Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

drk posted:

Anyone have experience with nearlyfreespeech?

I'm looking to migrate 1 or 2 sites off our current crap host*, each of which gets about 1000-2000 hits per month. I dont think we'd need more than 1GB of space and a few GB of bandwidth.

Lithium and Apis look good too.

*whoever added powweb to the OP should be taken outside and shot.

I've used NearlyFreeSpeech for years and definitely recommend it for static stuff like resume pages and some low-traffic sites. NFS is great if you basically just want a modern Geocities site. If you intend to do a lot with your account, though, consider that their pro-rated approach may cost you more per year than a typical shared hosting service.

They also have a calculator: https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/estimate

I wouldn't go with them for what you want to do.

Triglav fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

drk posted:

Anyone have experience with nearlyfreespeech?

I'm looking to migrate 1 or 2 sites off our current crap host*, each of which gets about 1000-2000 hits per month. I dont think we'd need more than 1GB of space and a few GB of bandwidth.

Lithium and Apis look good too.

*whoever added powweb to the OP should be taken outside and shot.

I use them only for my domains, and they've been fantastic. I've used them for probably 6 or 7 years now. I really like their pricing scheme.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
I'm looking to upgrade from my basic shared hosting. I'm having trouble deciding between Semi-Dedicated vs. VPS.
My site runs Wordpress and I get about 130,000 unique visitors each month — this could slowly but steadily climb.
The Semi-dedicated plan is through A Small Orange: https://asmallorange.com/hosting/dedicated/#semidedicated
2 dedicated cores
3 GB RAM
75 GB Disk
2 FREE IPs
1 TB bandwidth
The VPS is through a different host and that plan has 3GB RAM and 4 Core CPU. This host has agreed to "manage" the VPS for me since I don't know how to do all that.
They're both priced about the same so I'm trying to figure out what is the better option.
Any help would be great.

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

Omits-Bagels posted:

I'm looking to upgrade from my basic shared hosting. I'm having trouble deciding between Semi-Dedicated vs. VPS.
My site runs Wordpress and I get about 130,000 unique visitors each month — this could slowly but steadily climb.
The Semi-dedicated plan is through A Small Orange: https://asmallorange.com/hosting/dedicated/#semidedicated
2 dedicated cores
3 GB RAM
75 GB Disk
2 FREE IPs
1 TB bandwidth
The VPS is through a different host and that plan has 3GB RAM and 4 Core CPU. This host has agreed to "manage" the VPS for me since I don't know how to do all that.
They're both priced about the same so I'm trying to figure out what is the better option.
Any help would be great.

I really think both of these options are overkill for your use case. This is a workload that I'd recommend one of my customers run on one of our 512MB instances, to give you some perspective on things.

Also, A Small Orange is an EIG brand. Don't expect miracles from their customer service. If it's still good now, it's not going to last long.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Thalagyrt posted:

I really think both of these options are overkill for your use case. This is a workload that I'd recommend one of my customers run on one of our 512MB instances, to give you some perspective on things.

Also, A Small Orange is an EIG brand. Don't expect miracles from their customer service. If it's still good now, it's not going to last long.

I agree with Thalagyrt. You would do fine with a VPS that has less memory and CPU if you're not using a control panel. If you insist on using cPanel, you're going to be better off with a plan that has at least 1.5 - 2gb of ram.
You can have a very simple server with just Ubuntu, php, nginx and mysql that will out-perform a cPanel server and use less resources. That will save you money and make you happy at the same time :)

If you can, support a Goon and avoid EIG like your life depends on it.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
here is a reminder in case anyone doesn't know what kind of support eig has:

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Making a small local hosting service and I paid like $20 for some template site. Does that make me a bad person? I'm too lazy to actually design a beautiful site but I don't mind doing the actual coding. It will suck when someone points out that there are probably a ton of other hosting sites with the same basic template though :(

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Stealthgerbil posted:

Making a small local hosting service and I paid like $20 for some template site. Does that make me a bad person? I'm too lazy to actually design a beautiful site but I don't mind doing the actual coding. It will suck when someone points out that there are probably a ton of other hosting sites with the same basic template though :(

I don't think it's any different than everyone using WHMCS for billing and not having their own custom portal.
If you're a serious business, your customers shouldn't care if you spend $20.00 or $5000 on your website design.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anyone affected by that 9 hour Rackspace DNS outage today thanks to a DDoS?

