Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Windmill Hut posted:

Just got my new G2. At the setup i've selected to use my Google account and transfer over data, but none of my apps are coming across? I can download them all manually but i'm just wondering why this isn't working? It'd be handy for the future if i have to factory reset etc.

I have backups set to ON on my old Nexus 4

G2s aren't new and backups are device-specific.

Lollipop has an NFC transfer-account thing that would preserve app lists etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sir Unimaginative posted:

backups are device-specific.
This isn't true. Prior to Lollipop restoring would download a bunch of apps that are installed on one or more of your other devices except you can't determine which device or apps you get in any way. Also none of your app data is restored unless the app specifically implements it, it literally just downloads the app from Play.

In Lollipop you can now chose which device to restore from and then customise the list of apps and the whole thing works a lot better. Restoring data is still down to the app, however.

I have no idea why your G2 is broken but I'd recommend you replace it with a good phone anyway because that thing is old and the UX is garbage.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Tunga posted:

This isn't true. Prior to Lollipop restoring would download a bunch of apps that are installed on one or more of your other devices except you can't determine which device or apps you get in any way. Also none of your app data is restored unless the app specifically implements it, it literally just downloads the app from Play.

Yeesh, that's worse than if it were device-specific.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Compared with my wife's S5 on the same "version" of android, it is much better. I noticed that it actually has started to consolidate many of the lollipop-like variations in the OS like in the app-switcher and also in the notification shade. I wonder how much cosmetically will change with the new update (whenever it comes).

We already have a good idea what it looks like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2DW6YKhLxY

Honestly that video is what made me go with the N6. It's better but still ugly.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

We already have a good idea what it looks like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2DW6YKhLxY

Honestly that video is what made me go with the N6. It's better but still ugly.
Two clocks is the default? Really?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Two clocks is Android's thing, man.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Are two clocks not still the default on every Android device? Does GNL not default with a clock widget?

Also, is the Note 4 only sold with that disgusting fake leather back?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Are two clocks not still the default on every Android device? Does GNL not default with a clock widget?

Nope, no clock widget on the Nexus 7 2013 or Nexus 6 by default.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Well the two clock thing is so prevalent nowadays for most non-power-users that its not really that big of a deal. I am aware that there are other, better, "prettier" solutions, but its simple and works for most people. Larger numbers, easier to see at a glance for people with failing eyesight, whatever.

I never saw the back as "fake leather" its just textured soft-touch plastic, but i guess it is sort of supposed to have a leather grain to it. I actually like it a lot, it is kind of grippy and comfortable to hold.

I decided on the Note4 after playing around with one and holding it compared with the N6, but I guess as has been mentioned in this thread a million times, I am the exception here in my preference. So far I've enjoyed using it as a phone and as an internet consumption device. Checks off all my boxes. At the risk of :regd08:, I'll stop now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The last version with a default clock widget was Donut, 1.6. Eclair, Froyo, and Gingerbread had nothing at all on the default homescreen, and Honeycomb up through to Lollipop has the Google search bar at the top. Once folders were added it became the default to have a folder of Google apps right above the dock.

The thing that's so weird isn't putting a clock widget on the default homescreen, it's that OEMs who do it (just Samsung and LG as far as I know) are also creating a launcher and could easily make it so the clock in the statusbar doesn't show when a clock widget is used. Like, that's an option they could exercise and don't.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 16, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LastInLine posted:

The last version with a default clock widget was Donut, 1.6. Eclair, Froyo, and Gingerbread had nothing at all on the default homescreen, and Honeycomb up through to Lollipop has the Google search bar at the top. Once folders were added it became the default to have a folder of Google apps right above the dock.

That isn't true, Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4 both had a clock widget by default. Not the big numbers one, but the clock face widget. I'm pretty sure they did, anyway.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

That isn't true, Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4 both had a clock widget by default. Not the big numbers one, but the clock face widget. I'm pretty sure they did, anyway.
I was almost certain I was right that booted up to the yellow image they used promotional materials but you know what, you're right. The N4 had that bluish wallpaper with the analog clock and the Galaxy Nexus had that diffused spectrum wallpaper with the analog clock.

I'm nearly certain the N5 had no clock.

Thinking on the Eclair/Froyo/Gingerbread days they might've had the search widget up at the top by default but I don't have a device from that era to check. I think they may have had the onboarding Android Tips widget at the bottom over the dock as well but that may have been on the right homescreen which would leave room for an analog clock under the search widget. Maybe not though because a part of me has a strong memory of watching that Nexus One live wallpaper with the moving colors on an obstructed background.

