Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Does apple still package those USB flash drives with OS X recovery? If not, when did they stop doing that?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Does apple still package those USB flash drives with OS X recovery? If not, when did they stop doing that?
Several years ago. Originally I believe only Airs came with them, then it became a $69 option with Lion, and then I don't think any were offered once Mountain Lion came out.

They're trivial to make now anyway. Apple even has an officially sanctioned process documented on their site.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Shaocaholica posted:

Does apple still package those USB flash drives with OS X recovery?

Aw hell no.

quote:

If not, when did they stop doing that?

Pretty much when they came up with Internet Recovery in the firmware starting with OS X Lion. No need to waste plastic / RAM chips when ya got an Internet Connection. Maybe Jobs had visions of mountains of those little flash keys littering the post-industrial wasteland.

e;f;b

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

They're trivial to make now anyway. Apple even has an officially sanctioned process documented on their site.

Oh of course. But the Apple ones are cute and I want a designated OS X flash drive as opposed to tying up my 128G+ flash drives.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Oh of course. But the Apple ones are cute and I want a designated OS X flash drive as opposed to tying up my 128G+ flash drives.
Those would be garbage to use these days anyway since they're not USB 3.0.

Spend less than $10 on an 8GB flash drive and call it a day, maybe a little bit more for a quality USB 3.0 drive.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I think you can still call and request them?

Edit - Well, request and pay for them of course.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Those would be garbage to use these days anyway since they're not USB 3.0.

Spend less than $10 on an 8GB flash drive and call it a day, maybe a little bit more for a quality USB 3.0 drive.

Not all of us have baller USB TRIPLE Macs :colbert:

Besides, the kind of people who are actively creating OS X install media are probably installing on an older mac anyway.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

SourKraut posted:

I think you can still call and request them?

Edit - Well, request and pay for them of course.

The only physical OS that Apple still sells are Snow Leopard discs.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Peacebone posted:

I've had my retina iMac for a week and I've started to get random shutdown restarts..usually happens when I'm watching a video on Chrome.

I ran Apple's own diagnostic, but it didn't come up with anything. I installed new ram a couple days ago, but I feel like I had one of these kernel panics happen before that. I've had two external usb devices hooked up to the machine so I unplugged those and will see if I get any more.

Edit: looked in activity monitor and kernel task is taking up 1gb of memory. That doesn't seem right?

This is. It's *not* happening to me but as a fellow new riMac owner, I am invested in hearing what's going on...

[Edit] left out an important word ( *not*).

Feenix fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 16, 2015

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

empty baggie posted:

The only physical OS that Apple still sells are Snow Leopard discs.

On their website, yes. But as of last year people could still call in and purchase the Lion USB for $70 or whatever, after Apple had stopped offering it online.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

USB 3.0's been a reality on Macs for pretty much three years now.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
And if you're like me and immediately jumped on the Thunderbolt bandwagon before anything was even available for it, you have one of those overpriced Belkin hubs that has 3 USB 3.0 ports that cap out at a max 2.5gb/s :haw:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

USB 3.0's been a reality on Macs for pretty much three years now.

And the range of still usable Macs goes back what, 7 years?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shaocaholica posted:

Besides, the kind of people who are actively creating OS X install media are probably installing on an older mac anyway.
Or they have loving poo poo 1.5mb DSL or something :(

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Feenix posted:

This is. It happening to me but as a fellow new riMac owner, I am invested in hearing what's going on...

Just in case before you somehow get the impression that that's the norm, my update right now is greater than 32 days, including connecting and disconnecting external displays, gaming at the full resolution, video and a million other things. At least for me it's been solid.

e: And my kernel task uses 6.03 GB of memory. I'm sure a big part of that is disk caches.

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 16, 2015

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Just ordered the mid-2014 15" rMBP with the GT 750M. :feels good:

cowtown
Jul 4, 2007

the cow's a friend to me

awesome-express posted:

So I gave my mid-2011 Macbook Air to my girlfriend and last week it started doing this:

I did a PRAM+SMC reset, which seems to have fixed the issue, but I was wondering what normally causes that? Our apartment has been getting more humid than normal, and according to the ~internet~ that can make the ram poo poo itself? Good thing we have a beefy dehumidifier now.

