Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mr E posted:

Some said I was wrong to tell her to gently caress off, but I feel I haven't missed a thing by doing so.

My first run of Origins had me telling Morrigan to gently caress off because I was tired of losing her approval every time I chose not to kick a puppy.

Why couldn't she be more like Zevran? He didn't have much of a conscience either but he didn't really care most of the time if you did a good deed.

My second run had me maxing her Approval before anyone else though because she's really easy to make happy. Just feed her ego and then leave her behind when you do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Morrigan was just Bioware trolling video game dudes who assumed that the chick with giant jugs would want to sleep with them if they were "nice".

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

waah posted:

Morrigan was just Bioware trolling video game dudes who assumed that the chick with giant jugs would want to sleep with them if they were "nice".

except she did sleep with you if you were nice to her

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

The .ogg variables are "LOOPSTART=" and "LOOPLENGTH=" apparently.

Yeah. And it looks like the old .POS files were almost the exact same format:
- 4 hex bytes each, little endian, messured in Audio Samples
- First 4 bytes are Start, Last 4 bytes are End (as opposed to Length)

Should be very easy to convert assuming I could find a tool to batch insert metadata into OGG files.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

waah posted:

Morrigan is the tsundere character. Bioware makes anime.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

waah posted:

Her entire subplot is actually going "What is love beep boop I was never loved please love me" except with snide or snarky comments all over the place.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Yeah, it's definitely very different. Aside from you getting experience with your equipment there's not a lot to link it with previous installments in the series, though there's a (very tenuous) plot link to the very first Xanadu game.

It's a good game. The plot is utterly forgettable--in the sense that I've almost completely forgotten it--but it kind of plays like a Diablo-like in its control scheme I guess? At least that's the sense I got. Mouse control was way better than using a controller too I felt. It's got a lot of interesting environments, a fair number of dungeon puzzles (some of them are just block puzzles but still) and a bunch of different spells and active/passive skills you can learn and use. And gorgeous music. It's some of the best music out of Falcom ever IMO. Like I would rather listen to Xanadu Next's soundtrack than Ys Origin or Oath in Felghana. Though that's a personal preference I suspect a lot of people won't share.

Though I doubt a domestic release would see the same, the original boxed release I have was a great deal--it came with not just the game, but a nicely illustrated manual and monster bestiary, a music CD, and best of all, Project EGG (Japan's equivalent of GOG) Windows ports of PC Engine Xanadu Legend of the Wind 1 and 2.

Wow thanks for the reply. What are most Xanadu games like?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

waah posted:

haha, no

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

The .ogg variables are "LOOPSTART=" and "LOOPLENGTH=" apparently.

Okay yeah it was a pretty easy conversion. I converted both of the old Deuce music remixes into the new Steam release format to replace the included 'Complete' version soundtrack.

If you want it I can send it over to you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

waah posted:

Are you thinking of another character? One who didn't fall in love with you because you complimented her and gave her a shiny thing?

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

ImpAtom posted:

Are you thinking of another character? One who didn't fall in love with you because you complimented her and gave her a shiny thing?

The gift system really undercut whatever pretense there was. Especially with Morrigan. Zevran was vain and materialistic enough that you could buy that giving him nice poo poo would make him appreciate you a bit more (though not love you). Morrigan would've ben awesome if she could've always been the one who flat out didn't buy into any of that poo poo and was just cold and snarky.

gifts should have been an option for Dog, Zevran, and probably Alistair who is a giant dummy so who cares. And maybe flowers for Leiliana because she's a 'romantic'

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

I think they meant nice as in goody two shoes, not nice to the character. It's true that the gift system is weird when you think of it, which might be why it's not in Inquisition (or 2, I think?). Kind of a shame since I loved the custom gag gifts.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hey now, everyone likes something, no matter how weird they are. I never really "got" Sten my first time around for example because, with the others, it was very intuitive and obvious what to say to make them like you. With Sten though he was so blunt and austere that I never knew what was right and I ended up making him mad a lot of the time.

He turned out to be the most interesting party member for me second time around though when I gave him a chance.

I think things like having Sten like cookies and Morrigan like shiny jewelry is just a "quirk" BW gave them. You know "don't judge a book by its cover" kinda deal. Everyone else likes pretty much what you'd expect them to like except those two.

