Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Bug Squash posted:

I'd actually prefer for Kole to be as literary as he wants. It's genuinely interesting to hear about really high end interpretations and concepts about Dark Souls.

To clarify, making fun of Kole for saying Cycle of Samsara is not me making fun of him for being literary, it's for making the same literary allusion many times over. And lest that make me come off as mean, I also make the same references over and over and fully expect to be made fun of as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

SoulChicken posted:

I just got so loving owned.

Hahaha this is so loving great. I'm not making fun of you, but I just love that people are still falling for The Onion and Clickhole articles. Bonus points for you being the first person I've ever seen fall for a Clickhole article....

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

EC posted:

Hahaha this is so loving great. I'm not making fun of you, but I just love that people are still falling for The Onion and Clickhole articles. Bonus points for you being the first person I've ever seen fall for a Clickhole article....

Hundreds of Gamergate dumbies fell for this. http://www.clickhole.com/article/summary-gamergate-movement-we-will-immediately-cha-1241

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Woffle posted:

To clarify, making fun of Kole for saying Cycle of Samsara is not me making fun of him for being literary, it's for making the same literary allusion many times over. And lest that make me come off as mean, I also make the same references over and over and fully expect to be made fun of as well.
Oh heavens, no, I don't think anyone could walk away from from any of your podcasts thinking you were being mean. The interplay between you guys is an absolute delight. I was just thinking recently that Kole wasn't making as many of his high brow observations as he seemed to in the earlier WoFF and BFSC episodes, and I was missing them. Him getting made fun of for those observations is also my favourite parts of those episodes so I thought we're missing out on two fronts without them.

That's enough backseat Podcasting though. You guys do a fantastic job and I wouldn't want to tinker with a winning formula.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Bug Squash posted:

Oh heavens, no, I don't think anyone could walk away from from any of your podcasts thinking you were being mean. The interplay between you guys is an absolute delight. I was just thinking recently that Kole wasn't making as many of his high brow observations as he seemed to in the earlier WoFF and BFSC episodes, and I was missing them. Him getting made fun of for those observations is also my favourite parts of those episodes so I thought we're missing out on two fronts without them.

That's enough backseat Podcasting though. You guys do a fantastic job and I wouldn't want to tinker with a winning formula.

Kole probably stopped himself. As early as our 6th or 7th episode, I made a bingo card of stuff we said too much. We're both really wary of broken recording.

Also, I wasn't offended or anything. Thank you for the support, my friend.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I'm self conscious about coming across as pretentious. I know that's a danger for me, and people have called me out on it, so I try and temper my references and my college words. At least somewhat.

There's also the fact that you can only beat the drum for certain words and concepts for so long before it starts to sound like that's the only thing you know about.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki

EC posted:

Backstory - Patrick Rothfuss posted it on his Facebook, I clicked the link, read very little and thought "wait until the SA gaming podcast thread hears about this. I will compare it to Dan not knowing about mortgages! Haha it's going to be awesome"

I didn't see it was clickhole but I clearly I was asking for it!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

SoulChicken posted:

Backstory - Patrick Rothfuss posted it on his Facebook, I clicked the link, read very little and thought "wait until the SA gaming podcast thread hears about this. I will compare it to Dan not knowing about mortgages! Haha it's going to be awesome"

I didn't see it was clickhole but I clearly I was asking for it!

No worries, I got rick-rolled by a fake Ant-Man trailer the other day, but not before emailing it to several other people.

BadGoonsUnite

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Whoever said that Gary and Kole should stop reading Gamefaqs posts on Abject Suffering is dead wrong. That stuff is gold, and I hope that someone will honor MY memory by writing a faq of a lovely NES game when I die.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Thousands of Gamergate dumbies fell for "It's about ethics in game jounalism"

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Whoever said that Gary and Kole should stop reading Gamefaqs posts on Abject Suffering is dead wrong. That stuff is gold, and I hope that someone will honor MY memory by writing a faq of a lovely NES game when I die.

