Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Just give a hard slap when those guys come around. gently caress that poo poo. Also Mr. Coach has to be really clear about keeping your fingers tight and in place to avoid eye and finger-up-the-nose accidents.

Only Jon Jones is allowed to eye poke everyone all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Ligur posted:

The drill is so similar to much of those I've been doing since forever I have no problem lightly tapping people, but she tried to light me up, yeah.

"Go at 20%"
"Ok!"
"Hey! 20% doesn't mean really slow, just light, be as fast as you can be"
"Ok! I'ma now faster!" *starts throwing at 105% again because fast and full power is the same*

But like I said before no problem, I have 2000 lbs on that person. The thing about "out of control" is always hilarious. (As long as it isn't some 260lbs dude killing guys and girls half his weight, that is.)

edit: and there was a lot of laughing, also a drill I like, to prepare for sparring, is going a couple of rounds of fighting with no mouthgard and no gloves and open palm strikes only when it comes to hands: even the most panicky, twitchy trainee will become quite calm and calculated at that point

I don't know if this will help, but maybe explain going light as pulling your punches? That's kind of what it seems like. Go full force until you reach the point where contact is made, then stop right there and don't follow through.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I'm in the latest UFC Embedded video. In the background. Not doing anything remotely impressive. Sweet.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

VulgarandStupid posted:

I'm in the latest UFC Embedded video. In the background. Not doing anything remotely impressive. Sweet.

Link?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPUwrxM_1nc

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Which bit are you in I meant?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

willie_dee posted:

Which bit are you in I meant?

Doomsday's segment. I guess Uriah Hall swung by the gym on Thursday, but I don't train Thursday's so I missed him.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

ICHIBAHN posted:

Crosspost: So I'm a 4 month white belt with no tabs. Been told there's a grading in a couple weeks. I assume this is where tabs are given out. What should I expect in a grading?

I've been to a Gracie Barra & my current gym and there wasn't/isn't any official "testing" - particularly just for stripes. Every day you go and roll is testing, you are always being graded unofficially especially when rolling with the higher belts. Here, every few months the main instructor will line everyone up before rolling and hand out stripes/belts and take pictures with them. So someone might jump from 0 stripes to 2 or 3, or 2 to 4 ( or maybe just up 1 if you haven't had a dramatic improvement ) in that period of time, it's pretty random. He's a big proponent of "Who cares about your belt colour just roll and enjoy it. Stripes are just loving tape, stop stressing." Which is good and bad I guess, I love it because I really don't care about my belt, just about learning, but I know some people get frustrated with it. Due to this I've been told multiple times that usually at our gym you can't really go based on belt colours/stripes - there will be 2 or 3 stripe whites who are "actually" blues and just haven't gotten their belts yet.

There's so much poo poo to learn in BJJ and when you don't have a standardized curriculum, it seems like grading is really up to the individual instructor.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 17, 2015

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Thanks dude. Very insightful. I'm not worried or stressed about it, I judge my own progress but there's certain things you can't do without tabs (open mat rolling, subs) so, it'd be nice to be able to do them.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I gave the most massive of fucks up till I got my blue belt, now I couldn't care less. I didn't feel ready for it when I got it (although I do now). I'm probably, at minimum, a good year or so off a purple belt, at least. Which is a nice place to be, really. Just grappling all the time and trying to get better for it's own sake. Although we all roll right from day one so it only really matters for comp.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I rolled on day one and was told to tap if they started bending my arm backwards.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
my belt changed colors

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Kuvo posted:

my belt changed colors

If it isn't wrapped around your face while you're wearing sunglasses I don't think it is an official SomethingAwful.com promotion picture.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

:colbert:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

de la peche posted:

I gave the most massive of fucks up till I got my blue belt,

I care hard about grading only because at my gym you're only allowed to roll without someone watching you/generally looking around if you're a blue belt or rolling with someone whose a blue belt...

Luckily I am also in the No-Gi program which doesn't have such restrictions.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

There you go. Congrats!

