Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Anatharon posted:

There's a bit of a difficulty spike in Dracula's castle, but even when I was younger none of the pre-castle bosses really matched up to Brachyura other than maybe Goliath.

Albus and Barlowe are definitely harder than the crab. Honestly I don't find Brachyura hard at all because you barely have to move to avoid his attacks.

Speaking of Albus and Barlowe, their fights on hard mode are awesome. Albus gets 3 new elemental glyph attacks and Barlowe is all around faster. You have to bounce on his head to avoid the attack where he freezes the floor. OoE has the best hard mode.

Pope Guilty posted:

Is it normal, having played Shanoa, for Johnathan, Charlotte, and Soma to feel kind of stiff? I keep thinking I have more time to move than I actually do in Dawn and Portrait.

Shanoa does feel a lot more responsive to me. I think it's her really smooth back dash paired with the mobility glyphs that you get. Having two attack buttons also helps. Honestly I think her animations are way better too.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

Albus and Barlowe are definitely harder than the crab. Honestly I don't find Brachyura hard at all because you barely have to move to avoid his attacks.

Speaking of Albus and Barlowe, their fights on hard mode are awesome. Albus gets 3 new elemental glyph attacks and Barlowe is all around faster. You have to bounce on his head to avoid the attack where he freezes the floor. OoE has the best hard mode.

Shanoa does feel a lot more responsive to me. I think it's her really smooth back dash paired with the mobility glyphs that you get. Having two attack buttons also helps. Honestly I think her animations are way better too.

Albus can be tricky but Barlowe's pretty easy. The only attack he has that's very hard to dodge is the one where he charges you. It took me awhile to get the hang of dodging it.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Does anyone still play Harmony of Despair on 360?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Watching ADGQ made me wonder; SotN was defintely the best selling CV game. Was there an actual reason Konami never made an HD remake, maybe with a hard mode?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anatharon posted:

Watching ADGQ made me wonder; SotN was defintely the best selling CV game. Was there an actual reason Konami never made an HD remake, maybe with a hard mode?

"Best selling Castlevania game" is still not actually that great selling.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

Square never remade FF7 either.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
SOTN might be the most enduring game but it definitely wasn't the best selling, The original EU release in particular sold terribly.

They didn't remake it in HD because it would have been really expensive and the company didn't really care about 2D anyway, they'd rather have put that money towards a 3D game.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Humerus posted:

Square never remade FF7 either.

The difference there is that it would be MUCH easier to update the pixel art from SOTN than to re-render/up-rez all of the backgrounds for FFVII. I'm assuming that's why Square isn't remaking FFVII.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't think that's true at all, unless you'd be content with them doing a crappy job.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

The difference there is that it would be MUCH easier to update the pixel art from SOTN than to re-render/up-rez all of the backgrounds for FFVII. I'm assuming that's why Square isn't remaking FFVII.

Humerus posted:

Seriously, people are still buying the original PS1 version of SotN and FFVII. Some people may want an HD version of either, but as long as people still buy the originals, neither company has any reasonable reason to actually spend the money for new versions. Konami especially since Castlevania's not really a big seller.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

You'd be surprised how much work goes into HD sprite animation these days. Drawing, polishing, coloring, hitbox alignment, damage zones, etc. And each frame needs adjustments and fine tuning. For small enemies, thst can be anywhere from 20 to 100 frames. Larger enemies and bosses, thousands. PCs and massive bosses, tens of thousands.

One of the methods they use to reduce that is by path-animating a group of layers on a wire frame, but its really easy to spot and would look jagged and out of place in an HD Sprite set.

And pixel sprites on a 16-9 aspect look like a 90s sprite comic. Its why the x360 release forced 4-3 with arcade sides.

The best example of what you want would probably be SotN with Order of Ecclesia's art shift, but even that won't be the seller they are looking for.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

i really have to wonder why konami can't get castlevania to sell

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Lords of Shadow was the most successful CV game ever and the followups would have been successful if the developers weren't such chumps.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Which I don't get. LoS was lame. :shrug:

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
It had better marketing I guess.

