Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Are people still getting arrested for growing and selling? I imagine that they aren't going to go after people selling eighths (if they ever did), but if the black market is really biting into the legal, tax-generating business, they might end up doing large scale investigations and busts of black market growers.

I wonder what the punishment would be, though. Now that it is a matter of revenue rather than "drugs", will illicit growers just end up getting the same punishment as any other business that is cheating on taxes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

glowing-fish posted:

I wonder what the punishment would be, though. Now that it is a matter of revenue rather than "drugs", will illicit growers just end up getting the same punishment as any other business that is cheating on taxes?

It looks like they can confiscate and destroy the product at the very least.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=314-55-210

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

glowing-fish posted:

Are people still getting arrested for growing and selling? I imagine that they aren't going to go after people selling eighths (if they ever did), but if the black market is really biting into the legal, tax-generating business, they might end up doing large scale investigations and busts of black market growers.

I know Seattle has said that they want all the delivery services (that don't even really pretend to operate legally) to shut down, and if they don't they'll start confiscating and arresting. They also shut down some sizable "medical" grow operation within the past few months.

I always just assumed that anything not explicitly covered by I-502 would be subject to the same penalties as before, but maybe that's a bad assumption.

Edit: Here's an article about the delivery stuff: http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2025211264_potdeliveryxml.html. Doesn't really mention specific punishment.

tk fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 17, 2015

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

glowing-fish posted:

The DEA can bust them for growing regardless of their state status, but if they pay their federal taxes the IRS will probably leave them alone. As long as they don't try and deduct their expenses for growing.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

sullat posted:

The DEA can bust them for growing regardless of their state status, but if they pay their federal taxes the IRS will probably leave them alone. As long as they don't try and deduct their expenses for growing.

I'm pretty sure that you can still legally deduct money spent on illegal actions incurred in the course of business. And from what I understand the IRS doesn't bother reporting people to other government agencies unless there's actual tax fraud going on somewhere, even for taxes filed on illegal operations.

Edit: Yep, looks like the relevant case was Commissioner v. Tellier. Illegal income is still taxable income by James v. United States, and by the former mentioned case, you are allowed to deduct money spent on criminal actions so long as it meets the normal requirements for deductions; ordinary and necessary expenses paid or incurred during the taxable year in carrying on a trade or business.

Edit2: Oh wait, expenses from growing or manufacturing controlled substances are specifically excluded by recent tax code changes, which is probably what you meant there.

Idran fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 17, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Why is weed delivery illegal?

Like is it something about the way they operate, or is it just 'no delivery, ever, at all'?

Because if there's a legit way to do it, that's not a bad business idea.

Like, imagine if you could combine food and booze into the service as well.

Imagine if you could have your weed and a cold six pack, or bottle of liquor or wine delivered to your door with an order from (insert nicer restaurant) instead of lovely delivered pizza.

Here in Portland we have the food only version of this called Delivered Dish.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
It's illegal because the law as drafted includes very specific restrictions on where the public can purchase weed and they did not make an exception for stoops.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things
The direct reason is that they are operating without licenses (and were operating before licenses were even being issued). Even if we made a delivery accessible license, I doubt current services would bother to get one.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Idran posted:

Edit2: Oh wait, expenses from growing or manufacturing controlled substances are specifically excluded by recent tax code changes, which is probably what you meant there.

Yeah, the statute is from the 80s, drug expenses are specifically non-deductible. So your international jewel thief can deduct the cost of his burglary tools, travel to Antwerp, 50% of his meals and entertainment expenses while seducing the Countess d'Aubergene, and so forth, but the humble grow-op or meth lab is prevented from doing deducting any expenses. We had a brief discussion in the tax thread about whether it was just expenses directly related to drugs, or any expenses by a drug operation; I'm not certain if the IRS has issued a ruling on the subject so I guess the matter is not resolved yet. Could be a test case in the works if the IRS ever gets funding to audit a grow-op.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Holy cow, I knew that there had been an open-carry gun rally in Olympia but I thought it was people handing rifles to each other outside the capitol building in defiance of what they thought the new gun law prohibits.

