Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

The magic combination of Jon Jones and kongo. Give em hell Strauss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

this is a cool fight

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
pitbull shinned a penis so well he thought it should credit him with victory

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
That dude's eye is hosed up.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
We were talking about Pancrase being a work or not a while back in one of CXB's jmma streams and I asked Dave Meltzer a little question about Pancrase and got this courtesy of MassRafTer

quote:

PANCRASE

Here are a few things about Pancrase to think about.

1. Why are the fighters allowed to kick each other with shoes? You can't do that in the UFC. The shin pads didn't cover the hardest part of the shoe, the bottom. Front and side kicks, which use the bottom of the shoe, were thrown.

2. Why are punches not allowed and brutal leg kicks rarely used? Could it be because punches are impossible to fake convincingly and leg kicks, while not as difficult to fake as punches, are hard to make look full power and the fighters tend to overact when hit by them (like in UWFI)? I don't think you'll see too many people outside of shootfighting get knocked out cold by a palm heel slap.

3. Why do none of the fighters seem terribly worried when they are obviously in a position to be choked out and the fighter in the position to do the choking rarely tries very hard to do so? You rarely see anybody who knows chokes in the UFC not take advantage of the opportunity.

4. With points scored so infrequently, doesn't it seem silly that Ken Shamrock would have said that one fighter, in a dominant position, would just let his opponent up when the opponent would lose a point if he locked on a submission hold because of a rope break, would decide against working for the submission because he didn't want to give away any of his submissions. Doesn't he know at least a few?

5. I've never heard of a boxing, kick boxing or judo organization that only consists of about 20 fighters, most of whom are trained by the same people, who just rotate fighting one another. The UFC is actually fairly easy to get into and anyone can compete. From what I understand, Pancrase is a very exclusive organization and difficult to get into. I wonder why? Also, why are the fighters paid salary like pro wrestlers instead of given purses for each match based on the result?

6. Finally, doesn't it seem strange that even SEG won't come out and state officially that Pancrase is 100% real?

Pro wrestling is great, but in no way should it be confused with something real like UFC. I loved the Rocky movies, but Sylvester Stallone was never the legitimate heavyweight boxing championship of the world. Let's not blur fantasy and reality. Pancrase may occasionally have some legitimate shoots but so did the UWFI. It is not terribly hard to tell the difference between real matches and not-so-real matches. Pancrase is simply a better worked, though less entertaining, version of UWFI. As much as I like and respect Ken Shamrock, I have to say that if he wants to claim any glory from his victories in Pancrase, he is also going to have to acknowledge his losses in pro wrestling matches, such as his loss to Bart Vale, which was an obvious work. You can't have it both ways.

Joe Silva

Richmond, Virginia

I asked Dave if it was done elsewhere

quote:

@YMazyar Jan 10
@davemeltzerWON You seem like the person to ask, was it RINGS or elsewhere were the fighters were essentially salaried employees?

And got an answer

quote:

@davemeltzerWON Jan 10
@YMazyar Some were to an extent.

Just a little b-league history + an excuse to repost the Joe Silva letter to the Observer

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
strauss should have taken more time to recover from that dick kick. still, good fight, good finish.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Fozzy The Bear posted:

That dude's eye is hosed up.

He looks like Arnold about 75% of the way through Terminator.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That had everything. Comedy, tragedy, drama, confusion, blood, and a low-level grappling error which threw away the fight.

That's A-level B-league.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

quote:

@marc_raimondi 3m
Bellator has had several conversations with Mirko Cro Cop. They want to sign him.

lol never change scott coker

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

e: wrong threaed

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Next featherweight title fight for Bellator is Pitbull vs Georgi Karakhanyan

blizzardveers
Jan 17, 2015
Holy poo poo, I'm horribly behind on Bellator.

I didn't even know Pitbull was the champion before this show. I completely missed the Pitbull and Curran rematch.

Fantastic win for him tonight.

