Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
movax
Aug 30, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

It's really, really easy in expensive cities and if you have an active social circle. I mean poo poo here's a Chicago example:
Tu/F/Sa : 2 drinks tuesday, 3 fri, 4 saturday. Beers are 8 bucks each on average. 72 bucks a week for just beers.
Now think if you get a cocktail or two, or drink heavily or more frequently - I've had years where I went out 5 nights a week (but carried a flask, the BFC approved choice). So let's say heavy drinker, 4 nights a week (so 4,4,6,10 drinks for 24 a week), and 10 bucks on average including tip. 240 bucks a week. Just under 1k a month. If you get cocktails and go to the prime happening places, or live in NYC/SF it'd easily be double that.

vvvv I'm just explaining how it's very easy to do when one's social life revolves around going out and having drinks v0v

I cut way back on my going out (now down to 1 or 2x a week, and in moderation) from maybe 3-4x a week. I'd run up a ~$40-$50 tab easily by myself -- Seattle, and I like good whisky + cocktails. $1k is excessive, but I can see a few hundred easily, especially if you include going out to get dinners and such along with the booze budget.

But now I have more money in my pockets, I'm healthier, and the bartenders still like me since I spent far too much money with them earlier. v0v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I know we already have one guy with a Disney-obsessed coworker in this thread, and I've mentioned a close friend of mine who is otherwise reasonably well-traveled yet loves to go with her mom or whole family a couple times per year, not because of sentimental attachment as a child, but because "going there is like seeing the best of humanity all in once place".

Now a friend of a friend who is Disney/comic convention/tabletop gaming/movie/etc. obsessed has just announced on Facebook that he passed his Disney courses for travel agent training. I have no idea what that means or what poor fools end up paying for said courses (and poor clients who buy packages from agents of these courses)... but I can't imagine any shred of it is BFC approved. I can almost guarantee he's using this to somehow earn discounted trips to Disney for his family for the MAGIC it brings. Think of the return on investment!

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

SpelledBackwards posted:

I know we already have one guy with a Disney-obsessed coworker in this thread, and I've mentioned a close friend of mine who is otherwise reasonably well-traveled yet loves to go with her mom or whole family a couple times per year, not because of sentimental attachment as a child, but because "going there is like seeing the best of humanity all in once place".

Now a friend of a friend who is Disney/comic convention/tabletop gaming/movie/etc. obsessed has just announced on Facebook that he passed his Disney courses for travel agent training. I have no idea what that means or what poor fools end up paying for said courses (and poor clients who buy packages from agents of these courses)... but I can't imagine any shred of it is BFC approved. I can almost guarantee he's using this to somehow earn discounted trips to Disney for his family for the MAGIC it brings. Think of the return on investment!

Pretty sure the Disney Travel Agent thing is an MLM scheme

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
It always astounds me how much money my friends spend on alcohol. Several hundred dollars a month on craft beers alone. Then add liquor for home and bar tabs. These guys aren't exactly making a lot of money either.

Meanwhile, I don't drink at all. This is fantastic for my wallet and physical health, but is often so socially crippling that it feels like a "good with money, bad with life" sort of thing.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
On this topic of spending insane amounts of money on vices, my roommate's weed consumption has hit an all-time high. His dealer has reported that my roommate spends about $800-1000 a month.

My total living expenses are barely $1000 a month.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Rick Rickshaw posted:

On this topic of spending insane amounts of money on vices, my roommate's weed consumption has hit an all-time high. His dealer has reported that my roommate spends about $800-1000 a month.

I've never spent that much even when I was flipping it.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Rudager posted:

Pretty sure the Disney Travel Agent thing is an MLM scheme

Disney Travel Agent training is a legit thing in the travel industry. They offer massive industry discounts if you take courses that let you market their properties better. I work for a big travel company and after I get my industry ID card, can complete some of their courses to get 50% off all resort stays. Which I mean I'm not all that interested in, but just wanted to say it's definitely a legit thing at some level.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Kefit posted:

It always astounds me how much money my friends spend on alcohol. Several hundred dollars a month on craft beers alone. Then add liquor for home and bar tabs. These guys aren't exactly making a lot of money either.

Meanwhile, I don't drink at all. This is fantastic for my wallet and physical health, but is often so socially crippling that it feels like a "good with money, bad with life" sort of thing.

One of my goals in the 2015 Goals thread was to spend no more than $50 a month on alcohol for home consumption, down from an estimated $70-90 per month. We're halfway through January and so far have spent $0 :toot:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Holy gently caress, does your roommate never put down the bong to breathe? The most diehard pothead I know only spends about $400, and he blows through an ounce a week

Kefit posted:

If you want to go out and not have people pressure you to drink, just nurse a seltzer water with lime. Bars are only expensive if you allow them to be.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't drink, and I don't see how it's "socially crippling." Are you like an addict who can't go anywhere alcohol is served? If so, then yeah. If not, you can do all the stuff that people who drink do, just holding a soda/water. If you don't make a big deal of it, most people get over it fast.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Droo posted:

I love on TV shows about doctors/lawyers/wall street type people where they have to act like it's impossible for the character to come up with relatively modest sums of money.

