Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

It's also really cool and good that there are a significant number of Penn State fans who think that making sure a guy who covered up the rape of children gets wins back is important. Like at some point don't you think you would be like "hm, do I really need to defend this man who covered up child rape" but actually they really do want to defend and applaud a man who covered up child rape.

hypothetical: if evidence showing, beyond a reasonable doubt, that bear bryant was the zodiac killer were discovered, would his wins be vacated. if so, and if we accept that the ncaa has no authority to do so, then who vacates those wins. or do they stand because "the ncaa has no authority to punish criminal activity" trumps murder as well as serial child rape.

i mean i have a feeling bama would sooner disband as a university than vacate those wins but it's a thought experiment, just spitballing here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I'd give Penn state a million wins if it meant Mark Emmert got hit by a bus and died.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

wheez the roux posted:

i mean i have a feeling bama would sooner disband as a university than vacate those wins but it's a thought experiment, just spitballing here

Imagine a world without Alabama football. Dream of this utopia.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Crotch Bat posted:

Is there a book you're given when you get a HC job on any level that's just filled with nothing but quotes from famous people you can somehow half-assedly tie into motivating players?

You start hearing them when you're like 8 and they stick with you and you give them your own little spin when the time comes. I have a notebook full of them but it's kinda pointless because they're all permanently in my head anyway.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Detroit_Dogg posted:

You start hearing them when you're like 8 and they stick with you and you give them your own little spin when the time comes. I have a notebook full of them but it's kinda pointless because they're all permanently in my head anyway.

I'd buy a book of Detriot_Dogg aphorisms.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I can never retain movie quotes.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Thoguh posted:

I'd buy a book of Detriot_Dogg aphorisms.

I don't know the legality of printing a whole bunch of quotes and then finding out a bunch of them are from William Jennings Bryan and poo poo

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Crotch Bat posted:

Imagine Batman without the Joker. You want to be rid of Bama. But you just can't just kill it, because then it wins, knowing it has dragged you down to its level. You feel the absurd, noble need to defeat the Tide nobly! Alabama, on the other hand, have no such compunctions. If you got rid of Alabama, you'd miss it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

wheez the roux posted:

bear bryant was the zodiac killer were discovered

Unfortunately he was too busy losing to Vanderbilt the day Paul Lee Stine was killed, although losing to Vandy is probably probably good motive to randomly kill.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

JT Jag posted:

Imagine Batman without the Joker. You want to be rid of Bama. But you just can't just kill it, because then it wins, knowing it has dragged you down to its level. You feel the absurd, noble need to defeat the Tide nobly! Alabama, on the other hand, have no such compunctions. If you got rid of Alabama, you'd miss it.

Nope, kill Bama

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Crotch Bat posted:

Without Alabama, Auburn or LSU would simply rise up in their place

The more things change, the more they stay the same

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

You'd have to divide Bama into two Bamas, one that's ruled by the Big Ten and one that's ruled by the Big 12, like we had to do with Germany.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

JT Jag posted:

Sorry, Bama isn't ND.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Crotch Bat posted:

Sorry, Bama isn't ND.
Notre Dame went missing for 20 years and no one cared.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Jim Harbaugh is going to spontaneously combust

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011

Crotch Bat posted:

We are living in it. Ohio State is on top of the college world and King Cardale is holding press conferences affirming his loyalty.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

Jim Harbaugh is going to spontaneously combust
http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2015/01/jim_harbaugh_the_grinder_and_h_1.html?utm_medium=twitter

quote:

"When I first met him, I honestly thought a lot of it was an act, it was like a robot who was programmed as a football coach," says Ben Muth, who played offensive tackle for Harbaugh at Stanford. "It's absurd stuff, but he believes it all. And after a while, so do you. Just the way he talks, his cadence and his deliverance. He talks like a normal football coach, but kicked up 50 percent and he's always on.

"He once explained his life to us, how simple it was: 'You're born, you play football for as long as they let you, you coach football and then you die.' That's coach Harbaugh. That's who he is."

[...]
"He's almost unbelievable when you first hear him," says J.T. Rogan, Harbaugh's top running back at San Diego. "He says this stuff, and as a kid, you're like 'what's the psychology here, what is he thinking?' He's just maniacally competitive. ... His dad always says 'every day you're either getting better or getting worse. So he's always sort of carrying out his family mantra.

"But he puts it on steroids."
I think you are right.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

All we can do is hope.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

JT Jag posted:

Speaking of, it's the two year anniversary of the catfish thing breaking

quote:

Sept. 22, 2012: Kekua's funeral takes place in Carson, Calif. (The Associated Press puts it in "Carson City, Calif.," which does not exist.) Te'o skips the funeral, saying Kekua had insisted that he not miss a game (Los Angeles Times). Her casket is closed at 9 a.m. Pacific time,according to Te'o. That night, Notre Dame beats Michigan, 13-6, to go to 4-0, the school's best start in a decade. Te'o intercepts two passes. After the game, he says of Lennay: "All she wanted was some white roses. So I sent her roses and sent her two picks along with that." Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly awards the game ball to Lennay Kekua, handing it to Te'o to "take back to Hawaii."

