Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Matt it might be too late but can you tell Pat that I really love SH2 just like he does but he doesn't need to spoil literally everything the second they first show up because it ruins things for people who haven't played the game and is kind of pointless for people who HAVE played it. Just chill out and let the game speak for itself a bit.

He's just a bit over-eager and way too in a hurry to explain why the game's good and the videos are really rough because of it.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah I'd love to have watched the SH2 playthrough with the missus but the whole JAMES KILLED HIS WIFE DO YOU GET IT YET every episode kind of nipped that in the bud.

edit: spoiling that just in case

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 15, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Quote is not Edit.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

I haven't played sh2 and liked how he was explaining things. I hadn't picked up on James killing his wife :/
E: did he ever outright say that? Because I don't remember it

goldblums eyes fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 15, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

goldblums eyes posted:

I haven't played sh2 and liked how he was explaining things. I hadn't picked up on James killing his wife :/

Wow really? I've had two friends who never played it (Even with my pestering) talking about Pat's spoiling poo poo with his very thin insinuations in the LP.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Wow really? I've had two friends who never played it (Even with my pestering) talking about Pat's spoiling poo poo with his very thin insinuations in the LP.

True he was saying a lot of lore you wouldn't know if you haven't played the game before, but I never felt Spoiled by any of it. Maybe I'm just a bad listener though and didn't fully hear something he said.

goldblums eyes fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 15, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

goldblums eyes posted:

True he was saying a lot of lore you wouldn't know if you haven't played the game before, but I never felt Spoiled by any of it.

Everything he's said are things you're supposed to figure out/you learn much later. Like the reason behind Jame's being here/the monster designs/ etc. are supposed to be weird creepy mysteries and knowing all that up front lets you sit there and basically figure everything out now (especially with Pat continually filling in gaps as you find them). It's a lot like you're touring a museum and there's just no time for the view to appreciate poo poo because you have a tour guide whispering in your ear what exactly each artist meant with each piece.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah Silent Hill is basically the one series where you can't go "do you know what THAT represents?? *cheeky grin of anticipation*" without spoiling something with your answer. Though really that only applies to I think like 2, 3, and maybe Homecoming. MAYBE Downpour too if I'm being generous.

edit: And maybe 4 if you count the ghosts as enemies but then the whole reason it'd spoil anything is because you'd have to explain whose ghost it is you're pointing out which spoils plot stuff obviously.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
While I'm inclined to agree with what's been said above, SH2 is an old game so I feel like SPOILER WARNINGS at this point in time are a little dated.

Symbolism things could be dialed back though, for sure since it does reveal too much in the beginning.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 15, 2015

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

I definitely understand what you guys are saying, I guess I just didn't have a problem with it haha. As for spoilers, the game came out when I was 10 so I couldn't play it then I never got around to it because of not having a ps2. That's on me, but the idea of "this game is old so it's okay to spoil it" is.. idk, yeah.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Woof theres some ludicrous screen tearing in no mo heroes WOOOOOOF, really good videos though Matt.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So went to watch the Nintendo Direct video and whenever I hit play I get a error message and linked to JWplayer

I have never heard of JWplayer, is that uh, supposed to be happening?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So went to watch the Nintendo Direct video and whenever I hit play I get a error message and linked to JWplayer

I have never heard of JWplayer, is that uh, supposed to be happening?

JWplayer is the plugin they're using to play video on their website. So, Probably on the JWplayer linking, probably not on the whole error message.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sadly jwplayer is probably the best you can get if you're not a big website that can afford to make your own video player as far as I understand.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Compendium posted:

While I'm inclined to agree with what's been said above, SH2 is an old game so I feel like SPOILER WARNINGS at this point in time are a little dated.

While I agree that worry about spoilers at large isn't an issue it's just kind of baffling to go "MAN I want to do this LP so people can see the REAL SH2 and appreciate it for how good it is! Now let me spend the first 2 videos spoiling as much as I can." It seems kind of counter to what he wants to do with the LP.

Like I said, it all feels like Pat's trying way too hard and is way too eager to show off what makes it good and that kind of kills a game that's about atmosphere and quiet, slow revelations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

What did you guys think would happen when you kept posturing in front of Ramsey?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah gonna have to pass this up, I'm a loving neanderthal and can't figure a flash player out. Just getting file cannot be read and the website just wants me to host stuff.

Also I have never seen Game of Thrones before nor did I really intend to start watching it any time soon and even I saw where that confrontation was going. Jeez tho.

Edit: So it turns out I didn't have a up to date flash player on my new harddrive :suicide: Boy am I a colossal idiot.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 16, 2015

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

While I agree that worry about spoilers at large isn't an issue it's just kind of baffling to go "MAN I want to do this LP so people can see the REAL SH2 and appreciate it for how good it is! Now let me spend the first 2 videos spoiling as much as I can." It seems kind of counter to what he wants to do with the LP.

Like I said, it all feels like Pat's trying way too hard and is way too eager to show off what makes it good and that kind of kills a game that's about atmosphere and quiet, slow revelations.

I wouldn't say he's trying way too hard. Like with him going through dialogue way too fast, he doesn't realize other people don't read as fast as he does. With sh2 I imagine he thinks that everyone's played sh2 already. Maybe?? Either way I don't think it's "try hard", moreso just lack of awareness? I have no idea though. I've been fine with it, but that's because I'm new to sh2 so what he's saying doesn't register as spoils.

Matt can you weigh in on the conversation that happened before this playthrough?

