Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Tai posted:

SAM street? I'm probably blanking and/or being dumb since I just got in from work....

Sorry, probably my fault for not being clear :p Street Addon Mod. http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/19734-sam-street-addon-mod-version-3/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
SAM's been built into NAM for several versions now. No need to download an outdated version.

cxp
Mar 27, 2010
Fun Shoe
Hey Tusen Takk, looks like there's a missing dependency for some farm stuff:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Tusen Takk posted:

So my city seems to be hitting a CAP somewhere, but I have no idea how to read this. Can anyone shed some light on it?

(Click for huge)

I would say you need a lot more $ and $$ commercial jobs, and no new $$$ jobs for a while, based on the city's large population of $ and $$ residents and low population of $$$ residents. Of course the game is really lacking when it comes to buildings that provide large amounts of $ commercial jobs, so it helps to download a bunch of $ buildings. There are a couple large office buildings you can get that have thousands of $ jobs, so if you grow/plop enough of those and grow/plop enough smaller low wealth commercial buildings, plus do the same with $$ commercial buildings, it should help kick your city's population in the rear end and get it growing again. That's been my experience at least...it's helped me create giant dystopian cities with over 1 million low wealth residents, a few hundred thousands medium wealth ones, and just a few tens of thousands of $$$ residents, with hundreds of thousands of low and medium wealth jobs. I always still lack on jobs for low wealth residents (just like real life!), but instead of having the 20,000 $ jobs that the game likes to grow by itself without me intentionally reducing land value and also plopping stuff, I'll have like 200,000.

The game likes to build tons of high wealth stuff if you provide everything your sims want, so you may have to depress land values to get the kinds of businesses (or residences) to grow that you need: build recycling centers, incinerators (small 1x2 ones that blend in), or small industrial areas (even if it's just a single factory or a warehouse or two squeezed in between a highrise district and a freeway) near where you want said businesses/residences, neglect police and healthcare coverage, maybe education coverage too (though I find police, healthcare, and pollution are the main factors), don't saturate the area with parks and plazas, etc. Higher wealth buildings do provide a small amount of lower wealth jobs in addition to the high wealth jobs, but I'm assuming it's just not enough by itself.

Here are some good $ commercial buildings to download:

http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1950 (2300 $ jobs)
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1946 (8800 $ jobs)
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1337 (a giant warehouse with 2900 cs$ jobs)

Also download NYBT buildings such as these, which are 1x2 and have 100+ cs $ jobs each (plus wall to wall buildings like that look cool and :spergin: realistic :spergin: and vanilla sc4 is really lacking in that department):

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/27026-nybt-chinatown-shops-ii/

And here's a $$ commercial tower with 13,000 jobs:

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/28239-nybt-rockefeller-international-building/

But often all you need to do is work on a neighboring city a bit, let it run for a few months or years, and then the previous city that was stuck in a rut will start growing again.

edit: i don't know how to read half of that census poo poo either (the projections/drives stuff is confusing). I just use it to look at the number of residents of each wealth level, and make sure I have what looks like enough jobs for them.

edit #2: another great way to force certain wealth levels to grow/not grow, which affects the entire city, is to just lower or increase taxes until the demand grows or shrinks to a desirable level.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 17, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

cxp posted:

Thanks! I'll add it to the list.

Rah! posted:

I would say you need a lot more $ and $$ commercial jobs, and no new $$$ jobs for a while, based on the city's large population of $ and $$ residents and low population of $$$ residents. Of course the game is really lacking when it comes to buildings that provide large amounts of $ commercial jobs, so it helps to download a bunch of $ buildings. There are a couple large office buildings you can get that have thousands of $ jobs, so if you grow/plop enough of those and grow/plop enough smaller low wealth commercial buildings, plus do the same with $$ commercial buildings, it should help kick your city's population in the rear end and get it growing again. That's been my experience at least...it's helped me create giant dystopian cities with over 1 million low wealth residents, a few hundred thousands medium wealth ones, and just a few tens of thousands of $$$ residents, with hundreds of thousands of low and medium wealth jobs. I always still lack on jobs for low wealth residents (just like real life!), but instead of having the 20,000 $ jobs that the game likes to grow by itself without me intentionally reducing land value and also plopping stuff, I'll have like 200,000.

