Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Andrea Sorrentino, ex-I Vampire and Green Arrow just finished arting a story across the new Uncanny X-Men and All New X-Men's Annuals. He's wonderful as hell.
Little context: Previously, one of the new recruits in Cyclops' new team of X-Men with time stopping power suddenly disappeared and then reappeared noticeably older. The annuals show the time-hopping she went through.

Too bad these three don't exactly line up.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Dec 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uh oh here I am to post more Noto stuff. These are his February variants. YES WE ARE AWARE OF THE FACES OK.

My favorites are the Magneto/Emma one and the Banner Time cover.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i like the Deathlok one and the All-New X-Men one. also, there's a Deathlok comic being published?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i like the Deathlok one and the All-New X-Men one. also, there's a Deathlok comic being published?

Pretty sure it's another import from the Agents of SHIELD TV show, as one minor character became (a?) Dethlok on the show. The cover definitely implies that, with a new guy showing signs of Dethlok-iness and a picture of the standard Dethlok covering half his face.

Also I think Phil Noto has been getting a lot better with his faces in the last few years. I'd be surprised if he hadn't heard all the criticism from the same crowd that used to bitch incessantly about Quitely's "potato faces."

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i think he's just gotten better, period. i wasn't really a fan of his stuff on Uncanny X-Force.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah. He was in Agents of SHIELD for like 5 minutes so they gave him a book, I don't think anybody actually reads it though.

I like the Cap one and Spider-Man but they'd work better as art pieces rather than covers.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 6, 2015

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Those are all so goddamn cool.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

zoux posted:

Uh oh here I am to post more Noto stuff. These are his February variants. YES WE ARE AWARE OF THE FACES OK.

My favorites are the Magneto/Emma one and the Banner Time cover.

Every one of these is loving rad as hell but I'd have to go with the Captain America and Daredevil covers personally.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
They better loving release the Captain America one as a poster.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Fallen Rib

Senor Candle posted:

They better loving release the Captain America one as a poster.

I want the two X-Men ones.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Speaking of posters this was a blacklight poster that Marvel put out in 1971.

:eyepop:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Painted on finest quality black velvet?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

zoux posted:

Cool comic book covers.

These look neat. Should I be reading any of these books?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

10 Beers posted:

I'd say Daredevil, Inhuman, and Thor are good. The rest are either fairly new (Ant-Man, Deathlok), or are just fair to mediocre. Or I'm not reading them (I've heard good things about Rocket Raccoon?)

Well except for X-Men. X-Men is bad. That said, I'd totally buy that X-Men cover as a print.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

10 Beers posted:

Noto is also the regular artist on BW.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

zoux posted:

Noto is also the regular artist on BW.

Black Widow and Guardians of the Galaxy are both good, but not great, books. I wish these covers would be as plentiful as DC's Darwyn Cooke covers, and not from crazy ratio with a jacked up price tag.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

TwoPair posted:

I'd say Daredevil, Inhuman, and Thor are good. The rest are either fairly new (Ant-Man, Deathlok), or are just fair to mediocre. Or I'm not reading them (I've heard good things about Rocket Raccoon?)

Well except for X-Men. X-Men is bad. That said, I'd totally buy that X-Men cover as a print.

Which X-Men is bad? The first collection of All New X-Men was good, at least!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wendell posted:

Which X-Men is bad? The first collection of All New X-Men was good, at least!

Bendis' X-Men stuff gets pretty bad pretty fast

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

goatface posted:

Painted on finest quality black velvet?

If not I'd loving love it in a repro.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Some Cosmic stuff from Aleksi Briclot.

I wish there was more of Satanic Avengers stuff, I thought that was a neat concept.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
Richard Corben is really great at making nightmare fuel. The cover of Rat God #1:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

zoux posted:

I wish there was more of Satanic Avengers stuff, I thought that was a neat concept.

I tried to google this for more examples, but you can imagine the :tinfoil: poo poo that came up. Got anything solid?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
He means the Revengers from the Cancerverse. They weren't Satanic but Lovecraftian. They showed up in the Thanos Imperative as the Avengers from the Cancerverse; a universe that basically was one where Cthulhu won.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

He means the Revengers from the Cancerverse. They weren't Satanic but Lovecraftian. They showed up in the Thanos Imperative as the Avengers from the Cancerverse; a universe that basically was one where Cthulhu won.

