Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

radical meme posted:

Are they going to follow through on the idea to have guys like Mark Levin and Rush moderate some of these debates?

I'm guessing that's what they mean with the "conservative media debate" that is still being scheduled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh gently caress yes :getin:

Could it possibly be as magical and wonderful as it was in the halcyon days of 2013? Will there ever be another Space Admiral Bachmann in our hearts?

The mention of sky admiral Bachmann reminds me of ANDERSON ANDERSON ANDERSON ANDERSON from the same debate, I couldn't say which one was better :allears:.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Same debate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6jvcMEG6kg

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Joementum posted:

RNC sanctioned debate schedule:

1. Fox News, August 2015, Ohio
2. CNN, September 2015, California
3. CNBC, October 2015, Colorado
4. Fox Business, November 2015, Wisconsin
5. CNN, December 2015, Nevada
6. Fox News, January 2016, Iowa
7. ABC News, February 2016, New Hampshire
8. CBS News, February 2016, South Carolina
9. NBC/Telemundo, February 2016, Florida

Three additional debates are pending: A Fox News debate in March 2016, a CNN debate in March 2016 and a conservative media debate.

No MSNBC debates, quelle surprise!

Am I correct in thinking that Debate #2 in California in September is the already announced Reagan Library debate? I guess they were smart enough to blink on the question of whether or not that would count as an approved debate.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Thanks for the debate list, Joementum. Could you put it in the OP to save us hunting around for it later? Thanks.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

baw posted:

What happened to the RNC trying to minimize the number of debates?

They understand that, in our social media environment, a debate a month keeps frontrunners in the headlines and increases voter turnout come the fall.

Unfortunately, there isn't a contentious Democratic primary.

E:

My prediction? If Romney shows, first 3 or 4 debates will use him as a convenient punching bag until he drops out. Holding the debates so early likely knocks out good candidates with WH vision, such as Rauner.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 16, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Jackson Taus posted:

Am I correct in thinking that Debate #2 in California in September is the already announced Reagan Library debate? I guess they were smart enough to blink on the question of whether or not that would count as an approved debate.

I assume you're correct.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Thanks for the debate list, Joementum. Could you put it in the OP to save us hunting around for it later? Thanks.

Yes.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

My Imaginary GF posted:

They understand that, in our social media environment, a debate a month keeps frontrunners in the headlines and increases voter turnout come the fall.

Unfortunately, there isn't a contentious Democratic primary.

I'd just like to remind you that your schtick is dumb and nobody likes you.

One of the main reasons your schtick is so stupid is obviously there are narratives where a debate a month would do just what you say, but there's also times it would depress voter turnout and keep the wrong names in the headlines for a long time.

This is real obvious.

Again, though, my main point here, in case you missed it: You have a dumb schtick, and it's also one that makes you--really both the fake you and the real you--unlikeable. You should stop.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Joementum posted:

Obama's approval rating is intersting because the recent uptick is undoubtedly due to the perception of him acting on issues after multiple years of inaction from Congress, but action also creates division. If you do things, some people will not like those things. He'll need to continue acting while walking the line of not acting too much to sustain those numbers.

Maybe I'm just being too cynical, but the thought occurred to me this morning that some of the stuff that the President has been proposing lately as red blue meat to moderate-progressives is exactly because an opposition-controlled Congress will never act on it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Which of the debates will be held as a Google Hangout?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Nth Doctor posted:

Maybe I'm just being too cynical, but the thought occurred to me this morning that some of the stuff that the President has been proposing lately as red blue meat to moderate-progressives is exactly because an opposition-controlled Congress will never act on it.

The opposition has been in the same position to block progressively legislation since January 2011

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ugh, eight months until the first Republican debate? The GOP is loving me again!

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Joementum posted:

RNC sanctioned debate schedule:

2. CNN, September 2015, California
3. CNBC, October 2015, Colorado
4. Fox Business, November 2015, Wisconsin
5. CNN, December 2015, Nevada
6. Fox News, January 2016, Iowa
7. ABC News, February 2016, New Hampshire
8. CBS News, February 2016, South Carolina
9. NBC/Telemundo, February 2016, Florida

Three additional debates are pending: A Fox News debate in March 2016, a CNN debate in March 2016 and a conservative media debate.

