Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Strobe posted:

He's loving dead and died while everyone still hated him. His last memory of his legacy was coal black, and he went to the grave knowing that the only thing anyone would ever remember him as is the guy who did nothing to stop child molestation.

Yeah, totally a slap on the wrist.

Oh, a really old man died. Yes, that's some serious punishment for letting children continually get raped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

One thing is their job, the other isn't. I am not sure how much clearer that has to be made.
Well, it'd probably their job if someone on the active staff was the child rapist. But that wasn't (in a provable manner) the case.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Great White Hope posted:

Quite frankly if my tax dollars went towards actively covering up child molesters for fun, I'd want everyone involved it in, and all the organizations involved in it, burned to the ground.

Is "passively" okay? If not, I've got some bad news for you

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Time to take the empty trophy case out of storage?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It was more for the influx of posters who prolly think I am a Penn State fan somehow.

You're obviously a fan of the Marshall Thundering Herd

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

No and they shouldn't either. The last thing anyone should want is the NCAA getting involved in policing conduct outside of athletic activity.

It wasn't outside of athletic activity, it was done so they could preserve the reputation of the football program. That is absolutely something the organization regulating football programs should look into.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Groucho Marxist posted:

You're obviously a fan of the Marshall Thundering Herd

I am not sure if that offends me more or less.

JT Jag posted:

Well, it'd probably their job if someone on the active staff was the child rapist. But that wasn't (in a provable manner) the case.

Even then it wouldn't be an NCAA issue. Even if it involved a loving player being the chimo.

Raku posted:

It wasn't outside of athletic activity, it was done so they could preserve the reputation of the football program. That is absolutely something the organization regulating football programs should look into.

Not really. Like I get what you're thinking, but its not really the case. And no, you absolutely don't want the NCAA getting involved in that kind of thing.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
We Are Marshall GDT: Coach Cohle

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Oh, a really old man died. Yes, that's some serious punishment for letting children continually get raped.

I feel the need to point out that I'm not defending him or anything. It was loving disgusting.

But the idea that because his wins are being reinstated after he's been dead for a year and change makes it 'just a slap on the wrist' is really some revisionist history there.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Even then it wouldn't be an NCAA issue. Even if it involved a loving player being the chimo.
When you get to the point where someone on-staff is using school facilities to do stuff like that, you can very easily justify lack of institutional control charges. Not so much for what actually went on, really.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Vertical Lime posted:

Yep

Philly Inquirer ‏@PhillyInquirer
BREAKING: NCAA agrees to restore #Paterno wins, restructure #PennState fine

e: More

NCAA @NCAA
Under proposed agreement, Penn State agrees to commit $60M to activities and programs for the prevention of child sexual abuse.

Under proposed settlement, Penn State acknowledges the NCAA's legitimate & good faith interest & concern regarding Jerry Sandusky matter.

Give us back Reggie Bush's Heisman, you chuckle fucks

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Punishments Joe Paterno Incurred:

• Statue no longer standing

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

JT Jag posted:

When you get to the point where someone on-staff is using school facilities to do stuff like that, you can very easily justifyn lack of institutional control charges. Not so much for what actually went on, really.

NOPE. Because that's not what a lack of institutional control means within context. In context, it means are you promoting an atmosphere of compliance with NCAA rules and by-laws and at that its basically just a catch-all for if you're a repeat rule offender.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Can we all just agree that PSU shouldn't have any sports teams whatsoever and be ignored for all time

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Football Uber Alles - Penn State Slogan

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

We'll trade you for OJ's.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
lol if you think the statue isn't going to be back up this year.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

They didn't take it, the Heisman foundation did.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

:siren:Hey maybe talk about Paterno over here and not in here:siren:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Strobe posted:

I feel the need to point out that I'm not defending him or anything. It was loving disgusting.

But the idea that because his wins are being reinstated after he's been dead for a year and change makes it 'just a slap on the wrist' is really some revisionist history there.

