Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

cursedshitbox posted:

Put the motor in your rrc.

Oh yeah..... :getin:

Also theres an X type too. I know its just a contour.... but I could rejoin the ranks of the beater luxury car club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Holdbrooks is visiting goatse guy??!

Where the gently caress are your snapchats together??? If I don't see some hot Holdbrooks on goatse guy action (not THAT kind of action...okay well maybe) I'm going to be pissed.

Also, when I hover over the link at the bottom of the screen to get back to the main forums list, once I'm not hovering over it, the link disappears so I can't click on it and have to manually back out. Is that just me or did they break it when they were loving with the forums?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cursedshitbox posted:

Put the motor in your rrc.
This would actually make a lot of sense.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

The Midniter posted:

Holdbrooks is visiting goatse guy??!

Also, when I hover over the link at the bottom of the screen to get back to the main forums list, once I'm not hovering over it, the link disappears so I can't click on it and have to manually back out. Is that just me or did they break it when they were loving with the forums?
The weather couldn't have been better for a visit, considering its January in Minnesota but drat near 30 balmy degrees at the moment, with a chance to tickle 40 degrees on Saturday.

In curious if he had winter gear or if he had to make a few purchases in the name of warmth

Also, it's the forums. It happens to me too.

stone soup fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 16, 2015

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
Goons maintain the goonrealm: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3457316&pagenumber=61#post440272702

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

InitialDave posted:

Some people think I'm strange because I don't have a TV or a landline phone. Why bother? I can watch anything I want online, and for years I've just used my mobile anyway.

No, that's not strange at all, it's the smartest thing to do. I hadn't owned a TV in a decade up until I bought my current 50" TV, and that's never been hooked up to cable or used to receive a broadcast transmission since it came out of the box - it's solely used to stream netflix, youtube, and amazon prime, and to play stuff from my HTPC and play DVDs/Blu-rays.

More movies and TV than we will ever have time to watch costs us about $80/mo between my internet bill and my netflix sub (the wife bought Amazon Prime for the free shipping, getting the streaming was essentially a free bonus on top of that).

And there's no point in a landline since I rarely get calls anyways, and those I do should probably go to my cell since I always have it with me. All my friends have cells, so even the ones from different area codes don't have to pay long distance charges to call me.

Anyone who hasn't already cut the cord by now is basically living in dinosaur land because they're afraid of change (i.e. my parents). I'm reminded of just how godawful broadcast/cable TV is every time I visit my parents' house and quickly get annoyed by anything on TV constantly getting interrupted by obnoxious commercials every 10 minutes. You have to be a masochist to deal with that poo poo just to watch a TV show.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's even better for me, because not having a TV means no TV licence, which pays for my Netflix twice over.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

People still pay long distance? About the only reason I have a land line is specifically for the free calls to canada (my pops is working a job in Edmonton, AB). Even after the promo rate disappears, my 2nd from fastest tier internet and land line should still be sub $100/mo. Add netflix (and amazon prime) and we still don't have enough time to watch everything (because kids).

On that note, the Mrs. informed me BBC content is being pulled from netflix (soonish?). Assholes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
:woop: Supreme Court is going to hear Gay Marriage cases!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

HotCanadianChick posted:

Anyone who hasn't already cut the cord by now is basically living in dinosaur land because they're afraid of change (i.e. my parents). I'm reminded of just how godawful broadcast/cable TV is every time I visit my parents' house and quickly get annoyed by anything on TV constantly getting interrupted by obnoxious commercials every 10 minutes. You have to be a masochist to deal with that poo poo just to watch a TV show.

I haven't had a landline in years but I'm half tempted to get one again 'for emergencies', especially once my daughter is old enough to be home alone (which is still years away). Of course, by the time she's ready for that, she's probably at least ready for a dumbphone of her own.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Seriously Netflix changed our lives. My parents have digital cable and DVRs and all that crap along with their internet through Comcast and they pay through their eyeballs for it. I have a reasonable internet speed for ~$50/month. Netflix, Hulu+, and Amazon prime (for that sweet sweet shipping). My wife and I agree if we had more TV to watch we'd never accomplish anything. Watching broadcast TV is painful with commercials. Hulu is acceptable because breaks for commercials are like 15 or 30 seconds. Just hit the mute button to zone out for a moment then the show is back on. Plus I can watch it when I want and on whatever device I want. That Sling TV they announced at CES sounds rather interesting. I hope Apple TV will emerge into something similar.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I like watching my TV shows live.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I like watching my TV shows live.

Donkey shows included?

We sold our tv over a year ago. don't miss the fucker.
we just have base 100/50 internet with no cable/phone.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

I haven't had a landline in years but I'm half tempted to get one again 'for emergencies', especially once my daughter is old enough to be home alone (which is still years away). Of course, by the time she's ready for that, she's probably at least ready for a dumbphone of her own.

It's way cheaper to leave a burner prepaid on a charger (or an extra dump cell phone on your account - most are like $10 a month when added) than to pay for a land line.