They were lovecraftian but they had a lot of satanic/occult imagery and looked evil as hell. In that pic I posed you can see the Pentagram on the back of Captain America.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah apparently they defeated death in the Cancerverse, and Captain Marvel was like, hey, you know what's cool? People with lots of angles.

Later on, Death was shoved back into this universe, and everyone died, the end.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bane needs to go see a doctor immediately!

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I have that issue somewhere in my comic long boxes.

Sam Keith can be a bit of an acquired taste, and he works best outside of the typical capes and cowls area.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Bane needs to go see a doctor immediately!

Falstaff posted:

I have that issue somewhere in my comic long boxes.

Sam Keith can be a bit of an acquired taste, and he works best outside of the typical capes and cowls area.

Was that Kieth or Kelly Jones?

I have a love for both of them.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Shoot, you're right. That's Kelley Jones. :blush:

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I can't comprehend Batman's cape. Is he rolling Sonic style at Bane?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That insane cluster of muscles under his pecs is giving me tryptophobia.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

zoux posted:

That insane cluster of muscles under his pecs is giving me tryptophobia.

He also drew a bunch of extra tendons in Bane's neck but didn't bother to draw the most obvious muscle.

Just noticed they're stretching out over the collarbone, too.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Really if there's one guy in comics you should be able to get away with portraying a hideously mutated musculature, it's the dude on :techno: hypersteroids.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Though it does kinda look like if Bane punched, he'd only barely reach past his own chest. Much more, and he'd have to kool-aid through any door he came across, because he couldn't reach the handle.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I also like how Bane is a duck

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I had forgotten just how ridiculous Kelley Jones Bane was. I half expect it was deliberately mocking the character. Jones always had a somewhat cartoonish, exaggerated style but his Bane is on another level.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

i love this one. It's a pose-off!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I just find the bubble-wrap on his torso hilarious.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Astro City #19

Cover v Interior -- I know its not fair to compare the two, but..

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Edge & Christian posted:

I had forgotten just how ridiculous Kelley Jones Bane was. I half expect it was deliberately mocking the character. Jones always had a somewhat cartoonish, exaggerated style but his Bane is on another level.

He was brought on to fill in for Sam Kieth, who had been DC's choice for Batman covers around that time but hated the work and was way behind schedule. Kieth's covers at that time veered wildly between "Incredibly Boring":

and "Poor Man's Bill Sienkiewicz":

By the time Kieth quit, DC just needed someone to come in and work fast on the covers with a style that was vaguely comparable to him. As a result, Jones almost never had any idea what was happening in the actual stories in those books and just took it as an opportunity to be as weird as possible:

quote:

The covers I did were given to me by a strange twist of fate. DC called and asked if I had Sam Kieth’s phone number, which was odd, because Sam is the one who brought me to DC. They wanted him to do the covers for Batman and Detective. I told them that he was an inspired choice. Before too long Sam called me and said he just wasn’t enjoying doing it, and would I pitch in and help him. In a month or so he quit outright telling me he was just freezing up too much. He was way behind, and DC then asked if I would knock out 4 or 5 of them to catch up, and then they would find a permanent cover artist. The public reaction to my stuff was strong, and that I am fast, made them decide to stick with me. I never knew what the stories were about when I drew the covers, just who was in them, as the books were running late. It worked out just great for me, as I was allowed to just draw. Most came out pretty good.

And being weird and expressive (at the price of anything like accuracy) was basically always his goal:

quote:

I took art and a premed courses on anatomy so I could draw everything right. When I got into comics I looked at my printed work, and though technically good, it was without soul. So, when I started trying to draw what I felt, my editors ‘fixed’ my drawing by having the inkers correct what they felt was wrong. When I came to DC, they didn’t mind my style, and actually allowed me to ink my own stuff starting with Deadman. Sam Kieth and I knew each other then, and both found that we were trying to be perfect, like Dave Stevens, rather than uneven and rough like Graham Engels. Over a pizza we both told each other the same desire to be ourselves, and decided to just do it… waiting to be fired.