Three beeps means a RAM problem:

Apple posted:

3 successive tones, a 5 second pause (repeating): This indicates RAM does not pass a data integrity check.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Reporting on riMac spontaneously rebooting issue of my own. But mine was related to letting it go to sleep, where randomly, at the point where it actually went to sleep, it would spontaneously reboot instead. I disabled automatic sleeping, and haven't had a spontaneous reboot or kernel panic since. I haven't tried manually sleeping recently, though, since I'm perfectly willing to leave my machine idling 24/7. It also ensures that it's active when EyeTV is supposed to be recording shows for me, which script automation hands off to Handbrake for transcoding into H.264, since I was cheap and ended up buying a non-transcoding HDHomeRun.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

SourKraut posted:

Just ordered the mid-2014 15" rMBP with the GT 750M. :feels good:

Actually would anyone have recommendations for a sleeve-type case that also has shoulder straps? I typically would carry in a laptop area in a backpack to work or such but want to be able to carry the case separately at times.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

SourKraut posted:

Actually would anyone have recommendations for a sleeve-type case that also has shoulder straps? I typically would carry in a laptop area in a backpack to work or such but want to be able to carry the case separately at times.

Booq makes great products, including sleeves. I had a Viper hardcase for my 13" MBA, and it was great. Only downside is that you really couldn't put the AC adapter in it, but for a sleeve to be able to accommodate that it would require compromising either size or rigidity, so it's a trade-off I was happy to make.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SourKraut posted:

I have a 13 and 11 STM Jacket that I really like. Has a carry handle so I took the straps off a long time ago though.

http://www.stmbags.com.au/catalog/macbook-bag-15-inch/blazer-medium-laptop-sleeve/

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
my 15" rMBP goes in this: http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/produ...-tl_85854223027

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I currently have a MacBook Air 5,2 (2012) that's permanently docked as my work desktop at home. It has a Dell P2414H connected to it. What would be the cheapest option to get a second display hooked up to it? Would I be able to daisy chain my P2414H to a U2414H and connect the U2414H to my MacBook? Would that give me dual display, or would I be stuck with them being mirrored?

teagone fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 16, 2015

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

You use an Air as a workstation? You're hardcore.

What do you mean 2nd display? Natively that machine should be able to support 2 displays, not mirrored - the internal, and the external. If you want more, you'll probably need a USB display adapter, they're cheap enough.

I don't think that model (mid 2012 Air) has Thunderbolt, so no daisy chaining for you!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Pivo posted:

You use an Air as a workstation? You're hardcore.

What do you mean 2nd display? Natively that machine should be able to support 2 displays, not mirrored - the internal, and the external. If you want more, you'll probably need a USB display adapter, they're cheap enough.

I don't think that model (mid 2012 Air) has Thunderbolt, so no daisy chaining for you!

Haha, it was decked out when I got it: 2GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD. It does have Thunderbolt, because I have the P2414H hooked up to it via a Mini Displayport cable. http://support.apple.com/kb/SP670 I've never daisy chained monitors before, so I was wondering if that's even an option here. Also by docked I mean its in clamshell mode, so it's closed. That's why I was asking what would be the easiest way to get another monitor hooked up to it :). I should mention I still need to buy the second monitor too, haha.

teagone fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 16, 2015

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I honestly have never plugged anything into my Thunderbolt port.

I looked at that exact same page, but completely missed that it has Thunderbolt. You SHOULD be able to daisy-chain, BUT only if the monitors you are connecting are Thunderbolt monitors and not just DisplayPort... Don't quote me on any of this, I literally have no loving idea. Pretty sure I'm right.

Hopefully someone else has some insight and me being useless will be forgotten and forgiven.

