Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

About this picture

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

what's up with the supporting poles on the circular ships? you don't need structural supports like that in a vacuum :colbert:

The supports are supposed to support the rims of those round ships. They're known has Hapan Battle Dragons and those stabilizers exist to help support a pair of gun rings which rotate rapidly around the rim of each saucer to bring a fresh gun in to fire and rotate out guns which are currently recharging.

This was necessary because Hapes was an extremely wealthy isolationist star cluster and they did not have the "quick charge" turbolaser technology that every single other space faring civilization uses and Hapan turbolasers take like 3 times longer to be ready to fire than any other turbolaser. In fact, the refusal to turn over technology is one of the reasons that relations are strained between the republics/the empire and Hapes.

The Hapans eventually ally with the new republic and still do not get the quick charge technology until something like a decade later. And it's completely retarded because everyone uses this technology. Plenty of civilian ships come with a couple of turbolasers stock out of the shipyard if they're big enough and there are regulations for how much you can legally strap to a given ship. For example, Booster Terrik (famous smuggler) has a privately owned hedonistic resort Star Destroyer and he's legally allowed to have 10 heavy turbolasers, 10 heavy ion cannons, and some unknown number of laser cannons and missile launchers attached to his ship. And if you wanted to ask "well maybe he's got the slow turbolasers too..." No. His ship was a military spec Imperial Star Destroyer Mark 2. I have no idea what exactly that means except that it absolutely did have fast charging heavy turbolasers and they just yanked off the weapons he wasn't allowed to have on it and let him keep the rest.

They could just send out a spy with fake credentials and a boatload of cash to buy a stock Corellian Corvette right off the new ship lot and they'd have had the technology to reverse engineer. Or bribed a goddamn minor weapons designer who added a nice doodad that they're putting in every new turbolaser to emigrate to Hapes and let him live in the lap of luxury for the rest of his life. Or ask pretty much any smuggler since half of them have put turbolasers on their cargo freighters. A dozen spies armed with cash and signs that say "I need to buy a turbolaser!" sent to a dozen random populated planets would probably return at least 3 units to study.

Young Freud posted:

Are those Klingon Bird Of Preys? They don't really follow any design seen previously in Star Wars.

Hapes Nova Class Battlecruiser. First mentioned in the book where Han Solo kidnaps Princess Leia to an occupied imperial planet because she's about to marry another guy. The other guy offers to bribe Han out of chasing Leia by handing him the keys to one.

They're small cruisers fit to carry a squadron of starfighters or so.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

That B'rel looks sickly. Gaunt and pale. :(

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I guess in the future past technology has reached the point where assembling spaceworthy ships is about as easy as assembling a car.

Skellybones fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 17, 2015

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

TheSpiritFox posted:

Hapes Nova Class Battlecruiser. First mentioned in the book where Han Solo kidnaps Princess Leia to an occupied imperial planet because she's about to marry another guy. The other guy offers to bribe Han out of chasing Leia by handing him the keys to one.

They're small cruisers fit to carry a squadron of starfighters or so.

The book where Han is a Space Date Rapist right

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

TheSpiritFox posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Breast

Appearances

The Courtship of Princess Leia (First identified as Breast)

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Otisburg posted:

That B'rel looks sickly. Gaunt and pale. :(

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

That's my constipated face.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Alas poor Shakespeare, I read him well.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

quote:

whats ur favorite scary movie holovid?

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

Otisburg posted:

whats ur favorite scary movie holovid?

" I know what you did last life day"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Looks like Cartilage Head from Achewood.

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

Light Gun Man posted:

I like the Tie Crawler. It's a loving tank, apparently.

The most useless vehicle considering it is armed only with a twin laser cannon in a fixed position. The cannons can't even move up and down.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Hingehead posted:

The most useless vehicle considering it is armed only with a twin laser cannon in a fixed position. The cannons can't even move up and down.

Yeah. A turret with a profile above the treads would make it merely really bad.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Who hurt the spooky man's feelings? Was it Han solo? It must have been han solo.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Potato

"A potato was an edible starchy tuber. An oddly-shaped brown object, its appearance was similar to that of the planetoid Kessel."

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Improbable Lobster posted:

The book where Han is a Space Date Rapist right

They didn't have sex in that book so it wasn't rape, just garden variety kidnapping and blackmail leading to another whacky adventure where being in danger from someone other than Han makes her forget that he used a Roofie Cannon on her.

There were so, so many things wrong with that book.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

quote:

Mount Sorrow was a mountain on the Forest Moon of Endor. The tip of the mountain was in fact sentient, and had the power to both blow people off the summit, or cry tears of healing.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mount_Sorrow

Genuinely surprised it wasn't force sensitive.

Also...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Space-carrot

a real rude dude fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 17, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Lamprey Cannon posted:

I actually kind of like this. It's something that's been cobbled together out of spare parts and looks like it's going to fall apart at any minute. It looks like something that somebody might actually put together in a living breathing world.