The game likes to build tons of high wealth stuff if you provide everything your sims want, so you may have to depress land values to get the kinds of businesses (or residences) to grow that you need: build recycling centers, incinerators (small 1x2 ones that blend in), or small industrial areas (even if it's just a single factory or a warehouse or two squeezed in between a highrise district and a freeway) near where you want said businesses/residences, neglect police and healthcare coverage, maybe education coverage too (though I find police, healthcare, and pollution are the main factors), don't saturate the area with parks and plazas, etc. Higher wealth buildings do provide a small amount of lower wealth jobs in addition to the high wealth jobs, but I'm assuming it's just not enough by itself.

http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1337 (a giant warehouse with 2900 cs$ jobs)

Also download NYBT buildings such as these, which are 1x2 and have 100+ cs $ jobs each (plus wall to wall buildings like that look cool and :spergin: realistic :spergin: and vanilla sc4 is really lacking in that department):

And here's a $$ commercial tower with 13,000 jobs:

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/28239-nybt-rockefeller-international-building/

But often all you need to do is work on a neighboring city a bit, let it run for a few months or years, and then the previous city that was stuck in a rut will start growing again.

edit: i don't know how to read half of that census poo poo either (the projections/drives stuff is confusing). I just use it to look at the number of residents of each wealth level, and make sure I have what looks like enough jobs for them.
Nice, I'll add these to the next MacPack :3:

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Never downloaded it. Maybe it's in OF 3.0. Can't say I've seen it personally in my regions what you have described.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
More mods that I like. Add to the MACPACK if you like them.

It's like a selection of ploppable out of town commercial largeish shops.

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/10990-plop-a-shop-pack-1/
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/10991-plop-a-shop-pack-2/
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/10992-plop-a-shop-pack-3/
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/11045-plop-a-shop-pack-4/

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

These own, my wife loves the target super centre I put in my city and was genuinely interested in the game when she found out you can do that haha. Thanks!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

These are excellent and SimGoober is awesome, but I will say--those jobs should be C$, not C$$.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I dunno what's in me, but I couldn't sit down and properly start playing Sim City 4 until I first did all the unnecessary work of generating my own heightmap. The end result really isn't too much more than hitting a perlin noise generator a bunch of times and experimenting with loading it into SC4. It's nowhere as sophisticated as other heightmaps, and even looks generated: see how the fault lines line up precisely with the plot grid. But I'm happy with the variety I see here: mountains, islands, a green valley. Plus I can terraform as I take over the map to make it look more unique. Lots of big and small plots, pretty interesting coastlines, at least from this angle.

Jigsawing the plots out turned out to be a lot more work than I thought.

I have no idea whether this will turn out to be an amazing region or a very tedious one, but it was fun to make the attempt. I'm going to start by colonizing the island to the far west, and spreading throughout. I kind of wish I could simulate war over thousands of years or something. (Civilization was never Sim City enough, and Sim City was never Civ enough.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
If you knock out the ismuth separating the Sea from that large lake you'd have a nice sheltered harbour right next to a bunch of usable, flatt-ish land. Seems like a natural spot for your major center.

The inlet to the right would have made a nice harbour zone too if not for the fairly steep gradient surrounding it, as well as the map edge.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I'm trying to download Tai's Pack from the OP, but it's asking me for a decryption key. Is that happening to anyone else when you click the link?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Tai posted:

Never downloaded it. Maybe it's in OF 3.0. Can't say I've seen it personally in my regions what you have described.

Huh, must be something I did then. Cheerfully withdrawn!

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Because the link has been shortened so for some odd reason, it's not directing you to the right place.

https://mega.co.nz/#!u1cknZDY!JVND8NDo20iNQ9ZebIpzf6vU1LSCTDB5GBogT0H5rxI

That's what the link should be. I'll PM punch to get it edited.

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

I feel like I've asked this before, but what is the terrain mod for the Fhuzo map?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

So I deleted the old city I was working on because I felt like I could pinpoint why I screwed up with it, and I started a new one but the stupid RCI is stagnating and I cannot get any more residential or commercial sectors to pop up. My Sims wanted agricultural zones so I made a few but it's still stuck with no residential or commercial, and on top of that there's "no job" zots coming up all over. What did I gently caress up?

Edit: Now they're asking for commercial. I put up high density zones, nothing. :argh:

Zeether fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 17, 2015

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

suztan posted:

I feel like I've asked this before, but what is the terrain mod for the Fhuzo map?

As what does it do and why it's required for Fhuzo?

Zeether posted:

So I deleted the old city I was working on because I felt like I could pinpoint why I screwed up with it, and I started a new one but the stupid RCI is stagnating and I cannot get any more residential or commercial sectors to pop up. My Sims wanted agricultural zones so I made a few but it's still stuck with no residential or commercial, and on top of that there's "no job" zots coming up all over. What did I gently caress up?

