Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Orv posted:

Or, and I know this is radical, learn things.

edgy poo poo bro

Thanks for making that script. I really wish they would add in some sort of rudimentary map or compass available on spawn. Whoever called this game "a really hosed up land nav course" was right, trying to find your way around or link up is pretty tedious at the moment.

Can someone who's in the know list the X/Z coordinates for the towns/points of interest discovered so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Compass is water + salt + scrap metal I think? Now that I have one I don't get lost nearly as much.

There is an upgraded compass which includes more detailed directions (like NE, NW, SE, SW) but I don't know how you make it.

For locations maybe we should do a PGS thread.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
How do you build structures and stuff? Also, if you build a "base" can you respawn there if you die?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

SuicideSnowman posted:

How do you build structures and stuff? Also, if you build a "base" can you respawn there if you die?

Bedrolls set a spawn point but we have not figured out how to craft them yet.

Not sure if it involves farming but we haven't figured out anything involving farming yet. We got a field successfully leveled near the Goonbase but no one has figured out how to plant yet.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Compass is water + salt + scrap metal I think? Now that I have one I don't get lost nearly as much.

Purified water + metal shard. I'd assume you need more than one shard, but I'm not sure.

As for finding things, you always spawn by a road or in sight of a major landmark. I'm not saying "lol loc is for pussies" but we'll have an easier time if people learn landmarks relative to each other quickly.

You know, as much luck as we ever have with goon survival coordination.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
There's an item called the ground tiller which sets up a planter spot. Presumably you can plant seeds there, but I had to log before I could try it out.

Many advanced tools require pipes to craft.

You actually CANNOT till on the flat manufactured ground - it has to be on the natural ground. Foundation space seems to just be for building on.

CupBoy
Aug 7, 2002

It's a bloody cup.
Hey guys, here's a big rear end 8192x8192 map of the terrain: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9UnPHpRxh6ENTNOeV96THBHcTQ/view?usp=sharing

CupBoy fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 17, 2015

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Sorry if this has already been answered: Will my crates and poo poo be reset/given back to me if I use them via a wipe later?

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Watching a guy stream this and I can't get past the loving insanely lazy lack of any lighting whatsoever. Every interior and exterior looks exactly the same, like someone cranked the gamma up and tore off the knob. I realize they copied and pasted a lot of dumb poo poo from DayZ, and it looks like ambient flood lights was one of them.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

graynull posted:

Watching a guy stream this and I can't get past the loving insanely lazy lack of any lighting whatsoever. Every interior and exterior looks exactly the same, like someone cranked the gamma up and tore off the knob. I realize they copied and pasted a lot of dumb poo poo from DayZ, and it looks like ambient flood lights was one of them.

I think this is a shader issue.

I was watching a streamer yesterday test the graphics options inside, and apparently switching from 'ultra' to any other setting seemed to fix this lighting issue. The inside of buildings actually look pretty creepy, and you need to use your flashlight to see anything when everything is working correctly.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
You mean there is a way to play that game so it doesn't look like grey houses on grey landscape under a grey skybox, all lit with some luminescent grey fog? Maybe i start it up again, test if I can get it to work to not look super dull and maybe try to find the goon fort. But my first impression wasn't that great, as my first few tries (not counting the ones where I didn't get to play at all) all felt pretty crowded.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Yeah, there is a town full of a few hosed up buildings with furniture all over and invisible walls.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I'm going to link a reddit thread because it's actually important: http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comments/2sqbfu/so_apparently_game_looksruns_better_on_medium/

If you want good quality graphics, MEDIUM is actually the best setting because reasons. HIGH is the best for gameplay, most visible etc, and ULTRA is just loving retarded and adds nothing but rain clutter.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Good.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
hahaha watching all the sperg lords and nerds freak out over issues an alpha early release had/is having is hilarious. Stupid ALPHA technical poo poo aside, the game is solid and seeing as how they already responded to the airdrop stuff, and have been working on patching left and right, I feel good about the future of H1Z1.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

hahaha watching all the sperg lords and nerds freak out over issues an alpha early release had/is having is hilarious. Stupid ALPHA technical poo poo aside, the game is solid and seeing as how they already responded to the airdrop stuff, and have been working on patching left and right, I feel good about the future of H1Z1.

"IF I ignore all the issues the games is the best game ever" I should post that in the Starbound thread. Comparing this to the Planetside 2 alpha it was much further along in development and far more of a game than this, its about at WarZ level of gameness and I'd say it functions better than DayZ.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Reason posted:

"IF I ignore all the issues the games is the best game ever" I should post that in the Starbound thread. Comparing this to the Planetside 2 alpha it was much further along in development and far more of a game than this, its about at WarZ level of gameness and I'd say it functions better than DayZ.

We're two days post EA release so obviously it's going to be janky for the foreseeable future. I'm willing to be at least a little optimistic that the game will improve, but all of the connection issues were super annoying. Functioning better than DayZ and being at WarZ's level of playablity at launch isn't that bad.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I am kinda surprised that most of the jankiness present in day 1 is now gone. Zombies are a credible threat at times now and hunting isn't that easy anymore (deer scent is a big help now). My only issue is I am having trouble aiming the bow, it feels like the aim "jumps" kinda far as I move the mouse when I am holding right mouse and trying to make a precise headshot. Anyone got a fix for that?

