Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Should be the name of the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Anybody not on board with the time jump can just pretend the finales of the last three seasons were series finales. The show was getting pretty stale and the time jump with all its non-sequiturs was just what it needed.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

keevo posted:

Wait why are they airing this over a month?
NBC has to make room for all their hit new shows like

FadingChord posted:

I think complaining about Jamm being out of character for (most of) the second episode is missing the entire point of both Tammys and how they turn their lovers into completely different people.

They set up Jamm/Tammy 2 in the last episode of last season (especially the extended version) and it had too much potential not to revisit. And it was all worth it :allears:
I wasn't complaining about Jamm being out of character, read again.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I don't think the episodes were bad by any stretch, but they did just feel off.

I think it might be best to think of this season as an epilogue kinda thing.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I love that, in a couple years, Kevin James is apparently going to take off bigtime. I chuckled when Leslie mentioned that he was an odd choice for the Bourne Identity reboot, and on a rewatch, boring April and Andy are planning to stay home and watch Hitch 2.

Glad that guy's getting some work.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
I wonder if we'll get to hear Ben's opinion on the new Star Wars

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012

Phenotype posted:

Leslie mentioned that he was an odd choice for the Bourne Identity reboot,

I think he nailed it.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

tin can made man posted:

I wonder if we'll get to hear Ben's opinion on the new Star Wars

I'm more interested in references to all of the new Twin Peaks stuff! Between the recent box set and the upcoming new miniseries....

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
They're probably not going to reference either of those things. They're using the setting to tell a few silly jokes, not set down The Parks and Rec Prophecies.

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

It really can't be overstated how funny that Megan Mullally impression was, and how committed Leslie was. I hope they release a lot of deleted takes someday.

JAMM! Strip down, ya sex maggot!!

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Illinois Smith posted:

Also kinda bummed out that Tom's former love interest they decided to bring back isn't Tatiana Maslany.

Who's the girl they brought back? She looks familiar but I don't remember who she is.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Cant wait for an episode where Tom has to pick up Jean Ralphio after serving two years in prison for some scam.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

bamhand posted:

Who's the girl they brought back? She looks familiar but I don't remember who she is.
She 's Lucy, introduced as the ~hot bartender GF~ when tom just broke up with Wendy.
Tom bought a ton of girls drinks at the Snakehole hoping for a date/kiss/etc and when he went to pay the tab they joked around, he asked her out.
They broke up when Tom was obviously jealous of Ron+Wendy. Jean-Ralphio invited her to the E720 bankruptcy party (unknowing she was Tom's ex) and they reconnected, but she was moving out of town.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

bamhand posted:

She's also the girl responsible for Tom's face in the opening credits.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Zedd posted:

Jean-Ralphio invited her to the E720 bankruptcy party (unknowing she was Tom's ex) and they reconnected, but she was moving out of town.

Where she said the most unrealistic bit of dialogue in the entirety of Parks and Rec:

"Grad school's a lot of fun."

I mean, next to that, Kevin James as Jason Bourne is completely believable.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Illinois Smith posted:

Also kinda bummed out that Tom's former love interest they decided to bring back isn't Tatiana Maslany.

She is the one from The End of the World though, which is a beautiful, glorious episode and Parks and Recreation at its best.

PittTheElder posted:

Because NBC is bad at decisions.

I really miss 30 Rock and its constant mockery of NBC and its shows.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
NBC is bad at decisions but at least this one works out for us viewers. 2 episodes a week until it's over? Yes, please.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

Where she said the most unrealistic bit of dialogue in the entirety of Parks and Rec:

Well, she could have been getting an MBA which if my friends are at all representative consists of lots of drinking, an hour or two of class, and then blow on a yacht. Also I live in Miami so our Tuesday mornings are a little different.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Dave Angel posted:

I really miss 30 Rock and its constant mockery of NBC and its shows.
I'm still angry that Milf Island and Bitch Hunter don't actually exist for me to watch the poo poo out of.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Chairman Capone posted:

Notice that she's now running her ex-boyfriend's Italian bistro in small-town Indiana.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

There was another really blatant piece of product placement in one of the episodes, but I can't remember what it is now. It was weird, they didn't show the thing, but they mentioned it really explicitly a couple of times, so I wasn't sure if it was paid-for.

Was it April telling Andy that he always feels better after taking a Zantac? That pulled me out of the show a bit

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

pzy posted:

Was it April telling Andy that he always feels better after taking a Zantac? That pulled me out of the show a bit

I think Andy referring to any medication by its actual name and not the trade/brand name would be even worse.

"I always feel better after taking omeprazole HCl!"

