Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
What actually dies inside them? Is it bearings? Shaft?

I guess I'm wondering if its rebuild able.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fo3 posted:

What the gently caress is all this?
I don't even know which sub forum I am in any more.

In other news, ran out of fuel, had a long walk to fill up a jerry can. Now the ute has no power, cuts out under load, probably fuel pump dying.
I'll try the main filter first, but the pump has a fine strainer that may be blocked anyway, even if the pump isn't dying.

Procedure to get to fuel pump/strainer in a falcon ute:
Option 1. Put ute on hoist, disconnect prop shaft, handbrake, brakes etc and move rear axle back, remove fuel tank...

Option 2 remove tray liner, remove whole complete tray bed (in my case means canopy too)

Probably going for option 2 I guess as working under a car with no decent driveway is impossible.

If it makes you feel any better, any American or Japanese pickup works pretty much the same way, only bigger, in the case of the American, and some of the Japanese for America, pickups.

88h88 posted:

I understand the car payment but to spend that same amount again on internet and cable tv is loving crazy to me... If I were to get the fastest internet available to me along with the largest TV package with DVR functionality and free international calls from Sky it'd be £118 a month.

Which is almost US$180, not that much less then US$215.

I only have UVerse because my wife wanted the basic Discovery/Nat Geo type channels. We were getting along fine with Netflix for the last few years, but they offered UVerse for $29/month (more like $50 with all the fees and box rental bullshit.) I told her that the second the cheap intro is up, it goes away (no contract - whee!)
No actual landline, I'm using Ooma with my old number.

some texas redneck posted:

My minimum car payment is $215, but I try to throw at least $250-300 at it most months.

My cable/tv/phone bill are a little above $200. That's for 50mbit (both up and down), a shitton of channels, but goddamnit one person in the house refuses to learn how to use Windows Media Center. And hates the idea of "oh poo poo, we're pulling new wiring in the house".. and can't resist clicking any link that says "free". I've spent a couple of nights in a hotel just for suggesting "we should pull actual ethernet cable".

We've had our connection shut off twice in the past year due to botnets on his laptop. I've gone into the router and basically limited his laptop to HTTP, HTTPS, IMAP, and SMTP ports, and last time I fixed it, I told him it was the last time I'd ever touch his computer. Any time he starts shouting, we have a sudden ISP outage. :iiam: He used to take away my PC (which had one of the most popular BBS's in the city on it) when I pissed him off when I was 16, so turnabout is fair play, right? :shepicide:

Protip: if it says "free", DON'T loving CLICK ON IT YOU loving IDIOT.

I'd think that if you're paying the cable and internet bill, you have some right to , uh, manage it, I guess. I get that this is basically your "rent", but still...

InitialDave posted:

It's even better for me, because not having a TV means no TV licence, which pays for my Netflix twice over.

A TV license has always struck me as one of the more weird things ever, though I have to admit that it apparently funds better TV shows.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Holy poo poo, spent a straight 9 hours today cutting out an old, busted up concrete water main and replacing it with PVC piping with basically no breaks. So much for that day off :v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

HotCanadianChick posted:

We have several Cinetopias around here. Plush recliners and couches, ottomans to prop your feet on, a good restaurant that delivers your meal to your theater seat, extensive wine and beer menu, and you can even reserve private showings for you and your friends to have a whole theater to yourselves. It'a great.

which location is the best? i think i'll have to try this next time i'm in pdx for a weekend

Darchangel posted:

A TV license has always struck me as one of the more weird things ever, though I have to admit that it apparently funds better TV shows.

But did you know the UK government had special police vans to drive around and enforce licenses?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licence#mediaviewer/File:BLW_TV_Detector_Van.jpg

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 17, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

BraveUlysses posted:

But did you know the UK government had special police vans to drive around and enforce licenses?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licence#mediaviewer/File:BLW_TV_Detector_Van.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmyHup4TpkU&t=172s

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Goober Peas posted:

You've seen the size of his shoes, right

:quagmire:

For those who are on snapchat, Holdbrooks shoes are the same size as my dog Harry.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

goatse guy posted:

For those who are on snapchat, Holdbrooks shoes are the same size as my dog Harry.