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

ICHIBAHN posted:

Thanks dude. Very insightful. I'm not worried or stressed about it, I judge my own progress but there's certain things you can't do without tabs (open mat rolling, subs) so, it'd be nice to be able to do them.

Ahh that makes sense then. We don't have any restrictions on if/when you can roll w/ subs or anything, so that's probably why there isn't any real focus on grading at my gym. Obviously just having someone else acknowledge your progress is a nice little ego boost though, whether it's a compliment or a stripe.

origami posted:

I rolled on day one and was told to tap if they started bending my arm backwards.

Basically this.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

:D

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Green belt is....judo?

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I mean if you're already experienced from a good instructor you'll know what to look for. But I I think it's good for complete newbies to do a bit of research. I don't know where you live but around here Gracie Barras are like Starbucks. Also in BJJ they take belts pretty serious and at every level you generally expect a certain amount of skill. I mean poo poo a black belt takes upwards of 15 years, no? In the end I think it helps to prevent people from buying belts.

At any rate people might get hung up on some regular white dude or non-Brazilian teaching them which is dumb but yeah. That poo poo is so commercialized now I'm sure there's a ton of McDojos

I live in Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada so Gracie Barras do not mean anything around here. People I work with do BJJ so the conversation came up and someone asked me what my lineage was for Judo. They gave me a confused look when I told them I just googled my Judo instructor's name and the first hit was his name on Judo Canada's Black Belt Grading Guidelines Board and his profile on the Canadian Olympic website.

I can understand now why people do it. We have 3 different BJJs gyms here. All but one are dodgy, and the only legit BJJ gym is really expensive with a contract and only 2 training times a week. I could hardly find any information on their instructors.

Except for this guy, I couldn't find any of his claims being true after a hour of research:

http://evolutionfightandfitness.com/instructors.html

mewse
May 2, 2006

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I live in Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada so Gracie Barras do not mean anything around here. People I work with do BJJ so the conversation came up and someone asked me what my lineage was for Judo. They gave me a confused look when I told them I just googled my Judo instructor's name and the first hit was his name on Judo Canada's Black Belt Grading Guidelines Board and his profile on the Canadian Olympic website.

Judo has the advantage of being an olympic sport with some degree of respectability. There are sports in Canada like Kickboxing that are a total grey area.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Small snippet from a Facebook flame war a friend has gotten herself into with a very smug martial artist.

"I'm not interested in learning Japanese martial arts from a Korean."

I checked his FB page. Dude's white as hell.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I've been looking to get back into some type of martial arts. During undergrad (which was 15 years ago now) I got up to purple belt in tae kwon do and enjoyed it quite a bit. I liked the fitness aspects, loved sparring, and tolerated forms.

I found out my local town hall has a kenpo club that meets twice a week and doesn't make you sign a long contract, which is what put a bad taste in my mouth last time i tried to get back into martial arts. How does kenpo compare to TKD? I know it's more punch than kick oriented, which is fine by me.

In terms of self-defense, is kenpo fairly practical? Or is it more sport oriented?

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 19, 2015

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I don't think kenpo is a competitive martial art actually

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Novum posted:

I don't think kenpo is a competitive martial art actually

At the risk of sounding stupid, does this mean it is purely self-defense oriented? Or it more for jumping around like an idiot at a State Fair demonstration stage, doing things that would get you pounded into the ground if you tried to use them in an actual fight?

E: My goals are 1) practical self defense, 2) fitness, 3) not sitting around playing video games when I'm not at work. I know there's no substitution for actually checking out a few classes, but if kenpo is generally a bad fit for those goals, I'd like to know that going in.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 19, 2015

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
This is from the OP regarding krav, but it applies in general to being "not competitive" in the context of this discussion:

quote:

What is taught is never tested in competition. Real, full-speed competition is an essential part of becoming competent at fighting, for conditioning against the adrenaline, developing skills of timing etc, and testing effectiveness of techniques.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Dantu posted:

E: My goals are 1) practical self defense, 2) fitness, 3) not sitting around playing video games when I'm not at work. I know there's no substitution for actually checking out a few classes, but if kenpo is generally a bad fit for those goals, I'd like to know that going in.