River
Apr 22, 2012
Nothin' but the rain
Anyone here use vultr in Sydney? Can I get a second opinion on this host, as I'm having some really lovely network issues.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
their only good location is the nj-us one because that's more or less the only one they have actual ownership and presence of

the rest is kind of meh

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

River posted:

Anyone here use vultr in Sydney? Can I get a second opinion on this host, as I'm having some really lovely network issues.

Sydney is getting some network upgrades soon, which should be a more permanent fix.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
Are there any recommended CDNs? I'm wanting to quicken my site's load time... maybe it would be better to redesign my site but it's already optimized fairly well.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Cloudlfare has a free plan that is probably more than enough for you.

https://www.cloudflare.com/plans

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

I have three questions.

First question:
deleted, no longer need help

Second question:
deleted, related to first

Third question:
The specific wiki engine I'm using likes to use capital letters in its URLs, like ~/wiki/Topic. I would prefer to have them look like ~/wiki/topic. How would I do that? I've tried a bunch of Googled htaccess stuff to no avail, but I'm thinking I might need to rewrite some PHP.

Triglav fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 10, 2015

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Without digging into all of that too much, if you have a folder already called /page/ then its going to cause some problems trying to rewrite stuff into it, I believe.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

There's currently no folder called /page/, just a blog entry at /page, and a folder at /wiki/ that I'd like to rename /page/. It doesn't seem to work when I rename the /page blog entry to /old-page and the /wiki/ folder after to /page/. I get my blogging CMS' 404 page instead. I think this might be an issue with my CMS, so I'm playing with its PHP and MySQL tables right now.

Edit: Forcing the URL change in my MySQL tables seems to help make it work for some reason????? :iiam:
I guess my CMS is doing some questionable trashy garbage. I'll just modify the table for that entry's address when I'm ready to go. I've given this problem too much of my time.

I would still like help with my third question, if anybody knows:

Triglav posted:

Third question:
The specific wiki engine I'm using likes to use capital letters in its URLs, like ~/wiki/Topic. I would prefer to have them look like ~/wiki/topic. How would I do that? I've tried a bunch of Googled htaccess stuff to no avail, but I'm thinking I might need to rewrite some PHP.

Triglav fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 10, 2015

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Think this setting would do it for new urls: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgCapitalLinks

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 10, 2015

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I'm trying to reduce the cost of my hosting but I don't understand all of the interworkings well enough to know how to go about it. I set all of this up almost a decade ago.

I've got three domains registered with GoDaddy, all expiring in the next 8 weeks (one expires tomorrow). I have my hosting through 1and1 with a "Business Package" although at $200/yr I'm sure I can get by with less.

One of the domains is my personal web hosting for random stuff. I used it before the days of Imgur and Dropbox, but these days I could ditch it altogether.

Two of the domains are for small local law offices that way back when asked me to set up email and web hosting for them. They don't actually use the web hosting. I have them on Google (Gmail) for email. They simply want a domain so their email goes to bob@bobslawoffice.com instead of bob83756@gmail.com.

If I want to drop the personal web hosting and only provide the domains for the law offices, what do I need and what provider should I use?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

any domain registrars holding any sales right now? i want to register a joke .com for a year

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Acer Pilot posted:

any domain registrars holding any sales right now? i want to register a joke .com for a year

Not a sale but you're unlikely to find much cheaper than $8.49 at internet.bs

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Easychair Bootson posted:

I'm trying to reduce the cost of my hosting but I don't understand all of the interworkings well enough to know how to go about it. I set all of this up almost a decade ago.

I've got three domains registered with GoDaddy, all expiring in the next 8 weeks (one expires tomorrow). I have my hosting through 1and1 with a "Business Package" although at $200/yr I'm sure I can get by with less.

One of the domains is my personal web hosting for random stuff. I used it before the days of Imgur and Dropbox, but these days I could ditch it altogether.

