Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Woolie Wool posted:

Yeah, I probably will. I'll probably finish the main quest and call it quits for this character at level 50, since beyond that what's left of the game's challenge dissipates like a scent on the wind.

Also I'm practically tearing my hair out trying to figure out what's wrong with OBGE/ENB that makes Morroblivion run at 10 FPS with everything covered in giant shadows. I can't even find my way around Seyda Neen.

Morrobilivion is horribly optimized (I got about half my normal oblivion framerate when I played it.) Also, do you have HDR enabled, because OBGE fucks up if it isn't.

Edit: Also, try High Level Enemies combined with Revenge of the Enemies. That keeps the challenge going, sometimes almost a little too much. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Ha Ha you fools, here's how I, a pro modder, changes my load order: 8opens up the skryim launcher and clicks on 'load order' button*9

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Ha Ha you fools, here's how I, a pro modder, changes my load order: 8opens up the skryim launcher and clicks on 'load order' button*9

Same.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
my motto is: if it works, don't be an autist

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Agents are GO! posted:

Morrobilivion is horribly optimized (I got about half my normal oblivion framerate when I played it.) Also, do you have HDR enabled, because OBGE fucks up if it isn't.

Edit: Also, try High Level Enemies combined with Revenge of the Enemies. That keeps the challenge going, sometimes almost a little too much. :)

Confirmed that HDR is on. It's dark though, it's like twilight at 11 AM. Disabling ENB advanced shadows kills the murky shadows covering everything but not the darkness. I run Skyrim with a very strong ENB and a shitload of high-res texture packs, Wolfenstein The New Order runs great, but I can't squeeze a decent framerate out of either Morroblivion or MGSO.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Chief Savage Man posted:

I think some wires might have gotten crossed here. I'm trying to decide who I want to save these for.

Selling, or if you have the skills/right perk, reverse-pickpocketing. :ninja:

OH HOW TERRIBLE, THAT BARD SEEMS TO HAVE SUFFERED A FATAL HEART ATTACK.

It'd be amusing if you could falsely label potions and scrolls, then give them to people you dislike. Or have curse enchantments. Legendary Helm of Attract Bears, anyone? Or the ever-popular Staff of Vegas Lightning - shoots lightning bolts per usual, except randomly (1-in-6) it'll cast gently caress Your Kaiju-level lightning bolt on the wielder. "Looks like he crapped out."

Hmm, the Cursed Ring of Hircine *does* exist, so non-removable gear is possible...

(The lightning thing, I think I have already - Climates of Tamriel and Supreme Storms leads to me getting tagged by lightning every so often - I think NPCs get nailed as well, but can't be certain.)

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Woolie Wool posted:

Confirmed that HDR is on. It's dark though, it's like twilight at 11 AM. Disabling ENB advanced shadows kills the murky shadows covering everything but not the darkness. I run Skyrim with a very strong ENB and a shitload of high-res texture packs, Wolfenstein The New Order runs great, but I can't squeeze a decent framerate out of either Morroblivion or MGSO.

That's because both Morrowind and Oblivion's engines are poo poo for modern hardware. Try OpenMW, although I don't know if it's feature-complete yet.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Is there an easier way to try ENBs? I've installed it before a long time ago but have since then stuck with RCRN. I would like to try CoT and Seasons of Skyrim but RCRN has .esp files attached to it and my save. I've been trying to actually finish the main story of skyrim cause I realized my save was started two years ago and has 60 hours of played time which was all doing random side quest. I mostly just don't want to start over but I'd like to see how nice skyrim can look. Is there a way to use MO to isolate ENB profiles and dlls while still using them? I really hate dumping things into the skyrim main folder, with the exception of skse.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Is there a test module for Skyrim similar to one implemented for Oblivion (I think for one of the big overhaul mods) that I can COC into to make sure no monster or item will crash my game?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Woolie Wool posted:

Well a lot of the rebuild was because my giant-rear end loving nVidia GeForce 970 actually shoved the SATA cable against the data port of my hard drive and broke the drive's data port when I tried to put it in. Fortunately I just happened to have a blank hard drive I had bought a year ago as part of an upgrade to 64-bit that I kept putting off (I was originally going to install Windows 7 on the new HD and keep the old HD in its place). I managed to jury-rig a connection using the broken off piece and get some of my data onto another computer.

Some being around 10%. :smith:

Yeah I was not in the mood to fiddle around with an unfamiliar and complicated mod manager at the time. I just wanted to play some Skyrim.

NMM with Skyrim still beats the poo poo out of NMM with Oblivion though.

How can you afford a 970 and not be installing windows on a SSD?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Bouchacha posted:

Is there a test module for Skyrim similar to one implemented for Oblivion (I think for one of the big overhaul mods) that I can COC into to make sure no monster or item will crash my game?

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Test_Cells or coc qasmoke

Use google.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 16, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

How can you afford a 970 and not be installing windows on a SSD?

Because I don't want an SSD because they're lower capacity than hard drives. If 2TB SSDs become cheap, then I might get one. Right now, forget it.