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
That wouldn't be so far-fetched. He remembers things.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

pzy posted:

Yeah that was it!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/152274765/the-cones-of-dunshire

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Yeah that was it!

I mean honestly would it have been any better if he said Tums, or pepcid? Its kind of like the term band-aid, it's a brand name has entered the standard lexicon. Same with Tylenol.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

swickles posted:

I mean honestly would it have been any better if he said Tums, or pepcid? Its kind of like the term band-aid, it's a brand name has entered the standard lexicon. Same with Tylenol.

I've never heard anyone say Zantac in a genericized way, and it seems like it would be more in-character for those two to say something like "your heartburn pills" but I don't really feel like this is a hill I need to die on.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

I've never heard anyone say Zantac in a genericized way, and it seems like it would be more in-character for those two to say something like "your heartburn pills" but I don't really feel like this is a hill I need to die on.

Yeah but the whole point was they were acting like adults.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
That idea of April and Andy dealing with the reality of having grown up was previously explored to great effect in Jerry's Painting, where Ben tries to teach the duo how to not live like pigs. The difference between then and now is a matter of amounts of hyperbole and style of execution.

In that earlier episode, Ben was trying to get the two of them to live basic human lives. It was a ridiculous, absurd B-story with levels of exaggeration that leave it impossible to believe, yet highly entertaining and heartwarming (the A-story of that episode is somehow even more loving insane and touching).

This 2017 look at the same idea is played much less wildly and much more believably in a very quick series of jokes spread across a very short period of time. The brand name usage and its subsequent jarring nature for both the audience and April is a great culmination of that: April and Andy have become something worse than adults. They've become uninterestingly normal. gently caress.

Speaking as someone who takes hearburn medication, my wife and I always refer to it by name. And she also reminds me every other night to "take your Nexium". I'm 28. That plotline hit home.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Kevin James being in a comedic reboot of Bourne Identity is something I want to see

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

SaltLick posted:

Kevin James being in a comedic reboot of Bourne Identity is something I want to see

I was picturing it as being closer to the time Seth Rogen lost all that weight to be the Green Hornet.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

SaltLick posted:

It is a completely serious film. Definitely.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah but the whole point was they were acting like adults.

Adulthood is not signified by adherence to corporate branding guidelines

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

codenameFANGIO posted:

It is a completely serious film. Definitely.

Andy said it was surprisingly funny :colbert:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I'm glad the show is finally ending. I got into P&R because I liked having a feelgood sitcom about good friends working together to overcome obstacles as opposed to all the cringe comedy that was big at the time, but ever since Leslie got elected to city council the show pulled a complete 180 and everybody became more shrill and antagonistic and the show became about Leslie being hated for no reason and getting torn down. I was excited for the final season because of the possibilities of the timeskip, but they blew it on making everybody even more divided, made the show's best characters suddenly hate each other for no reason, and blew their comedy wad on lazy fake future jokes like evil AIs and [wacky actor] in [serious role] haha like that would ever happen right guys??? :razz:

PittTheElder posted:

Because NBC is bad at decisions.

Parks and Recreation season one was a terrible show with bad ratings that would have gotten cancelled on any other network. Community and P&R fans getting salty about NBC when the network is more or less single-handedly responsible for the shows having more than a single season is always fairly loving rich.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

AnimeJune posted:

I'm still angry that Milf Island and Bitch Hunter don't actually exist for me to watch the poo poo out of.

Now I'm going to have to go back and watch all of 30 Rock again.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I don't think there's too much "wacky future" humor. I'm not a fan of the future holo-tablet stuff either but I'm all for the characters having drifted apart over the years. That's kind of what happens with people when you stop seeing them regularly. As far as Ron and Leslie hating each other "for no reason" goes, we do have a reason, a "Morningstar" incident that's almost certainly going to be explained at some point during the season.

I think it'd be worse if the relationships between the characters remained in stasis over the course of the 3 year time skip. Leslie and Ron's falling out has me interested to learn exactly what happened to lead them to this after being such strong friends before.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 17, 2015

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Now I'm going to have to go back and watch all of 30 Rock again.

Milf island is one of my favorite episodes of television.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

and the show became about Leslie being hated for no reason and getting torn down.

See, it's funny because I feel in this and the last season the show actually did the opposite and dialed Leslie's self-righteousness up 300%, to the point where it's almost as grating as season 1 Leslie used to be. It honestly makes it a lot harder to root for her compared to the earlier seasons. Case in point, pretty much any plot last season that involved her getting in a fight with Ben was handled in a way that made me feel way more cringey than amused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Too funny.

Green Bay’s Board-Game Obsession

Wait until the Cones of Dunshire comes out.

• Locked thread