All 3 goals can be acquired by running. For #1, you probably want to include some sprint intervals. (Which will benefit #2 as well).

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Dantu posted:

At the risk of sounding stupid, does this mean it is purely self-defense oriented? Or it more for jumping around like an idiot at a State Fair demonstration stage, doing things that would get you pounded into the ground if you tried to use them in an actual fight?

I mean, actual practical self-defense generally has very little to do with hand-to-hand martial arts, but if you want to be able to beat people up and get in good shape then do a combat sport like wrestling, grappling, boxing, muay thai, MMA etc.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kekekela posted:

Green belt is....judo?

ya judo. I was a white belt for about a year before my instructors decided I was no longer a danger to myself or others. :v:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Kuvo posted:

ya judo. I was a white belt for about a year before my instructors decided I was no longer a danger to myself or others. :v:

Congrats!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

So are academy style places the norm now? Besides Gracie barras around me you have one "generic mma" gym, and then two Inosanto style places(wing chin/Kali/jkd/BJJ/muay Thai] is it just uneconomical to have a school for one style any more?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

They're more common but there are still lots of one-style gyms around. You get single style clubs pop up, but I think when the club gets big enough to buy or rent a large space of their own it makes a bit more sense to throw in with a few other coaches so that you can offer a full MMA curriculum. You get more students, you interest them in crosstraining, and the people who want to fight from the outset aren't turned away.

There's a place that's popped up in my city last year that's a dedicated BJJ place, but they also do a lot of yoga classes and it's got rock climbing walls around the mats, so it's a BJJ/Yoga/Rock Climbing/Strength and Conditioning gym. Pretty awesome idea , I might end up there in a year or two. I'd call that a "one style gym".

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
I've seen a combination Crossfit/Krav Maga gym, which I'm sure folks in this thread will enjoy.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Zeitgueist posted:

I've seen a combination Crossfit/Krav Maga gym, which I'm sure folks in this thread will enjoy.

My god, the injuries....

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Dantu posted:

In terms of self-defense, is kenpo fairly practical? Or is it more sport oriented?

Okay, resident shotokan-ish guy here. In this thread shotokan is about as TMA as most people are likely to get. There's a lot of forms to do, the sparring is not very hard, has referee stoppages after every point, minimal grappling, minimal if any actual shots to the head (you can still get points for striking unimpeded at the head, but you get penalized for actually connecting with uncontrolled force).

We think kenpo dudes are kind of silly. The problem with kempo/krav maga/'Shaolin' kung fu/bad shotokan is that there's no formal licensing board, they don't really compete in significant sparring, so they're prone to 'McDojo' syndrome. Some dude puts on a fancy gi and goes around charging people money to listen to his distilled wisdom, only the more he can talk him and his system up the more he can bilk you for. To tie this into the other conversation going on, that's often why MA folks (TMA or not) can sometimes get hung up on lineages.

wikipedia on American Kenpo posted:

Parker is the most prominent name in the Mitose lineage. A student of Chow in Hawaii for nearly six months, Parker moved to the US mainland to attend Brigham Young University. In 1957, he began teaching the kenpo that he had learned from Chow, and throughout his life modified and refined the art until it became Ed Parker's American Kenpo.

Nearly six months or training before college and this American weaboo starts his own style? Heh. Look, I'm not saying it's necessarily poo poo, but it's probably poo poo. The black belt American kenpo/shaolin kenpo folks I saw try out shotokan were very immobile, kicked off balance, and couldn't punch for poo poo. We stuck them with the yellow belts. (TKD black belts OTOH were real loving good once they got into a slightly more punchy mindset and tended to rocket up the ranks.)

Basically, if you're poo poo at teaching BJJ (or judo or muay thai or TKD), your students will be poo poo at BJJ, you and your students lose when you go to BJJ tournaments, no one who wants to be good at BJJ will be your student. With a McDojo you lose that edge, and you also lose that lineage thing. Even if I were to go back to shotokan I'd hunt for people who got their higher belts from people I know are good, mostly because I've other people out of that lineage do well. I can't do that with kenpo.

