Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Prince John posted:

Ah, that sounds a bit more tame than what I was expecting from some war games. I thought they might try some real world attacks to test mitigation strategies rather than some guy running a preconceived suite of tests.

Well that's what penetration testing is - people try to get in and get access to things they shouldn't, and then they work out how to fix those vulnerabilities

Also!

Cyber security has been the focus so far of the prime minister's visit to Washington

Does 1776 have any significance apart from the American Revolution? Blatant disrespect for Cameron at photo ops is something I can get behind

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

baka kaba posted:

Well that's what penetration testing is - people try to get in and get access to things they shouldn't, and then they work out how to fix those vulnerabilities

Also!

Cyber security has been the focus so far of the prime minister's visit to Washington

Does 1776 have any significance apart from the American Revolution? Blatant disrespect for Cameron at photo ops is something I can get behind
Alas, it's the name of the startup incubator that Cameron was visiting.

We need a Nathan Barley smiley, by the way.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Pentesting is the InfoSec equivalent of breaking and decorating.

Or at least breaking and leaving a nice note about how you got in.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

This "lets work together with the yanks on cyberwarfare" stuff is a really pathetic attempt by Cameron to get the prestige he couldn't get through regular warfare. He must have read the same article I did about how lovely countries like North Korea can punch above their weight with some cyber attacks and decided he wanted in on this action.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Cyber action. He's heard about that, on the internet

Zephro posted:

Alas, it's the name of the startup incubator that Cameron was visiting.

Ah hell, no wonder he looks more smug than usual

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Answers Me posted:

What do you actually get out of being a member of a political party? The fees for all the main parties are pretty pricey

Can't speak for other parties, but in the SNP members get to attend conference and vote on policy/leadership changes. There are regular branch meetings*, and we are currently selecting general election candidates. You also get to experience the joys of door to door canvassing and doing leaflet drops.

* Depending on your branch there may or may not be free samosas/rice krispie cakes.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 16, 2015

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I can't speak for the Tories (they probably decide policy through what Lynton says), but in Labour you elect people to the National Policy Forums who then decide the bulk of the party's policy; the amount of floor votes at Labour Conference has gone down considerably in the past twenty years. All Lib Dem policy–including the manifesto–is decided at Lib Dem Conference, to which anyone can theoretically submit policy. Lib Dem Conference isn't that shy to bloody the nose of the leadership either; they defeated a heavy push by the leadership to reverse the party's policy on airport expansion in October.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Zephro posted:

Preferably with the phrase "Well loving futile".

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

keep punching joe posted:

* Depending on your branch there may or may not be free samosas/rice krispie cakes.

Why would you combine them, they're fine on their own?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I'm in Nottingham and just watched ice hockey. Any decent kebab places near pendulum? I hunger.

Ed. Found a place, hopefully I don't get food poisoning... I chose calzone because I have been eating too much pizza lately

CancerCakes fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 16, 2015

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Are Nottingham good? I watch Edinburgh occasionally.

Also the NHL because why wouldn't you? Pens/Islanders at 12!

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Preferably with the phrase "Well loving futile".

Rewatched Nathan barley with some friends in one go recently. Still so loving good. It has aged very well

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Nottingham are consistently one of the top uk teams. I suspect this is because they have the most money.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

gorki
Aug 9, 2014
^ so what time does it start at then? :confused:

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Anyone got a link that debunks the idea that this Paris massacre was staged? Quick video I can just post to the idiots I have to be friends with when it pops up on my facebook feed?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I didn't even know that was a thing. According to Google its a variety of people claiming that it was done to make Muslims look bad.

They're obviously wrong. It was a false flag operation launched by the bankers to lizargdfvbhfsgbvvxc

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Doh another Lorry fire in the Channel tunnel.

Wasn't the tunnel out of action for months after the last one? Hope they learn't from the one how to mitigate the damage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30863024

quote:

Passengers are facing severe disruption after the Channel Tunnel was closed "until further notice" following a fire on a lorry.

Eurostar says all its services for Saturday have been cancelled and trains have returned to their stations.

It has told people expecting to travel to postpone their journeys and not go to the station.

Kent Police said the fire happened at the French end of the tunnel and that no-one was hurt in the incident.

The spokesman said the fire had led to the closure of both tunnels, and that there are currently no trains in either.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I have no trouble believing in false flag attacks. But if that was false flag it was very poor as the main result was most of France coming together and the general sense that not all Muslims are fanatics. The usual suspects including Farage tried to pin it to multiculturalism but that was no surprise nor did it come to much.

If Mossad or the CIA were behind this I would assume the aim was to increase racial and religious hate. Which hasn't happened. Nothing gaining traction anyway.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Well apart from all the French people throwing hand grenades at mosques. That's happened.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

namesake posted:

Well apart from all the French people throwing hand grenades at mosques. That's happened.

Not exactly a mainstream activity though. And it's hard to see how anyone benefits from this, especially the CIA.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Not that I believe that this was a false flag attack (c'mon, guys, seriously?), but it was certainly very helpful for the Front National. They've seen a real surge in support.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Disinterested posted:

Not exactly a mainstream activity though.

Neither's terrorism, but I've seen a lot of reporting on what Muslim terrorists have done and what they might do next - not so much on the attacks on ordinary Muslims. Almost as though it's not that important!