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

JT Jag posted:

People cheered for Bama against ND. Overwhelmingly so, too.

That pretty much ends the discussion.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Crotch Bat posted:

People cheered for Bama against ND. Overwhelmingly so, too.

That pretty much ends the discussion.

And they were right to do so. People should even root for Penn State over ND.

Butthead
May 31, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

And they were right to do so. People should even root for Penn State over ND.

Catholic church has raped more little boys than Penn State.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

wheez the roux posted:

hypothetical: if evidence showing, beyond a reasonable doubt, that bear bryant was the zodiac killer were discovered, would his wins be vacated. if so, and if we accept that the ncaa has no authority to do so, then who vacates those wins. or do they stand because "the ncaa has no authority to punish criminal activity" trumps murder as well as serial child rape.

Why would Bear Bryant being the Zodiac killer mean that his wins need to be vacated? Unless he was murdering recruits during the dead period I don't see how the two are related.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
A better comparison would be if like Ken Donahue or Schnelly was the Zodiak Killer, and he was killing kids on Bama's campus, and Bear Bryant knew about it but didn't really care and let him carry on murdering folk while running Ken Donahue's Happy Fun Time Not Murdering You Foundation to protect his program from the awful public relations that would undoubtedly follow.

Butthead
May 31, 2011
If you raped a young boy in the bathroom of your employment office, your employer might take away your employee of the month awards.

I think that settles the argument. Can we talk about Cardale some more?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Frackie Robinson posted:

Why would Bear Bryant being the Zodiac killer mean that his wins need to be vacated? Unless he was murdering recruits during the dead period I don't see how the two are related.

That's the point he's making about Paterno. The crimes that were committed deserved to be prosecuted by the police, but the NCAA really didn't have any authority to come in and punish the school.

Butthead posted:

I think that settles the argument. Can we talk about Cardale some more?

He owns. He was on Dan Patrick this morning and was great. I honestly don't know who I want to win the starting job at this point.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Oh man if only there was a place to talk about this poo poo

like a thread I created with no intention of ever looking at again

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

wheez the roux posted:

It's further revealed that those killings helped America surge ahead technologically by him killing secretly a terror group sent back in time to destroy the world and is then given a title championship for every murder

Pays

To be

Bama

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

JT Jag posted:

Agreed. Winning the title this year was 10x better after beating Alabama. It wouldn't have been the same if Ole Miss or UGA had been the SEC champ. The world needs villains and not incompetent ones like Notre Dame.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Yeah but as far as a lot of us are concerned, FSU, Bama, and Ohio State were the villains this year. So the bad guys still won and the world is still gray

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Child Rape: Not an NCAA Violation.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
So does the NCAA not have a rule against covering up criminal activity that would have a negative PR affect on the school and thus impact recruiting? Because if they don't, then they should.

Fussy Dutchman
Jul 29, 2008
The only team I wouldn't throw in the villains pile out of this playoff was Oregon. Every other team has been historically successful, while Oregon is only like a junior villain.

Did Oregon ever get in any trouble for that Willie Lyles handler payoff poo poo? How is that not worse than free tattoos?

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Pakled posted:

So does the NCAA not have a rule against covering up criminal activity that would have a negative PR affect on the school and thus impact recruiting? Because if they don't, then they should.

The NCAA rulebook is actually just a candle's flame interpreted through a pile of green jello, so it can basically mean anything it wants depending on how the high priests see it on one particular day.

One tutor helps some dudes cheat and no one in the athletic department has a clue about it? VACATE A SEASON AND LOSE A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP IN TRACK.

Some dudes trade poo poo for free tattoos? GET OUT OF COACHING YOU SON OF A BITCH YOU HAVE DESTROYED THE SANCTITY OF OUR GAME >counts up billions and billions of dollars<

Coaching staff and administration orchestrate a cover-up of child rape for more than a decade? WELL LET'S NOT BE *TOO* HARSH NOW, I MEAN, COME ON, IT'S NOT LIKE SOMEONE CHEATED IN AN ONLINE COURSE.

aka it's a total loving farce.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Fussy Dutchman posted:

The only team I wouldn't throw in the villains pile out of this playoff was Oregon. Every other team has been historically successful, while Oregon is only like a junior villain.

Did Oregon ever get in any trouble for that Willie Lyles handler payoff poo poo? How is that not worse than free tattoos?

Chip Kelly might need to get show-caused if he wants to coach NCAA, and Oregon lost a single scholarship for ~2 years.

NCAA is actually pretty lenient if you are 100% up front about your violations

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KKKLIP ART posted:

Yeah but as far as a lot of us are concerned, FSU, Bama, and Ohio State were the villains this year. So the bad guys still won and the world is still gray

2/3 ain't so bad, especially when the deck is stacked from the get-go.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Crotch Bat posted:

the trophy case would still be empty fyi

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Cardale Jones did the impossible and made me cheer for OSU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I totally understand why a bunch of people find the OSU fanbase insufferable but this current team actually owns a whole lot and if they were in any other unis, they'd be universally loved.

• Locked thread