Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

dave cutler confirmed responsible for baby death, is still more hated for creating windows nt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
drive letters are good. if they are on separate filesystems they should have separate roots.

if ur problem is drive identification use a drive label
if ur problem is something else take your meds

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
drive letters i guess make sense when you have a small personal microcomputer that has external disk drives that take physical media to give you a nice convenient letter ID for each of them that you can put a sticker on the drives to identify which is which if you happen to have a few for whatever reason, and its 1987

they suck when you're using an actual computer that has potentially just either one main disk managed by the OS, or the opposite, tons of local and remote filesystems combined into one environmen

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

drive letters are good. if they are on separate filesystems they should have separate roots.

if ur problem is drive identification use a drive label
if ur problem is something else take your meds

nt doesn't require drive letters anyway. you can use folder paths as mount points for volumes.

it's not common but it's fully supported

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
"not common but it's fully supported" means third-party programs will break in new and interesting ways

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Sniep posted:

drive letters i guess make sense when you have a small personal microcomputer that has external disk drives that take physical media to give you a nice convenient letter ID for each of them that you can put a sticker on the drives to identify which is which if you happen to have a few for whatever reason, and its 1987

they suck when you're using an actual computer that has potentially just either one main disk managed by the OS, or the opposite, tons of local and remote filesystems combined into one environmen

if you wanna sperg about mounts microsoft got you covered http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc938934.aspx

still i prefer not having all my files in one namespace

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

anthonypants posted:

"not common but it's fully supported" means third-party programs will break in new and interesting ways

third party programs won't be able to tell, just like how they can't tell that the current drive letters are symbolic links to the actual volumes

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sniep posted:

drive letters i guess make sense when you have a small personal microcomputer that has external disk drives

barely

quote:

that take physical media to give you a nice convenient letter ID for each of them that you can put a sticker on the drives to identify which is which if you happen to have a few for whatever reason, and its 1987

try 1982

by 1987 modern systems would let you have multiple disks with the same name mounted at once and software just worked, because how the software worked and how things were presented to the user were kept distinct.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

anthonypants posted:

this is why the vRefNum,parID,name tulle in the classic Mac APIs were genius

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

if you wanna sperg about mounts microsoft got you covered http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc938934.aspx

still i prefer not having all my files in one namespace

i dont, i could care less what hacks they put in place to let you 'mount' drives like real computers

just use a OS that is built with actual filesystems for real use in mind during design

pram
Jun 10, 2001
unix is the pinnacle of human achievement and death to those who insult it

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

eschaton posted:

try 1982

by 1987 modern systems would let you have multiple disks with the same name mounted at once and software just worked, because how the software worked and how things were presented to the user were kept distinct.

users are dumb though and for some reason microsoft cares about that

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
drive letters are kind of weird when you have more than 1 internal drive in your computer.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
they named the first drive the letter C

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
that's because a and b are for your floppies

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pram posted:

:unsmigghh:

anthonypants posted:

normally yes, in this case no unless you've done something stupid and have a system volume that doesn't map to c:

windows is poo poo for edge cases, but this has been baked in since nt was a thing

eschaton posted:

yeah and remember what happened when you had the same filename in the same path on more than one drive?

edge cases killed that because you need consistent behaviour from your filesystem

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Phoenixan posted:

that's because a and b are for your floppies

my floppy is named neither a nor b

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

infernal machines posted:

nt doesn't require drive letters anyway. you can use folder paths as mount points for volumes.

it's not common but it's fully supported

wont everything be on C: then

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i mean if its on C: then its hardly without drive letters

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
look, i am a successful project manager for a respected firm, if i may say so myself. I want my children to grow up to Understand Computers, because that's the future!

why would i choose a computer like those competitors? There is no way my Children could understand that, so I chose Microsoft's next-gen CP/M operating system, DOS. It has drive letters.

so

my children are able to identify the drives based on letter, which i have affixed to each device, A, B and even C. I have a C drive because I am a successful professional who has done quite well for himself, so of course i got the Fixed Disk the salesman recommended. I put a "C" sticker on the mainframe itself so they know which each of the letters represents.

why on earth would i get them an inferior computer system that even I cannot understand?!? that just doesnt add up. I like to stick to the ABCs.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Snapchat A Titty posted:

wont everything be on C: then

everything will point to the guid for the drive its located on

in the ui, probably c: , yes

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

do cloned drives clone the guid or is that a hardware thing?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
guids are a hack to prevent users from having to use meaningful identifiers or even comprehend what a disk is

if you understand that one hard drive can be replaced by another with the same data on it, you're beyond windows level

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram posted:

harsh but fair

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
amigaos :swoon: :allears: :neckbeard:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
fools i have looked at the design notes for NT and they are beyond your ken

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

lol. So Windows relies on drive letters, there's no way to get rid of them. Mounting another drive to some folder on C: doesn't seem like a system without letters.

Oh and "everything"? Windows software (even Explorer) doesn't seem to link to GUIDS, but letters/paths.

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

my floppy is named neither a nor b

its your d

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Dolomite posted:

its your d

crew cordially welcomes its newest member: DOLOMITE!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

do cloned drives clone the guid or is that a hardware thing?

you can clone the guid but it's not default behaviour and windows will change one if it detects two drives with the same

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

speaking of mount points, do windows symlinks work properly?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

yeah and remember what happened when you had the same filename in the same path on more than one drive?

edge cases killed that because you need consistent behaviour from your filesystem

never had that problem because I don't use dos or windows

the Mac dealt with cases like that just fine, even in 1987 ("Year of the Mac II")

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sniep posted:

yes drive letters are good for consumers and may or may not be used on a server. but like always, you have a choice on windows that you don't get on a Linux.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
some reasons for having drive letters:
makes it easy to identify drives
prevents conflict caused by lack of hardware level unique ids

reasons for not having drive letters:
Autism

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Shaggar posted:

reasons for having drive letters:
Autism

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, how do all the Mac and Linux user manage to identify their drives just fine without drive letters?!

Face it, drive letters are dumb and outdated. Just like everything else Windows. But it runs my games, I guess.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fame Douglas posted:

Face it, drive letters are dumb and outdated. Just like everything else Windows. But it runs my games, I guess.

even that's not necessarily exclusive to windows these days (it'll run them better than anything else tho)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

drive letters work great now that they're assigned at random to flash devices instead of in a predictable order to the devices the floppy and IDE controllers

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
what drive letter does the cloud get? id say "C" but folks in the know tell me that one is taken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
microsoft windows. a POS OS in severe decline. with only the most desperate holdouts defending its beleaguered walls against the siege of the righteous

• Locked thread