Edit: Now they're asking for commercial. I put up high density zones, nothing. :argh:

You have likely hit a certain point where you need something in the city to let it develop and it could be anything even down to lowering taxes by 0.5%.

As for the no job lots, it is highly likely it is 'Commute time is too long' if you query the house. Basically, your transportation sucks balls and they are having to drive miles. Sims don't like long commute times in the car but are fine doing it on buses, trains etc.

What KIND of commerce are they asking for though? Slapping in high density commercial isn't always going to fix the problem.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Rah! posted:

These are in OF3.0 and Tai's mod pack so if you like them and you have either of those packs, the ploppable versions are in the landmarks folder in game.

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

Tai posted:

As what does it do and why it's required for Fhuzo?

Well, I'm not really sure how to describe this, but I'm guessing in the raw save files there's some texture data so that, in region view, it looks like there's a texture mod installed, but when you open the map itself, the game can't find the (nonexistent anyway) texture file for the terrain, and thus displays whatever the dominant file is. I want to know what mod that is so I can have the full Fhuzo experience.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Tai posted:

You have likely hit a certain point where you need something in the city to let it develop and it could be anything even down to lowering taxes by 0.5%.

As for the no job lots, it is highly likely it is 'Commute time is too long' if you query the house. Basically, your transportation sucks balls and they are having to drive miles. Sims don't like long commute times in the car but are fine doing it on buses, trains etc.

What KIND of commerce are they asking for though? Slapping in high density commercial isn't always going to fix the problem.
They were asking for medium, but a very small amount.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

suztan posted:

Well, I'm not really sure how to describe this, but I'm guessing in the raw save files there's some texture data so that, in region view, it looks like there's a texture mod installed, but when you open the map itself, the game can't find the (nonexistent anyway) texture file for the terrain, and thus displays whatever the dominant file is. I want to know what mod that is so I can have the full Fhuzo experience.

The Terrain mod you talked about is the mod that you need.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Zeether posted:

They were asking for medium, but a very small amount.

Maybe just try running the game at cheetah for 50 years. Sometimes that's all that is needed.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Poizen Jam posted:

If you knock out the ismuth separating the Sea from that large lake you'd have a nice sheltered harbour right next to a bunch of usable, flatt-ish land. Seems like a natural spot for your major center.

Yep, that's just what I was thinking.

My plan for the slight concavity to the northwest is to hollow it out some and turn it into a wide desert community like Night Vale. It may or may not be plagued with the occasional UFO visit.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

cxp posted:

Tusen Takk posted:

Brown Boxes and their fixes:
If you want to be organised, you can do this
  • On Mac, make a folder under Macintosh HD > Users > [username] > Library > Containers > com.aspyr.simcity4.appstore > Data > Documents > SimCity 4 > Plugins >; CAMeLOTs > Dependancies and call it BrownBox Fixes
  • On Windows, do the same thing except under your My Documents or Programme Files (x86), whichever you prefer
otherwise, just unzip it and paste them into the CAMeLOT folder under plugins

Here yah go mate

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I'm getting frustrating trying to find a region I'd like to use. I'm not interested in wall-to-wall large maps as appear exclusively on the various fan sites, I'd like to be able to pull open a small or medium map too, especially for the sake of my poor CPU. Maybe help crash less. Anyone have any good regions? Preferably with a nice mix of water/flat land/mountains.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
There's a low density C$$$ tower with like 1200 jobs that keeps spawning in my cities after I installed Tai's pack called the Sheffield Arts Tower, which dat is it packed in so I can delete it?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

rscott posted:

There's a low density C$$$ tower with like 1200 jobs that keeps spawning in my cities after I installed Tai's pack called the Sheffield Arts Tower, which dat is it packed in so I can delete it?

If you have the data packed version you can;t unfortunately. If you have the older versions I released that weren't pack together then it's in the NDEX and Associates folder.

The chain building of something happens randomly when everything aligns. It's best to blow it up a few times and if that fails, blow up the surrounding tiles also.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Let's say I have one core city with some smaller cities around it in the region. Is there a way to share education? So I use my core city to build a school system, and people from surrounding areas commute and use it?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
No, education is done by it's catchment area that the building has. If it's within the green circle then sims will receive education depending on what tier (elementary etc) and then it decides if the sim(s) will get 100% on offer. Over crowding reduces the effect of the building. School bus funding increases radius.