Oh god, it's embarrassing to dig up the old gamefaqs contributions now and again.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Re: The latest Retronauts, I think my biggest game "purchase" regret was the Christmas where I used my one allotted wishlist spot for games to ask for Shadow the Hedgehog :negative: Most embarrassing moment related to spending money on games was the time I went apeshit in a Blockbuster because they didn't have a copy of Mega Man X3 for rent. Granted I was a dumb 7-year old but I didn't even go apeshit on my parents, my poor babysitter had to put that fire out and despite being a good friend of my mom's I don't think she ever babysat me again.

Best gaming purchase was during Gamestop's GC/GBA/PS2 liquidation sale a few years ago, where I picked up a Gamestop Pikmin case, took it the counter, and the dude said "I don't have Pikmin, will you take this Pikmin 2 disc instead?". I haven't tried playing it yet :goleft:

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Outer Wilds is loving destroying my brain. That game is out of goddamn control.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Woffle posted:

Having callbacks is fine as long as it's not overused and is balanced with new content, just like Homer trying to balance the water in the tank to balance out the fish and Mr Pinchy.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Here's what a PS3 supercomputer actually looks like btw:

A researcher there posted in the Thumbs forum about it.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I really want to play Puyo Puyo Tetris now.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ja2ke posted:

Here's what a PS3 supercomputer actually looks like btw:

A researcher there posted in the Thumbs forum about it.

That's not a PS3 supercomputer, this is:

(This is a US Air Force test for the 1700 console cluster they were planning shortly before Sony dropped Linux support.)

edit: Oh, they actually built the 1760 unit cluser -- it was the 33rd largest supercomputer in the world at the time and analyzed satellite imagery.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 14, 2015

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Funkmaster General posted:

Japan gets that while the rest of the world gets hot Ubisoft garbage :waycool:. At least it's importable.

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.

Funkmaster General posted:

I... may have imported a copy 5 minutes into the Giant Bomb Quick Look.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

RetroHelix posted:

I... may have imported a copy 5 minutes into the Giant Bomb Quick Look.

I almost did. Then I put on the bombcast today and it just had to happen.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Inspired by all the Dan talk in this thread, most of my contribution to this week's Idle Thumbs is talking about how much of an idiot I am, and what dumb situations I get myself into, when it comes to doing things normal people seem to understand. Hopefully it generates like 6 pages of hate and bafflement towards me.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

ja2ke posted:

Inspired by all the Dan talk in this thread, most of my contribution to this week's Idle Thumbs is talking about how much of an idiot I am, and what dumb situations I get myself into, when it comes to doing things normal people seem to understand. Hopefully it generates like 6 pages of hate and bafflement towards me.

It might take ten or eleven straight weeks of this to have the desired effect. I wish you well on this voyage.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

ja2ke posted:

Naw people will start reading the old episodes, be shocked on how you act and talk and then accuse you of being a mean-spirited stupid poopyhole. Then of course you guys will do a short google/robot/year of the PS3 news segment and a recent archive reader with no concept of running jokes or running gags will flip their poo poo on how you are beating the dead horse and its no longer funny.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
WE ARE DAN

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Danielle saying "they suck your happiness" made me chitter like a monkey.

I am literally five years old

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ja2ke posted:

Going to start a new podcast on the IT network in addition Thumbs proper and Twin Peaks Rewatch called Mortgage Walk With Me where you talk to an institutional lender about the finer points of borrowing money?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Now I understand that family guy episode about disney, that was insane.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

This got turned around quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py__kssV_fE

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ja2ke posted:

If you only ate Taco Bell for like 20 years exclusively before branching out to other parts of their menu then maybe you would reach Dan's level.

Maybe.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
The reason his car was full of burger king wrappers is that secretly that's all Jake's eaten in his entire life :tinfoil:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Captain Novolin posted:

The reason his car was full of burger king wrappers is that secretly that's all Jake's eaten in his entire life :tinfoil:

At least he understands how a car loan works.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

Captain Novolin posted:

Sorry I think you mean Richard.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Richard is...

Rodkin

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Swagger Dagger posted:

Richard is...

