Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Ultimate Mango posted:

Last year I got a pair of refurbished audio technica noise canceling headphones from Amazon for like $40, specifically for a few long flights. These were awesome, and we also had a set of the Bose QC15 with us. Pretty much the same for 15% of the price. Spend the extra $160 on a seat upgrade.

Do you know which model?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Looking for a pretty stand to hang/display my headphones on, like you see in a lot of review photos. Preferably some sort of transparent material. Anybody got a particular one they recommend, or should I just poke around Amazon?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ynglaur posted:

Have you tried using an Astro Mixamp? Connect the amp to the PS4, and the connect headphones/headset to the amp. They make a wireless headset as well.
I don't see how this addresses my question at all, nor do I know how buying this $130 thing would help, unless you can connect a USB wireless transmitter to it.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 12, 2015

Elemennop
Dec 29, 2004

only the martyrs have their identities remembered. please remember me, i beg you!
I'm currently looking at http://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-Wireless-Bluetooth-Earphones-Microphone/dp/B00MGYQP52/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_i as a pair of headphones for working out/walking around with. I've gone through two pairs of sennheiser cx685s because the cord separated from the plug. I was looking at a wireless IEM set, but I want one that's relatively light, doesn't sound terrible, and has a decent battery life. Is there a better option out there? Or are wireless headphones not really worth the premium yet? I would like to spend under $75.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Budget - £50
Source - Amazon UK
Isolation Requirements - No.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear or on-ear. Not in-ear. Bluetooth.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Overall balance.
Past Headphones - Sennheiser
Preferred Music - These are predominantly for listening to TV shows/movies on my Nexus 7.

Are these Bluedio HT(Shooting Brake) wireless bluetooth 4.1 stereo headphones any good? They get variable reviews.

What about these Philips SHB7000/10?

Anyone? Bueller?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

dupersaurus posted:

Do you know which model?

ATH-ANC27. They were both discontinued and refurbished. They have been great for pretty much what you want. There are deals to be had on them for sure.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I've been getting the tickle to upgrade after 4-5 years of faithful service from my Shure SE310s, so it's time for a "what should I get?" post:

Budget - Willing to go up to $300+. Have also been toying with the idea of getting custom earpieces done, but my understanding is that an audiologist appointment is a nontrivial expense. Anyone have input on this as it pertains to effect on daily listening, typical cost, etc.?
Source - Cowon Z2. About half my stuff is FLAC, and the rest MP3. I'd actually be open to replacing this as well, if there's something reasonably priced and well-designed that serves as a better source. (I like Cowon's product design and EQ control, but the Z2 UI is Android-driven and it blows.)
Isolation Requirements - Yes. My use case is that I ride Muni daily.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM. Perfect for my needs.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I don't want something that will totally smiley-face-EQ my music or anything, but I typically find I'm happier with my current pair when I bump the bass up just a touch, or use Cowon's BBE preset. In general, I prefer to err on the side of neutral sound reproduction, but I don't necessarily want totally sterile sound.
Past Headphones - Currently Shure SE310s; previously Shure E3Cs. Both have been great, but I would like to take a little step up with my next pair.
Preferred Music - Rock, generally; typically stuff with a lot of dynamic range. (Post-rock/post-hardcore; sometimes just good old loud punk rock) Occasionally electronic, pretty much never hiphop.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Acer Pilot posted:

I'm completely new to headphones and want something wireless that I can use to listen to TV shows while listening in bed (and not disturbing others).

I'd also prefer to get something off of Amazon.ca or some Canadian store (like NCIX.com) if possible.

Budget - Up to $100 Canadian before tax.
Source - My PC or possibly a TV which has a headphone jack. No Bluetooth.
Isolation Requirements - Would be nice but not required
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced
Past Headphones - I'm a heathen that just uses those in-ear iPod headphones
Preferred Music - I primarily want this for TV watching

Any help would be appreciated! I'm looking at wireless Sennheiser headphones right now but I can't tell what's considered good :(

Anyone have any personal experience/opinions on the Sennheiser RS120 On-Ear 926MHz Wireless RF Headphones with Charging Cradle? Leaning on this right now since it doesn't need separate batteries.

e2: This Sony MDR-RF985 Wireless Stereo Headphone System seems to look good too. Opinions?