Also I got the 970 because my employer gave out their largest Christmas bonuses ever. I don't normally have that kind of money.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 16, 2015

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I'm having some major ENBoost issues. If the ENB files are present in my skyrim directory, then Skyrim will crash without fail on every transition loading screen (but not when loading a save). (Edit: Actually, the problem seems to specifically be transitions to the Skyrim overworld.) I am 100% sure this is ENB because if I delete all the ENB files, then there's no crash when I do the same things.

I'm using the wrapper version as per STEP's instructions: http://wiki.step-project.com/ENBoost

I've tried a number of different settings from the ones outlined there, and I've tried the default enblocal.ini that comes with the ENB download. Doesn't matter, crashes.

The thing is, the last time I did this Skyrim modding dance I had no trouble with ENBoost. Since then I've reformatted and reinstalled Windows, so this is a completely fresh install I am working with on the same hardware. So, what changed? Is it because there's a new version of ENB that doesn't work for me? Should I use the injector version? (Edit: Injector does nothing.)

eta: It's because the latest version of ENB doesn't work for me apparently. Thanks for reading my post!

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 16, 2015

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Woolie Wool posted:

Because I don't want an SSD because they're lower capacity than hard drives. If 2TB SSDs become cheap, then I might get one. Right now, forget it.

Also I got the 970 because my employer gave out their largest Christmas bonuses ever. I don't normally have that kind of money.

What? Who needs 2TB of fast-access data at all times? That's far more AAA games than you can reasonably play in a year.

Contribution:
Getting the hang of screenarchery. Bleak ENB and Grim and Somber ENBs are the poo poo.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Going from an hdd to an SSD and HDD is probably the best thing you can do for a computer. 256gb is what you need, enough room for Windows and certain games (I have Skyrim, Arma 3, and Paradox games on it). They are definitely not meant to replace all of your hdd at this point and it'd be pointless for most games to be installed on it. Do yourself a favor if you get another few hundred bucks to piss away.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah just get a 160+ GB SSD for games you're playing right now, use SteamMover or something similar to keep games on a platter drive.

Also nice titplate, Duck and burger

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Woolie Wool posted:

What you do is you put your OS and your 3 favorite games on the SSD and everything else on a HDD.

If/when you get bored of those games you move them to the HDD and install something else on the SSD.

:eng101:

^^^^ You don't even need steam mover anymore, steam is pretty smart about handling multiple drives now. Just close steam, cut & paste, and open steam back up. You'll have to tell it to "install", but then it'll recognize the files and be done.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Duck and burger posted:

Bleak ENB and Grim and Somber ENBs are poo poo.

nice titty armor

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Agents are GO! posted:

I am almost certain thats a function included in unmodded skyrim default UI. On PS3 it was the square button, I'd be shocked if it wasn't available in the PC version.
I worded the question poorly. There's a button for "take all" once I open it. I want a button for "take all" when I'm looking at it, rather than having to open it first.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Are there any mods that add more variety to the dungeon trash mobs (Draugr, Falmer, Skeletons)? I really like the bandit variants in OBIS and am wishing all the anonymous mobs could be that way.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Seashell Salesman posted:

Are there any mods that add more variety to the dungeon trash mobs (Draugr, Falmer, Skeletons)? I really like the bandit variants in OBIS and am wishing all the anonymous mobs could be that way.

Automatic Variants is completely cosmetic, but randomly assigns new appearances to things: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/21377/

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

GunnerJ posted:

Automatic Variants is completely cosmetic, but randomly assigns new appearances to things: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/21377/

Yeah I should use this at the very least to get more diversity in appearance, but what I want most of all is more diversity in what they do. Clearing dungeons with the same two enemies over and over is kind of tiresome.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I worded the question poorly. There's a button for "take all" once I open it. I want a button for "take all" when I'm looking at it, rather than having to open it first.

There's auto-looter mods, but as I don't use them, I don't know if you can just target what you aim at or if it's Fus Roh Hoover. (The Loot Magnet spell is the latter, but only on corpses.)

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Hey guys, fairly basic question here. I started a new run a couple weeks ago to try out PerMa and see what it was about, and while I kinda like it, I'm starting to feel significantly overpowered. What are some recommended mods to add difficulty to the game that don't conflict (or have patches, I suppose) with PerMa and OBIS? As it stands right now, the only thing I can fight that gives me pause and need to actually strategize is an OBIS Bandit swarm, so I figure I need to up the difficulty level of everything else to compensate. I feel like I should add one of the combat mods, but the three big players all seem so drat similar I have no idea which one I should actually use.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Yeah I should use this at the very least to get more diversity in appearance, but what I want most of all is more diversity in what they do. Clearing dungeons with the same two enemies over and over is kind of tiresome.

Yeah I figured you'd wanted something more "functional" in that way OBIS is, but I wasn't sure what else there is like that. While it doesn't create different varieties of monsters, Revenge of the Enemies adds new abilities and stuff: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/40491/

eta: How is OBIS, by the way? Last I heard, it was wildly inconsistent in difficulty, with some feature creep.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It kind of still is both of those things, and is basically not immersive or lore-friendly at all.

