Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Someone say there's no points creep in 40k so I can post some scans of rulebooks that have 40 point Space Marine Bikers and 35 point Eldar Jetbikes (those figures could be wrong and are an approximation because my brain is a networked core of seven hundred cicada cerebrums).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

TKIY posted:

Just a guess, but we keep hearing that FW stuff will be in GW stores, this could be the push needed to get a bunch pre-assembled for painting and delivery.

Maybe if they were hiring a hundred people. We've been hearing that for years and it's never ever going to happen.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Post 9-11 User posted:

Someone say there's no points creep in 40k so I can post some scans of rulebooks that have 40 point Space Marine Bikers and 35 point Eldar Jetbikes (those figures could be wrong and are an approximation because my brain is a networked core of seven hundred cicada cerebrums).

There is no points creep in 40k.

Meh, it's like 8th edition fantasy. Everyone in my area complained about needing more models and started running 2400 points instead of 2000 points because of some idiots on the internet.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
A long time (a month or so) back, I complained about miniwargaming.com's Dave based battle reports as being way too hyper and unwatchable. I've recently watched some of his narrative campaign missions for his chaos rejects, and they are way more enjoyable than I was expecting. So I guess there's nothing I actively dislike about miniwargaming.com now, and I'll be happy to keep paying them to make narrative campaigns for me to watch.

If you haven't been following the GW death thread, I recommend clicking this link and reading Leperflesh's well thought out and well composed posts. Those are easily the highlight of the serious parts of that thread and I thought I'd share them. It was very funny having Hollis post immediately after Leperflesh and make the exact opposite point to really drive home how correct Leperflesh is.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Post 9-11 User posted:

Ultramarine bikes were 47 ppm and Eldar jetbikes were 31 ppm with 36 for a Shrieker :v:

e: Blood Claw bikes were 46 and Ravenwing were 55(!)

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 17, 2015

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It's not filez to post old points costs since it's not like they could even be used in the current game. Mods have come in and said they generally don't give a poo poo even if it's modern anyway, so none of that "this costs 8 stormbolters" crap you see on Warseer or whatever.

Post 9-11 User posted:

Uh, smart players know that point costs have not gone down so you clearly miscalculated and are not smart it is likely that you are dumb.

Considering how hard it will be to find every one of those models, why not cut it down to a 500 point force or a 400 point 40k In 40 Minutes force?
They really aren't that hard to find. 2nd ed Space Marines can be bought for less than modern ones on eBay, just takes a little work.

Cataphract posted:

Here's some of my 2nd ed blood Angels.

I painted these nearly 20 years ago... Jesus Christ.
Hell yes

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I've got probably 20 WD's from the mid-90's the early 2000's so I'll see about scanning them in, let people have a chance to see the insanity of yore.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Question for the 30k crowd. If I decided to be a crazy person and start a 30k/30k in 40k mechanicus list, about how many points would I have to start with in this bundle?

It'd be a slow grow project anyway, so I figure I can run an allied Detatchment for my DA or something if necessary depending on the overall cost.

EDIT: also considering the Archmagos and the nine thallax bundle.

Dulkor fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jan 17, 2015

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
If you pimp the Magos then mayyyyybe 750.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Not bad at all for an allied detatchment/starter then. Thanks!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's not even a legal force--it only has 1 tac squad, split into two combat squads (they did the same with the Devastator squad).

If the BA book works like the proper Marines book, you can take two 5-man Tac Squads. :)

And having a quick look through my odds and ends I seem to have a reasonable chunk of those minis. Am tempted to make some retro red to go with my retro green.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
The new BA codex does work like that so it could be legal.

Zark if you were serious in doing that I have quite a few 2nd edition marines I could let you have. I have that dev sgt and the old Tycho and due to my mild disappointment with the new codex am not rushing to use them for anything. I have dug out my rogue trader stuff and was going to PM you as I promised in the summer but if you want 2nd edition stuff I do have a few other bits you are welcome to.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Vondizimo posted:

So it looks like Forge World are hiring someone to do nothing but assemble kits for a few months.