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 13, 2015

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Minidust posted:

Looking for a pretty stand to hang/display my headphones on, like you see in a lot of review photos. Preferably some sort of transparent material. Anybody got a particular one they recommend, or should I just poke around Amazon?

I prefer wall hanging guitar mounts myself.

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

X-ray reflectivity is a technique used to study crystalline structures. Making use of Bragg's law, λ=2dsin(θ), one can assess the thickness of a thin film by measuring the angle of total reflection, and compar

Hey guys, I'm looking for IEMs in the ~sub $150 range. I will be plugging primarily into my iPhone and laptop. I guess if I have to specify, I'd prefer bass heavy since I listen to a lot of rap. Lastly, I want something with a hardy cord if possible so that one/both of the IEMs don't stop working after I take them to the gym for a month. Any suggestions appreciated!

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Brosnan posted:

I've been getting the tickle to upgrade after 4-5 years of faithful service from my Shure SE310s, so it's time for a "what should I get?" post:

Budget - Willing to go up to $300+. Have also been toying with the idea of getting custom earpieces done, but my understanding is that an audiologist appointment is a nontrivial expense. Anyone have input on this as it pertains to effect on daily listening, typical cost, etc.?
Source - Cowon Z2. About half my stuff is FLAC, and the rest MP3. I'd actually be open to replacing this as well, if there's something reasonably priced and well-designed that serves as a better source. (I like Cowon's product design and EQ control, but the Z2 UI is Android-driven and it blows.)
Isolation Requirements - Yes. My use case is that I ride Muni daily.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM. Perfect for my needs.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I don't want something that will totally smiley-face-EQ my music or anything, but I typically find I'm happier with my current pair when I bump the bass up just a touch, or use Cowon's BBE preset. In general, I prefer to err on the side of neutral sound reproduction, but I don't necessarily want totally sterile sound.
Past Headphones - Currently Shure SE310s; previously Shure E3Cs. Both have been great, but I would like to take a little step up with my next pair.
Preferred Music - Rock, generally; typically stuff with a lot of dynamic range. (Post-rock/post-hardcore; sometimes just good old loud punk rock) Occasionally electronic, pretty much never hiphop.

I've used Shures (SE210 followed by 110) for the past 4-5 years and UE super.fi 5 PROs before that. The cable connections finally went bad on my 110s in December so I asked for a pair of Sennheiser IE80 for xmas. I'm loving them so far. I'd classify them as accurate but with a sparkle of fun. The soundstage is pretty unbelievable for an IEM. They are my favorite IEMs of the few I listed.

They don't have as good of isolation as Shures + foam tips did but it is good enough that it blocks out bus noises on my daily commute. I'd say the only moderately concerning thing is the build quality seems cheaper than Shure but the cable is replaceable so as long as I'm not replacing it monthly or something ridiculous I'll be happy.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Well, my Corsair Vengeance 2000 headset is finally going to be out of warranty next month (I'm going to try to get one more RMA, but it'll probably last another month or so).

Budget - I need to buy them for under $50 CAD shipped to BC. I spent a lot of money on a video card and a nice dynamic mic already.
Source - PC, miniplug on the front of my case
Isolation Requirements - The woman upstairs yells and has a baby so yeah, please.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear, closed.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I am a hobbyist Ableton Live producer so neutral would be best.
Past Headphones - Basically, the #1 thing is that the headphones I've had in the past have broken too often or too quickly, so I'd like something sturdy.
Preferred Music - IDM, Hip-Hop, Dubstep, Synthwave

Please help!

Lairek
Jun 27, 2007

One day I shall be the king!
Hi - looking for a new pair of headphones after my old ones broke.

Budget - around 150£ tops
Source - PC / Smartphone
Isolation Requirements - Not a requirement but nice to have, as I like to listen while commuting
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full-size
Preferred Tonal Balance - Err.. something balanced
Past Headphones - I've used my Steelseries Siberia V-2 for the past many years and been extremely pleased with them, but the steel wire in the head-strap broke and they´re no longer comfortable to wear.
Preferred Music - Electronic, Classical, Metal, Prog-rock, Trance.