Also I thought they were doing an upscaled but not really HD rerelease of FFVII. So maybe there's some hope for a kind of half assed one. Castlevania one? It probably won't happen still but I can hope.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It wasn't a great game but it got a big marketing push and the bar for "most successful CV game" wasn't necessarily as high as people might have presumed.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It wasn't a great game but it got a big marketing push and the bar for "most successful CV game" wasn't necessarily as high as people might have presumed.

Is there anywhere to get real solid numbers on them at this point, or at least the older games? OoE apparently sold the best out of the DS CV games but that's about all I could find.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Lords of Shadow 2 was such a bizarre and terrible game. Pretty strong beginning too. I think even Yaiba was almost better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It really is amazing just how badly LoS2 poo poo the bed. It probably should have been obvious when Mercury Steam was like "no, we totally intended for this to be our last game" at the same time as shoving in every single plot point they could think of.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

i admit i like the graphics and design in LoS2 but everything regarding the gameplay is really lame

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Neo Rasa posted:

I think even Yaiba was almost better.

Not even close. LOS2 flip-flopping between kinda okay and terrible makes it seem worse than it actually is, I think, but Yaiba is just wall-to-wall poo poo.

Anatharon posted:

Is there anywhere to get real solid numbers on them at this point, or at least the older games? OoE apparently sold the best out of the DS CV games but that's about all I could find.

I don't have time to dig them up now but I'm sure they've been posted in this thread a few times already. Off the top of my head, COTM was by far the most successful handheld game with over a million sales, and each successive game dropped off dramatically. I wanna say Ecclesia didn't even break 100k.

Of course, you can't really make a direct comparison between today's sales figures and figures from decades ago - none of the classic CV games sold as much as LOS but they were successful and very profitable by the standards of the day, whereas LOS's sales (1.5m? I forget) aren't anything to get excited about nowadays and LOS2 was a genuine flop.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think if LoS 2 didn't have so much lovely stealth in it it would be a totally okay game, on the level of like a Darksiders 2, if still not as good LoS 1. It's a real shame because it does have a lot of parts that are really strong, and it really looks incredible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

I think if LoS 2 didn't have so much lovely stealth in it it would be a totally okay game, on the level of like a Darksiders 2, if still not as good LoS 1. It's a real shame because it does have a lot of parts that are really strong, and it really looks incredible.

It's got a lot of things wrong with it unfortunately, even ignoring that.

The leveling system is really bad. I get why they thought it was a good idea but it doesn't work out in the long run and is at best grindy as poo poo. A couple of the bosses are pretty good but the general enemy encounter is actually worse than LoS. The secrets and backtracking are again an idea where they had an okay idea (Metroidvania in a city!) but the level design made it an absolute chore to try backtracking for genuinely uninteresting items. The plot doesn't actually make any goddamn sense and it's unwilling to actually stick to any one tone so Dracula's kind of all over the place. The stealth is like the most obvious 'what the gently caress were they thinking?' thing but far from the only one. It's a shame because it does have some genuinely good ideas they're just buried under a bunch of other stuff.

I wonder what the hell Mercury Steam is going to do after this. They've kinda vanished off the face of the earth. Their website hasn't updated in years and their twitter died just before the release of LoS2.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The secrets and backtracking are again an idea where they had an okay idea (Metroidvania in a city!) but the level design made it an absolute chore to try backtracking for genuinely uninteresting items.

It becomes really dumb when you realize they gave Alucard an ability to teleport over vast ranges onto climbable poo poo and it would have made backtracking in the main game so much simpler if Drac ever got it.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

It's got a lot of things wrong with it unfortunately, even ignoring that.

The leveling system is really bad. I get why they thought it was a good idea but it doesn't work out in the long run and is at best grindy as poo poo. A couple of the bosses are pretty good but the general enemy encounter is actually worse than LoS. The secrets and backtracking are again an idea where they had an okay idea (Metroidvania in a city!) but the level design made it an absolute chore to try backtracking for genuinely uninteresting items. The plot doesn't actually make any goddamn sense and it's unwilling to actually stick to any one tone so Dracula's kind of all over the place. The stealth is like the most obvious 'what the gently caress were they thinking?' thing but far from the only one. It's a shame because it does have some genuinely good ideas they're just buried under a bunch of other stuff.