I didn't know that these citizens decided to push the open carry issue to the point of going into the public gallery of the legislature to wave rifles in the air. Check out the guy in the bottom right of the photo with the gas mask.

Here's the link to the article, be sure to browse the photo gallery: http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Legislature-weighs-ban-on-openly-carrying-guns-in-chamber-288857421.html

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I want to see the new black panther party do this. :getin:

e: Oh, and this isn't a constitutional issue at all. They've banned bringing signs into the gallery for a long time because it could cause a disruption to proceedings.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Holy cow, I knew that there had been an open-carry gun rally in Olympia but I thought it was people handing rifles to each other outside the capitol building in defiance of what they thought the new gun law prohibits.

I didn't know that these citizens decided to push the open carry issue to the point of going into the public gallery of the legislature to wave rifles in the air. Check out the guy in the bottom right of the photo with the gas mask.

Here's the link to the article, be sure to browse the photo gallery: http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Legislature-weighs-ban-on-openly-carrying-guns-in-chamber-288857421.html

I like the bored kid on the bottom. He's probably thinking "ugh dad being an idiot in public again".

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone get stuck in traffic yesterday? I saw protestors chained together on 99 north just after the battery street tunnel and heard there were more at the mercer on/off ramp.

Edit - So on the topic of open carry guns, I find that it does make me uncomfortable when people carry guns in places that (to me) its silly to carry them. I was in Aberdeen the other day and there was this goony as gently caress looking white dude talking to the Safeway clerk and he was carrying a pistol in one of those shoulder holsters and like a bunch of mags and (to me) the poo poo he was saying was so inane and stupid like, he was going to protect Safeway and how he protects his neighborhood from robbers. No buddy, you aren't and you don't, this Safeway was safer before you were here and your neighborhood was probably safer before you were walking around with a pistol. I mean open carry is even more stupid than concealed carry because then the "criminals" know who to shoot first, probably before you even realize you need to draw your gun out of its holster and accidentally shoot someones poor kid or me.

I mean, if you want to carry a gun because it makes up for penis size anxiety be my guest, but don't pretend like you're protecting poo poo while you're doing it, thanks.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 20, 2015

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Error 404 posted:

Why is weed delivery illegal?

Because if there's a legit way to do it, that's not a bad business idea.

Like, imagine if you could combine food and booze into the service as well.

Dave Chappelle did an interesting documentary about this very topic! :eng101:

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Reason posted:

Anyone get stuck in traffic yesterday? I saw protestors chained together on 99 north just after the battery street tunnel and heard there were more at the mercer on/off ramp.

Edit - So on the topic of open carry guns, I find that it does make me uncomfortable when people carry guns in places that (to me) its silly to carry them. I was in Aberdeen the other day and there was this goony as gently caress looking white dude talking to the Safeway clerk and he was carrying a pistol in one of those shoulder holsters and like a bunch of mags and (to me) the poo poo he was saying was so inane and stupid like, he was going to protect Safeway and how he protects his neighborhood from robbers. No buddy, you aren't and you don't, this Safeway was safer before you were here and your neighborhood was probably safer before you were walking around with a pistol. I mean open carry is even more stupid than concealed carry because then the "criminals" know who to shoot first, probably before you even realize you need to draw your gun out of its holster and accidentally shoot someones poor kid or me.

I mean, if you want to carry a gun because it makes up for penis size anxiety be my guest, but don't pretend like you're protecting poo poo while you're doing it, thanks.

I cannot figure out what the open carry movement is even trying to accomplish. A "let's make guns seem normal to society" movement seems like it could be a plausible goal, but then every open carry movement seems to act completely opposite to this. They don't say "look at me, I'm normal." Instead, what the message usually seems to be is "look at me I SAID LOOK AT ME hahaha this is legal WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT?" The movement makes more sense to me as a pro-gun control movement than anything else, since open carry dudes seem to want to appear scary and weird, and confront ordinary people who have no opinions on guns and force them to have an opinion.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Reason posted:

. I was in Aberdeen the other day and there was this goony as gently caress looking white dude talking to the Safeway clerk and he was carrying a pistol in one of those shoulder holsters and like a bunch of mags and (to me) the poo poo he was saying was so inane and stupid like, he was going to protect Safeway and how he protects his neighborhood from robbers. No buddy, you aren't and you don't, this Safeway was safer before you were here and your neighborhood was probably safer before you were walking around with a pistol.