I´m mainly looking for something with good sound that I could use both for PC gaming (mic not a requirement) and on-the-go listening. I really enjoyed the Over-the-ear cupping of the Siberia V-2 and would prefer something that can be easily worn for hours.

Gold Dust Gasoline
Jul 11, 2006

just be yourself and you'll be fine
Pillbug

absolem posted:

Also keep in mind the k7xx which is just the newest iteration of the the AKG and the Fidelio x2 ($300) which tyll recommends over the hd600

Just got my fidelio x2s in and can confirm they own.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Gold Dust Gasoline posted:

Just got my fidelio x2s in and can confirm they own.
Fellow new X2 owner/lover here :wave:

It's my first pair of grown-up headphones, so I can't make truly educated comparisons, but they've been blowing my mind. That soundstage. The first time I plugged them in I had to physically remove them from my head to make sure the sound had actually switched over from my 7.1 speakers. I wanted "open," I wanted "airy," and by golly I got it. I did a lot of research prior to buying, and it really seems like these are the best-kept secret of the headphone world.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 16, 2015

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Minidust posted:

Fellow new X2 owner/lover here :wave:

It's my first pair of grown-up headphones, so I can't make truly educated comparisons, but they've been blowing my mind. That soundstage. The first time I plugged them in I had to physically remove them from my head to make sure the sound had actually switched over from my 7.1 speakers. I wanted "open," I wanted "airy," and by golly I got it. I did a lot of research prior to buying, and it really seems like these are the best-kept secret of the headphone world.

They are fairly new, but it is surprising how little I've heard about them. I'm definitely going to pick up a pair now

SebAndSeb
Apr 23, 2007

hello
Budget - Up to ~300AUD
Source - ipod, phone, PC
Isolation Requirements - Yes, using on public transport and some plane travel. Also, I'll probably listen to music at work so I don't want to be that guy.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Was thinking over ear but maybe could be convinced to go IEM, I guess they can be a bit more convenient.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Not really sure, probably fairly balanced?
Past Headphones - Sony MDRZX600. First headphones I had that weren't lovely earbuds, so they were a step up, and were (still are) basically fine for $80 or so.
Preferred Music - quite a variety; Rock, Hip hop, electronic, jazzy... pretty much the only thing to rule out is really heavy or hardcore stuff.

I've been looking at Shure SRH840s, which seem to be well recommended. Could also go the SRH940s which are $100 more, if that increase could be justified for someone who probably won't appreciate the really fine sound detail. Kind of prefer the black though.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

SebAndSeb posted:

Budget - Up to ~300AUD
Source - ipod, phone, PC
Isolation Requirements - Yes, using on public transport and some plane travel. Also, I'll probably listen to music at work so I don't want to be that guy.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Was thinking over ear but maybe could be convinced to go IEM, I guess they can be a bit more convenient.
Past Headphones - Sony MDRZX600. First headphones I had that weren't lovely earbuds, so they were a step up, and were (still are) basically fine for $80 or so.
Preferred Music - quite a variety; Rock, Hip hop, electronic, jazzy... pretty much the only thing to rule out is really heavy or hardcore stuff.

I've been looking at Shure SRH840s, which seem to be well recommended. Could also go the SRH940s which are $100 more, if that increase could be justified for someone who probably won't appreciate the really fine sound detail. Kind of prefer the black though.

I love my 940s, but some people rather have the 840 claiming that they have better bass.
The only problem is that the headband on both is made out of the shittiest plastic on the market, so not only they will break on you very soon, they are not the most comfortable unless you happen to have a average or smaller head.
I ended up having to move the cups from my 940s to a Beyerdynamic headband to avoid the discomfort and the risk them braking.
If I'm not mistaken Shure will replace the broken headband once then you're on your own.

Passburger fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 17, 2015

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

dupersaurus posted:

I've got a few long flights coming up so I'm looking for some headphones to take along. The Quiet Comforts are awfully alluring, but in the name of something better...