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

hunting isn't that easy anymore (deer scent is a big help now).
That deer I just punched to death would disagree with you.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Goon camp is coming together -- most of the mead hall is done, and now working on building and ringing the campsite with pungee pits and barbed wire, which are very effective at hanging up pubbies and stopping zombies.

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

I am kinda surprised that most of the jankiness present in day 1 is now gone. Zombies are a credible threat at times now and hunting isn't that easy anymore (deer scent is a big help now). My only issue is I am having trouble aiming the bow, it feels like the aim "jumps" kinda far as I move the mouse when I am holding right mouse and trying to make a precise headshot. Anyone got a fix for that?

Craft the improved Wooden Bow with a wood stick, twine, and cloth.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Kimsemus posted:

Goon camp is coming together -- most of the mead hall is done, and now working on building and ringing the campsite with pungee pits and barbed wire, which are very effective at hanging up pubbies and stopping zombies.

Craft the improved Wooden Bow with a wood stick, twine, and cloth.

I have the improved bow, that's not my issue. When I am aiming with the bow I want to make slight adjustments to my aim so lets say I move the mouse very slightly to the right but instead the aim jumps to the right and past the head I was trying to aim for. I have noticed this issue in some games and I think there is a term for it but I don't know what it is. Messing with mouse sensitivity has not fixed it yet.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

Reason posted:

yup, cause I said exactly that. Some people apparently dont understand what an early access alpha is about.

Edit: Imagine that, ps2 with a bigger and better funded team had a more advanced alpha product.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
Which of you on Requiem regularly streams? I want to see this goonfort live in action.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Carecat posted:

Well it looks a lot better made than I:SS which sadly is an achievement for survival games.

I doubt I'll pick this up after getting burned on that pretty hard

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Hey guys, I've never been down the SOE rabbithole before but I think this game could actually end up being pretty good.

Besides connection issues the game itself is fairly solid and is more full featured than those other games that have been in development for years and it's actually quite fun to play!

A buddy and I met up and and just worked on systematically clearing out the smaller towns and screwing with fresh logins. It was a lot of fun.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I've watched a few streams and while everything seems to be running well, every single container is empty. I just watched a dude search every room in a motel type building and find nothing.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Well, another update. Are there changelogs for these?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Frog Act posted:

I've watched a few streams and while everything seems to be running well, every single container is empty. I just watched a dude search every room in a motel type building and find nothing.

This seems to be a simple bug I think. One server I had the same issue and in another I had more loot than I knew what to do with.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

While on patrol for pubbies, we discovered a better way to hunt.

Dravinski
May 5, 2013

It seems like if you get a refund for the game on steam, it only removes the game from steam and you are still able to log in/use the game on a different account. This should probably be addressed by the developers pretty quickly or they might lose a lot of money.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dravinski posted:

It seems like if you get a refund for the game on steam, it only removes the game from steam and you are still able to log in/use the game on a different account. This should probably be addressed by the developers pretty quickly or they might lose a lot of money.

:soe:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Oh cool, another survivor zombie game that wants you to play in the dark/rain. Great, I am truly feeling the suspense.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
I really like the music.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Disappointing Pie posted:

This seems to be a simple bug I think. One server I had the same issue and in another I had more loot than I knew what to do with.

Just ran around for about 90 minutes and found precisely nothing in about 200 containers. It's hosed. Everything I found was just lying on the ground.

e: plus about 30-40 crates in a couple convenience stores with nothing but planks.

Dravinski
May 5, 2013

A good spin doctor might say that this proves they aren't in it for the money! :v:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
H1Z1: Yet another zombie survival game
H1Z1: The dev says it is p2w but ymmv
H1Z1: H1Z1 > DayZ? Smedley says no

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

yup, cause I said exactly that. Some people apparently dont understand what an early access alpha is about.

Edit: Imagine that, ps2 with a bigger and better funded team had a more advanced alpha product.

My point being that if you ignore all the issues with something of course it looks good. Better to be realistic and describe the product as it exists currently because right now thats what people are interested in.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Played a bit more, this time on Requiem, it's not that bad as my first impression probably thanks to the patches. But I'm still not totally sold, I can see it beeing fun for just mucking about.

Random encounter story;
Had two guys running past me, the guy chasing screaming that the other was a thief... I was freshly spawned but thought, well, let's join the man hunt. All was fun and games until the guy we chased realized I was fresh meat and he actually stole all the weapons from the other dude, turned around and put an axe into the head of each of us. That actually made me laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
I feel like neither loot nor zombies are respawning. Earlier today I played shortly after the server came up and there was loot everywhere and zombies everywhere. Last couple hours I haven't found poo poo. I ran around with a stick for about an hour searching everything and couldn't even find even the smallest of items like shirts or caps. Didn't see any zombies in that time either.

• Locked thread