Two of the domains are for small local law offices that way back when asked me to set up email and web hosting for them. They don't actually use the web hosting. I have them on Google (Gmail) for email. They simply want a domain so their email goes to bob@bobslawoffice.com instead of bob83756@gmail.com.

If I want to drop the personal web hosting and only provide the domains for the law offices, what do I need and what provider should I use?

I actually just did the same thing, I had two domains that I wanted to keep along with associated e-mails, but I didn't want the hosting anymore. I ended up transferring both of them to NameCheap, which provides free e-mail forwarding in addition to the normal ~$10/year registration. If you want to later you can set up hosting with a different company (I'm using Heroku) and just configure the domain to point to it.

You need to start the transfer process from the destination, but it's just clicking a bunch of authorization links and copypasting auth codes. It's pretty self-explanatory.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I actually just did the same thing, I had two domains that I wanted to keep along with associated e-mails, but I didn't want the hosting anymore. I ended up transferring both of them to NameCheap, which provides free e-mail forwarding in addition to the normal ~$10/year registration. If you want to later you can set up hosting with a different company (I'm using Heroku) and just configure the domain to point to it.

You need to start the transfer process from the destination, but it's just clicking a bunch of authorization links and copypasting auth codes. It's pretty self-explanatory.
I started looking through the configuration on both 1and1 and GoDaddy and it looks like I already have one of the domains set up like I want them both to be. It's not on 1and1 at all, and on GoDaddy it points to the default nameservers but has MX records that point to Google. Is that different than the free email forwarding that you mentioned?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Am I allowed to host email for various different domains on my single google apps account? I have like three different domains with one or two email accounts for each, and I want to add a fourth. They are four distinct organisations so it's probably not legit but it would be handy if I could keep doing it this way...

Alternatively what's a good email host where I can manage all the domains and mail accounts from one admin account?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

I started looking through the configuration on both 1and1 and GoDaddy and it looks like I already have one of the domains set up like I want them both to be. It's not on 1and1 at all, and on GoDaddy it points to the default nameservers but has MX records that point to Google. Is that different than the free email forwarding that you mentioned?

Not sure, I can't speak for the specifics of GoDaddy or 1and1 as I've never used them.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud

Yes, if all you want is the e-mail, so long as GoDaddy has the MX records, you can cancel 1&1 without any impact. The MX records tell any e-mail trying to reach bobloblaw.com to go to Google so long as you have the MX records. Any registrar that charges extra for "e-mail forwarding" is a scam, so Namecheap's claim that they're free is pretty silly.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

fuf posted:

Am I allowed to host email for various different domains on my single google apps account? I have like three different domains with one or two email accounts for each, and I want to add a fourth. They are four distinct organisations so it's probably not legit but it would be handy if I could keep doing it this way...

Alternatively what's a good email host where I can manage all the domains and mail accounts from one admin account?

https://support.google.com/a/answer/182452?hl=en

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Malkar posted:

Yes, if all you want is the e-mail, so long as GoDaddy has the MX records, you can cancel 1&1 without any impact. The MX records tell any e-mail trying to reach bobloblaw.com to go to Google so long as you have the MX records. Any registrar that charges extra for "e-mail forwarding" is a scam, so Namecheap's claim that they're free is pretty silly.

Great, that's what I thought but thanks for confirming.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

fuf posted:

awww I can only add domain aliases on my old, free google apps account, not secondary domains.

What's a good alternative email host?

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

fuf posted:

I've been using Polaris Mail for various "serious" mail accounts. $1.00/month per mailbox, unlimited domains and aliases. If you buy three mailboxes, each can be on its own domain, and each address can have any number of aliases. I've never had mail sent through them get rejected or be marked as spam.

The only "catch" is that below a certain dollar amount, you have to pay yearly. So 3 or 4 accounts would need to be paid upfront $36/$48 for the year. Getting into higher mailbox counts and you get options for paying every 3 or 4 months, or even monthly.

They have a free trial period (14 days?) so you can test them out risk free. Make sure to read their (excellent) docs carefully so that you set up your MX and SPF records correctly for each domain, as this is the #1 cause of unreliable delivery.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I use rackspaceapps for cheapo (not exchange version)

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

fuf posted:

awww I can only add domain aliases on my old, free google apps account, not secondary domains.