Just wait till later when he shows you his dog, Willy.

iForge fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 17, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I dont want to see a dog willy imo

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

I picked up a 2009 WR250X last February and haven't ridden it nearly enough. It's likely going on local craigslist late February or Early March. Located in TN but could drive a couple hours if needed if either of you are interested.

drat would love to but it's probably gonna be awhile util I can afford one. How much are you gonna ask for it out of curiosity, because the few I've seen around here were way over priced.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Fucknag posted:

I dont want to see a dog willy imo

Come on guys don't be crude, we don't want to jinx the possibility of an AI goon/AI goon relationship.

If they decide to get married I think 13 should officiate, Viggen should give away the bride, TT can be the flower goon, IOwnCalculus will be the best man and HotCanadianChick will be the maid of honor. I'll be in the audience doing my best not to cry as they walk down the aisle together to a celebratory revving of loud engines. *sniff* AI love is so beautiful *sniff*

Location would be Circuit of Americas and party favors would be Jamal supplied miata, BMW and Subaru poly bushings.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I will set the traditional reception bonfire.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

But she lets me have ridiculous cars, so I won't bitch at all. Shes on board with a beater x-type or a convertible XK8/XKR. In fact, shes ok with any jaguar, as long as she can drive it, but still would rather have a convertible. She always can rock the messy pony tail.

The XKR is the supercharged V8 one, right? I have no idea how good they are but Ive always really liked them since I drove a brand new one in 2000 or so when I worked at the emissions station. I hope you get that one :)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

HotCanadianChick posted:

I'm vaguely surprised a car made this millennium is still using a distributor instead of a coil-on-plug setup. Do Honda engines that new actually have distributors on them? I owned a 2001 Civic for a couple years but I never had to mess with the ignition bits so I never really paid attention and don't really 100% remember what the underhood poo poo looked like, but I seem to recall it not having a dizzy and having coil packs on the plugs.

The Accord was the last Honda to use a distributor in the US - and it was only on the 4 cylinder, with 2002 being the last model year using one (the F23 was replaced with a K24 for 2003).

The Civic went to coil on plug in 2001; it had a distributor for 2000, despite both being a D series engine. Prelude and Integra* also both retained distributors until they were discontinued.

(The RSX is sold as an Integra in other parts of the world, but has a K series engine with coil on plug)

some_admin posted:

Daughter getting quoted ~550 for distributor for 2002 Honda accord. 160K miles
This is in ski town maybe only place in town (winter park).
This way out of line, and is a distributor the kind of thing that fails on that car?

Are you close to her? It's stupid easy to swap (about 10 minutes, with a slotted drive; you can't get it out of time by more than a few degrees), so you can swap it and time it by ear...then time it properly later. At that price, I would hope they're using a new OEM distributor. They shouldn't charge more than an hour of labor at the absolute max.

And yeah, they do fail from time to time. Usually it's just the ignitor module inside the distributor that fails though. Distributor still has to come off to replace it (easily, anyway), but I've had a couple fail completely.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
80's Subaru position 1:v::

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Also known as "80s-early 00s Honda clutch switch replacement position".

Except it's easier to just unbolt the seat and remove it. :haw:

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Yeah 80's DL. Who would have thunk it, it shat out a clutch cable.

AGAIN.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
That's also the same position you use if you need to remove the clutch master cylinder to rebuild it on an AE86.

BraveUlysses posted:

which location is the best? i think i'll have to try this next time i'm in pdx for a weekend

Don't know yet, as the only one I've been to so far is the Vancouver one, since it's the closest to me. The food and drinks are quite good there, far better than you'd expect from a movie theater (the restaurant has its own seating area for those who want food without a movie). The Vancouver one doesn't have the really huge IMAX style rooms that the other locations here do, so at some point I'll need to go cross town to try the other locations.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 17, 2015

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

HotCanadianChick posted:

That's also the same position you use if you need to remove the clutch master cylinder to rebuild it on an AE86.

Same for 90s Protege.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
If I somehow managed to attain that position I'd be hollering for help shortly thereafter.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
STR, your seemingly endless knowledge of Hondas always amazes me.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mariooncrack posted:

STR, your seemingly endless knowledge of Hondas always amazes me.

