Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.

Daryl Surat posted:

There is one bit of equipment I've always been curious about : hardware compressors/gates. Anyone use these? Do they work as I envision, which is to say that it keeps your recorded waveform roughly consistent regardless of whether you speak quietly or yell?

The dbx286s is amazing, and I'm looking to buy a lot more of them. It provides a lot of gain for whatever mic or signal you use, which keeps you from needing to use noisy gain on your interface or mixer. The Expander/Gate and compressor really help you craft the sound, too, and the built in de-esser works great as well. Can't recommend it enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Something weird is happening. I have an old episode that is getting WAY too many downloads. 25 to 30 a day for the past ten days. This is wildly outside of the norm, as I am a super small fry. Old episodes usually get 1 or 2 downloads a week. It isn't bleeding into my other episodes either. I've only got the Libsyn basic package, so I can't see my referrers, and my googling doesn't show any mentions. I'm worried I'm some ASMR fetish superstar, since the episode is only wierd chirping noises (it's about Botanicula). Do I have to just pony up the extra money to get the better stat package to figure out this mystery or does anyone else have an idea? The episode is here http://hoursplayed.libsyn.com/botanicula-0

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I don't run my own podcast but I was on Fanboy Planet recently.
I had a lot of fun doing it but I don't think I could manage my life now and run a podcast.

Honestly, I don't know if this is the place for it but I would like to be a guest on more podcasts. I'm a disabled combat veteran who became a horror author and I think I have a pretty unique backstory... and I'd much rather be doing podcasts with goons so if anyone has any guest space I sure wouldn't mind. Plus you know... doing things with goons from CC is always fun. :)

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Back in March I launched a podcast through The Sundress Academy for the Arts. Technically it’s a podcast about writers and writing, but we try to avoid talking about the craft. Instead, we focus on getting to know the people behind their work.

Genre
Literary Arts, Interview, Comedy

Frequency
Weekly, alternating between episodes and promos.

Link
https://www.saftacast.com

I welcome any constructive feedback about the show, especially from people outside of writing circles.

The show’s starting to find its groove, and is getting some traction, but more needs to be done. For one, I want to get it up on iTunes in the next month or so. Also, I recently learned about Stitcher and it looks like a good service to broaden the audience. However, the “Earn Revenue” aspect they advertise concerns me. The show is not-for-profit and I wonder, if it got up on there, would that affect the CC license(s) of the music? Or am I overthinking this stuff?

Gracias for your thoughts. I know this question may seem kinda simple and lame, but we all have to start somewhere.

[Edited to remove retrospectively dumb question]

Naked Man Punch fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 2, 2014

stablercake
Feb 29, 2012

beefcake
Yessss my buddy Sam and I do~

I already post incessantly in the Rapidly Going Deaf thread when we come out with new eps, but it's called My Own Worst Anime and I know you're shocked but it's about anime. We take suggestions from our listeners and watch 3 eps of the anime in question (or an entire movie if that's the case) and rate it on a scale of 1-7 dragonballs and I make unique art for each ep that posts on the site.

We don't know what we're doing though so it's sort of the anime semi-layman's opinion of anime.

I don't know why I have this visceral need for someone to hear me chat about cartoons I don't really like buT I DO

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Thought I'd bring this thread back from the dead and let you all know about my new podcast

Fireside Mystery Theatre

Home Page | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Podcast Links

iTunes | Stitcher | SoundCloud | RSS

Genre: Radio Show / Performing Arts
Release Schedule: Monthly, usually in the second week of the month
Goon: Paul Allen

Description: A live, horror-themed show done in the style of old-fashioned radio plays. We perform with actors on a stage in front of a live audience with a live, improvised musical score and live sound effects cues. Anything you hear on the podcast is done LIVE, nothing is added in post-production.

FMT is a labor of love that the original two producers started a few years ago. I came on board about a year ago to help them start up a podcast and increase their web presence. We just got onto iTunes about a week and a half ago and we're already getting almost 100 downloads a day! Exciting stuff. We have a bit of a similar feeling to Night Vale but this doesn't take place in a fiction place or have returning characters.

We only have two episodes up now but our third episode should be up soon. I'd love to hear any constructive criticism for the show but also praise, of course :)

I hope you all enjoy it!

