Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I was really expecting "He killed himself"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Manuel Calavera posted:

He's a sheep, he knows what it's like to be herded. Therefore, he knows how to herd. I'm calling it now and just, ugh. :argh:

Occam's razor so you probably win.This being Holbrook, I was thinking "Sheep has latent dog DNA for some reason."

quote:

One Big Happy

I've always liked the Ninja Kitty strips and am glad DeTorie seems to be sticking to showing just a paw or a tail. I was worried that now that NK is indoors, he was going to start showing the whole cat like he did on the sidewalk, and ruin the fun.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone still have the foob font?

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

TofuDiva posted:

Occam's razor so you probably win.This being Holbrook, I was thinking "Sheep has latent dog DNA for some reason."

His girlfriend's a dog, too. Maybe he picked up a habit or something.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Manuel Calavera posted:

Mother Goose & Grimm

Do you think Mike Peters just screams the entire time he's drawing and inking his strip?

Bloom County

Calvin And Hobbes

It's starting to weird me out how Suzie's pupils disappear when she gets mad.

Ripley's

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Classic Prince Valiant

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

goatface posted:

Does anyone still have the foob font?

Look like you already found it, but I just uploaded it, so here it is and some others, specifically:
  • Arsanic (general-purpose comic-y font)
  • Gamgasm (9 Chickweed Lane)
  • Humor Sans (XKCD)
  • JanesWorld
  • Luannfont
  • Minimum Security
  • Pearls (Pearls Before Swine)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

So John X keeps thrilling us with new daring exploits each week. Meanwhile, the Phantom spent an eternity showing off his collection of items that really belonged in a museum, beating up a criminal he had already caught for no reason, and then slowly being poisoned by a snakebite. Can we just keep John X?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

SomeMathGuy posted:

So John X keeps thrilling us with new daring exploits each week. Meanwhile, the Phantom spent an eternity showing off his collection of items that really belonged in a museum, beating up a criminal he had already caught for no reason, and then slowly being poisoned by a snakebite. Can we just keep John X?

Don't forget that John X beat up a bunch of prisoners for no reason.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

True, but he handled it much more quickly than the Phantom did, and he was (ostensibly) doing it to get information.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

EasyEW posted:

It's not just the art. The only ones that don't talk in the same beat-you-to-death-with-a-Thesaurus style are speaking German. The rest of them are all the same person without the art, and what's worse, that person is Bulwer-Lytton.

As much as we've kicked around Gunther lately, a strip like Luann doesn't have that problem, at least not to that extreme degree. That's not setting aside the problems it does have, but still...

I love to hate-read Luann, I really do, but I have to agree with you.

*I can tell all recurring characters apart with no effort.
*All recurring characters have recognizably separate personalities and motivations
*I always understand what's happening in the plot

This is not to say that the art isn't lazy, that the characters aren't horrible people with selfish motivations, or that the plot isn't stupid. All this is true and more. But at least Greg has worked out the basics of storytelling as have been handed down throughout human civilization. Brooke has not.

Brooke's comics don't feature any of the qualities listed above. Whatever he or his few remaining fans may believe, this doesn't make his work artistic or intellectual; it makes it confusing and boring. Luann may be lovely, but it is neither confusing nor boring. All I can really figure out from the plot of Chickweed is that Brooke really wants to gently caress a nazi. I'm sure if he ever witnessed a nazi loving a ballerina he'd be coming for days.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Look like you already found it, but I just uploaded it, so here it is and some others, specifically:
  • Arsanic (general-purpose comic-y font)
  • Gamgasm (9 Chickweed Lane)
  • Humor Sans (XKCD)
  • JanesWorld
  • Luannfont
  • Minimum Security
  • Pearls (Pearls Before Swine)

I didn't actually, I pootled that together out of the rest of the comic. Thanks for the files!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

EasyEW posted:

Super-Fun-Pak Comix

I'm surprised that Pooch Café hasn't ever done that joke for real. The strip has featured Poop-Flinging Comix before.

Pooch Café

Oh, cool, the already impossible weather formation just does whatever the plot wants it to for no reason, just like the real sharknado.

Ballard Street

John Lithgow really does not like Jim.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Working Daze actually does a better "bad management" joke than the office comics.

Working Daze, meanwhile, sticks to "character has singular trait".