A bit of column A, a bit of column B.

Column A being more than a touch of OCD when it comes to knowing as much as I can about cars I own, column B being how many of them I've owned, and also how many friends have owned them.

The ones I've owned:

1988 Honda Accord LXi - sedan, 5 speed (got stolen)
1988 Honda Accord DX - coupe, 5 speed (roommate drove it after it popped a radiator hose, cracked the head)
1996 Honda Civic EX - coupe, 5 speed (ran low on oil, spun every bearing possible)
1991 Acura Integra LS - hatch, automatic (turned into a severe oil burner, PO had installed an adjustable FPR and had it running way too lean, burnt valves and had almost no compression on 2 cylinders when I got rid of it, but nailed over 40 mpg on road trips)
1995 Honda Civic EX - coupe, 5 speed (got smacked by an 18 wheeler, but sold the wreck for what I paid for it - $200)
2001 Honda Accord LX, sedan, 5 speed (vandalism that I'd rather not think about again)

Late 80s-early 00s Hondas were pretty much legos, you could mix and match so many parts. Especially between Integras and Civics; the chassis of the Civic was close enough that drat near any Integra part (sans body and some interior stuff) would just bolt on, right down to drivetrain stuff. A 93+ Prelude engine/transmission also bolts right into a 90-02 Accord, and the F and H series engines (F being 90-02 4 cylinder Accord, H being 92+ Prelude) even share the same bellhousing. A friend is running a 2001 Prelude automatic transmission in a 99 Accord with the stock engine and ECU/TCU, without swapping anything except the actual transmission; shifts a bit firmer, has more aggressive gearing, and really woke the car up a bit (but highway RPMs are now around 4000).

I won't touch newer Hondas, and IMO the 98-02 Accord was the ugliest ever...., but I would love to get another 2nd generation Integra, or another EG civic (92-95 coupe). Even on stock worn out suspension, even with the automatic, it was like a drat go-kart compared to anything else I've owned. And once you know one 80s/90s Honda, you know every 80s/90s Honda - everything is nearly identical between the B/D/F/H engine families in terms of technology, where poo poo is placed, etc. Though the A series in the 80s Accords was a loving nightmare thanks to all the vacuum lines.

B series was Integra and 1st gen CR-V, D was Civic, F was Accord, H was Prelude (85-91 Preludes used a B series, but it was in no way related to the later B series). Parts don't interchange between the families, but the designs are so similar that once you've looked at one, they're all identical when it comes to actually working on them.

edit: I spent WAY too much time on good Honda forums (mostly g2ic.com) :spergin:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jan 17, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

leica posted:

drat would love to but it's probably gonna be awhile util I can afford one. How much are you gonna ask for it out of curiosity, because the few I've seen around here were way over priced.
The amount people ask for them is stupid but they can be hard to find. If I remember right I paid $3200 for it, I'd sell it for the same. Of course I'll be listing it for $4k or so this spring and still be lower than a majority listed.

Think that's pretty much the "I'm going to be spending some time down here, better get comfortable" position. Did that in the Miata, several E30's and will be doing it later today in the 928.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I agree that old hondas are best hondas, as far as lego-esque ease of working on them. But I cant complain about my 08 civic (other than dbw ugh) and 2004 accord. K and R engines both, both are basically unbreakable tanks that cost pennies to maintain. The 08 civic is especially a fantastic handling little car for being a beigemobile/econobox.

I still wish I had just ponied up for a 4 door SI of the 08-11 variety, it would have been a little more money but I would enjoy the car a lot more.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Except it's easier to just unbolt the seat and remove it. :haw:

I wholeheartedly agree;Take 4 bolts out and it stops hurting. Ever since I got stuck for 45 minutes under my own dash I haven't done it any other way.

I won't touch newer Hondas, and IMO the 98-02 Accord was the ugliest ever....,
Uh no, those were the best looking Accord ever. Especially the coupe with the fake NSX taillights.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 17, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Darchangel posted:

Which is almost US$180, not that much less then US$215.