Honestly, say what you want about DA2, but I think it handled the whole thing better. Friendship/Rivalry was better than Approve/Disapprove.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Okay yeah it was a pretty easy conversion. I converted both of the old Deuce music remixes into the new Steam release format to replace the included 'Complete' version soundtrack.

I tried dropping a Turbo CD track into my YS1 music folder with no loopstart or looplength data and it simply played the whole song then when it got to the end started it over, which is how the Turbo Grafx CD played the CD tracks. If someone wants them to loop differently then that could be done but if all you want is the Turbo CD experience it seems like just dropping the files in is enough. Now I only tested the first over world theme song, but I sat and listened to it looping for about 10 minutes and it just played all the way through then started over.

However when trying this with Ys 3 the tracks would only play once, then stop. So for that game it seems like loopstart and looplength may be required. But at least for Ys1 you can just drop in any ogg file and it'll play over and over again from start to finish from what I can tell.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

NikkolasKing posted:

Hey now, everyone likes something, no matter how weird they are. I never really "got" Sten my first time around for example because, with the others, it was very intuitive and obvious what to say to make them like you. With Sten though he was so blunt and austere that I never knew what was right and I ended up making him mad a lot of the time.

He turned out to be the most interesting party member for me second time around though when I gave him a chance.

I think things like having Sten like cookies and Morrigan like shiny jewelry is just a "quirk" BW gave them. You know "don't judge a book by its cover" kinda deal. Everyone else likes pretty much what you'd expect them to like except those two.

Honestly, say what you want about DA2, but I think it handled the whole thing better. Friendship/Rivalry was better than Approve/Disapprove.

The gifts might have been okay if they were for small boosts, not boosts comparable to the biggest swings you got from interactions.

It was too easy to make everyone like you.

Sten does rule

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bobo the Red posted:

The gift system really undercut whatever pretense there was.
Well the core of the problem was that it really represented more their morale or general impression of you, but then they also made the mistake of tying romance to it rather than making it a hidden, separate thing. It's like hey, yeah, you gave me this cool thing you knew I'd like, I feel a little more comfortable fighting alongside someone who thinks of what I want sometimes.

Just doing Morrigan's loyalty mission gives so many goddamn morale points that it's hard to keep her from awkwardly trying to dry hump your leg because of how the two are tied together. It's just what happens when you combine every aspect of a character's opinion of you into one value. Does Inquisition track more than one or what? Is it hidden? You wanna make a more character-oriented experience, I'd track, what, morale, a nebulous friendship value, the player's general ideology, and then lock certain conversations behind thresholds and make the only one visible to the player the one that has an effect on how they perform in battle. It's not even that complex.

I'd probably alienate a bunch of players who need this poo poo quantified, though.

NikkolasKing posted:

Maybe it's just the nomenclature, but even Friendship/Rivalry is kinda :psyduck: because the two are hardly mutually exclusive.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 17, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

evilskillit posted:

I tried dropping a Turbo CD track into my YS1 music folder with no loopstart or looplength data and it simply played the whole song then when it got to the end started it over, which is how the Turbo Grafx CD played the CD tracks. If someone wants them to loop differently then that could be done but if all you want is the Turbo CD experience it seems like just dropping the files in is enough. Now I only tested the first over world theme song, but I sat and listened to it looping for about 10 minutes and it just played all the way through then started over.

However when trying this with Ys 3 the tracks would only play once, then stop. So for that game it seems like loopstart and looplength may be required. But at least for Ys1 you can just drop in any ogg file and it'll play over and over again from start to finish from what I can tell.
If you do it this way there is a really obvious/annoying pause when the song ends, with some tracks (because they are short and meant to be looped) being basically unlistenable. I've found "First Step Towards War" which plays when you enter the field is a decent indicator because it is a fairly short track.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Absolutely, I've been looking for such a thing ever since the Steam release came out. Thanks a lot.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Speaking of Morrigan, one of the first mods was a redesign of her face to look more like the "concept art." I put that in quotes because it doesn't look like the concept art, someone just softened her features to make her look more like an anime doll.

