Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So, i'm gonna start reading X-Men next issue since Willow Wilson's doing an arc, is there anything i gotta know that happened to the team or is "team of women X-Men and these issues are by a writer i like" good enough?

Psylock has pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

twistedmentat posted:

Psylock has pants.

SIXIS must've brought some bizarre changes to the Marvel Universe.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So, i'm gonna start reading X-Men next issue since Willow Wilson's doing an arc, is there anything i gotta know that happened to the team or is "team of women X-Men and these issues are by a writer i like" good enough?

Ive read every single issue and I couldnt tell you wtf happened last arc.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SalTheBard posted:

Ive read every single issue and I couldnt tell you wtf happened last arc.

I as well, and I as well. It was, confusing. I remember the first plot with the evil lady team, and then Jubilee's kids real dad, but the last one in space, I have no idea. There's deathbird and the brood, and deathbird is pregnant and the brood want her for some reason and so do the Shi'ar and the Peak is destroyed, but its not. Storm dies, but Reyes keeps her alive while there are Brood/Shi'ar hybrids attacking the station. Its all a big insane clusterfuck, and I felt it was someone trying to tell a Claremont style story without his talent.

Hopefully Willow will bring it back down, make it smaller.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah actually I was thinking of picking up Wilson's issues, but is she only doing a single arc?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

When did Daken go back to being non Apocalypse's horseman? Or is Soule just ignoring Remender?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

At the end of that arc they get out of the crashed spaceship and are just like 'welp, life goes on'

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How'd he get un-blue and glowy clawed.

How'd anyone know Wolverine was dead if he was just sitting there all this time?

How.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Deadpool waltzed up to the JGS and told everyone "sorry for your loss" like a month or two in advance.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

It's not like he's actually dead anyways, we all know he's going to eventually be revealed to have been either alive or in healing factor hibernation or whatever trapped in the Adamantium whenever they want to bring him back.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Dacap posted:

It's not like he's actually dead anyways, we all know he's going to eventually be revealed to have been either alive or in healing factor hibernation or whatever trapped in the Adamantium whenever they want to bring him back.

I'm sorry, what part of, "THINGS WILL NEVER BE THE SAME EVER AGAIN, WE'RE SERIOUS THIS TIME, FOLKS," do you not understand?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Just flipped through the new X-Men, Gambit is TOTALLY the type of guy to go to Burning Man to hit on girls.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

Just flipped through the new X-Men, Gambit is TOTALLY the type of guy to go to Burning Man to hit on girls.

I didn't know how perfect that was until i saw it.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

The best part is that the girls treated him like a total cheeseball creep instead of falling for it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I picked up the new X-Men, I haven't read it yet but I'm hopeful that it'll be better than Wood's disappointing run. I wasn't too hot on the art when I flipped through it at the store, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I just hope we get a "Trapped in a Closet" parody out of this.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

The best part is that the girls treated him like a total cheeseball creep instead of falling for it.

That's what really sold me on the scene.

So, Wolverines #1....

Aside from the art, and the "let's introduce everyone" intro dialogue, I really enjoyed it. Loved seeing Sinister pop in at the end, although when did Dakken lose his healing factor?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Soonmot posted:

So, Wolverines #1....

Aside from the art, and the "let's introduce everyone" intro dialogue, I really enjoyed it. Loved seeing Sinister pop in at the end, although when did Dakken lose his healing factor?

He lost it during the last end of his solo title run by overdosing on drugs. I don't remember if he got it back after that and then lost it again. Was it explained why he's able to not be a horseman now while Banshee is "incurable".

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

So, Wolverines #1....

Death of Wolverine: Logan Legacy #7. Which might as well have been Wolverines #0. He got attacked by some freaky power suction monster that just sucked the healing right out of him.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TwoPair posted:

Death of Wolverine: Logan Legacy #7. Which might as well have been Wolverines #0. He got attacked by some freaky power suction monster that just sucked the healing right out of him.

Oh that's right! That was a forgettable mini

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

If the most recent X-Ongoing I've read was Whedon's run, and I wanted to read All New X-Men from #1, what should I read beforehand to put Cyclops into context as an aspiring villain?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

If the most recent X-Ongoing I've read was Whedon's run, and I wanted to read All New X-Men from #1, what should I read beforehand to put Cyclops into context as an aspiring villain?

Don't.

But if you must, read Schism, I guess.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And AvX.

