Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I never cared for Sam Kieth or Kelley Jones (or Simon Bisley, who I always seem to lump in with them), but I understand why people do. I guess I prefer a smoother, cleaner, less abstract kind of artist, which is why my favorites are probably Allred, Noto, Cooke, Maguire, Adam Hughes, and Art Adams.

But people often forget Sam Kieth penciled the first few issues of Gaiman's Sandman, and it always looked really sloppy and rushed. Some of that may have been the coloring, but Sandman got a lot better when Mike Dringenberg took over the pencil art, and I'll be the first one to admit Kieth's work on Maxx, Marvel Comics Presents, and even those Batman covers I personally don't like is a lot better than his Sandman art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

But people often forget Sam Kieth penciled the first few issues of Gaiman's Sandman, and it always looked really sloppy and rushed. Some of that may have been the coloring, but Sandman got a lot better when Mike Dringenberg took over the pencil art, and I'll be the first one to admit Kieth's work on Maxx, Marvel Comics Presents, and even those Batman covers I personally don't like is a lot better than his Sandman art.

The fact that Keith hated working on Sandman might explain that.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Alhazred posted:

The fact that Keith hated working on Sandman might explain that.

That makes a lot of sense. I don't think Sandman really felt like Sandman until #8, the Death introduction (with Dringenberg art). It felt like a completely different book before that, with the Kieth art and horror focus up until then.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That makes a lot of sense. I don't think Sandman really felt like Sandman until #8, the Death introduction (with Dringenberg art). It felt like a completely different book before that, with the Kieth art and horror focus up until then.

Sam Kieth has said that he felt like Jimi Hendrix in the Beatles.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I hope Sam Kieth getting creator credit for every comic worked out for him through the years, though :)

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
And even Gaiman has said that it took him until issue 8 to find his voice.

Heck, the very first Sandman TPB was just A Doll's House, with "The Sound of Her Wings" as a prologue.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I'm not a fan but I respect trying different poo poo and having a personal style. Still gross looking at Bane's infected underarms, though.

Early Sandman is horrible to look at sometimes. Some characters worked really really well in the style but holy poo poo, way preferred what followed.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I love the Knightfall stuff. If you're stylizing at all you might as well go maximum grotesque for that character.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

I love the Knightfall stuff. If you're stylizing at all you might as well go maximum grotesque for that character.
Just pretend it's how Bane sees things as he's undergoing Venom-induced physiological metamorphosis. That brain is getting all kinds of hosed-up signals.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Irish Joe posted:

Astro City #19

Cover v Interior -- I know its not fair to compare the two, but..

:lol:

I don't get it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I don't get it.

I'm guessing the quality of the cover by Ross and the interior, not so much.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I want to see a reverse of that, where the interior is the most beautiful, expensive art you can cram into a comic and the cover is just something some schlub threw to together an hour before the deadline.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Babe Magnet posted:

I want to see a reverse of that, where the interior is the most beautiful, expensive art you can cram into a comic and the cover is just something some schlub threw to together an hour before the deadline.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Astro City's interior art is like the worst part of Astro City for me. Sometimes it's okay, but most of the time it just looks off, especially faces. It has this habit of making it look like a lot of characters have palsy or something because one side just slumps down. At its worst, it strips the wonder of what should have been awe-inspiring or emotional moments. The best I can say about it is that sometimes it doesn't get in the way of the otherwise phenomenal stories. It's really unfortunate that it's contrasted with Alex Ross's work too, which I realize some people aren't a fan of, but I think looks great.

Edit: Like what the hell is going on with Samaritan's (the guy in red on the right) eyes

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 18, 2015

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

Astro City #19

Cover v Interior -- I know its not fair to compare the two, but..

:lol:

Reminds of the Buffy comic:

And to think that we might've gotten Pia Guerra.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Fallen Rib

I never cared for Sam Kieth or Kelley Jones (or Simon Bisley, who I always seem to lump in with them), but I understand why people do. I guess I prefer a smoother, cleaner, less abstract kind of artist, which is why my favorites are probably Allred, Noto, Cooke, Maguire, Adam Hughes, and Art Adams.