One of my favorite all times topical Zack Parsons articles:

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/concealed-carry-renfest/1/

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Reason posted:

I mean open carry is even more stupid than concealed carry because then the "criminals" know who to shoot first, probably before you even realize you need to draw your gun out of its holster and accidentally shoot someones poor kid or me.

Not to mention police who are responding to an emergency. You hear all the talk of "it takes a good guy to get the bad guy" but if you just got to the scene you have to worry that everyone slinging a gun is a bad guy. There was someone carrying concealed on scene when Gabby Giffords was shot, and he didn't pull his gun out precisely because he didn't want to confuse the police or get shot himself.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
as long as you're a white person we'll know that you're not a threat

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Any word on recreational stores opening up in the south end? I'm in Kent and the closest stores are either Bellevue or Tacoma.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Lacrosse posted:

Any word on recreational stores opening up in the south end? I'm in Kent and the closest stores are either Bellevue or Tacoma.

Are you looking to waste some money?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Reason posted:

Yeah, I was driving from near the Museum of History and Industry to get on I-5 South. Traffic was ok at the start (it is just a few blocks from the parking lot to the on-ramp), but I started hearing sirens and seeing Seattle police cars going somewhere. I thought there was an accident, but as I went along the street I saw maybe two dozen protesters walking down the middle of the road.

The protesters were walking in the middle of the street towards the I-5 North and South on-ramps. They seemed to waver between which way they would go, but the larger number of them went for the northbound on-ramp and the handful on the south entrance gave that up and jogged over to join them.

Politics aside, it seemed badly organized (people going in different directions) and really unsafe. A good number of cars were confused about what was going on and there weren't any visible police directing traffic, and if a protester darted in the wrong direction or a car didn't spot them in time it could easily have been a bad accident.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Yeah, I was driving from near the Museum of History and Industry to get on I-5 South. Traffic was ok at the start (it is just a few blocks from the parking lot to the on-ramp), but I started hearing sirens and seeing Seattle police cars going somewhere. I thought there was an accident, but as I went along the street I saw maybe two dozen protesters walking down the middle of the road.

The protesters were walking in the middle of the street towards the I-5 North and South on-ramps. They seemed to waver between which way they would go, but the larger number of them went for the northbound on-ramp and the handful on the south entrance gave that up and jogged over to join them.

Politics aside, it seemed badly organized (people going in different directions) and really unsafe. A good number of cars were confused about what was going on and there weren't any visible police directing traffic, and if a protester darted in the wrong direction or a car didn't spot them in time it could easily have been a bad accident.

What was funny about the 99 North part of it was that all the protestors that weren't chained together were trapped behind a chain link fence because of construction, yay.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

SedanChair posted:

Are you looking to waste some money?

No, I already have a source for flowers. I just want a shop nearby so I can stop in now and again for some edibles.

Looks like there's a shop opening in Issaquah soon.

http://www.issaquahcannabiscompany.com/welcome

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
I know this is late, but the sales tax exemption is something that businesses are allowed to offer Canadians. Literally everyone I have ever known who worked retail loathed Canadians and took pleasure in refusing them their tax exemption. I don't know if this was an official policy or what, but if you ever visit the Ross in Bellingham you will understand the hatred and it transcends the store.

Vvv yes, I thought that was what I said.

Blind Melon fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 24, 2015

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Blind Melon posted:

I know this is late, but the sales tax exemption is something that businesses are allowed to offer Canadians. Literally everyone I have ever known who worked retail loathed Canadians and took pleasure in refusing them their tax exemption. I don't know if this was an official policy or what, but if you ever visit the Ross in Bellingham you will understand the hatred and it transcends the store.
Per Washington law, retailers don't have to exempt anyone from paying sales tax.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I'm guessing the exemption doesn't happen all that much in Bellingham because the day the Canadians stop bringing in money is the day laws start getting passed to make them piss off. (Most of the Canadians I've met are nice actually, but shopping tourists are pretty much just douche bags)

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Blind Melon posted:

Vvv yes, I thought that was what I said.