Budget: $200, could be convinced a little higher if it's really worth it
Source: phone, computer
Isolation Requirements: Airplane-fighters
Preferred Type of Headphone: Over ear. My ears can be picky, so cushy is good
Preferred Tonal Balance/Music: Don't know any better, but my playlist is pretty wide, so probably neutral, maybe a little bass-leaning.
Past Headphones - $50 Plantronics-something-or-another at work that do me well enough

A mic for gaming would be nice, but is purely optional.

Just to go back to this for a moment. I've got a ATH-ANC27 on the radar with active noise cancelling, but anyone have any favorites without it? I didn't mean to make it sound like I only wanted something with active noise cancelling.

Gold Dust Gasoline
Jul 11, 2006

Pillbug

absolem posted:

They are fairly new, but it is surprising how little I've heard about them. I'm definitely going to pick up a pair now

The earpads are a little itchy (compared to leather or faux leather), and some people have been able to get them to leak small amounts of purple ink onto white paper (lol). Mine don't do this, however. I think it may have been an early manufacturing error. Also, the cable is wrapped in some fiber to make it seem more expensive but it leads to you being able to hear it in your left earcup when it scrapes across things. The headphones also weigh a little bit more than most, but not enough to even make me think twice about it.

That's about all that you should know about the negatives of these headphones if you are looking to buy them. The sound is exactly what I was looking for, great balance across the range but not so neutral as to be boring. For me, I would use these over an hd600 as well and am really happy with them.

Gold Dust Gasoline fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 17, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

HD 650 for $295 after $25 mail-in rebate: http://slickdeals.net/f/7602520-back-sennheiser-hd650-audiophile-open-headphones-295-free-shipping-after-25-mail-in-rebate

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

SebAndSeb posted:

Budget - Up to ~300AUD
Source - ipod, phone, PC

I'd personally take the NVX XPT100/Brainwavz HM5 over the Shure's. The Shure have more detail retrieval, but I didn't find them enjoyable to listen to.

SebAndSeb
Apr 23, 2007

hello

Passburger posted:

I love my 940s, but some people rather have the 840 claiming that they have better bass.
The only problem is that the headband on both is made out of the shittiest plastic on the market, so not only they will break on you very soon, they are not the most comfortable unless you happen to have a average or smaller head.
I ended up having to move the cups from my 940s to a Beyerdynamic headband to avoid the discomfort and the risk them braking.
If I'm not mistaken Shure will replace the broken headband once then you're on your own.

Midorka posted:

I'd personally take the NVX XPT100/Brainwavz HM5 over the Shure's. The Shure have more detail retrieval, but I didn't find them enjoyable to listen to.

Thanks for the input guys. The Shure build quality problems sound a little scary. I'll have to have a bit more of a think, unfortunately there seems to be limited options where I am to actually go and try out anything beyond what JB Hifi offers.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Hello, headphone noob here. Been using these for the longest time. Plugged a set of full sized display headphones into my phone at the store and was amazed at how much more depth and bass there was, so I'm looking to upgrade.

Budget - Around $100, $200 if it's really worth it to drop the extra $100.
Source - Cellphone, bass guitar amp, computer.
Isolation Requirements - No isolation, for listening at home at quiet times.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Sound quality and comfort are the most important considerations for type of headphones.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced or bass-heavy.
Past Headphones - See above.
Preferred Music - Electronic(a lot of different electronic), rock, hip hop. I really like music with solid bass.

And:

Budget - Around $100, $200 if it's really worth it to drop the extra $100.
Source - Cellphone.
Isolation Requirements - Yes, these would be for walking around with outside.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Something not too big to avoid looking like a dork in public.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced or bass-heavy.
Past Headphones - See above.
Preferred Music - Electronic(a lot of different electronic), rock, hip hop. I really like music with solid bass.

Thank you!

Oh and I'm in Toronto, Canada if that changes anything.

Present fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 23, 2015

Gold Dust Gasoline
Jul 11, 2006

Pillbug
Take a look at the Sony mdr 7506.

Or the Audio-Technica ATH M50 if you want a headphone with more bass.

Edit : Oh you said you didn't want to look like a dork in public...