Watch Margin Call.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Not a Children posted:

Holy gently caress, does your roommate never put down the bong to breathe? The most diehard pothead I know only spends about $400, and he blows through an ounce a week

I don't smoke pot, but from what I know, $100 an ounce sounds like that's like 1/3 the regular price.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Not a Children posted:

Where do you live because where I live you'd be incredibly lucky to get a half of an ounce for $100.

That's part of why I never smoke.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
No one has cared whether or not I drink since high school (and maybe college), so that's not really an issue at all. I'm perfectly capable of sitting in a bar and not drinking, and have done this many times. But watching other people drink and interacting with their resulting intoxicated states is not a particularly captivating way to spend a night out (or a party, or a relaxed social get together, etc).

Perhaps "crippling" is too strong of a word, but it definitely creates a social hurdle. You can't really deny that social drinking is a prominent part of expected adult social interactions.

I may or may not also be influenced by the fact that most of my friends are slowly but surely becoming alcoholics as we approach our 30s. That's definitely bad with money, among other things.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Nail Rat posted:

Where do you live because where I live you'd be incredibly lucky to get a half of an ounce for $100.

Maryland, near DC. My friend is loving his dealer, so that probably helps.

Even $25 a month is too much for pot imo

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Nail Rat posted:

At a certain point... Wouldn't it be easier to just grow your own? I don't smoke, but I can't really imagine it would take much more than a closet, and a pot and some light bulbs. Especially if you're spending that much. Unless they live with their parents...

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

TLG James posted:

At a certain point... Wouldn't it be easier to just grow your own? I don't smoke, but I can't really imagine it would take much more than a closet, and a pot and some light bulbs. Especially if you're spending that much. Unless they live with their parents...

"Possession" vs "Manufacturing"

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Any savings you'd make from growing would definitely be wiped out by the expense of protecting yourself when you get arrested.

Illegal drugs are bad with money.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
Illegal drugs are bad with law, but that's a whole different thread.

There are dispensary-indexing websites that will actually show you the price of weed online, so you can actually go out and compare prices in different areas with legalized or medicinal marijuana, which is a decent chunk of the country now.

$1,000 of weed a month is unfathomable to me. Even if I had a whole month off to just be baked 24/7 I don't think I could spend more than $500. Substantially less if I were using edibles.

Edit: Does he share? That could explain it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Wickerman posted:

Any savings you'd make from growing would definitely be wiped out by the expense of protecting yourself when you get arrested.

Illegal drugs are bad with money.

:eng101: not illegal everywhere, and you can even grow your own legally in Colorado so that's actually a legitimate frugality discussion in that one state.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
Pssh, who doesn't budget their bulk weed purchases 18-months in advance based on their consumption habits? Now if only there was a futures market... :homebrew:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Weed equity.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
I budget my weed purchases and buy in bulk and then vacuum store it to save almost 50% on the street price. We don't really drink, my alcohol budget is <$25 a month. Obviously it's still recreationally illegal here or I would just do that.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Nail Rat posted:

:eng101: not illegal everywhere, and you can even grow your own legally in Colorado so that's actually a legitimate frugality discussion in that one state.

It's relatively easy to be approved to grow up to six plants in CA too.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
My rule on booze is: if it doesn't come from a plastic bottle, I can't afford it.

Probably spend $20-$25 a month on home consumption. Bar consumption these days are about the same. Calypso and Black Magic are decent cheap rums for the money, and I occasionally pick up vodka on sale. Beer is usually Shiner Bock (a 12 pack lasts months) and/or whatever friends of mine bring over and leave for us when we cook dinner for them. During the holidays we hold a couple of parties and get nicer stuff, but that's only two times a year.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Grouco posted:

Pssh, who doesn't budget their bulk weed purchases 18-months in advance based on their consumption habits? Now if only there was a futures market... :homebrew:

My understanding is that there is a vibrant self organized futures market in the Washington state mmj industry.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

blackmet posted:

My rule on booze is: if it doesn't come from a plastic bottle, I can't afford it.

Probably spend $20-$25 a month on home consumption. Bar consumption these days are about the same. Calypso and Black Magic are decent cheap rums for the money, and I occasionally pick up vodka on sale. Beer is usually Shiner Bock (a 12 pack lasts months) and/or whatever friends of mine bring over and leave for us when we cook dinner for them. During the holidays we hold a couple of parties and get nicer stuff, but that's only two times a year.

This post is really bringing me down. A 12-pack lasts months? That's bad with beer, if anything. If you like rum, it won't kill you to occasionally buy something a bit nicer.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?
Even if he's getting really ripped off, $800 month must keep him high drat near constantly. And if he's banging his dealer, he's probably getting a discount, so it's easily a ounce a week, if not more.