They've just started bypassing WA altogether and flood the Woodburn Company Stores.

Also, shoutout to SedanChair for being awesome in p much all the political threads I see him pop up in.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
The Costco parking lot begs to differ. Bellingham is saturated with shopping Canadians. I'm sure what you are saying is true, but Bellingham doesn't seem to be losing any retail revenue from it. From talking to Canadians it seems like the exchange rate and lower prices (not taxes) are primarily what drives people to shop south of the border. I'm guessing that this is caused by ,ore Canadians going south to shop, not Canadians who already do so bypassing Washington.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
They're actually building a second Costco ~2 miles away.

I wonder how much Bellingham's siphoning out of Canada to warrant two Costcos in one spot?

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 24, 2015

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The Costco hub for the PNW is in Sumner so it's cheaper to keep stores in western Washington supplied than anywhere else, too. If cross-border shopping is a thing I don't blame them for packing them in like Starbucks.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Accretionist posted:

They're actually building a second Costco ~2 miles away.

I wonder how much Bellingham's siphoning out of Canada to warrant two Costcos in one spot?

I've only been to the Bellingham Costco once but there were enough Canadians there to fill four Costcos.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
^^^^ try going on a Canadian holiday. It will make what you experienced seem downright barren. Or, on second thought, don't. Ever. It's a mistake you only make once. loving Queen Victoria Day...

Accretionist posted:

Enough. From talking to employees at Costco this would have been done years ago if they had been able to work it out with the city. I was told that Costco was old enough that it would be up for remodel/replacement anyways.

Just about every time I'm there I see multiple people with a flat cart LOADED with milk. They keep a refrigerator truck idling because they don't have the fridge space. Keeping the milk fridge stocked is a full time job for three employees.

At least the Costco put a stop to people filling up plastic bags of ice at their ice machines, that was such a colossal dick move I'm surprised they didn't put a stop to it immediately. The hatred of Canadians is sadly very justified.

E: oh god it's right off the freeway. That can only be a good thing. gently caress meridian.

Vvv I would imagine that the percentage of shoppers who are spending enough money for the drive to be worthwhile, yet are still dedicated bargain hunters is pretty low.

Blind Melon fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 24, 2015

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
The percentage of shoppers willing to drive/ride for 4.5 hours each way all the way to Oregon to save another 9% is going to be pretty low.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Blind Melon posted:

Just about every time I'm there I see multiple people with a flat cart LOADED with milk. They keep a refrigerator truck idling because they don't have the fridge space. Keeping the milk fridge stocked is a full time job for three employees.

Yeah, Punjabi cuisine makes liberal use of curd and yogurt, hence Vancouver's otherwise baffling demand for milk.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Javid posted:

The Costco hub for the PNW is in Sumner

This explains all the Costco trucks I see. I had no idea.

:ms:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Accretionist posted:

Yeah, Punjabi cuisine makes liberal use of curd and yogurt, hence Vancouver's otherwise baffling demand for milk.

I wonder if Canada will crack down on that, that's a lot of lost tax money.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The exchange rate alone will stop it. The Canadian dollar has dropped 10 cents in a few months and is hovering around 80 cents after parity for years. Bellingham will be begging for Canadians in a few years at this rate.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I really need to start playing the market.
Bellingham will never unilaterally beg for Canadians and if you would like to know why then come visit our Ross.

I don't think you quite understand what douche bags some Canadian shoppers are. The day they stop bringing in money is the day they stop being welcome and quite frankly they deserve it. Sorry nice Canadians.

If people are interested I'll see about taking some photos. It is quite something else.

Blind Melon fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 25, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Don't worry, our lovely failed petro state is collapsing soon. You'll be bitching about all those starving Canadian refugees looking for work or food or someone to buy 1br condo they paid $700k for soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Don't worry, our lovely failed petro state is collapsing soon. You'll be bitching about all those starving Canadian refugees looking for work or food or someone to buy 1br condo they paid $700k for soon enough.

I'm looking forward to getting a Canadian mail order bride

• Locked thread