Gold Dust Gasoline fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 23, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I don't really need headphones per se, I've already got two sets that I love (AIAIAI TMA-1 Studio and Sennheiser PX-100 II), but I'd love to get a decent headset for my phone (and possibly voice calls on my Chromebook), since I hate only having sound in one ear. I figure this is the best thread to ask.

Budget - Inexpensive is good, so about $75-100 max.
Source - Cellphone+Chromebook, TRRS plug is preferred over separate headphone and mic plugs.
Isolation Requirements - Not essential, too much isolation would be bad for phone calls, in relation to hearing my own voice.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Not too heavy, and I prefer soft earpads, my ears start to hurt quickly otherwise. Ideal would be 100% over the ear without touching the ears themselves, but those tend to be huge, heavy, expensive and uncomfortably warm.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Clear voice sound, both incoming and outgoing. Balanced sound for music would be nice, but isn't 100% essential if it compromises voice quality. If I can get a similar sound to the PX-100 II, that would be perfect.
Past Headphones - AIAIAI TMA-1 DJ, Sennheiser PX-100 and PX-100 II, Beyerdynamic DT 231, standard Samsung pack-in earphones with microphone (I hate them).
Preferred Music - Rock, metal, various others. Music will not be the primary use case.
Other - I want a boom mic. This is 100% non-negiotiable, I hate on-cable microphones with the burning of a billion suns. A volume and mic mute control on the headphones or cable would be nice to have. I don't care if it controls the phone or just the headphones themselves. I don't want Bluetooth, despite the conveniences, since there could be significant periods between uses, and I hate having non-replaceable batteries die on me.

So far, I have a couple of likely candidates from Sennheiser, Plantronics and Logitech, but I feel like I'm missing an obvious solution.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 23, 2015

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Are there any worthwhile wired-to-wireless dongles for headphones out there? I'd rather not buy a second set of cans to my Sennheisers, but the dongles I have seen out there are bulky as hell and sometimes require being taped to the headphones, which is ridiculous.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ufarn posted:

Are there any worthwhile wired-to-wireless dongles for headphones out there? I'd rather not buy a second set of cans to my Sennheisers, but the dongles I have seen out there are bulky as hell and sometimes require being taped to the headphones, which is ridiculous.

Where else would you place the dongle? If you put it in your pocket and run the cable to it, that sort of defeats the purpose, right?

Is something like this what you're looking for? It doesn't look that huge.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TaoTronics-Bluetooth-Wireless-Headphones-Transmitter/dp/B006IJJH7O

Unless you were specifically asking about non-BT wireless headphones.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

quote:

What to Avoid?

Noise Cancelling
In general noise cancelling is a feature that many feel they need, but do not. Noise cancelling is not designed to stop chatter or other sporadic noises. Noise cancelling is designed to stop constant noises such as the hum of a plane, or a bus. Even so, many high isolation options exist that would suit the same purpose without paying the “technology tax” of noise cancelling.

Bose, Beats, Monster and Skullcandy
In general these companies put out products that aren’t worth their price tag. They are popular companies that spend huge budgets on advertising and pride themselves on their name, not their quality. These companies do have great products so this rule is not hard and fast, but in general be wary of their products and do plenty of research to make sure you’re not getting a really poor quality item.

I want to take a moment to thank the OP. I was looking for noise-canceling headphones, but I wasn't aware that these would be unable to mitigate sporadic noises. I was also looking at a Bose, but I am going to try and look for something with better value-for-money.

If anyone has any recommendations, this is what I'm looking for:

• "Studio" style (monitors, whatever you call them, basically not earbuds and not the littler headphones)
  • Bluetooth
  • Able to fit a fairly large head

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Three-Phase posted:

If anyone has any recommendations, this is what I'm looking for:

• "Studio" style (monitors, whatever you call them, basically not earbuds and not the littler headphones)
  • Bluetooth
  • Able to fit a fairly large head

I think that's probably a tall order. Sticking to only Bluetooth headphones will severely limit your options, especially since very very few large headphones are wireless.