Google definitely always used analog clocks when they did put them on there.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
ITT: clockchat

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

I was almost certain I was right that booted up to the yellow image they used promotional materials but you know what, you're right. The N4 had that bluish wallpaper with the analog clock and the Galaxy Nexus had that diffused spectrum wallpaper with the analog clock.
You can look at unboxing videos to confirm (finally they have a use!), but you're right—only the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4 had clocks on the homescreen by default. You're correct that the Galaxy Nexus had the rainbow colors on black wallpaper and the 4 had the Phase Beam background. The Nexus tablets that came out in that era had the "My Library" widget instead.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

LastInLine posted:

This is only true if you're the only one in the picture. Otherwise saying "cheese" or "smile" is a cue for the other people in the frame to get ready. It's almost like I'm talking to people without friends or fami... ooohhhh.
Are you loving joking?

photographer: say cheese

group: *says cheese, smiles whether they want to or not*

LastInLine: :saddowns:

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Straker posted:

Are you loving joking?

This whole discussion is just a way to get us to pine for the productive and fulfilling days of SD card and removable battery chat, right?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Straker posted:

Are you loving joking?

This is literally what happens any time you're around old people, like exactly.

"Oh! Are we taking a picture?" *Starts shifting position in order to capture their "good side"*

"WHERE'S THE CAMERA?"

"That is a camera, Grandma..."

"IT LOOKS LIKE A PHONE..."

On and on for what seems like an eternity. Maybe it's just my family but the delay after saying that codeword better be ten minutes.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

LastInLine posted:

"Oh! Are we taking a picture?" *Starts shifting position in order to capture their "good side"*

"WHERE'S THE CAMERA?"

On and on for what seems like an eternity. Maybe it's just my family but the delay after saying that codeword better be ten minutes.

Yeah stupid old people not having smart phones

*kick flips in your granmas face*

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

"WHERE'S THE CAMERA?"

This is exactly why it's a good idea though. You can set the camera down or hold it or whatever, get everyone ready, say "everyone ready?" And they go 'yeah' and you go 'ok, smile!' And the camera helpfully kicks in a moment later

You're saying this is better
You: ok everyone ready?
Family: yeah!
You: ok, smile!
:D :D :D :D
You: Ok S-Camera, Activate!
Grandma: Samma whatsit???
:D :D :jeb: :ohdear:

I mean this is maybe the only genuinely smart idea I've heard from Samsung on their voice-activated crap ("I would like to take a picture!" to open the camera, gently caress me), it's a completely natural and unintrusive way of taking a photo

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
:bravo:

You're all a bunch of loving spergs who don't understand subjectivity.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Hate to break it to you, but the Note 4's stock dialer does this.

I just got a Note 4 and deliberately decided not to root and do custom stuff after the nightmare that was keeping my S3 going. The way everyone here talks, I was bracing myself to cope with a horrendous experience.

Instead, my only gripe has been that I can't block ads and there's a weird bug where it won't remember my works wifi certificates. There's some janky colors here and there, I guess, if you care about that kind of thing, but everything works so well that I don't really get the hate anymore.

Yea I meant to say it's part of the Note 4 dialer. But the actual dialing phone numbers part you can use ex-dailer. In call is still Note 4.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Is there a live wallpaper that will let me put a different static image on every page of my home screen?

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

Skunkrocker posted:

Is there a live wallpaper that will let me put a different static image on every page of my home screen?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.firepaper.fivehundredpx&hl=en

500 Firepaper will do that for you.

edit: I'm dumb and I misread that.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.tamanegi.wallpaper.multipicture&hl=en

MultiPicture Live Wallpaper should be able to do it

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Muzei is a really nice wallpaper app if you're into static images.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Additionally, Tapet is a nice Material theme app that spits out randomly generated wallpapers.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Thanks to MPLW I found Go Multiple Wallpaper. Works better honestly. :v:

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010
So I'm in the market for a new phone and the Moto G 4G phone caught my eye. Anybody have any experience with it? The price and specs look really tempting, and because it has a micro SD slot, I can reuse my old SD card which is a nice bonus. Or is there a new version on the horizon? Or a better phone in the same price bracket. I do live in Finland if that matters any.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Supposedly there is a 2nd gen Moto G coming with LTE but nothing official yet. It's a fantastic phone for the price, not really much comes close to it unless you want unreliable Chinese phones. Or you can grab an S4 or M7 for right around $200 USD now too.

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010

Lblitzer posted:

Supposedly there is a 2nd gen Moto G coming with LTE but nothing official yet. It's a fantastic phone for the price, not really much comes close to it unless you want unreliable Chinese phones. Or you can grab an S4 or M7 for right around $200 USD now too.

I think the moto G 4G is the upgraded version, unless you are thinking of another phone. Looking at the specs of both moto G:s they are pretty much the same, except the newer one has a card slot, LTE and is slightly more expensive. Reason why i'm leaning towards Moto G is because it's more than 100 euros less expensive than S4 and M7 and pretty much stock Android.