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Geez, what kind of run down dump are they in that they don't even provide curtains or towels?

I've checked in on this thread every few months since the very first comic strip megathread, and it astonishes me that Brooke still hasn't figured out that shadows increase saturation, not just make things darker. like he could go to the comic book store and get a $10 "how to color comics" book and figure this out, but he still just uses the dodge and burn tools like a rank amateur, making everyone look like they're covered in coal dust and sweat.

quote:

Oh, you are not that drunk. Sober up, you drama queen.

Why is there a tiny elevator in the back of this guy's cab?

E: also the fuel pump relay would be in the rear of the car. :spergin:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 17, 2015

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Darthemed posted:

Calvin And Hobbes

It's starting to weird me out how Suzie's pupils disappear when she gets mad.

They don't, they're just over on the left side of her eyes because she's looking over her shoulder.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'd just like to remind people that this Chickweed storyline has been going on since November of 2013.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Evil Mastermind posted:

Workig Daze, meanwhile, sticks to "character has singular trait".

Jesus, that background.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'd just like to remind people that this Chickweed storyline has been going on since November of 2013.

The entire strip really is just "Snarky white girls seducing Nazis" at this point.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Destroying the third reich, one infected crotch at a time.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

This is a lovely joke and a lovely comic, but I would totally be a regular at a restaurant where they cook traditional North American food, no lie.

tbf, I'll try basically anything twice, but I can't argue with buffalo.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
I actually think Luann's art is above average for a newspaper strip but then again that's a really low bar. There's actually some variety between panels and it's not just talking heads. The characters all look like muppets though.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Which newspapers publish 9 Chickweed Lane?

Do any actual newspapers publish Chickweed in their print editions at this point?

The last year or two have been so extraordinarily bad even for him that I would not be at all surprised if his editors are just running out the clock on his contract.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Midnight Moth posted:

I actually think Luann's art is above average for a newspaper strip but then again that's a really low bar. There's actually some variety between panels and it's not just talking heads. The characters all look like muppets though.

And he has exactly one male and one female character model, particularly noticeable in the "3/4 walking" pose.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I look forward to never seeing his vision of the man who has just had his world rocked by intense sex again.

edit: Brooke that is. That frazzled dude he draws is super creepy.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

The Sphinxster posted:

I look forward to never seeing his vision of the man who has just had his world rocked by intense sex again.

But... but... that's the only joke he knows!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

The Sphinxster posted:

They tell you to write what you know. :mmmhmm:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Stultus Maximus posted:

They tell you to write what you know. :mmmhmm:

All he knows is gaping maws and rear end-less women.

Oh, wait...

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Lots of catching up to do. Hopefully I got these in somewhat the right order. Click for huge!

Luann

Is this how he got all grizzled? By riding an old lady bus?

I ain't gonna play Sun City.

Sally Forth

She's making conversation. No need to be an enormous bitch about it.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Love it.

I'm sure somebody wants this! No clue what the av text should be, though.

Juliet Jones

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Wait, someone made a competent deduction in Newspaper Spidey? When did Mysterio become such a threat?

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
That Peruvian cab driver knows how much Gunther digs his mom so he got him a literal busload of mom stand-ins.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He's found him a whole bus-load of cougars to confront his mother-issues.

I think that van driver might be a sort of freudian god.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

E: also the fuel pump relay would be in the rear of the car. :spergin:

Really depends on the car. I had a car where it was located in the passengers footwell. loving thing kept dying until we switched it with one from another car. Both cars still run fine today with the switched relays...

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Julet Esqu posted:

My God, it's the perfect panel.

(Also, MJ is reminding me of Margot Kidder.)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Julet Esqu posted:

It's a great panel, it might not need one. Just silent commentary on the person's posts.

Also, for fucks sake, 9 Chickweed Lane. I just... Jesus. I don't even know what to say any more. Over a loving year.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
The characters in 9CWL spending the entire year loving sounds about right.

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Nah, people have been yelling at this strip for much longer than the last three stories.

Can he at least put some pants on before you throw him out the window?

Pibgorn

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
We'd better have some loud sex while we're trying to avoid detection by the Nazis!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Julet Esqu posted:

Plane hulls, my subject.
     Vaginas, my medium.

• Locked thread