Since I work in VoIP I ported our land line number to a cheap VoIP provider, pulled the wiring at the NID outside and hijacked the inside wiring onto the ATA. Nobody knows the difference and it costs me like $2 a month for what appears to everyone else to be a normal land line.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

HotCanadianChick posted:

my parents pay at least $100 a month just for the TV part of their cable service ... and what do they watch? Antenna channels ( NBC / CBS / ABC / etc. ), Food Network, Discovery, and HGTV. That's it.

They do have Netflix but can never remember how to get it working. :sigh:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I like watching my TV shows ads live.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Oh my god. Its taking this fat half balding half pony tail proto goon 10 minutes to get memy scripts. Going crazy.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

We sold our tv over a year ago. don't miss the fucker.
we just have base 100/50 internet with no cable/phone.

This, except we have lovely internet speeds because country life, but haven't had a tv subscription in close to 12 years. When we cut our cable subscription we thought we'd really miss it, turns out neither of us did. We do have 3 "tv's" though, but have computers plugged into 2 via hdmi and a ps3/roku plugged into the other for gaming/netflix.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Motronic posted:

It's way cheaper to leave a burner prepaid on a charger (or an extra dump cell phone on your account - most are like $10 a month when added) than to pay for a land line.

Since I work in VoIP I ported our land line number to a cheap VoIP provider, pulled the wiring at the NID outside and hijacked the inside wiring onto the ATA. Nobody knows the difference and it costs me like $2 a month for what appears to everyone else to be a normal land line.

Not necessarily always... I've had an Ooma hung off my router for a few years and it's been nothing buy awesome. Less than $3/month for taxes and fees and I have full landline functionality -- multiple wireless handsets all over the house, voicemail and caller ID from each of the handsets, etc. For a family, a landline (or landline-esque) setup is still a viable and worthwhile thing... common number to get in touch with us, as people or parents, and it's convenient.

Edit: now that I re-read the second part of your post, it sounds like we have a similar setup, except mine's packaged and you rolled your own.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Edit: now that I re-read the second part of your post, it sounds like we have a similar setup, except mine's packaged and you rolled your own.

Yeah, sounds like it. Rolling your own is a good idea if you care about international rates, because they are usually way cheaper. I'm also not sure you can port your number to Ooma, and you are dependent on them staying in business/not getting any more scammy looking.

Also, you can pick up a good ATA for like $40.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Motronic posted:

Yeah, sounds like it. Rolling your own is a good idea if you care about international rates, because they are usually way cheaper. I'm also not sure you can port your number to Ooma, and you are dependent on them staying in business/not getting any more scammy looking.

Also, you can pick up a good ATA for like $40.

I ported my original number to Ooma without issue years ago. They just use Google Voice, so as long as Google keeps that free, Ooma will be around. Hopefully Google keeps it free, because it's been super-stable.

The only thing I don't get with the cheapest Ooma package is names for Caller ID, it only shows the number, but the phones I use have a phonebook, so it's a one-time thing to add a caller's name.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

The only thing I don't get with the cheapest Ooma package is names for Caller ID, it only shows the number, but the phones I use have a phonebook, so it's a one-time thing to add a caller's name.

The only thing sent from the far end carrier when you receive a call is the number. You have to do an "LNP dip" to get the caller name, and that costs money (not much, but it does cost some).

So....telco mumbo jumbo, but bottom line is that it costs something. I pay like $0.001 per lookup wholesale. .008 is a typical retail price.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

It's even better for me, because not having a TV means no TV licence, which pays for my Netflix twice over.

Same here. Live TV with adverts is for losers.

I'm stuck paying for a landline to get internet and because I have a business phone number and had to keep it tied to a landline to keep it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I cut the cable TV cord 6 years ago and I don't miss it in the slightest. One odd side effect though is that I have no idea what movies are coming out or are playing because I don't have those specific commercials being crammed down my throat and I don't spend a lot of time on "movie news" sites.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I just look at Rhyno's facebook page to see what movies are coming up. We have similar taste in movies, so if he likes it, I am willing to go. I am trying to get my fiance to get on the cable cutting adventure, but she wont have it.

But she lets me have ridiculous cars, so I won't bitch at all. Shes on board with a beater x-type or a convertible XK8/XKR. In fact, shes ok with any jaguar, as long as she can drive it, but still would rather have a convertible. She always can rock the messy pony tail.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I just look at Rhyno's facebook page to see what movies are coming up. We have similar taste in movies, so if he likes it, I am willing to go. I am trying to get my fiance to get on the cable cutting adventure, but she wont have it.

But she lets me have ridiculous cars, so I won't bitch at all. Shes on board with a beater x-type or a convertible XK8/XKR. In fact, shes ok with any jaguar, as long as she can drive it, but still would rather have a convertible. She always can rock the messy pony tail.

We just stream everything via Netflix and Amazon. I don't see as many films as I used in the cinema though, haven't been since John Wick.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I cut the cable TV cord 6 years ago and I don't miss it in the slightest. One odd side effect though is that I have no idea what movies are coming out or are playing because I don't have those specific commercials being crammed down my throat and I don't spend a lot of time on "movie news" sites.