No MSNBC debates, quelle surprise!

9 debates and change on the GOP side alone?? Oh god I'm rock loving hard right now

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

9 debates and change on the GOP side alone?? Oh god I'm rock loving hard right now

It's half of what it was in 2012. :(

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

Oh man, such a short wait :munch:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

My Imaginary GF posted:

My prediction? If Romney shows, first 3 or 4 debates will use him as a convenient punching bag until he drops out. Holding the debates so early likely knocks out good candidates with WH vision, such as Rauner.

Yes, if only the debates weren't so early your man Rauner totally would have won. Really sucks about the early debates, guess the people are really losing out. Next time, man, next time.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's half of what it was in 2012. :(

How many had been planned at this point in 2011? Debates have a tendency to just spring up, especially when you gather a bunch of power hungry narcisissts and an audience that absolutely adores empty rhetoric and attempts at one-upmanship.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Gyges posted:

Yes, if only the debates weren't so early your man Rauner totally would have won. Really sucks about the early debates, guess the people are really losing out. Next time, man, next time.

He's running, only question is when. You don't lay down $30 mil of your own cash for improving the IL Governor's Mansion and lobbying the state lege for northing.

Ask a statehouse reporter, Chicago journalist, or anyone who shares a board position with Diane--Bruce wants the White House, and he's willing to work with Democrats to win it. Christy without the bloat and mob ties, if you will.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

How many had been planned at this point in 2011? Debates have a tendency to just spring up, especially when you gather a bunch of power hungry narcisissts and an audience that absolutely adores empty rhetoric and attempts at one-upmanship.

The RNC has imposed rules which disqualify from the official debates those candidates who participate in unofficial/unsanctioned debates. It remains to be seen if they will successfully enforce this.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Martin O'Malley won't be challenging Hillary. He's starting as a Visiting Professor at the Johns Hopkins University business school on February 2.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Joementum posted:

Martin O'Malley won't be challenging Hillary. He's starting as a Visiting Professor at the Johns Hopkins University business school on February 2.

Is Biden doing anything to indicate he might run?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I am trying to picture an MSNBC debate ending any other way than Rick Perry putting a Derringer bullet into Chris Matthews' leg.

e: completely by accident

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

I liked O'Malley but if he's going to teach a business school I guess someone else will be getting my vote.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

He's running, only question is when. You don't lay down $30 mil of your own cash for improving the IL Governor's Mansion and lobbying the state lege for northing.

Ask a statehouse reporter, Chicago journalist, or anyone who shares a board position with Diane--Bruce wants the White House, and he's willing to work with Democrats to win it. Christy without the bloat and mob ties, if you will.

Just because someone "wants" the White House doesn't mean they're a credible candidate. See Huntsman, Pawlenty, Kaisch, etc.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

sullat posted:

Just because someone "wants" the White House doesn't mean they're a credible candidate. See Huntsman, Pawlenty, Kaisch, etc.

Counterpoint: Mitt happened. When you're a billionaire and you want in the White House, nobody's going to stop you from selling yourself as a credible candidate. Attack you on it, sure; stop you?

Mitt's happening.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

My Imaginary GF posted:

I'm sure he really wants it. But no matter how many contractors he hires to build himself a platform, it won't be ready by 2016. You can't make a run when you'd have only been in your only elected office for 18 months come Convention.

SedanChair posted:

I am trying to picture an MSNBC debate ending any other way than Rick Perry putting a Derringer bullet into Chris Matthews' leg.

e: completely by accident

Aren't Derringers too small to put a laser sight on?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Gyges posted:

You can't make a run when you'd have only been in your only elected office for 18 months come Convention.

Whatever you say, Hillary '08.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

My Imaginary GF posted:

Whatever you say, Hillary '08.

Obama had been a senator for over 3 years when the convention came around. And a state senator for over 7 years before that.

Edit: Unless you mean Hillary herself? Because she'd been a senator for over 7 years at the time of the convention.

Idran fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 17, 2015

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012

Obdicut posted:

I'd just like to remind you that your schtick is dumb and nobody likes you.