EDIT: Also SD card slot

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

snipermonkey posted:

I think the moto G 4G is the upgraded version, unless you are thinking of another phone. Looking at the specs of both moto G:s they are pretty much the same, except the newer one has a card slot, LTE and is slightly more expensive. Reason why i'm leaning towards Moto G is because it's more than 100 euros less expensive than S4 and M7 and pretty much stock Android.

This actually isn't true. The Moto G LTE is a variant of the first generation Moto G. The second generation (and all first generations except when specifically labelled LTE) doesn't have LTE. The good news is that the second gen just made the screen bigger, and almost all of the internals are otherwise the same. Assuming you're in an LTE area, the Moto G LTE is still a fine phone.

It isn't going to be as fast as a current gen flagship phone, but it isn't terrible or anything. I'd get it over an S4 for sure, even at the same price (although there's some stock android bias there), and I'd save the 100 moon dollars over the M7 (though I'd probably get the M7 if they were the same price. Probably.).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

snipermonkey posted:

You're looking at the 2013 Moto G LTE. What Lblitzer is saying, and is correct about, is that the 2014 Moto G, which is currently not available with LTE, is going to have an LTE version sometime soon.

They released a lot of different versions of the Moto G:

2013 Moto G (8 or 16GB internal storage, no SD slot)
2013 Moto G GPE (16GB, no SD slot)
2013 Moto G LTE (8GB, with SD slot)
2014 Moto G (8GB with SD slot, bigger screen same SoC)
and
2014 Moto G LTE (seen in Brazil, nothing official yet but probably 8GB with SD slot)

But yes, this is the best phone at the bottom end of the market whatever version you get. My wife used a 2013 GPE for a while and liked it.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
I feel like a right idiot but how on earth do you use a non standard sound as a notification on the s5. There doesn't seem to be an add button on the menu like there is for ringtones and trying to use 'set as' on the music player just lets me set a ring tone.

I need my super original metal gear solid enemy alert notification noise dammit, I'm the only one who has ever thought of that.

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010
Thanks for the clarification, it was helpful. Will try to get the 2nd gen one then.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

snipermonkey posted:

Thanks for the clarification, it was helpful. Will try to get the 2nd gen one then.
I'll tell you, I'd rather have LTE than a bigger screen. The screens are the same resolution so you aren't missing out on anything but inches but LTE is way better than the slow 3G speeds in Europe/UK where they didn't roll out HSPA+.

I really like the Moto G and it's a good device for the price but every direction you go on it there's a really big compromise. Like no LTE and 16GB of internal storage, or a bigger screen but no LTE (plus still only 8GB). We opted for the GPE just because while LTE would be nice, not dealing with an SD card was worth it to us. I certainly wouldn't sacrifice both the internal storage and LTE just for the screen.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Sorvah posted:

I feel like a right idiot but how on earth do you use a non standard sound as a notification on the s5. There doesn't seem to be an add button on the menu like there is for ringtones and trying to use 'set as' on the music player just lets me set a ring tone.

I need my super original metal gear solid enemy alert notification noise dammit, I'm the only one who has ever thought of that.

Settings, then sound should do it, that's how my wife's note 4 is. Ringtones and notifications are in the middle of that screen.

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010
After a little more research and your recommendations, I think I'll most likely go for the Moto G LTE version. It's available now and while the half inch would be nice, it's not that important to wait for. Thanks again everybody.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, Google may be trying to acquire the payment system formally known as Isis (Softcard).

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-reportedly-talks-acquire-mobile-payments-company-softcard

So, after all that war, it goes out with a whimper. Really though, this is just a tacit acknowledgment that Apple Pay has won.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Really though, this is just a tacit acknowledgment that Apple Pay has won.

Won? There are no winners in the contactless payment world. They are all equal opportunity janky competitors trying to get traction outside of a handful of stores without disabled NFC terminals. It's the Betamax/HD DVD war of the modern day.

All of them are far from being declared superior or a winner IMO. It's the wild west.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

snipermonkey posted:

So I'm in the market for a new phone and the Moto G 4G phone caught my eye. Anybody have any experience with it? The price and specs look really tempting, and because it has a micro SD slot, I can reuse my old SD card which is a nice bonus. Or is there a new version on the horizon? Or a better phone in the same price bracket. I do live in Finland if that matters any.

I'd suggest getting the MotoX 2013 instead of the MotoG 4G. It's about the same price, and it's a better device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I'd suggest getting the MotoX 2013 instead of the MotoG 4G. It's about the same price, and it's a better device.

I wouldn't call over double the price of moto X 2013 the same price as a Moto G.