It is, and so is the X-Tie. "Uglies" (yes, that's what they're called) are actually just about the coolest thing in the EU. The typical X-Tie is way too clean a union of the different parts though, it would look better if it looked worse.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 17, 2015

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Improbable Lobster posted:

The puppetmaster defense is just kinda sad

i was just pretending to be a puppetmaster, idiot. lol that you fell for it

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
star wars is cool

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

Nckdictator posted:

The Z-'ceptor

Woolie Wool posted:

It is, and so is the X-Tie. "Uglies" (yes, that's what they're called) are actually just about the coolest thing in the EU. The typical X-Tie is way too clean a union of the different parts though, it would look better if it looked worse.

It needs a navigator. Let's Just shove an Artoo D-2 in the front and call it a day...

EDIT: Is there "Force-Navigation" in the EU? Like can a Jedi calculate where he's going to jump in lightspeed with the force? :shrug:

fuckingtest fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 17, 2015

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

The force literally does anything and everything; from opening doors to moving galaxies and never stops being able to do more poo poo. I don't know what Lucas originally intended for the force to be, but in the EU it is a deus ex machina that does everything the human mind can possibly conceive and more. It is worse than nanomachines in Metal Gear Solid, and worse than magic in any fantasy setting.

MONKEY TRASH!
Jan 8, 2006

Still reading through this thread, but has anyone mentioned these dudes yet? http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/T%27landa_Til

Sentient rhinos with psychic horns that make people feel like they're on ecstasy. The rhinos bring space tourists to a planet and then brainwash them into joining their slave-cult, and then have them harvest space-drugs from spiderwebs. Han Solo had to rescue his then GF from a space rhino Jim Jones with the help of a cat man named Muuurgh. I actually remember that one being fairly decent.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

fancy sauces posted:

Han Solo had to rescue his then GF from a space rhino Jim Jones with the help of a cat man named Muuurgh.

Because of course. :negative:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Light Gun Man posted:

I like the Tie Crawler. It's a loving tank, apparently.

Elevators.

those were really loving annoying to fight in empire at war

otoh they were literally the only counter the ai had to raids of 4 infiltrators

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
i like how i haven't read this thread in forever and there are 40 pages of nerds talking about things they have been told does not exist anymore by the owners of star wars. You guys are now like that goon talking about his dragon fantasy world.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

TOILETLORD posted:

i like how i haven't read this thread in forever and there are 40 pages of nerds talking about things they have been told does not exist anymore by the owners of star wars. You guys are now like that goon talking about his dragon fantasy world.

Get a load of this guy!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Otisburg posted:

solo was busy being frozen and I think they even make a plot point of it. But why not Lando? he was a cool rouguish guy and could have flown the actual falcon

yeah, but they could have moved where it was in the story. but it doesn't matter, I really liked that game.

Lando would have been awesome though

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Get a load of this guy!

gay

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

fuckingtest posted:

It needs a navigator. Let's Just shove an Artoo D-2 in the front and call it a day...

EDIT: Is there "Force-Navigation" in the EU? Like can a Jedi calculate where he's going to jump in lightspeed with the force? :shrug:

The skull-dude aliens posted a few relies up calculate space-navigation math in their heads, because of this their ships don't have navigation computers. Those skeleton boys are just so gosh darn space-smart.

So there's probably some force power to do it, yeah.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
so is this star wars rebels canon

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

so is this star wars rebels canon

yes it and clone wars only EU to exist now. rebels sucks.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

TOILETLORD posted:

yes it and clone wars only EU to exist now. rebels sucks.

idk, it's corny but i kind of like it. it's better than the clone wars

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

idk, it's corny but i kind of like it. it's better than the clone wars

really, if they needed to make a new series why wasn't it something fun like cad bane murder hour?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

TOILETLORD posted:

really, if they needed to make a new series why wasn't it something fun like cad bane murder hour?

i just want a series that follows gilad palleon or jag fel on their journeys

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

THE MOON! posted:

The force literally does anything and everything; from opening doors to moving galaxies and never stops being able to do more poo poo. I don't know what Lucas originally intended for the force to be, but in the EU it is a deus ex machina that does everything the human mind can possibly conceive and more. It is worse than nanomachines in Metal Gear Solid, and worse than magic in any fantasy setting.

Somebody detail this so I can laugh at it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

laser slingshot

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Otisburg posted:

laser tazer

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I saw the first episode of Rebels and thought it was pretty okay. Not good enough to watch the second ep, but good enough that I might do it next time I have the free time to sit around and watch a children's cartoon. I like that the main guy is just Disney's Aladdin with a name change thrown into the middle of Tatooine. The Jedi gives me douche chills though, I hope he dies like every other mentor character in this series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

KiddieGrinder posted:

Because of course. :negative:

i wanna say that one was literally a book about han so this is like the one time it isnt shoehorned in

• Locked thread