It's kind of sad seeing Zaromskis worked over like he has been lately, given how fantastic he was in the DREAM Tourney.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

reminder y'all, jake shields fights saturday in WSOF

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Yuriy posted:

lol never change scott coker

HWGP version 2.0, starring Fedor, Cro Cop, Tito Ortiz, Cung Le, and whoever is a regular Bellator fatweight.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

1st AD posted:

HWGP version 2.0, starring Fedor, Cro Cop, Tito Ortiz, Cung Le, and whoever is a regular Bellator fatweight.

JT!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

oh man James Thomson, HWGP winner has a nice ring to it

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

1st AD posted:

We would all watch salivating

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

1st AD posted:

oh man James Thomson, HWGP winner has a nice ring to it

From the first time round 4 years ago, gently caress Mauro

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

mauro is mentally unbalanced

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Yuriy posted:

We were talking about Pancrase being a work or not a while back in one of CXB's jmma streams and I asked Dave Meltzer a little question about Pancrase and got this courtesy of MassRafTer

I asked Dave if it was done elsewhere

And got an answer

Just a little b-league history + an excuse to repost the Joe Silva letter to the Observer

I thought RINGS was worked until around '99 then was a shoot until it stopped running?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Sprecherscrow posted:

I thought RINGS was worked until around '99 then was a shoot until it stopped running?

SUPPOSEDLY some of the early tournament rounds were unscripted pre-'99 but that would mean that instead of getting shoot fighters who were really bad at working, they found the world's worst and most afraid and uncommtited shoot fighters

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
I've seen that Joe Silva letter posted before but this time something really jumped out at me:

Joe Silva posted:

I like and respect Ken Shamrock

It's so weird to look back to a time when anybody liked and respected Ken Shamrock.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I like him but I'm not sure I respect him, does that count

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

EvanSchenck posted:

I've seen that Joe Silva letter posted before but this time something really jumped out at me:

It's so weird to look back to a time when anybody liked and respected Ken Shamrock.

I like and respect Ken Shamrock. I would not be the man I am today without his contributions to mixed martial arts.

Also he's 50% of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8CTobooiwA

blizzardveers
Jan 17, 2015

Sprecherscrow posted:

By the time King of Kings '99 rolled around, all the works had stopped. Pretty much one of the better assortment of MMA talent during that period.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

So I guess there a free stream for WSOF prelims here: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/1/17/7637395/wsof-17-shields-vs-foster-results-live-discussion-video-stream

I have no idea who any of these people are though (or really anyone on the card aside from Shields, Foster, and Adam Cella :lol: ) At least Bas is on commentary.

e: oops I guess that was the last one.

colonel_korn fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 18, 2015

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

colonel_korn posted:

So I guess there a free stream for WSOF prelims here: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/1/17/7637395/wsof-17-shields-vs-foster-results-live-discussion-video-stream

I have no idea who any of these people are though (or really anyone on the card aside from Shields, Foster, and Adam Cella :lol: ) At least Bas is on commentary.

or you could just go to wsof.com lol

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Main card's up at

http://tv.fightcreature.com/stream/stream3.html

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Oh so this is where Cella went.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
God drat bro :stare:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

lol the most blatant illegal strike

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Wow that kick could hardly have been more flagrantly illegal

e: He probably saw Mazzagatti was reffing and decided to give a shot since it was 50:50 that he would notice at all

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if the BAS system comes with those wicked sound effects too.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
I hope Cella manages to win this round so they have a 28-28 draw.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The worst production.

copy that

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
is that a tattoo or his hair? morales may have the worst something, that's for sure

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
That guy on the bottom is probably screwed, his eyes are totally full of blood

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That's a lot of blood. They could've at least wiped him down.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

PaganGoatPants posted:

That's a lot of blood. They could've at least wiped him down.

It's enough of a gift to restart him on the feet, but he got taken down again instantly anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Fight you are a bad

e: lol at the guy bouncing up and down as 30-25 and 30-26 scores against him are announced.

colonel_korn fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 18, 2015