Rodkin

Ricky Rodkin is a fantastic name.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Gonna need a animated segment on the Venn diagram discussion in the new Thumbs, that was awesome. That whole episode was great, in fact.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Hey Bob, I've enjoyed reading (and listening) to your pieces on Majora's Mask. I'm now pumped to actually play it. I was one of those people back in 2000 that was turned off by it's weirdness, yet in 2015 I'm one of those people that enjoys Zelda but is so sick of the standard formula that it sounds like just what the doctor ordered. One problem, I don't have a 3ds nor the funds to pick one up anytime soon (just got a Wii U and PS4 recently). My wife actually has an N64 in storage with Majora. My question is this - do I just wait until eventually picking up a 3ds sometime next year to play it OR do I head to our storage unit and find the 64 version. The answer to this seems like it would be simple (duh, go play the version I have access to) except that in all those videos the visuals look they have improved so much that I'm wondering if I should just wait to experience it "the best way" first. Some of those comparisons of the original to the remake look startling. The poor N64 version looks hideously ugly. What would you (or anyone else that wants to chime in) do?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Szmitten posted:

Ricky Rodkin is a fantastic name.

Dick RodKing.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Hey Bob, I've enjoyed reading (and listening) to your pieces on Majora's Mask. I'm now pumped to actually play it. I was one of those people back in 2000 that was turned off by it's weirdness, yet in 2015 I'm one of those people that enjoys Zelda but is so sick of the standard formula that it sounds like just what the doctor ordered. One problem, I don't have a 3ds nor the funds to pick one up anytime soon (just got a Wii U and PS4 recently). My wife actually has an N64 in storage with Majora. My question is this - do I just wait until eventually picking up a 3ds sometime next year to play it OR do I head to our storage unit and find the 64 version. The answer to this seems like it would be simple (duh, go play the version I have access to) except that in all those videos the visuals look they have improved so much that I'm wondering if I should just wait to experience it "the best way" first. Some of those comparisons of the original to the remake look startling. The poor N64 version looks hideously ugly. What would you (or anyone else that wants to chime in) do?

I dunno, I still think Majora's Mask is pretty playable on the N64, even if it's kind of fugly. If you have a Wii or Wii U, you can always get the Virtual Console version, which looks a bit better—it's also on a GameCube Zelda compilation disc, but that version is known to lock up, and I'm not exactly sure how expensive it is. Honestly, though, if you're going to be picking up a 3DS anyway, it might be best to wait, since it'll be a much better experience (and you've waited this long anyway). Anyhow, I'm glad I was able to convince you!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

bobservo posted:

I dunno, I still think Majora's Mask is pretty playable on the N64, even if it's kind of fugly. If you have a Wii or Wii U, you can always get the Virtual Console version, which looks a bit better—it's also on a GameCube Zelda compilation disc, but that version is known to lock up, and I'm not exactly sure how expensive it is. Honestly, though, if you're going to be picking up a 3DS anyway, it might be best to wait, since it'll be a much better experience (and you've waited this long anyway). Anyhow, I'm glad I was able to convince you!

Thanks for the input. I'll probably just hold off since like you said...it's already been about 15 years. I actually had a 2DS up until a couple months ago when I sold it to put the cash towards a Wii U. I just wasn't a fan of the smaller screen and cramped button layout. I'm looking forward to eventually getting one probably next fall. That'll be something to look forward to I guess. Anyways, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Also, I don't know when it dropped but I'm just now getting around to the WOFF Rock Band episode. I didn't own Rock Band but being in college in the late 200Xs meant I played a grip of it during that time. I also had Guitar Hero III (on Wii) and a love of this kind of music which certainly helped foster a love for these games while they were in the public eye. And I was in band & orchestra in high school and college so I had some rhythmic ability.

I had actually been thinking about digging my GH3 controller out of my garage and noodling around with it this weekend, between your episode and Giant Bomb talking about new Rock Band DLC I went down there and found it. And you guys mentioned a few of my favorite songs from that game which I didn't know were also in Rock Band, like Paranoid, Reptilia, and Cities on Flame With Rock & Roll :allears:

• Locked thread