Download education (and other civic) mods because quite frankly, stock civic buildings suck balls for the radius as does the capacity.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Iunnrais posted:

I'm getting frustrating trying to find a region I'd like to use. I'm not interested in wall-to-wall large maps as appear exclusively on the various fan sites, I'd like to be able to pull open a small or medium map too, especially for the sake of my poor CPU. Maybe help crash less. Anyone have any good regions? Preferably with a nice mix of water/flat land/mountains.

I have one that fits that description. It's based on a Wellington, NZ region map that I downloaded, but I cropped it smaller because it was enormous, and changed it from being all large maps to being a mix, trying to put the divisions in good places. It is still mostly large maps in the better building locations though.

Download here.

Unfortunately I didn't save the original version of the region without any cities on it. I've removed my cities in the download above, but there are some slight differences in the land left over from city stuff. Having said that, the original region data has the reclaimed land that the real city has already in it as well, and it's quite good because it provides a bit of flat land to build on.

Nition fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 18, 2015

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
The Case of Martin Heidegger, Philosopher and Nazi Part 2: The Cover-up

Tai posted:

No, education is done by it's catchment area that the building has. If it's within the green circle then sims will receive education depending on what tier (elementary etc) and then it decides if the sim(s) will get 100% on offer. Over crowding reduces the effect of the building. School bus funding increases radius.

Download education (and other civic) mods because quite frankly, stock civic buildings suck balls for the radius as does the capacity.

What about the university? Does it dish out higher education only on its own square or does it have regionwide effects?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Pretty sure the University isn't regional but it has full map coverage so handy for those big tiles. College does exactly the same but less capacity I think. Don't have access to the game at the mo to check.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

kinnas posted:

What about the university? Does it dish out higher education only on its own square or does it have regionwide effects?

No, it only educates the city it's in. It does, however, cover the whole city.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Is anyone using this SC4 launcher thing and if so it it any good?

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/28544-sc4-launcher/

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I am, and it works fine. Few quirks: for some reason it takes a while to start up on my machine (virus scan trigger or update timeout), and it asks to update every time, even though there is no update, or apparently any address to ask for an update from. I peered at it using procmon.exe, and it's just passing command line arguments to the SC4 executable, so I ended up just making my own menu with Pegtop PStart with my own custom shortcuts, so I wouldn't have to deal with the upgrade request and slower startup. (Plus, with PStart I have little links to my profile folder, the manual, the work folder where I built my heightmaps, etc.)

Overall, if you're looking for a pretty painless way to launch the game and fiddle with startup settings, it's a good choice. Once you know what startup settings you want, though, just make your own shortcut.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 19, 2015

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

I am, and it works fine. Few quirks: for some reason it takes a while to start up on my machine (virus scan trigger or update timeout), and it asks to update every time, even though there is no update, or apparently any address to ask for an update from. I peered at it using procmon.exe, and it's just passing command line arguments to the SC4 executable, so I ended up just making my own menu with Pegtop PStart with my own custom shortcuts, so I wouldn't have to deal with the upgrade request and slower startup. (Plus, with PStart I have little links to my profile folder, the manual, the work folder where I built my heightmaps, etc.)

Overall, if you're looking for a pretty painless way to launch the game and fiddle with startup settings, it's a good choice. Once you know what startup settings you want, though, just make your own shortcut.

Well it got updated today by the author so it was top of the page on simtropolis so I was curious to what it's uses were.

Is there anything it offers over starting it up manually since I'm happy with my settings that you can change in game. Is there other hidden settings it lets you change that you don't have the option in game?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I can't see what it does that just adding some flags to the command line yourself doesn't, besides autosaving. Am I missing something?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Started work on my New England style market town.

The bit too large building on the right is probably coming down for a lower one and I'm probably going to lower the tree height near the market town or scrap the trees all together and use bushes and/or more of a open park style filler. It's going to be a 10k population middle class town so mostly low density semi rich sims who prefere to live in the country instead of the big city. Long Island, NY comes to mind.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So how many folks abuse the 'make historical' feature or just plain plop buildings?

I don't think that would be too unrealistic even if used- generally speaking demolitions have to be approved, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Poizen Jam posted:

So how many folks abuse the 'make historical' feature or just plain plop buildings?

I don't think that would be too unrealistic even if used- generally speaking demolitions have to be approved, correct?

I don't think the "make historical" feature would be considered unrealistic. I know here in Toronto there are some old buildings that are preserved, or at least a certain amount of the facade is.

• Locked thread