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

SHUT UP IM A PAT FAN AND I DONT LIKE YOU MAKING FUN OF HIM :(

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

goldblums eyes posted:

I wouldn't say he's trying way too hard. Like with him going through dialogue way too fast, he doesn't realize other people don't read as fast as he does. With sh2 I imagine he thinks that everyone's played sh2 already. Maybe?? Either way I don't think it's "try hard", moreso just lack of awareness? I have no idea though. I've been fine with it, but that's because I'm new to sh2 so what he's saying doesn't register as spoils.

Yeah, the worst I can say about Pat in the SH2 playthrough is that he's so focused on making it the best LP possible that he's not realizing that the best LP would require him and Matt to shut up for 90% of the game. Not even in a "Pat is trying too hard" way, just that SH2 is not suited to two people who know about Silent Hill constantly talking over it.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I feel like the only reason Pat brought Matt along for the LP is because he's terrified to doing solo videos. Not that I don't like them together, but Silent Hill seems like the kind of game were Patt could go on for hours about by himself, kind of like Matt with No More Heroes.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
If it was Pat alone the spooky rela life apartment noises would have been the end of the series as he fled the building

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't
I'm really enjoying the silent hill LP. I never played it growing up, but had half watched (it was on a second monitor while I did other stuff) a LP of it a while ago. I understand the broad strokes of the story and whatnot and have absorbed a lot about the series through osmosis from just reading about video games on forums and whatnot.

I understand why some people, especially people who are deep in to SH lore would find Pat's clubbing you over the head with explanations irritating, but for me it's filling in a white space I have been curious about but didn't feel like doing the legwork to fill in myself.

I suspect there are plenty of other people in my situation out there, but as always it's the discontents that will complain the loudest.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I've watched different SH LPs over the years and that includes multiple ones of SH2 in particular. I think Pat's doing a decent job right now and I really like how into the game he is.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't
I think the good silent hills are a lot like dark souls/demon's souls where they're all so great but they both accumulate an audience who is unhappy no matter the playthrough

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

Trexy posted:

I think the good silent hills are a lot like dark souls/demon's souls where they're all so great but they both accumulate an audience who is unhappy no matter the playthrough

I think the people who bring up Pat mentioning all the symbolism have a good point though. It's not based from nothing.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Trexy posted:

The Silent Hill fanbase is basically the Dark Souls fanbase if that one podcast from Restuprae is anything to go by...

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

Depths posted:

Woof theres some ludicrous screen tearing in no mo heroes WOOOOOOF, really good videos though Matt.

Following the mention of shadows in the video, I went back to the Wii version to see what life was like, and the shadows there are at solid Black Out God levels. In the over world, when buildings cast shadows, it completely wipes all detail from character models, which is probably why they toned it way down for the remake. I think from what I've seen so far, the remake does the over world better, while the original owns its cutscenes with the shadows applied full on.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Because it was covered in the podcast man who hate buys Rosalina so fans can't have her admits that "I was just pretending to be retarded for 5 years". I'm still scalping though.

Rhonne posted:

I feel like the only reason Pat brought Matt along for the LP is because he's terrified to doing solo videos. Not that I don't like them together, but Silent Hill seems like the kind of game were Patt could go on for hours about by himself, kind of like Matt with No More Heroes.

It kinda feels that way, he isn't even really talking to Matt, it sounds more like he's talking at him.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

My fav thing about what I've seen in the sh2 playthrough so far is Pat bringing up how much Konami hosed up the HD rerelease.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

beep by grandpa posted:

My fav thing about what I've seen in the sh2 playthrough so far is Pat bringing up how much Konami hosed up the HD rerelease.

He restates it a lot because Jesus Christ it deserves to get slated that much. It just absolutely ruined the game in so many ways.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
As someone who has never played any Silent Hill games and only seen let's plays of the bad ones, I'm really enjoying this one. It's the Silent Hill 2 playthrough I've been looking for for years.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Because it was covered in the podcast man who hate buys Rosalina so fans can't have her admits that "I was just pretending to be retarded for 5 years". I'm still scalping though.

It kinda feels that way, he isn't even really talking to Matt, it sounds more like he's talking at him.

That sounds like every LP we've done together.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

beep by grandpa posted:

I assume it's about the same feeling I enjoyed from Pat and Liam's take-down of Sticker Star in the first Mario RPG video.

No exp :allears:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I wish some of these No More Heroes brands existed. Luchaco, Moai Financial, Tag Team Taco Twins, Burger Suplex... It's good naming sense.

HGH fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 16, 2015

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I'm glad we're providing a safe space for matt to moan about pat since his hatred of goons means he will never read this thread.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Why does Pat have a hatred of goons? He'd fit right in here! This site loves people who bitch about everything except for the few things that they're incredibly passionate about. :haw:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Why does Pat have a hatred of goons? He'd fit right in here! This site loves people who bitch about everything except for the few things that they're incredibly passionate about. :haw:

We bitch about the things we are passionate about too.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Matt, if Pat hasn't worked it out yet, he has to hold the attack button to swing the plank of wood down to hit monsters on the floor. SH combat is clunky but that was purely Pat loving up in the apartment.

I adore that you guys are doing this playthrough, it gives me hope to one day see Pat's unbridled rage at Book of Memories :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I forgot as it's been awhile but shouldn't Mallow have the Cymbals before Kero Sewers? I remember him only punching for Croco and Mack but thought he had something by the time that dungeon was around.