It does make fighting bandits a lot more entertaining though, because they have really diverse groups with a lot of variable abilities. It's a pretty messy mod, but I like what it does overall.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

GunnerJ posted:

Yeah I figured you'd wanted something more "functional" in that way OBIS is, but I wasn't sure what else there is like that. While it doesn't create different varieties of monsters, Revenge of the Enemies adds new abilities and stuff: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/40491/

eta: How is OBIS, by the way? Last I heard, it was wildly inconsistent in difficulty, with some feature creep.

I really like it so far but I just started a new game and have only run into a couple of groups of bandits. I'm not sure what all the combos of mods are doing but the first group I ran into had a bandit mage, a trained bandit dog, and a 'reaver' bandit in bonemould armor with a crossbow. The next one had a 'ghost knight' invisible bandit in plate armor, which was pretty badass.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Yeah, when I first ran OBIS, I ended up (barely) defeating a group that included a bonemold-armor dude, at level 7. :black101:

Then I stooged about north of Whiterun and discovered that higher-level Bounty Bandits were... somewhat overpowered. :cry:

It's amusing to go wandering around and find a bunch of OBIS dudes murdering vanilla bandits that spawned, I guess because they don't have a crew. "Third Street, bitches Fingers of the Mountain represent!"

It also makes stealthy creeping a little more exciting - you don't know if it's an enemy unless they spot you or you get close enough to ID via HUD. Or, you can just be safe and arrow them from a distance... sorry, random partiers and wandering bard, up on the north coast!

Adding Immersive Patrols as well can make for some pretty gnarly fights that are best viewed from a distance, although most of those end up being Imperial and/or Thalmor vs. Stormcloak.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

I was level 1 when I fought these guys and it was pretty manageable with a fire attronach summon and a crummy bow. Maybe they have toned it down?

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I used OBIS for a while but I uninstalled it after getting tired of how ridiculous the damage from those poison using enemies and their skeevers was.

I've been looking at high level enemies but some of the comments make it sound broken in other ways, anyone have any experience with it?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Yeah just get a 160+ GB SSD for games you're playing right now, use SteamMover or something similar to keep games on a platter drive.

Also nice titplate, Duck and burger

Once you start binging on FreeSpace mods, you can easily devote 200+ gigs to FreeSpace 2 alone, so...yeah HDD is good enough for me. Really I don't have enough of a problem with load times to justify the purchase. I needed a new video card, a 64-bit OS, and more RAM but I don't really see a pressing need for a faster drive at a massive cost in capacity per dollar.

Davoren posted:

I used OBIS for a while but I uninstalled it after getting tired of how ridiculous the damage from those poison using enemies and their skeevers was.

I've been looking at high level enemies but some of the comments make it sound broken in other ways, anyone have any experience with it?

I'm at level 31 in Skyrim with OBIS and High Level Enemies and playing on Adept, only boss-level enemies pose a challenge. Granted, I'm running around with an ebony sword, armor equivalent to glass, all improved to Exquisite/Legendary standards and loaded with enchantments...

And I finally got Morroblivion to behave and not crash! :woop:

Is it normal that, after some detours and dungeon-diving, I had 10,000 gold after I unloaded all my poo poo at Balmora? It's like every single chest was stuffed with potions and scrolls worth a fortune. And I ended up grabbing a Glass Jinkblade, a silver sword, and part of a set of ebony armor (I couldn't carry the cuirass, and I'm dumping my OblivionXP skill points into Light Armor anyway) from some guy on the top of a fortress I crept up on from behind.

E: Morrowind is still hideously ugly even in the Oblivion engine, but I guess I should have expected that.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 17, 2015

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

I'm at level 31 in Skyrim with OBIS and High Level Enemies and playing on Adept, only boss-level enemies pose a challenge. Granted, I'm running around with an ebony sword, armor equivalent to glass, all improved to Exquisite/Legendary standards and loaded with enchantments...

So would you say High Level Enemies is what I'm looking for to add variety in the general dungeon trash mobs?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

You want Immersive Creatures for that. It adds a few extra Draugr types like Rag Draugr (mages).

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

You want Immersive Creatures for that. It adds a few extra Draugr types like Rag Draugr (mages).

Are you using the HLE for SIC mod, or separately?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Use High Level Enemies (SIC) and Skyrim Immersive Creatures AND Revenge of the Enemies for ultimate things to kill.

I think the "Purist" setting is just fine for adding variety. Plus Automatic Variants and oh god so many things to kill.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Are you using the HLE for SIC mod, or separately?

I use HLE and SIC with the patch so it's all together.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

I use HLE and SIC with the patch so it's all together.

Does this patch come in the regular SIC download? I don't see it on the files page. There is some special version of SIC with HLE integrated on the SIC google sites page though.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

isn't high level enemies included in Immersive creatures?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I remembered incorrectly, it's the HLE for SIC mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Is there a consensus on the best needs mod right now? It seems like the Realistic Needs mod is not in active development and the creator is recommending iNeed. Is something that introduces camping equipment (Frostfall?) plus iNeed the best balance at the moment?

• Locked thread