Considering he should be rotting in jail.....yes I'd consider that a slap on the wrist.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011

AsInHowe posted:

Cardale Jones trolling the media was utterly fantastic, and I'm surprised more big-name college players don't do something similar.

If I'm the star QB of Michigan, and I can basically hold a press conference that dominates ESPN right before recruiting starts up again, where I can talk about how great my school is....why wouldn't more guys do that? It's recruiting gold, that no one else can touch until it becomes routine.

One of my favorite Cardale interviews was during, I believe, the Sugar Bowl media day. They asked him something like "you seem pretty calm answering these questions" or something and his response was (again, paraphrasing) "It's easy because you all keep asking us the same questions! Do we like all these microphones and cell phones in our face? No. But we realize you all have a job to do, and we were told to answer anything you ask, so there it is."

loving loved that. Was surprised that it didn't piss off the almighty media egos "How DARE he say they would rather not answer our repetitive cliche questions?!"

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

:ughh: The worst gently caress TSL

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mahoning posted:

Considering he should be rotting in jail.....yes I'd consider that a slap on the wrist.

It's a slap on the wrist because of "he died?"

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Dying in shame and embarrassment, your legacy ruined, hated by everyone: a slap on the wrist according to goons.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Yeah, that's what I was going for.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

JT Jag posted:

Dying in shame and embarrassment, your legacy ruined, hated by everyone: a slap on the wrist according to goons.

Good.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Consequences != Punishment

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

JT Jag posted:

That isn't even a slap on the wrist. That is literally nothing.

Just because something happened doesn't make it a punishment.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

That isn't even a slap on the wrist. That is literally nothing.
His wins were stripped and Penn State was under investigation for poo poo he did when he died. Everything he had built in his entire life, his entire carefully maintained reputation, crumbled away in front of his rheumy eyes. "Literally nothing".

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Strobe posted:

His wins weren't taken away. They were essentially suspended. That is a slap on the wrist. Everything is the same now as it was before any of us even knew the name of Jerry Sandusky. What a harsh punishment.

edit: oh wait, the statue is still down. I stand corrected.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 16, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Joe Paterno wakes up, to learn that the news has broken, someone has learned about the cover up. The curtain is going to fall on his reputation. He can fight it, but... it's only a matter of time. He is ruined. And then he looks outside. Fire. He is in Hell.

This is how he wakes up every day now.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

JT Jag posted:

His wins were stripped and Penn State was under investigation for poo poo he did when he died. Everything he had built in his entire life, his entire carefully maintained reputation, crumbled away in front of his rheumy eyes. "Literally nothing".

His wins were stripped 6 months after he died. So basically everything you just said was not a punishment but just a natural consequence of his actions. He was not "punished" in any way. He died before anyone was able to punish him for anything. I guess other than losing his job? Which, in regards to covering up child rape is pretty much "slap on the wrist" territory.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Joe Paterno wakes up, to learn that the news has broken, someone has learned about the cover up. The curtain is going to fall on his reputation. He can fight it, but... it's only a matter of time. He is ruined. And then he looks outside. Fire. He is in Hell.

A.) good

B.) still not actually "punishment", more "thing that happened"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It's neither. It's "he died before anything was done."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Take it to the other thread guys, this is not BBQ related.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

JT Jag posted:

I don't think this is entirely correct timeline, but whatever, still literally nothing.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

JT Jag posted:

This owns.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I really just want the wins to stay gone as a constant reminder to Paterno's worthless rear end in a top hat family of what an awful piece of poo poo the old man was.

I feel like reinstating them is a win for the family when they should really all just loving die.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

What's Jim Harbaugh up to today?

"Anything less than a man's best effort cheats himself! Demeans him! Spoils him! Ruins him! Cheapens him! Emerson"

Same ol, same ol, Jimmy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Is there a book you're given when you get a HC job on any level that's just filled with nothing but quotes from famous people you can somehow half-assedly tie into motivating players?

• Locked thread