware that zombies from a loving mile away will be heading your way

You can purify water, make coffee, cook meat, make bio fuel, all sorts of good stuff with just the fire

eonwe fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 16, 2015

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Hey ya know, if you are having fun I guess.

Also ganking someone out of real earth dollars because their care package or whatever was easy to steal does sound really really great.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
And just in case you spent your last remaining 20 bucks on an early-access game and is furious about airdrops, smedley's got your back.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Knifegrab posted:

Hey ya know, if you are having fun I guess.

Also ganking someone out of real earth dollars because their care package or whatever was easy to steal does sound really really great.

I can't wait to try out ganking someone doing an airdrop, and you are always welcome to hop in and play with us if you pick it up or when it goes f2p :)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Also you can reuse your empty water bottles at a lake or even in the rain

I thought the rain thing was a nice touch

By getting water from one of these sources you'll lose 10 hp upon consumption. If you find a well you'll get stagnant water which only hurts you by 2 HP. Either of these can be crafted into purified water at a campfire

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Eonwe posted:

I can't wait to try it out, and you are always welcome to hop in and play with us if you pick it up or when it goes f2p :)

If and when it goes F2P I might. Or I might become the worlds biggest hypocrite and buy it. Its me, I'm the worst.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Knifegrab posted:

If and when it goes F2P I might. Or I might become the worlds biggest hypocrite and buy it. Its me, I'm the worst.

You are the cause of all evil in the gaming community.
You are the real DSP.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Michaellaneous posted:

You are the cause of all evil in the gaming community.
You are the real DSP.

this is the h1z1 thread, we don't badchoiceshame here

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Its me, I am patient zero. I think I had a stroke earlier, I buy bad games all the time and now I'm lecturing about bad game purchasing. I have over 500 lovely games in my steam library what the gently caress is wrong with me.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014

Knifegrab posted:

Its me, I am patient zero. I think I had a stroke earlier, I buy bad games all the time and now I'm lecturing about bad game purchasing. I have over 500 lovely games in my steam library what the gently caress is wrong with me.

Good, good...let it all out. Accepting this is the best thing you've ever done for yourself. Everything will feel and taste better tomorrow.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I shot a dude in the back of the head with my lovely zero effort bow and killed him instantly. While he was waiting for his supply drop to land. He screamed at me over prox chat for what felt like a full minute while I waited for his crate to land so I could loot it.

Then I died to some dude with a hunting rifle.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

Welcome to the bad games club.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

I shot a dude in the back of the head with my lovely zero effort bow and killed him instantly. While he was waiting for his supply drop to land. He screamed at me over prox chat for what felt like a full minute while I waited for his crate to land so I could loot it.

Then I died to some dude with a hunting rifle.

:getin:

also guys, carry around lots of arrows, they are super easy to make

a headshot will kill a zombie, just let it get reasonably close

a body shot will stagger it long enough to nock another arrow as well

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

If all you got is the poo poo bow, some arrows and a handful of berries and you hear the sound of a plane going by there is really no reason not to head after it and try to spot the falling crate. You have nothing to lose because your resources can be re-gathered in under a minute if you die.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

The saltiness on Reddit over supply drops is hilarious. There are dozens of threads with images just like this one with caps lock screams of lies and misdirection.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

When you call in an airdrop, where does it fall? Right over where you are?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Knifegrab posted:

Right now, it's dropping like 50 feet from where you are.

In theory, it's supposed to drop anywhere in a very wide vicinity with flairs and loud airplane noises and all that jazz.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

An extremely loud plane that can be heard from anywhere on the map spawns on the edge of the map and flies across the entire map until it's roughly over you and drops the crate within a few dozen meters of your position. The crate then spends a couple minutes falling at an agonizingly slow rate while emitting green smoke and flashing with red lights. When it finally hits the ground anyone can open it and take what is inside, there is no protection.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

An extremely loud plane that can be heard from anywhere on the map spawns on the edge of the map and flies across the entire map until it's roughly over you and drops the crate within a few dozen meters of your position. The crate then spends a couple minutes falling at an agonizingly slow rate while emitting green smoke and flashing with red lights. When it finally hits the ground anyone can open it and take what is inside, there is no protection.

It's also supposed to make all the zombies in the area mega pissed...which it is not since Zombie AI is totally hosed.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kimsemus posted:

Right now, it's dropping like 50 feet from where you are.

In theory, it's supposed to drop anywhere in a very wide vicinity with flairs and loud airplane noises and all that jazz.

the plane is actually supposed to be a lot slower too so people can see it and head that direction

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

so you could spend :10bux: on a crate and get absolutely nothing from it?

And people are crying about this because?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Oooooh, this has tears written all over it. Maybe it is a bad game, but its got this, which is great.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The Duggler posted:

so you could spend :10bux: on a crate and get absolutely nothing from it?

Because it can "technically" be pay 2 win.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Duggler posted:

reddit

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

Oooooh, this has tears written all over it. Maybe it is a bad game, but its got this, which is great.

That's kinda why I'm on the fence about it. I mean this has MAJOR grief potential, which I like, but as it stands right now 90% of the downsides of the airdrop aren't working properly. It drops too close and too fast, it almost always has something awesome in it, and zombies don't react to it. On the one hand, Smed says this is a "bug", but I'm far more inclined to believe this is just him trying to see exactly where the line is on P2W bullshit. It's kinda his MO.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Haroshia posted:

That's kinda why I'm on the fence about it. I mean this has MAJOR grief potential, which I like, but as it stands right now 90% of the downsides of the airdrop aren't working properly. It drops too close and too fast, it almost always has something awesome in it, and zombies don't react to it. On the one hand, Smed says this is a "bug", but I'm far more inclined to believe this is just him trying to see exactly where the line is on P2W bullshit. It's kinda his MO.

I don't see why people are mad either, it's no worse than the airdrops in vanilla Rust, except people have to pay for them this time.

Like it's the same random level of chance you might get anything anyway, the only people who should be mad are the people dumb enough to fork over money to fly a plane in to give goons loot.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Haroshia posted:

Yeah these are my thoughts. I feel like I should wait and see, I found some videos of what the air drop looked like and it seems like a dice roll as to whether we'd be able to get to it in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
The airdrops work the same way they did in Rust, with a similar sized map, with almost identical broadcast mechanics.

Airdrops would come in, a blood bath would ensue, and the inevitable group of 2-3 people that walked into the airdrop area already heavily armed almost always got the drop. It'll be no different in this game, so I don't see why people are upset.

You may call in an airdrop with your :10bux: but it's just going to end in tears for you. There is almost a 0% chance of you getting the loot you paid for which is how it should be, rather you're just paying to seed the server with items. Just look at the math.

• Locked thread