Grouco posted:

Then you'll just get arrested for "intent to sell", considering that 18 months for that dude would be a couple pounds. No better off than growing it. :v:

blackmet posted:

Yup. Or in a 30 rack. 30 beers for $14? God bless the land of sky blue waters.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
I live on the East Coast of Canada, first of all. Everything is more expensive here.

He rolls gigantic joints and smokes them like they're going out of style. Example: One time he smoked one before some friends came over. Then he smoked with them, and then smoked solo again immediately after they left.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
If your Vodka doesn't say Kirkland on it then you paid too much.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I live on the East Coast of Canada, first of all. Everything is more expensive here.

He rolls gigantic joints and smokes them like they're going out of style. Example: One time he smoked one before some friends came over. Then he smoked with them, and then smoked solo again immediately after they left.

A general rule of thumb on nearly any kind of drug is that 20% of users use 80% of the total market. This seems consistent.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Krispy Kareem posted:

Fun thing to do with some vodka snobs (and a good excuse for some solid drinking): hold a blind taste test using a few high- and low-end brands. Watch the cognitive dissonance unfold before your eyes.

We actually did this with a few different types of liquor back in college. Best if you can set it up as a double blind (shot glasses labeled on the bottom under a sticker or something, then mixed around). Hardly anyone can identify their "favorite" $40 vodka versus smirnoff or whatever else.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Fun thing to do with some vodka snobs (and a good excuse for some solid drinking): hold a blind taste test using a few high- and low-end brands. Watch the cognitive dissonance unfold before your eyes.

The Kirkland stuff is actually Grey Goose (actually I think they also now have a lower end vodka too that comes in an even bigger bottle they sell alongside it, but the OG Kirkland stuff is re-labled GG). Nerds On The Internet also pulled the distillery permits from ATF to figure out that the small batch bourbon came from Jim Beam, you can do this for all of their alcohol to figure out who the original manufacturer is thanks to federal law. Also, in many states it's illegal to require someone to buy a membership to purchase alcohol, so Costco's liquor stores are separate from the main store and you can buy from there without having to show a Costco card.

My local liquor store is Bad With Inventory and always overstocks the seasonal stuff, so you can pick it up for 50%+ off once it goes out of season. Magic Hat's Elder Betty (elderberry, summer brew) was my fall jam at $4/6 bottles, they had 12 packs of Shiner's Christmas beer for like $6.99 when I was in there last time.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 17, 2015

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Pompous Rhombus posted:

The Kirkland stuff is actually Grey Goose (actually I think they also now have a lower end vodka too that comes in an even bigger bottle they sell alongside it, but the OG Kirkland stuff is re-labled GG). Nerds On The Internet also pulled the distillery permits from ATF to figure out that the small batch bourbon came from Jim Beam, you can do this for all of their alcohol to figure out who the original manufacturer is thanks to federal law. Also, in many states it's illegal to require someone to buy a membership to purchase alcohol, so Costco's liquor stores are separate from the main store and you can buy from there without having to show a Costco card.

The last time I went to Costco, I spent $80 and walked out with a gallon of hard liquor. I'll leave whether this is good with money or not as an exercise to the reader.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Horking Delight posted:

The last time I went to Costco, I spent $80 and walked out with a gallon of hard liquor. I'll leave whether this is good with money or not as an exercise to the reader.

That's like two handles, which you can get for way less than $80, depending on how little self respect you have

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Vox Nihili posted:

This post is really bringing me down. A 12-pack lasts months? That's bad with beer, if anything. If you like rum, it won't kill you to occasionally buy something a bit nicer.

True, it probably won't. But I'm poor, like to have a drink most nights after work, used to the taste and generally cut it with house brand cola anyway, so...

Mind you, I do have some standards. No Beachcomber, Taaka, Skol, or Burnett's allowed.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Vox Nihili posted:

We actually did this with a few different types of liquor back in college. Best if you can set it up as a double blind (shot glasses labeled on the bottom under a sticker or something, then mixed around). Hardly anyone can identify their "favorite" $40 vodka versus smirnoff or whatever else.

I did the same thing with vodka and my hands down favorite for vodka was Seagrams. Which is dirt cheap and my goto now.

If you really want a mindfuck, look into the Templeton Rye lawsuit and start finding out that most liquor is all distilled by a handful of distillers and then distributed in bulk to the companies that you've heard of. Some filter it or add various additives or blends, but generally higher end booze is one huge scam.

Gin is kind of an exception as the big companies start with the same poo poo and add their own blend of herbals to it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Krispy Kareem posted:

Unless you live in a state like Pennsylvania that prohibits the store from selling liquor in any sense (the only liquor stores are state owned).

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

blackmet posted:

generally cut it with house brand cola anyway, so...

Shiner Bock and Coke?? :stare: there's one you don't hear every day

Edit: oh Jesus christ I need to learn how to read :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

illcendiary posted:

Shiner Bock and Coke?? :stare: there's one you don't hear every day

Edit: oh Jesus christ I need to learn how to read :negative:

I saw people in Argentina doing half beer-half coke. Looked pretty refreshing on a hot day and can't be any more of a bastard than radlers or shandies.

• Locked thread