I posted this above, but perhaps you'd be better off with a nice set of wired headphones and this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TaoTronics-Bluetooth-Wireless-Headphones-Transmitter/dp/B006IJJH7O

A lot of headphone have removable cables, so you could easily fit a shorter one and use an external receiver.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Looking for a wireless headset, preferably for gaming, but which are incredibly comfortable but also look nice (for a friend who streams). Is there a gold standard for wireless gaming headsets?

Mic is not necessary, because we have a quality standalone.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 26, 2015

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

KozmoNaut posted:

I think that's probably a tall order. Sticking to only Bluetooth headphones will severely limit your options, especially since very very few large headphones are wireless.

I posted this above, but perhaps you'd be better off with a nice set of wired headphones and this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TaoTronics-Bluetooth-Wireless-Headphones-Transmitter/dp/B006IJJH7O

A lot of headphone have removable cables, so you could easily fit a shorter one and use an external receiver.

That's kinda' cool! I'll definitely take a look at that.

To my knowledge Studio Headphones + Bluetooth + Noise Cancellation doesn't exist.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I recently got a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 for extremely heavy use at work and mild use at home. Without doubling my buy in costs to get these, is there currently an amp out there that worth spending the money on? Like maybe the FiiO E6? I'm not dying to have one and am more just curious about my options than anything else.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I have a bit of a weird recommendation request. I've been using a pair of steelseries flux IEMs at work but the noise that it makes when I move my head and bump the cables is really distracting. Is there another pair of IEMs that handle motion a bit better? Preferably in the same price range because they're just being used with my phone (no amp) so I don't think it's worth getting something fancy. Would bluetooth be a good option?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dameius posted:

I recently got a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 for extremely heavy use at work and mild use at home. Without doubling my buy in costs to get these, is there currently an amp out there that worth spending the money on? Like maybe the FiiO E6? I'm not dying to have one and am more just curious about my options than anything else.

Do they play loud enough for your taste?

From reading the specs, they're pretty easy headphones to drive, and there really shouldn't be any problem getting enough volume out of them. Unless you want to play significantly louder, an amp won't make any difference.

Which devices are you using to drive them?

Virtue posted:

I have a bit of a weird recommendation request. I've been using a pair of steelseries flux IEMs at work but the noise that it makes when I move my head and bump the cables is really distracting. Is there another pair of IEMs that handle motion a bit better? Preferably in the same price range because they're just being used with my phone (no amp) so I don't think it's worth getting something fancy. Would bluetooth be a good option?

It's called microphoning, and it is the bane of any IEM. Unfortunately, it is pretty much inescapable because of how they physically couple directly to your ears. Monitors with softer wires are a tiny bit less susceptible, but it's not a huge difference.

You can try clipping the wires to your shirt, so you have a nice curve or even loop of wire between the clip and the earplug itself, that usually helps a bit.

E: A set of bluetooth IEMs would also be a good solution.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 27, 2015

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

It's called microphoning, and it is the bane of any IEM. Unfortunately, it is pretty much inescapable because of how they physically couple directly to your ears. Monitors with softer wires are a tiny bit less susceptible, but it's not a huge difference.

You can try clipping the wires to your shirt, so you have a nice curve or even loop of wire between the clip and the earplug itself, that usually helps a bit.

E: A set of bluetooth IEMs would also be a good solution.

Sounds like Bluetooth might be the way to go. What are the current goon approved pairs?

Bluetooth headphones or headphones in general might be an ok option as well but I work in an open cubical and get the feeling that headphones will appear very unprofessional.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 27, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Virtue posted:

Sounds like Bluetooth might be the way to go. What are the current goon approved pairs?

Bluetooth headphones or headphones in general might be an ok option as well but I work in an open cubical and get the feeling that headphones will appear very unprofessional.

I have no idea what the current favorites are.

Why do you think wearing headphones would be seen as unprofessional? Especially in open cube environments, it's nice to have a bit of isolation from noise and chatter.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Impulse buying these Havi B3 Pro-I based on some head-fi reviews. Any opinions on them around here?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Virtue posted:

Run the cable up behind and over your ears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

grack posted:

Run the cable up behind and over your ears

And if that doesn't work and the cables are replaceable, try a different cable. Don't fall for the stupid audiophile crap but you can get cables with less microphonics for sure.