As for practical self-defense vs. sport martial arts, as mentioned a good pair of running shoes is most practical. There's a whole check down of self-defense stuff that you should never really need to practice in a dojo or martial arts gym. (Avoid bad situations, run, avoid bad situations, diffuse the situation, avoid bad situations, draw attention to yourself and the situation, avoid bad situations, just hand over your wallet jackass, avoid bad situations, responsibly carry a reasonable self defense weapon (gun, mace, taser)...)

That said, I'm sure you've got this 'what if????' thing going on and all those steps fail for one reason or another. In that case you're going to want to be able to fall back on a set of techniques you can perform instinctively that you have drilled and tested extensively against resisting and competent partners. That means you want a sport martial art. Yeah there are rules that you don't find on 'the street' but those rules are there to protect practitioners so that they can repeat their drills over and over and over and get that actual skill. I would say if you're super worried go for a good muay thai or boxing class, and/or judo jiujitsu. I'm a bit biased for striking because I think grappling hinders plan A. (run away) but there's a very good argument to be made for grappling since obviously the only reason you would not be enacting plan A. is if you're defending yourself in a grappling position.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I can understand now why people do it. We have 3 different BJJs gyms here. All but one are dodgy, and the only legit BJJ gym is really expensive with a contract and only 2 training times a week.

That is goddamn scandalous. Two sessions a week? Every BJJ place I've been to has at least 8x a week at varying times of the day.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Zeitgueist posted:

What's the story on Crossfit getting lumped in as 'basically crap' along with Krav Maga? I know with Krav Maga it's basically because the history of KM seems to be "Used by the IDF which is totally badass, therefore it is badass and you will be a badass for learning it" combined with the lack of standards, but Crossfit is something that I'm only dimly aware of as a thing that's out there.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

My understanding is that it's a form of exercise that masquerades itself as a form of training. The big selling point is that no two workouts are the same, you're doing different exercises every day, so you won't get bored.

A strength program will have a couple of big lifts which they use as indicators to quantify how strong you are. You'll do all kinds of other supporting exercises but they're all ultimately about strengthening the support structures in your body which will ultimately make the big indicator lifts go up. Progress can be quantified, measured, graphed over time.

With crossfit you don't have a quantifiable goal to improve towards, and the exercises are random, serving no higher purpose than an abstract goal of "getting fitter".

The reason it gets mocked on the internet though, is that there are a lot of underqualified people teaching other people dangerously bad lifting techniques, and they push people really hard to do exercises longer and harder than they should, using the idea that "the harder you work the fitter you'll get", again in a vague and unquantifiable way. This leads to a lot of injuries, and a weightlifting injury has the potential to be really serious because there's so much stress on your joints, it's not going to be something like a rolled ankle, it's going to be one of your bones snapping in half.

Having said that, I understand that there are "crossfit" gyms around run by qualified lifting coaches who use their own programming and are legit, but they're a minority

Another amusing thing about crossfit is "crossfit competitions" which are won by people who don't do crossfit but actually train their bodies instead.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 20, 2015

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Buried alive posted:

What's the story on Crossfit getting lumped in as 'basically crap' along with Krav Maga? I know with Krav Maga it's basically because the history of KM seems to be "Used by the IDF which is totally badass, therefore it is badass and you will be a badass for learning it" combined with the lack of standards, but Crossfit is something that I'm only dimly aware of as a thing that's out there.

There's a bunch of threads on it in GBS you could look at, but what it boils down to is complex lifts/body weight exercises, done at weights the people doing them shouldn't be doing, encouraged to be done with lovely form, till exhaustion, where upon they end up injured. On top of which they are all generally really jazzed about it and will use any excuse to tell you all about it. Which causes people on the internet to be not jazzed about it and use any excuse to tell you all about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Don't they do olympic lifts and deadlifts and poo poo in crossfit so nothing is stopping you from doing standard progression on those while doing crossfit.

Anyway Michael Langhi is giving a seminar at my gym this month and I'm thinking of attending. I'm just a bit dubious about how much a spazzy no-skills, no-stripes whitebelt like me will get out of it.

• Locked thread