That too. I get calls from friends occasionally saying "WE HAVE TO GO SEE XXXXXXX!!!" I usually don't know what the hell they're talking about, I youtube it and go.. Aaah.. heh.. ok. Although I'm not opposed to going to our local theater these days since they upgraded the theater with a beer/wine counter with appetizers, etc.. you can get a full on meal there now. Also, all seats were upgraded to essentially motorized lazyboy recliners with snack trays and and cup/beer holders. That's been our go to place for movies the past year.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

InitialDave posted:

Some people think I'm strange because I don't have a TV or a landline phone. Why bother? I can watch anything I want online, and for years I've just used my mobile anyway.

I wish I could do that but Virgin doesn't let you have broadband without a landline. It ended up being cheaper to get that and a basic TV package.

For a long while the TV box was left unplugged because live TV is utter shite.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I went to Lowes yesterday to buy a piece of pipe for a cheater-bar, it's like 20 loving dollars for a 3-foot length of galvanized pipe, what the christ.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

freelop posted:

I wish I could do that but Virgin doesn't let you have broadband without a landline. It ended up being cheaper to get that and a basic TV package.

For a long while the TV box was left unplugged because live TV is utter shite.

I have virgin without a landline, in fact tomorrow I'm canceling the tv/tivo part so I'll just have fibre. There are cheaper ways as you say but I'm not starting a new contract while I'm trying to sell a house.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

keykey posted:

That too. I get calls from friends occasionally saying "WE HAVE TO GO SEE XXXXXXX!!!" I usually don't know what the hell they're talking about, I youtube it and go.. Aaah.. heh.. ok. Although I'm not opposed to going to our local theater these days since they upgraded the theater with a beer/wine counter with appetizers, etc.. you can get a full on meal there now. Also, all seats were upgraded to essentially motorized lazyboy recliners with snack trays and and cup/beer holders. That's been our go to place for movies the past year.

I haven't seen a movie in a theater for a couple years... and I primarily stream series from HBOGo or Netflix... is it heretical to say that a lot of the contemporary series have as high a production value as film, but with the extreme length (in relation to a 2 hour movie), they actually do a better job of in-depth storytelling?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

I have virgin without a landline, in fact tomorrow I'm canceling the tv/tivo part so I'll just have fibre. There are cheaper ways as you say but I'm not starting a new contract while I'm trying to sell a house.
Yep, mine is Virgin too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ha! The bearded wonder up their caved in and shaved today.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

I went to Lowes yesterday to buy a piece of pipe for a cheater-bar, it's like 20 loving dollars for a 3-foot length of galvanized pipe, what the christ.

Why not use black pipe? It's cheaper (not by much).

Also, scrapyard. I got 10 5ft long 1.5" pipes for $45.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

the spyder posted:

Why not use black pipe? It's cheaper (not by much).

Also, scrapyard. I got 10 5ft long 1.5" pipes for $45.

I only saw galvanized. There's no scrapyard in town but my neighbor just finished redoing all their plumbing, I'll ask if he has any scraps left.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Daughter getting quoted ~550 for distributor for 2002 Honda accord. 160K miles
This is in ski town maybe only place in town (winter park).
This way out of line, and is a distributor the kind of thing that fails on that car?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

some_admin posted:

This way out of line, and is a distributor the kind of thing that fails on that car?

My brother has a 1998 Accord and I remember his distributor was stupidly expensive too.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

I only saw galvanized. There's no scrapyard in town but my neighbor just finished redoing all their plumbing, I'll ask if he has any scraps left.

I found a metal shop nearby and asked to rummage through their scrap bin. $5 got me two nice chunks of pipe... Not as cheap as I'd have liked, but not bad.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

keykey posted:

We have several Cinetopias around here. Plush recliners and couches, ottomans to prop your feet on, a good restaurant that delivers your meal to your theater seat, extensive wine and beer menu, and you can even reserve private showings for you and your friends to have a whole theater to yourselves. It'a great.

meatpimp posted:

I haven't seen a movie in a theater for a couple years... and I primarily stream series from HBOGo or Netflix... is it heretical to say that a lot of the contemporary series have as high a production value as film, but with the extreme length (in relation to a 2 hour movie), they actually do a better job of in-depth storytelling?

No, not at all; a bunch of Hollywood filmmakers and actors are going in big for TV (such as David Fincher and Kevin Spacey going all in on House of Cards, partially because they enjoy the freedom the longer format gives them to build up the story and characters).

some_admin posted:

I'm vaguely surprised a car made this millennium is still using a distributor instead of a coil-on-plug setup. Do Honda engines that new actually have distributors on them? I owned a 2001 Civic for a couple years but I never had to mess with the ignition bits so I never really paid attention and don't really 100% remember what the underhood poo poo looked like, but I seem to recall it not having a dizzy and having coil packs on the plugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud
If my memory is correct, that was the last year of a generation of the Accord that spanned the 90s and 00's. I think it ran 98-02. If the distributor is anything like any of the 90's civics I owned, it need info be replaced is not a huge surprise.

• Locked thread