One of the main reasons your schtick is so stupid is obviously there are narratives where a debate a month would do just what you say, but there's also times it would depress voter turnout and keep the wrong names in the headlines for a long time.

This is real obvious.

Again, though, my main point here, in case you missed it: You have a dumb schtick, and it's also one that makes you--really both the fake you and the real you--unlikeable. You should stop.

You should really make a recurring monthly calendar item to repost this. Maybe even every 2 weeks. No need to change anything in the wording, just paste it in. It'll always be relevant...

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012

Joementum posted:

That's too bad, would have liked to see him in it. Guess maybe he's looking at going for Mikulski's Senate seat she retires instead.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
What if the RNC debates invited Obama to come and debate then when he expectedly declines they place an empty chair on the stage and ask it questions in between candidate questions?

My campaign consulting firm is available for a modest price.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lote posted:

What if the RNC debates invited Obama to come and debate then when he expectedly declines they place an empty chair on the stage and ask it questions in between candidate questions?

My campaign consulting firm is available for a modest price.

Sounds good, but you need a twist. How about the Secret Service detain Dr. Ben Carson and Obama places a bet with Biden on how long he can stand at Carson's podium during the debate before any of the other candidates notice the difference. Biden's stipulation is that Obama can only quote Herman Cain for purposes of the bet.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Joementum posted:

That's official confirmation she's running, isn't it?

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.

Adar posted:

For God's sake yes she's running.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2016/democrat-candidate

Looking at the three front runners according to the bookmakers; Bush, Rubio and Christie. How are they supposed to make it through the primary without repelling the people they're supposed to get, i.e latinos and moderates. I just don't see it.

bpower fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 17, 2015

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

bpower posted:

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2016/democrat-candidate

Looking at the three front runners according to the bookmakers; Bush, Rubio and Christie. How are they supposed to make it through the primary without repelling the people they're supposed to get, i.e latinos and moderates. I just don't see it.

Rubio's done, he's toast. He has no base and the Party is hanging him out to dry. I really can't see where cottonmouth is going to draw his support from.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Daduzi posted:

I really can't see where cottonmouth is going to draw his support from.

Hmm, if only Romney's veep search had given out snake code names instead of fishes.

Granted, it's still hilarious they defaulted to giving him "Pescado".

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Adar posted:

That and John Podesta is leaving the White House next month to work for her.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?

quote:

“Under President Obama, the rich have gotten richer, income inequality has gotten worse and there are more people in poverty than ever before,” Romney said. “Under this president, his policies have not worked. Their liberal policies are good every four years for a campaign, but they don’t get the job done.”

In his last campaign, Romney was hampered by an image, pushed by the Democrats, that he was a wealthy business executive who was out of touch with ordinary Americans. On Friday, he seemed determined to send a signal that he would try to deal with that problem from the start, should he run.

“It’s a tragedy -- a human tragedy – that the middle class in this country by and large doesn’t believe the future won’t be better than the past or their kids will have a brighter future of their own,” Romney said. He added, “People want to see rising wages and they deserve them.”

As with others in his party, he raised the issue of social mobility and the difficulty of those at the bottom from rising into the middle class. He cited former president Lyndon B. Johnson’s War on Poverty half a century ago. Johnson’s intentions were good, he said, but his policies had not worked. He argued that Republicans must persuade voters that conservative policies can “end the scourge of poverty” in America.

You realize that, if he runs, we're going to get Willard Mitt Romney debating Rand on whose strain is more pure. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

The Chore Wheel is part and parcel of the Mormon upbringing. And being a fat gently caress at buffets. That's the only style we really knew how to cook in - weekly weddings, baptisms, funerals, scouts, camping trips, seminaries, activity days, singles ward, basketball games, birthdays, holidays demanded that kind of poo poo.

E: that said holy gently caress I hate Romney. My church's income inequality was so loving blatant growing up that it's no wonder I went LF. Romney and his like literally believe they have right over the poor and they are disgusting fucks for It while wanting for Cadillacs and WonderBread. The worst loving people.

Armani fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 17, 2015

• Locked thread