Speaking of flags

quote:

Meanwhile, the French president, François Hollande, said on Saturday that France was committed to freedom of expression after violence erupted for the second day in Niger at a rally protesting against Charlie Hebdo. The magazine’s first issue since last week’s attacks features a drawing of the prophet Muhammad on the cover, in a decision that has angered Muslims around the world.

“I’m thinking of countries where sometimes they don’t understand what freedom of expression is because they have been deprived of it. But also, we have supported these countries in their fight against terrorism,” Hollande said during a visit to a market in Tulle, central France.

Asked about protesters who burned the French flag, the president added: “They have to be punished because when it happens in France, it’s intolerable but also abroad.”

:allears:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TinTower posted:

I can't speak for the Tories (they probably decide policy through what Lynton says), but in Labour you elect people to the National Policy Forums who then decide the bulk of the party's policy; the amount of floor votes at Labour Conference has gone down considerably in the past twenty years. All Lib Dem policy–including the manifesto–is decided at Lib Dem Conference, to which anyone can theoretically submit policy. Lib Dem Conference isn't that shy to bloody the nose of the leadership either; they defeated a heavy push by the leadership to reverse the party's policy on airport expansion in October.

Didn't the Lib Dem conference vote to abolish tuition fees as a manifesto commitment last time? Much good that did anyone :clegg:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

baka kaba posted:

Neither's terrorism, but I've seen a lot of reporting on what Muslim terrorists have done and what they might do next - not so much on the attacks on ordinary Muslims. Almost as though it's not that important!

Speaking of flags

:allears:

What article's that a quote from?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Oh it's from this

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jan/17/soldiers-guard-belgian-jewish-sites-europol-further-attacks

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The next Charlie Hebdo cover should show the angelic leaders of France, Saudi Arabia, Israel etc holding forth about the sanctity of freedom of speech to an adoring audience of journalists, while in the background, baton-wielding police herd dieudonne & a bunch of other muslims into the back of vans.

(Freedom of speech in France AND the uk is strictly limited to subjects that the majority don't strongly disagree with.)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Umiapik posted:

The next Charlie Hebdo cover should show the angelic leaders of France, Saudi Arabia, Israel etc holding forth about the sanctity of freedom of speech to an adoring audience of journalists, while in the background, baton-wielding police herd dieudonne & a bunch of other muslims into the back of vans.

(Freedom of speech in France AND the uk is strictly limited to subjects that the majority don't strongly disagree with.)

Something about France banning boycots of Israeli products too.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
The goon with no money 'mo problems on a Peabody estate go to your local Peabody centre. If your estate doesn't have one or you don't know where your local one is ring 0800 587 8215. They have people who can give you (flatmate too) advice about money and benefits. If you're in Thamesmead, there's also an advice clinic run by Fair Finance at the Thamesmead Trust.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Umiapik posted:

Wait, how many people have been rounded up just because of something they said? Other than threats and stuff.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

willie_dee posted:

Anyone got a link that debunks the idea that this Paris massacre was staged? Quick video I can just post to the idiots I have to be friends with when it pops up on my facebook feed?

Any time you try, you run a strong chance that no matter what logic, facts or evidence you provide will actually just cement their idiocy in place. They didn't sit down and examine the facts, they saw some video by a delusional fuckwad and decided they wanted in on the attention, and have become emotionally attached to that position, so an attack on it is an attack on them.

If you have an audience then it can still be worth debunking things as people simply reading along can be swayed, but you will probably have to do it the hard way, and it won't be pretty.

Just remove them from your feed imho, they won't notice a thing.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Gorn Myson posted:

I didn't even know that was a thing. According to Google its a variety of people claiming that it was done to make Muslims look bad.

They're obviously wrong. It was a false flag operation launched by the bankers to lizargdfvbhfsgbvvxc

a variety of people including everyone's favourite us politician

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

---

Future coalitions posted:

Mr Clegg also told the programme it was "most likely" the Liberal Democrats would form part of a coalition government after May, dismissing predictions his party would lose up to half of its seats on 7 May as "silly".

The party would add "heart" to a Conservative-led government or "spine" to Labour, Mr Clegg said.

Haven't we heard these :clegg: before?
:lol:

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

quote:

The party would add "heart" to a Conservative-led government or "spine" to Labour, Mr Clegg said.

Doesn't this make the Lib Dems the Scarecrow?

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Pesky Splinter posted:

I saw him interviewed on news 24 and although he apologised for the Birmingham comments he insisted he was right about London. Watch out for the Sharia police I guess.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Aha, where does Nick Clegg think he's going to find a spine to rent out.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

Seems legit to me. Not like the Dems are using either at the moment.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I was on the front cover of the Independent on Sunday's magazine supplement today as part of a lengthy article they did on me, about my open source investigation thing
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...st-9983831.html

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

So the man who knows too much is wearing a nondescript bright colour outfit in front of a brick wall.

I know a threat when I see one, watch out BM!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Brown Moses posted:

I was on the front cover of the Independent on Sunday's magazine supplement today as part of a lengthy article they did on me, about my open source investigation thing
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...st-9983831.html

Hey, congrats!

• Locked thread