(Anyhow, the monitor has to be specifically a Thunderbolt monitor, so it's unlikely you'd be able to daisy-chain anyway. I think USB video card is probably best option, but I'd let others weigh in first)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Pivo posted:

All Mac laptops since 2011 have Thunderbolt

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Looking at my post history in this thread, I had actually asked about this before. Guess I forgot! My MacBook Air can drive 2 thunderbolt displays. So I'm guessing if I just get a monitor that supports daisy chaining/has a displayport out, I can hook that up that monitor to my MacBook Air, and then hook up my P2414H to the displayport out port on the other monitor... that should give me dual display while my MacBook Air is closed, right?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

teagone posted:

I currently have a MacBook Air 5,2 (2012) that's permanently docked as my work desktop at home. It has a Dell P2414H connected to it. What would be the cheapest option to get a second display hooked up to it? Would I be able to daisy chain my P2414H to a U2414H and connect the U2414H to my MacBook? Would that give me dual display, or would I be stuck with them being mirrored?

You can use a Matrox Dual-head, if your monitors can run at 50hz

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/dh2go/digital_me/

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

You can daisy chain Thunderbolt, but if you only have Displayport monitors I don't think it'll work. If you have one Thunderbolt monitor you can add the Displayport monitor to the end of the chain.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

1st AD posted:

You can daisy chain Thunderbolt, but if you only have Displayport monitors I don't think it'll work. If you have one Thunderbolt monitor you can add the Displayport monitor to the end of the chain.

Hmm, poo poo Apple's Thunderbolt display is a little out of my budget at the moment, haha. Was hoping I could maybe buy a U2414H, hook that up to my MacBook Air, and then daisy chain my current P2414H to the U2414H's displayport out port.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

teagone posted:

Hmm, poo poo Apple's Thunderbolt display is a little out of my budget at the moment, haha. Was hoping I could maybe buy a U2414H, hook that up to my MacBook Air, and then daisy chain my current P2414H to the U2414H's displayport out port.

If it's display port 1.2 compliant, you can daisy chain 2 displays at 2560x1600. That's not taking into account your GPU, that's just the DP spec.

http://www.displayport.org/cables/driving-multiple-displays-from-a-single-displayport-output/

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Next iMac confirmed!

The CD-port looks like it breaks some natural laws though.
https://curved.de/news/curvedlabs-ein-facelift-fuer-den-macintosh-198570

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Selklubber posted:

Next iMac confirmed!

quote:

...a Lightning port.

It has a what, now?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Selklubber posted:

Next iMac confirmed!

The disk slot instead has the mic/speakers, SD card slot, and facetime camera.

flosofl posted:

If it's display port 1.2 compliant, you can daisy chain 2 displays at 2560x1600. That's not taking into account your GPU, that's just the DP spec.

http://www.displayport.org/cables/driving-multiple-displays-from-a-single-displayport-output/

Huh, thanks for this!

[edit]

Oh noes, Intel HD4000 is DP 1.1, not 1.2 :(

[edit]

So I guess my only options now are hooking up a second monitor via USB, or get an Apple Thunderbolt display. :sigh:

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 16, 2015

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That could work if the spindle, motor, and laser could be designed to fit within that thickness. You would have a spinning disk sticking in front and in back but that would be kind of cool and futuristic I think.

Also it would be impossible for a disk to get jammed like they currently can in slot-loading drives.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I don't need a MBA in a desktop form factor but goddamn do I want that computer

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

teagone posted:

The disk slot instead has the mic/speakers, SD card slot, and facetime camera.

Huh, thanks for this!

[edit]

Oh noes, Intel HD4000 is DP 1.1, not 1.2 :(

[edit]

So I guess my only options now are hooking up a second monitor via USB, or get an Apple Thunderbolt display. :sigh:

A colleague uses a DisplayLink USB to VGA/HDMI/DVI. He uses it on a third monitor just for his email client and IM client at the office and seems fairly happy with it so far.

EDIT: I meant DisplayLink

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 16, 2015

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

FYI Retina iMacs have arrived on the refurb store, right on schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FYI Retina iMacs have arrived on the refurb store, right on schedule.

5 configs starting at $2119