Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aers
Feb 15, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

Without Zorak's tyranny I can finally say that the Sailor Moon musicals, are bad.

gently caress you, a cartoon duck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

aers posted:

gently caress you, a cartoon duck.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

aers posted:

I would never allow a child to watch viz's poor excuse for a release. These ancient VHS rips have better video quality, and that's what matters

Why is that your criterion? The children I know don't care about video quality as long as they can understand what's going on. In this case, it's easier for them to understand because the dialogue is dubbed in English, so it doesn't matter if they can't read fast enough to follow subtitles. And it's better than the DiC and Cloverway dubs, because the characters' personalities and relationships, and the PLOT of the show overall, haven't been messed with.
I mean, don't get me started on the whole "SO I KEPT IT" controversy. I don't want a child to watch that. DiC took a moment that showed that, despite their bickering, Usagi and Rei trusted and respected each other, and Usagi was actually capable of a sensible strategy (asking Rei to hold the Moon Stick for her so she couldn't give it up or have it taken from her while negotiating with Kunzite), and turned it into a moment that showed that Serena was stupid and careless and Raye didn't trust her one bit. That was infuriating.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

It was a joke m8.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I do really like the new dub. A few of the voices take some getting use to but overall I like the new voices. Second box for the Blurays comes out soon so we'll see if any of the ghosting or over saturation goes away.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Did you guys know that there's a phone number you can call, and it will play the audio of a full episode of the old dub for you

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ALFbrot posted:

Did you guys know that there's a phone number you can call, and it will play the audio of a full episode of the old dub for you

Post the number.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Smoking Crow posted:

Post the number.

Rude

(850) 898-9559

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
A Fort Walton Beach Florida zip code?

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's probably Gerald from AWO's ringback.

Also, here is a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnweL3eUlJk

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
That anime deGrasse. :3:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Now that we have a new mod it has come to my attention that my previous statement was wrong and the musicals are extremely cool and good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Those are some good Blu-rays you got.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
It's a spot the differences game, but for every thing they fixed, they made something else worse

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Waffleman_ posted:

Those are some good Blu-rays you got.

Which one's the Blu? They both look equally terrible.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I believe the Blu is the one that makes Usagi look like Minako.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Which one's the Blu? They both look equally terrible.

The top one looks ok, imo

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Looking at the bottom one Usagi's twintails have turned into a solid mass.

The top one has Makoto's Ponytail looking considerably less wavy and more slim.

Ami and Rei look the same.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

Now that we have a new mod it has come to my attention that my previous statement was wrong and the musicals are extremely cool and good.

I forgive you.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I have still yet to watch the new musicals from last year and this year.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
SMC to start a tv airing run in April in Japan

Prob'ly on some podunk channel at a time that would make your average Toonami burn off series blush.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

Revolver Bunker posted:

I have still yet to watch the new musicals from last year and this year.

I really really recommend them! I've tried watching some of the older musicals, but they didn't really grab me. La Reconquista and Petite Étrangère grabbed me in a bear hug. They're not perfect (their version of Mamoru/Tuxedo Mask is super hot but kind of a prat, for example), but they have some really enjoyable songs and oh my god the characterisation and performances of the Inner Senshi just SHINE with LOVE. I'm frickin' infatuated with their Makoto/Sailor Jupiter.

(edited by moonwhing iirc)

aers
Feb 15, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

SMC to start a tv airing run in April in Japan

Prob'ly on some podunk channel at a time that would make your average Toonami burn off series blush.

so like all anime then

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

aers posted:

so like all anime then
Only somehow even more or a pisstake, yes.

M3V
Jul 26, 2012

♪ toot ♪
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8dXOz_XZL8

M3V
Jul 26, 2012

♪ toot ♪
Don't like the crystal art? Get a taste for a new style:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orhh6TZ6qCE

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh well, at least Dark Kingdom gets across the finish line tomorrow.

I'm not even going to hope that Nemesis is much better.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

ConanThe3rd posted:

Oh well, at least Dark Kingdom gets across the finish line tomorrow.

I'm not even going to hope that Nemesis is much better.

Well, that was... boring.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I like when they loop the animation, but can't even be bothered to make sure that the loops are clean. Watching Usagi's hair suddenly appear at the beginning of the loop over and over again was funny.

I also like "pick up the moon stick with the crystal in it" immediately followed by a shot of the stick with no crystal only for it to return in the next shot.

At least she actually remembered that she had friends...eventually.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

M3V posted:

You know, it's funny that even this art style is more expressive than Crystal. It's nice not to see a bunch of blank expressions all the drat time.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Asiina posted:

I like when they loop the animation, but can't even be bothered to make sure that the loops are clean. Watching Usagi's hair suddenly appear at the beginning of the loop over and over again was funny.

I also like "pick up the moon stick with the crystal in it" immediately followed by a shot of the stick with no crystal only for it to return in the next shot.

At least she actually remembered that she had friends...eventually.

Also after she put the crystal in her new brooch, the next shot of the moon stick still had the crystal in it, and then it was gone in the next shot.

I laughed harder at the little cat paws praying than anything I have in a while.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Despite what they say, I still thinks this was more of a part of the Dark Kingdom Arc then the start of the next arc, especially since it had the finale of the battle take almost half of this episode.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I could feel that sound of Usagi's neck cracking. :gonk:

Sound Foley dood should direct this show, might get something that's not total arse.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

M3V posted:

This made me realize how much I miss the old dub I grew up with. Not only was the animation great, but I got hit with a ball of nostalgia.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I liked Crystal for what it was, but man-- I don't know if I can watch the Rini arc all over again.

It's just so bad. "You love her more than you love me!!!" (I don't know how much of that was in the original manga, but beh.)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah I like the overall story of R and there's a lot of good episodes there but nobody out of those three clowns act anything like an actual person with all that poo poo.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

SystemLogoff posted:

I liked Crystal for what it was, but man-- I don't know if I can watch the Rini arc all over again.

It's just so bad. "You love her more than you love me!!!" (I don't know how much of that was in the original manga, but beh.)

Usagi gets jealous once and then its somewhat implied she sleeps with Mamoru. iirc.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Manga Usagi also has a moment where she realizes what an idiot she's being and gets over it.

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

Basically everyone is a lot better in the manga when it comes to R. Mamoru doesn't break up with Usagi without explanation, Usagi gets over her jealously quickly, Chibiusa is no where near as annoying, and I know I felt more pity for her. I think in the manga, she was basically bullied and gossiped about for being so young for so long, while the anime had her randomly think her family secretly hated her.

Of course, there's a trade off, since Diamond and Black Lady are a hundred times more uncomfortably creepy in the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Showing Luna's human form instead of having her turn into Usagi for a moment was a nice change at least?

Speaking of, I still love how the team completely forgot about their past-life ex-boyfriends half a minute after they blew up. Nice pay-off to the major changes there.

• Locked thread