Yeah but did you miss the part of the post which mentioned that $180 is for basically the entire planet's TV/internet/phone call capacity? There's no way to go 'bigger' than that package, it is quite simply everything, and is still $35 cheaper. And $35 is $35...

I was basically trying to draw attention to the fact that $215 for TV and internet is loving crazy.

On another note I had some friends over last night and am now sporting a wicked hangover. Now I remember why I don't drink that much.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I spun some tires last night

Be careful if you're going to drive on the beach. Holy crap it was hard to get out of there.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

The amount people ask for them is stupid but they can be hard to find. If I remember right I paid $3200 for it, I'd sell it for the same. Of course I'll be listing it for $4k or so this spring and still be lower than a majority listed.

Yeah, something tells me I'm going to end up with a DRZ if I can't find one reasonably priced, but that's ok I guess.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Does anyone know of a good place to get a 98 Lincoln Continental FSM, or at least all the electrical stuff? I'd rather not have to probe the whole engine harness.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Dannywilson posted:

80's Subaru position 1:v::

This is why I paid for someone to do my clutch master/slave on my M3 a couple of months ago. I didn't feel like growing another elbow to contort myself where I need to be.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Mat_Drinks posted:

as they walk down the aisle together to a celebratory revving of loud engines. *sniff* AI love is so beautiful *sniff*

Bridal march on twin turbo Bridgeport rotaries :black101:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

leica posted:

Yeah, something tells me I'm going to end up with a DRZ if I can't find one reasonably priced, but that's ok I guess.

Just curious, why are you opting for a WR over a DRZ? I loved everything about my DRZ and have never been a fan of the WRs at all. I think they look goofy, and there's the whole 250 versus 400 part.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Wrar posted:

Does anyone know of a good place to get a 98 Lincoln Continental FSM, or at least all the electrical stuff? I'd rather not have to probe the whole engine harness.

Looks like there are a few on eBay, assuming you want a paper copy.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Wrar posted:

http://bbbind.com/free_tsb.html

Click the wiring button, make/model/year, choose subsystems. Usually the interesting stuff is under "instrument panel" and "engine - fuel controls"

This is what I use to plan basically every engine swap harness I do.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
My alcoholic brother is off the wagon again. My dad texted me this morning saying that the sheriff's office was looking for him after he pulled a hit-and-run on a CircleK. ON A loving CIRCLE K.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Alright, so this week has been super awesome so far.

Not only did I finish my Tech school HVAC/R course, I graduated from it top of my class. It's loving party time. :pcgaming:
Not only that, but my Uncle said he's calling some people from his old job at Lockheed-Martin and might be able to get me in there. Otherwise I've had some good leads too.t
I'd be happier if I had a job, but just finishing school already makes this years 10x better than last year.

Plus I get 24 college credits from finishing this course, so I'm talking with a guy at Valencia next week to get that all squared away.

:2015isawesome.gif

TRANS AM 20000
Apr 17, 2010

Time to punch it!

Praying for death after drinking too god drat much last night.

Time to do it all over again tonight.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

ExplodingSims posted:

:2015isawesome.gif

Got a bonus yesterday from 2014 being an excellent year at work. Celebrated by eating a whole rack of ribs, going to buy some new jeans today, and will be funding/starting my Roth IRA :iia:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

T-Square posted:

Just curious, why are you opting for a WR over a DRZ? I loved everything about my DRZ and have never been a fan of the WRs at all. I think they look goofy, and there's the whole 250 versus 400 part.

Having ridden both I'd opt for the DRZ, but goddamn have they skyrocketed in value.

Even clapped out 00's are selling for 3 grand here.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Sandbagger SA posted:

I spun some tires last night

Be careful if you're going to drive on the beach. Holy crap it was hard to get out of there.

I really need to play it again, but reading the changelong makes it sound like they've added a bunch of obnoxious, annoying features that nobody really asked for. Difflock damage that stalls your truck? Errrgh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

cursedshitbox posted:

Having ridden both I'd opt for the DRZ, but goddamn have they skyrocketed in value.

Even clapped out 00's are selling for 3 grand here.

You're also a big guy. I'd probably take the DRZ also, but if I was buying either one for just city riding and the occasional trail and never the highway, it'd be the 250.

• Locked thread