If you're going to read them use Unlimited. AvX especially isn't cheap because it's a lot of issues, and not very good.

Also All New is the time displaced originals book (though Cyclops is in there early on.) Uncanny is the Cyclops and friends one.

Sam Steele
Apr 29, 2008
You can get by just reading a plot summery of AvX and then read the AvX: Consequences miniseries. That's the only thing I'd really consider essential.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Why spend money on comics? You can read about them on wikipedia.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's you, the man who keeps buying bad comics. Stop it!

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I honestly didn't mind a lot of AvX. :ohdear: it wasn't great but I felt entertained enough by the whole thing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I honestly didn't mind a lot of AvX. :ohdear: it wasn't great but I felt entertained enough by the whole thing.

I didn't mind the fights (which is why the A vs X miniseries was entertaining for just cutting the poo poo and showing the fights), but like most events or stories based around making heroes fight each other, all the characters act like complete loving idiots in order to facilitate as much distrust/conflict between the sides possible.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

TwoPair posted:

I didn't mind the fights (which is why the A vs X miniseries was entertaining for just cutting the poo poo and showing the fights), but like most events or stories based around making heroes fight each other, all the characters act like complete loving idiots in order to facilitate as much distrust/conflict between the sides possible.

I think the beginning of AvX was worse than the latter portions. Steve Rogers going all "you guys who usually handle your own problems just fine on your own totally can't be trusted to do that this time because I SAY SO and also america" and bringing the Avengers along to Utopia as a show of force when asking them to hand over Hope the first time felt sort of - not really in character to me in the slightest. Hm, yes, when I think Captain America, I think harassment of allegorically oppressed minorities. But I kinda liked it after that, and the stuff with the Phoenix Five and the Avengers hanging out in K'un L'un training Hope and all was good. And, yeah, the fights and poo poo were pretty entertaining. I liked that mini too.

It wasn't great but I really don't hate it as much as a lot of people here seem to, I guess. And hey, at least it was paced better than Axis! :suicide:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It still costs like $50 to buy all the issues though and you shouldn't do that.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

It still costs like $50 to buy all the issues though and you shouldn't do that.

Oh, yeah, absolutely not. I'd be so mad if I'd bought every single drat AvX thing. But there's always Marvel Unlimited ... :allears: So yeah if you wanna get up to speed, which AvX is part of, just. Just read it on Unlimited or something.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
X-Force has, after a kinda shaky start, gotten really, really good. Just saying.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

X-Force has, after a kinda shaky start, gotten really, really good. Just saying.

I've had this on my backburner for aaaaages and hadn't gotten around to reading it. Just read it all in one day and, yup, I'm sold. Can't wait 'till the next issue. This team is so hosed up. :allears:

Cable looking like he belongs in MGS is also great.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

This is like every Spurrier series and people always give up before it reaches that point.

And that's why they are always cancelled. I really don't get how his name hasn't got that mark of confidence yet.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

See and I was talking to my shop when X-Men Legacy was ending and they said they got a few people that dropped the series because it was being canceled. So there's weirdos that jump at the first sign of a sinking ship. Even if it is a hell of a party on that ship.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

IUG posted:

See and I was talking to my shop when X-Men Legacy was ending and they said they got a few people that dropped the series because it was being canceled. So there's weirdos that jump at the first sign of a sinking ship. Even if it is a hell of a party on that ship.

Jokes on them because that issue that came out at the end of the run(#300 I think) was loving amazing.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Who drops a series when it gets canceled? Especially if you were enjoying it. What the hell kind of logic is involved. :psyduck:

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Lots of people seem to prefer an average or bad book that goes on forever with their favourite team or character, rather than a great shorter run, because, I dunno, people are daft?

It's a shame, because it seems to be the way more and more books are heading, but many people are so stuck in their ways that the only mark of a good book to them is if it runs for 100+issues:iiam:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
A long running average series keeps your characters safe a short lived good one just makes them targets to get grabbed, written completely different and then killed for shock value. Cutting and running is just trying to emotionally un-invest before that happens.

Spurrier's reputation does proceed him but that reputation is "wait until it gets good then jump on", he needs to get better at pulling things together quicker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Yeah, I suppose I can see why people get like that that. I guess I'm more interested in stories than characters though. I'm more likely to follow a writer that I enjoy rather than any one specific team or character. I realise that probably puts me among a minority of comic readers though.

• Locked thread