It's only $5/mo per user. My google apps account is also an old free one but I wouldn't hesitate to pay that amount for it.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Looking for some help. My employer's website was defaced. We use Hostgator currently. It seems like they've been compromised because I created a support ticket a week ago and when I called them for an update, they said that they have hundreds of support tickets and I'm rather far back in the queue. They then referred me to a couple of website antivirus / firewall providers.

I was told not to do anything until Hostgator support could take a look, but it they said it could take over a month for them to get to us. We currently have 1 domain and 5 subdomains, a shop using Cubecart, and email addresses using Google Apps but are looking to expand on the number of domains and websites we have.

I think the best course of action for us would be to upload a backup (I need to check if we have one) to a different web host, update the DNS, and change all passwords.

Is this a good course of action? Also, are there any recommended web hosts? I was looking at Lithium Hosting in the OP and the prices seem pretty good.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Skywalker OG posted:

Looking for some help. My employer's website was defaced. We use Hostgator currently. It seems like they've been compromised because I created a support ticket a week ago and when I called them for an update, they said that they have hundreds of support tickets and I'm rather far back in the queue. They then referred me to a couple of website antivirus / firewall providers.

I was told not to do anything until Hostgator support could take a look, but it they said it could take over a month for them to get to us. We currently have 1 domain and 5 subdomains, a shop using Cubecart, and email addresses using Google Apps but are looking to expand on the number of domains and websites we have.

And that, gentlemen, is why you should just avoid EIG hosts entirely, if you can at all do so.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

Skywalker OG posted:

I think the best course of action for us would be to upload a backup (I need to check if we have one) to a different web host, update the DNS, and change all passwords.

Is this a good course of action? Also, are there any recommended web hosts? I was looking at Lithium Hosting in the OP and the prices seem pretty good.

Once defaced, your files aren't secure either, since on those setups every single file (web assets, maybe e-mail) on your account has the same accessibility rights as that file initially defaced. Hackers today will inject code into files that can only be triggered with the right combination of query parameters, so unless you pass along the right GET request, it'll appear safe. Nuke your Cubecart assets or check for files modified within the last week (find from the shell works: find . -mtime -165 -print ). Check anything modified within the last week carefully, looking for arbitrary code that doesn't belong. If it's there, assume your files have been compromised too as a consequence of running everything under a single user.

Once your account is defaced, and you run php-fpm or php-cgi under the same user as your account (big box hosters do this for resource accountability), assume all files have an equal chance of being tainted with malicious bootloader code or viewed by a third-party.

Also, good opportunity to update Cubecart, since there are some vulnerabilities in the wild.

Sorry about missing your live chat request earlier. Had to head up to North Atlanta this afternoon for a funeral I had just found out about last night. :corsair:

Edit: thought about this a little more tonight to draw a parallel: consider having 2 keys. One keys is a skeleton key that opens every door in your house. Another key opens just the basement stuffed full of junk. An intruder grabs a hold of your basement key - not an issue; you have an understanding it may get broken into eventually. An intruder grabs a hold of your skeleton key - problem, insofar as he now has access to every room in your house and every piece of valuable good/information.

It's the same issue when you run your WordPress/Drupal/Joomla! under the same user as your personal files and other web page assets. When you run your site on Hostgator and EIG's siblings, that's going to happen when only one user exists and that's shared between your web files and your personal files. You have one key and it is a master key. If that's compromised, then you're in a world of hurt, because now they have access to your e-mail, if stored on the same server, SSH keys, and depending upon partitioning likely other domain content.

So please be mindful. Hacking isn't a rudimentary point-and-click WinNuke like a decade ago (nor are DoS attacks). With time comes dissemination of knowledge and hackers too build better tools to carry out more sophisticated, undetectable attacks. I've seen it in post-mortem analyses of hacked accounts that were time and time again a victim of outdated software. Whenever there is a breach, there is curiosity too of what else lurks on your site. Had something sensitive nestled among your files? Now you have a big problem on your hands.

TLDR: flatten and reinstall if you're unsure of the scope of damage

nem fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 16, 2015

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into some sort heightened security measures once we move to another web host and get this all sorted out. All of our sites and our Cubecart use different accounts / passwords to login, but I guess it doesn't matter at all if the Hostgator cpanel login gives complete access to the SQL databases.