I wonder what the hell Mercury Steam is going to do after this. They've kinda vanished off the face of the earth. Their website hasn't updated in years and their twitter died just before the release of LoS2.

Just beat LOS2 the other day and completely agree.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man, I'd forgotten how good Circle of the Moon is, I remember finding it too punishing when I played it originally but it seems just right now. The only minus points are the weird about of rooms that are just long vertical spaces with a few platforms and nothing else and that not every area has its own music.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Its been mentioned before that Demon/Dark Souls is the true successor to castlevania (and Bloodborne looks to be even more so), which makes me wonder why Konami hasn't tried to rip it off and instead went for the God of War ripoff.

Suppose God of War is/was more profitable than the Souls games.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Because Dark Souls didn't exist yet and Demon Souls was a cult game unlike God of War.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I really don't see the similarities. The Souls series aren't really platformers and combat has never really been Castlevania's strong point.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

No but they are big on exploration and have simple-yet-complicated combat

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I would talk about a From Software developed Castlevania game but I find it distracting to type with an erection

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Sakurazuka posted:

Man, I'd forgotten how good Circle of the Moon is, I remember finding it too punishing when I played it originally but it seems just right now. The only minus points are the weird about of rooms that are just long vertical spaces with a few platforms and nothing else and that not every area has its own music.
I'm playing it for the first time, and quite enjoying it. The card drop rate seems stupidly low, but I guess there aren't too many of them to collect, I think I have 3 of the 20 so far. There are a few areas though, like you say, where you're just climbing up platforms with not much in it but skeletons and constantly respawning enemies.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The card drop system is super weird and both times I've played through I think I ended up with less than half the available cards. They're nice bonuses but not essential anyway, at least to finish the game normally.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I would talk about a From Software developed Castlevania game but I find it distracting to type with an erection

Platinum Games presents Castlevania: Revengeance. Make it happen Konami.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
I wonder if there's any room for Twilight-ing Castlevania up just a bit to make it more appealing to new audiences. It's not as if previous protags haven't already been bishojou-friendly to begin with. (Not that it can succeed without good writing, of course - something the LoS games were horrific at)

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Let's see... Franchises Platinum should reboot...

Castlevania
Mega Man
Bionic Commando
Strider
Anything

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Jetfire posted:

I wonder if there's any room for Twilight-ing Castlevania up just a bit to make it more appealing to new audiences. It's not as if previous protags haven't already been bishojou-friendly to begin with. (Not that it can succeed without good writing, of course - something the LoS games were horrific at)

The funny thing is, despite modern misconceptions of the genre, the gothic horror protagonist was the 17th century equivalent of a Twilight heartthrob.

Regarding LoS, there is the skeleton of an actually good Dracula origin story and Castlevania plot already written into the game, but then when they get to the critical point of driving that plot thread home, they chose to take a ninety degree turn and go somewhere weird with it.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Let's see... Franchises Platinum should reboot...

Strider
Oy, the latest Strider was a pretty OK Metroidvania I'd say.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

The card drop system is super weird and both times I've played through I think I ended up with less than half the available cards. They're nice bonuses but not essential anyway, at least to finish the game normally.

I wonder if the glitch in the GBA version is still in- you could like activate a card combo, pause right away before the power actually "activates" and then go into the card menu and choose whatever combo you wanted (you won't be able to see what the cards are, but you can still select them and when you come out of the menu that combo power will be activated). I remember that made replays of the game a lot more fun as you weren't reliant on the dumb rare card drops happening to do whatever you wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Anonymous Robot posted:

The funny thing is, despite modern misconceptions of the genre, the gothic horror protagonist was the 17th century equivalent of a Twilight heartthrob.

Regarding LoS, there is the skeleton of an actually good Dracula origin story and Castlevania plot already written into the game, but then when they get to the critical point of driving that plot thread home, they chose to take a ninety degree turn and go somewhere weird with it.

I just beat 2 and I'm still confused about the story