If you want comedy gold then frequent any Western developer's forum when they announce female characters. Unless their face is perfectly round with bulging eyes then it's ugly and mannish. When Blizzard posted the Draenei redesigns as an April Fools joke there was a glut of great gamer.txt posts about how they were ruining the only character model with the ideal female design. Then Blizzard trolled them all by revealing they were actually doing it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Stelas posted:

Solas is basically Spock The Grey but he's not quite so obvious in the things he approves of, which is pretty nice.
Ask him questions and be nice to spirits and he'll approve.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I seem to remember Morrigan being one of the more complicated characters to romance. Like, you had to have her disposition between 50-70 or something. It was always hard to tell whether the "romance" was all just a big joke to her, so I got the impression that if she liked you too much she didn't want to be "mean" by messing with you that way.

Or maybe I'm just thinking of getting her to teach you her useless shapeshifter specialization.

Either way, I know there was a bug using gifts that let you be in a relationship with both her and Leliana at the same time. Like, you'd romance Morrigan, then Leliana and tell her Morrigan didn't mean anything, then Morrigan would confront you and be all "what the poo poo?", and you give her a gold necklace and she forgets the whole thing. So yeah, I guess she was pretty easy to manipulate.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Morrigan basically prefers sex friend instead of the stuff that leads to and results in after sex. Her dialog tree is basically avoiding anything that a home-schooled logic person that sees how romance is, which is "useless."

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

Nate RFB posted:

If you do it this way there is a really obvious/annoying pause when the song ends, with some tracks (because they are short and meant to be looped) being basically unlistenable. I've found "First Step Towards War" which plays when you enter the field is a decent indicator because it is a fairly short track.

I'm pretty sure the on the CD audio tracks the TurboGrafx CD system was only capable of playing them from beginning to end with a small pause. I don't think it had any way to loop them internally. My TurboDuo stopped working a long time ago so it's been a while since I've played one on the TurboCD in person but I recall that being how it worked. There were some tracks that looped like the Minea town music but they were PCM tracks not CD Audio. Assuming this youtube video is representative of what it was like to play it on the original system, or maybe it is video from an original system, then this is actually how it works. Watch from the time linked to around the 11 minute mark and you'll notice the music distinctly stop for a moment then start over. That's how the Turbo CD actually worked. If someone can put in some effort to loop these tracks a bit better than that's great, but I'm ok with it just restarting because that's how it was when I played it with these tracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFPfd2dIkjc&t=496s

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Yes there is a difference in being nice and nice to her. I am pretty sure her approval of you went down the more you tried to save puppies and flowers.

And yes, you could give her gifts and negate all that.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Ys II is loving incredible. Probably my favorite entry of the series so far.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
How does Training work in Arcanum? I see NPCs that can train me in certain skills, but say I'm not qualified. I found the skills in the character editor and I can level them up since I meet the stat requirement. Is there something I'm missing?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

RickDaedalus posted:

How does Training work in Arcanum? I see NPCs that can train me in certain skills, but say I'm not qualified. I found the skills in the character editor and I can level them up since I meet the stat requirement. Is there something I'm missing?

There are levels to the trainers, a la apprentice/regular/master. I think 5 levels? If you don't meet the requirements for that trainer they won't do anything for you I believe. Then there are levels per level, so say you have 3 throwing and talk to the appropriate trainer just buying one level from him won't increase you to four so you've gotta train up all the way and honestly it's all a huge pain in the rear end.

I'm pretty sure I maxed the abilities I wanted without worrying about trainers too much as it was. Just leveling normally and intelligently helped max my poo poo.

and this reminds me I should play through this game again, it's been long enough. Just that starting town. What is with that era of rpg's with terrible starting areas?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

RickDaedalus posted:

Just like everything else in Arcanum, it works in a weird, obtuse way. Training basically gives you special buffs related to the discipline that you trained (the most noticeable is the first tier of training for all the weapon skills, which reduces the AP cost of attacking with that weapon type by 1 -- it's huge for weapons that cost 3). NPC training doesn't actually increase skill level that you see on your character sheet, but requires it to be at a certain rank. There are three tiers of training and, if memory serves, the requirements are 1-2-4 points, which are actually referred to in-game as 4-8-16 ranks because Troika.

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jan 17, 2015

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Heavy neutrino posted:

There are three tiers of training and, if memory serves, the requirements are 1-2-4 points, which are actually referred to in-game as 4-8-16 ranks because Troika.