I think I should try to find professional help for this because it's all way over our heads.

Hostgator referred us to the following two companies:
sitelock.com
sucuri.net

Sucuri is much cheaper at $99 per year, but realistically we would drop them after they have fixed the problem to a satisfactory degree.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 16, 2015

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

Skywalker OG posted:

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into some sort heightened security measures once we move to another web host and get this all sorted out. All of our sites and our Cubecart use different accounts / passwords to login, but I guess it doesn't matter at all if the Hostgator cpanel login gives complete access to the SQL databases.

I think I should try to find professional help for this because it's all way over our heads.

Hostgator referred us to the following two companies:
sitelock.com
sucuri.com

Sucuri is much cheaper at $99 per year, but realistically we would drop them after they have fixed the problem to a satisfactory degree.

If you have the capability (you most likely don't on shared hosting) you should set up your web worker as a completely separate user from the user that actually owns your web directory. Doing so would entirely eliminate a lot of the big pain point you're seeing and make a web application firewall mostly unnecessary (it still could save you from some things). For example, our managed VPS clients are all set up with a separate worker user that has read only access to their application codebase, with express grants on upload directories so the worker user can write there. If it doesn't interfere with the operation of their software we also disable all script execution in the upload directories. This type of setup isn't possible with the majority of shared hosts that run cPanel, at least not without the host themselves intervening and doing it and likely breaking a lot of cPanel functionality in the process. It might be possible with nem's kick-rear end custom panel, but I can't speak to that directly as I don't know much about what he's built over there.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

Skywalker OG posted:

This is why security relapses occur. If you've proven up along the managerial chain unable to keep a site secure, what realistically makes you think this won't happen again?

Thalagyrt posted:

If you have the capability (you most likely don't on shared hosting) you should set up your web worker as a completely separate user from the user that actually owns your web directory. Doing so would entirely eliminate a lot of the big pain point you're seeing and make a web application firewall mostly unnecessary (it still could save you from some things)... It might be possible with nem's kick-rear end custom panel, but I can't speak to that directly as I don't know much about what he's built over there.

Yes, this is the correct approach, and yep that's what we've done for a long time.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

nem posted:

This is why security relapses occur. If you've proven up along the managerial chain unable to keep a site secure, what realistically makes you think this won't happen again?

We're an extremely small nonprofit organization full of old people with no IT department and historically something bad has had to happen to us in order for our board of directors to care about it enough to act.

I can make recommendations to move to a web host that is more secure than Hostgator and overall implement better practices but unfortunately it'll take some convincing to add more monthly / annual fees to the operating budget.

I know it's extremely shortsighted, but it's the situation I'm in and it's really frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

Skywalker OG posted:

We're an extremely small nonprofit organization full of old people with no IT department and historically something bad has had to happen to us in order for our board of directors to care about it enough to act.

I can make recommendations to move to a web host that is more secure than Hostgator and overall implement better practices but unfortunately it'll take some convincing to add more monthly / annual fees to the operating budget.

I know it's extremely shortsighted, but it's the situation I'm in and it's really frustrating.

Vote the least useful director off your board and accommodate a $99/year budgetary increase. Your reputation and reliability are more important and more costly than $8/mo. If your organization has issues accommodating a $8/mo increase, then there is some administrative fat/misconduct within the organization that go beyond this thread.

Sites have 4 vulnerable vectors ordered from most to least likely to be vulnerable: (1) compromised user accounts caused by lack of AV software typically penetrated by unsafe browsing habits, (2) software in place of your web site, (3) server software itself, (4) serendipity. 1 and 2 are interchangeable depending upon how well you keep on top of things. Make it a habit to check the vendor's web site once a month, maybe the first, to see if there's a new version available. Incremental upgrades are always easier than major upgrades, because you were forced to upgrade in light of getting hacked.

Based upon your information, I don't believe exclusively HG is to blame. You might do well with a VPS. You might do well with shared hosting from any recommended brand in the first page. But, you might relapse and continue to do so in perpetuity until your organization gets its head out of its rear end and takes its accountability more seriously.