Is this because they're swamped with new releases that need webstore shots done or because they've all had enough trying to put together warped super heavies? :v:

I would bet money this is for a massive new diorama like the dropsite massacre. The new Horus Heresy event is, I think, in a few months:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I imagine that after they're done taking photos, they do a roll off, winner goes first and they pick up from where the models stand.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Post 9-11 User posted:

1st ed. Land raiders cost more than 700 points.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

HardCoil posted:

1st ed. Land raiders cost more than 700 points.
Tactical Marines also used to cost 17ppm for a Bolter and Power Armour in 4th ed. Now they're 14ppm, with free frag/krak grenades and a bolt pistol (which is 3-4 points of extra wargear, based on their 4th edition pricing).

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Yeah, Orks now get grenades too!!!

They should bring back stickbommas who can each lug a grenade that scatters 12". Small blast templates everywhere.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Zark the Damned posted:

If the BA book works like the proper Marines book, you can take two 5-man Tac Squads. :)

And having a quick look through my odds and ends I seem to have a reasonable chunk of those minis. Am tempted to make some retro red to go with my retro green.

Oh snap, you're right!

Post 9-11 User posted:

There's not really a points creep. They halved the cost of most units for third edition (marines went from 30 pts to 15 pts), but haven't lowered standard point costs much since about 1998.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

BULBASAUR posted:

I would bet money this is for a massive new diorama like the dropsite massacre. The new Horus Heresy event is, I think, in a few months:

MSRP $987,000.99

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
put the number in pounds and marvel at how cheap it becomes

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Dude on Facebook has painted the celestial lions... All of them

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Yeah fuckin right i could paint all the celestial lions with the extra bits in my closet there's like four of them.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

God I'd be loving tired of painting marines after about 60 of them. Even with an airbrush that would take forever.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cataphract posted:

That's pretty cool! I'm working on collecting all of Hive Fleet Leviathan myself. 30 gaunts done, 12 million to go!

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Cataphract posted:

What, the Lions only have one Thunderhawk?
What a lazy rear end in a top hat.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Cataphract posted:

Thats cool as hell

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Cataphract posted:

I wonder if he just keeps that photo of him and his wife around to see what he's lost due to the amount of time he must have spent on those models. Still kick rear end.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Yeah fuckin right i could paint all the celestial lions with the extra bits in my closet there's like four of them.

:golfclap:

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

Slimnoid posted:

I spent most of last night working on this banner and I'm pretty happy with it.

I need to toss some matte varnish on it, and I might give it a watered-down later of white glue over it since it's poster board and I want it to last, but it's pretty much done.

Would you mind going over how you did the star field for the background? I'm planning on basing my fleet based ships by just doing what you did but I can't find any decent guides - my google fu is weak.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Bavius posted:

Would you mind going over how you did the star field for the background? I'm planning on basing my fleet based ships by just doing what you did but I can't find any decent guides - my google fu is weak.

Sure thing! It's pretty simple, though it does require having an airbrush.

1. Base it black.
2. Spray white circles with VMA White, with a bit of overspray for stars.
3. Went over one white circles with Minitaire Ghost Tint Plasma Fluid, and two more with Ghost Tint Purple. I don't bother with being careful here, so if it gets a little messy around the edges that's fine.
4. Switch back to VMA White and overspray, holding the airbrush along the side and away from the banner. Quick spritz causes the paint to fire off like a shotgun, creating more stars, which is important because the application of ghost tint hides a lot of them. You can also collect it on your finger and 'flick' it, but I can't seem to get that technique down without causing huge blobs of paint.
5. Seal with matte varnish once everything is fully dry.