Funnily enough Jones did Seasons of Mist and Dreams of a 1,000 Cats for Sandman and that turned out pretty well.

The one thing I love about Jones' artwork is that it is very expressive over something like Liefeld who also makes wonky anatomy on his characters. With those Bane posters, while it clearly insane how muscular he is that is supposed to be the point. Bane is supposed to come out looking like some oppressive force of physical nature. He is supposed to a giant physical threat against Batman. It was never supposed to be realistic.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

Astro City's interior art is like the worst part of Astro City for me. Sometimes it's okay, but most of the time it just looks off, especially faces. It has this habit of making it look like a lot of characters have palsy or something because one side just slumps down. At its worst, it strips the wonder of what should have been awe-inspiring or emotional moments. The best I can say about it is that sometimes it doesn't get in the way of the otherwise phenomenal stories. It's really unfortunate that it's contrasted with Alex Ross's work too, which I realize some people aren't a fan of, but I think looks great.

Edit: Like what the hell is going on with Samaritan's (the guy in red on the right) eyes

I appreciate that the artist tries to give every character some different physical characteristics (in build, faces, etc), even if he seems to re-use some models every few arcs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can you guess who drew this variant cover?

What the gently caress gun is that supposed to be Carl?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Why that's a good old fashioned laser pipe. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

It's almost boring trying to describe what's wrong with Rob's art anymore, so I will just say that it's almost shocking to me that the zombie on the bottom left isn't also gritting his teeth with super tight lips and a furrowed brow. Also I love that they apparently found laser space guns since I stopped reading Walking Dead.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Is it just me or is the laser angling up from the barrel?

Laser-guided laser?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also I'll note that it's a variant for #1, in which Michonne does not appear.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ahahaha where the gently caress is that arm coming from?

Oh Rob you magnificent bastard.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

zoux posted:

Why would I have to guess? It's got his name on it.

(Also I thought we were supposed to stop posting him.)

Fuckstick Electric
Nov 25, 2012

Batgirl's eidetic memory visualisation is like a cross between Daredevil's radar sense and Sherlock's power of deduction.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Speaking of Sam Keith, like Kelley Jones a couple of months ago, he just got a spot on the Batman backup.

Batman #38

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

zoux posted:

It amuses me that he'll still do anything to avoid drawing feet.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

Speaking of Sam Keith, like Kelley Jones a couple of months ago, he just got a spot on the Batman backup.

Batman #38

Words fail to convey the greatness of this.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Yer man in the back there shooting the zombie's head off cracks me up more than it probably should.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Batman #38

Kieths art in the backup was some of the best artwork I have seen by him in a loooooong time.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

zoux posted:

It looks like he drew it so both of Michonne's arms were holding the sword on the left and then said "gently caress it, two swords is way cooler!" and drew a third arm coming out of her back. Also, where is the blade for that second sword?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Metal Loaf posted:

Yer man in the back there shooting the zombie's head off cracks me up more than it probably should.

It's like one of those Super Soakers with the backpack reservoirs.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, wetter is better, after all.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
How loving hard is it for Liefield to google 'guns'? The one in the foreground is paper thin and the one in the background looks like a loving pipe.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

While he's at it he could google teeth.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

if you're buying a Rob Liefeld alternate cover you're buying it for irony value, not because it's going to be good art, and he probably recognizes that by now, so why the hell would he actually improve his art

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'm guessing the quality of the cover by Ross and the interior, not so much.

Yeah this person is being dumb. Mediocre inked work does not mean the art is suddenly awful.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

laz0rbeak posted:

Yeah this person is being dumb. Mediocre inked work does not mean the art is suddenly awful.

that human looks like they are melting

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

laz0rbeak posted:

Serious question: how much credit/blame do inkers actually deserve? I know Kirby had at least one guy who would completely ignore background characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

prefect posted:

Serious question: how much credit/blame do inkers actually deserve? I know Kirby had at least one guy who would completely ignore background characters.

I'm pulling this straight out of my rear end but I would guess the blame would be split three ways between the penciller/inker/colorist. They are all equally capable of loving up or saving a piece.