It's because you can get smaller boosts to your skills than the four points from putting a stat point there, from race or background choices for example. So it's possible to have a 6 ranks in a skill, say.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

al-azad posted:

Speaking of Morrigan, one of the first mods was a redesign of her face to look more like the "concept art." I put that in quotes because it doesn't look like the concept art, someone just softened her features to make her look more like an anime doll.

That's a bad mod, but you just reminded me of how cool the concept art for Origins was and how bland the actual in-game stuff was.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

evilskillit posted:

I'm pretty sure the on the CD audio tracks the TurboGrafx CD system was only capable of playing them from beginning to end with a small pause. I don't think it had any way to loop them internally. My TurboDuo stopped working a long time ago so it's been a while since I've played one on the TurboCD in person but I recall that being how it worked. There were some tracks that looped like the Minea town music but they were PCM tracks not CD Audio. Assuming this youtube video is representative of what it was like to play it on the original system, or maybe it is video from an original system, then this is actually how it works. Watch from the time linked to around the 11 minute mark and you'll notice the music distinctly stop for a moment then start over. That's how the Turbo CD actually worked. If someone can put in some effort to loop these tracks a bit better than that's great, but I'm ok with it just restarting because that's how it was when I played it with these tracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFPfd2dIkjc&t=496s
I was a little confused by this but checking out my disc in Magic Engine confirms that yes they do "loop" in that fashion in the original release. I was thinking of the patch was made for the original PC release of Ys I&II Complete which was actually a combination of several sources, including the redbook audio and perfect collection (for example, it used this version of 'Feena'), and if you took those files and simply converted them into .ogg it wouldn't work because they expect loop commands.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

Absolutely, I've been looking for such a thing ever since the Steam release came out. Thanks a lot.

Do you have somewhere I can upload it? It's pretty big, about 100MB, and I don't have any online storage at the moment. Not sure if there are any decent free upload sites these days.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

filedropper seems to work well enough:

http://www.filedropper.com/free-file-hosting.php

or mediafire but you need to make a (free) account

https://www.mediafire.com/

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 17, 2015

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I put it on Filedropper: http://www.filedropper.com/yscompetemusic

Let me know if it works or doesn't work for you. I didn't test all of the songs in-game but I tested a few of them to make sure the looping was working.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7RPY-oiDAQ

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
that isn't devil's lab

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I put it on Filedropper: http://www.filedropper.com/yscompetemusic

Let me know if it works or doesn't work for you. I didn't test all of the songs in-game but I tested a few of them to make sure the looping was working.
Seems pretty slick to me. I only got a chance to check a few obviously right off the bat and would have to I guess replay the game to make sure. Anyway the only one of the few I checked that seemed a little off is the shop music 'o_05ys2' which is probably because it's such a short song. It also might have always been like that, it's been a while since I played pre-Steam Complete. Really cool all around, thanks.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

Seems pretty slick to me. I only got a chance to check a few obviously right off the bat and would have to I guess replay the game to make sure. Anyway the only one of the few I checked that seemed a little off is the shop music 'o_05ys2' which is probably because it's such a short song. It also might have always been like that, it's been a while since I played pre-Steam Complete. Really cool all around, thanks.

Okay yeah something screwed up somewhere, the util I was using to insert metadata appears to have cut off part of the start of some of the songs?? I'll take another look at it and fix it up.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Alright, take 2: http://www.filedropper.com/yscompletemusic2

There appears to be a bug in the version of oggz-comment I was using so I rolled back to an earlier one. o_05ys2.ogg seems to be correct as did the other ones I checked. Let me know if it all lines up now.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Beat Ys II. Awesome game. Insanely better than Ys I. Probably my favorite of the series so far.

I think I'll also give Oath in Felghana another shot. I think I was too harsh on it because I wasn't sure how to play the games when I dived in.

EDIT - Holy gently caress this game is easy as poo poo!!!

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Beat Ys II. Awesome game. Insanely better than Ys I. Probably my favorite of the series so far.

I think I'll also give Oath in Felghana another shot. I think I was too harsh on it because I wasn't sure how to play the games when I dived in.

EDIT - Holy gently caress this game is easy as poo poo!!!

Ys 1 and 2 are pretty obtuse and hard in their own way. Felghana is definitely easier than Origins. I haven't played the PC version of Ys VI but I recall the PS2 version being about the same as Felghana in difficulty. You might want to jack up the difficulty :)