And that's it! A lot of this I learned off of Youtube from various space painting videos, the kind where people do them with spray cans over poster board. I'm not yet skilled enough to do planets like they do, and I'm not even sure it's possible on such a small scale without changing techniques radically, but for quick and dirty star fields it works wonders.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You load up a paintbrush with white paint, hover it over the surface, and hit it with another paintbrush to splatter paint everywhere. Just don't overload the brush or else it will drip while you hold it over the surface and strike harder for a greater density of stars.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Star Man posted:

You load up a paintbrush with white paint, hover it over the surface, and hit it with another paintbrush to splatter paint everywhere. Just don't overload the brush or else it will drip while you hold it over the surface and strike harder for a greater density of stars.

I've also tried that and I dunno, I have no luck with it. That's just me personally, and I've seen people do it no problem. Just one of those things I can't seem to get the hang of, like two-brush blending.

Slimnoid fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 17, 2015

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Slimnoid posted:

I've also tried that and I dunno, I have no luck with it. That's just me personally, and I've seen people do it no problem. Just one of those things I can't seem to get the hang of, like two-brush blending.

It's something that I learned how to do on canvas and know that other painters do it. You need just enough paint on a brush to get it to fly off after hitting it and apply in little bits at a time.

Meanwhile, I am still stupified about the idea of painting cast shadows and highlights on three-dimensional objects.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Star Man posted:

It's something that I learned how to do on canvas and know that other painters do it. You need just enough paint on a brush to get it to fly off after hitting it and apply in little bits at a time.

Meanwhile, I am still stupified about the idea of painting cast shadows and highlights on three-dimensional objects.

That's just different art backgrounds at work! I used to draw, a lot--inking was my specialty--but I never really learned how to color very well on a 2-D image. 3-D stuff like miniatures however, are another story, and I really grasped that pretty quickly.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's haaaappening, a mixture of worried and excited.

Things I want
1. Fix to Tomb blades, up their squad size
2. Flayed ones not being lovely
3. Gauss fix

Rumour making the rounds that Gauss weapons are just double ST on rolls of 6s to hit.. that would be uh pretty powerful.

Also this guy's painting blog is insanely awesome

http://dobrakonsystencja.blogspot.co.uk/search?updated-max=2014-06-27T12:24:00-07:00&max-results=7&start=7&by-date=false

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 17, 2015

Perfect World
Jan 16, 2009

Hollismason posted:

It's haaaappening, a mixture of worried and excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6E3xem_c2w

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
A book called Deathblade, about the character Malus Darkblade. That's even better than the Murder Sword which has the special rule: Murder.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I've painted most of the Crimson Fists, which is basically just a company and a buncha veterans. I need to paint one Dev squad and the 2nd company's complete, god knows if I'll ever do it though.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

Slimnoid posted:

Sure thing! It's pretty simple, though it does require having an airbrush.

1. Base it black.
2. Spray white circles with VMA White, with a bit of overspray for stars.
3. Went over one white circles with Minitaire Ghost Tint Plasma Fluid, and two more with Ghost Tint Purple. I don't bother with being careful here, so if it gets a little messy around the edges that's fine.
4. Switch back to VMA White and overspray, holding the airbrush along the side and away from the banner. Quick spritz causes the paint to fire off like a shotgun, creating more stars, which is important because the application of ghost tint hides a lot of them. You can also collect it on your finger and 'flick' it, but I can't seem to get that technique down without causing huge blobs of paint.
5. Seal with matte varnish once everything is fully dry.

And that's it! A lot of this I learned off of Youtube from various space painting videos, the kind where people do them with spray cans over poster board. I'm not yet skilled enough to do planets like they do, and I'm not even sure it's possible on such a small scale without changing techniques radically, but for quick and dirty star fields it works wonders.

Thank you for the breakdown, going to give it a shot now.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Hollismason posted:

I wonder if he just keeps that photo of him and his wife around to see what he's lost due to the amount of time he must have spent on those models. Still kick rear end.

The guy actually got married half way through completing the full chapter haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SRM posted:

A book called Deathblade, about the character Malus Darkblade. That's even better than the Murder Sword which has the special rule: Murder.

Malus Darkblade is pretty bad rear end. Though I'm not sure how you could write a book about him at this point. He dead.

• Locked thread