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

My friend and I are starting a podcast as a hobby and a way to chat in somewhat-realtime every week. We live in different parts of the state, so for a trial run we tried recording via Google Hangouts Live Cast. However, the recording had a few issues expected from remote casting: latency delay, weird auto-muting going on when someone interjects (Hangout specific?), just low quality sound in general, especially from the person who was remote. I was wondering if there were low cost hardware solutions or better software solutions that don't require a lot of technological know how, A/V wise.

Let me know if this is the wrong place to ask - the other two stickied threads in RDG seemed more geared toward self-promotion and recommendation.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

The cheapest solution is to have everyone record locally, and then sync your sound. Barring that, I don't have that kind of problem with Skype. Generally turn off video, close all background stuff like Steam, etc, since the less unnessary bandwidth you use theotically the better the sound. The big things you can buy hardware wise are good mics ( yetis go on sale for 60 occassionally, but non-sale prices a reasonable mic is about $100), a pop filter (cheap but useless without a good mic) and an external sound card (also probably the most expensive option)

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Ulta posted:

The cheapest solution is to have everyone record locally, and then sync your sound. Barring that, I don't have that kind of problem with Skype. Generally turn off video, close all background stuff like Steam, etc, since the less unnessary bandwidth you use theotically the better the sound. The big things you can buy hardware wise are good mics ( yetis go on sale for 60 occassionally, but non-sale prices a reasonable mic is about $100), a pop filter (cheap but useless without a good mic) and an external sound card (also probably the most expensive option)

Seconding skype as the better option. I've done podcasts with people halfway across the globe that way, with no latency issues or anything.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
I'm gonna agree with the previous commenters - go with Skype. It's pretty "standard issue" and universal for most computers and mobile devices, the user interface is all right (nothing tricky), and the call quality is good, overall. (It really depends on what mics both sides are using. One guest's mic can sound like they're on a phone call, another can sound like they're in the room with you.)

There are a couple good recorder programs out there for it, as well. I use both "MP3 Skype Recorder" and "SkypeAutoRecorder" and have only had one issue (a guest had a colon in their name, so neither program recorded the call. Solved when I upgraded one recorder to the latest version). I recommend checking the file size, though, before uploading for people to listen. Both of these record at high bit rates (I think 320/44), so the file size is massive. A podcast can still sound good at 64 or 96k, and listeners will appreciate a smaller file to download to their phones/iPods.

As for hardware, I'm not familiar with the Yeti mics, so I can't speak to them. But I use Blue's Snowball (costs around $50) and its been good to me.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Thanks for all the tips! Will try Skype our next session.

dizaero
Jan 30, 2012

CORRECT ANSWER
YUO ARE SMART
Hey guys, first time podcaster. My co-host and I just uploaded our first podcast!

Grunt Cast: Episode 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-9dyzYMh0E

Let us know what you think!

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

dizaero posted:

Hey guys, first time podcaster. My co-host and I just uploaded our first podcast!

Grunt Cast: Episode 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-9dyzYMh0E

Let us know what you think!

A+++

Am looking forward to next week's episode with Maria Sharapova.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I've read through several "how get get started podcasting" blogs and have a pretty good idea. I'm familiar with recording music (typical setup includes Reaper / Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 / Shure SM58 with shock mount and pop filter).

My wife and her friends have been talking about starting a podcast. I listen to several podcasts consistently and find myself always listening to the ones with the best production values. I've offered to produce it, and have a good friend who is also into recording music (we've already talked about "jingles" and intro / outro music and stuff to make it sound professional).

Anyways what I'm getting at is what gear would you recommend for recording 3 people talking in the same room? I want to avoid headsets. I was thinking about basically just expanding my current music recording setup - upgrading the 2i2 to an 18i8, and getting 2 more mic setups (SM58's with shock mounts and pop filters). Is this overkill?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
The plan seems solid, but the tech side isn't the biggest challenge in getting a podcast launched, content is. I did a quick inventory of the new launches over the past three pages and of the 18 or so, only five had produced a new episode in the past month. That low rate of conversion to a long-term project is precisely why the guides discourage a large investment.

What you're looking to buy is about $500 worth of stuff, which isn't as big a deal for you since you seem to do a bit of audio recording anyway. It probably won't all just end up in the closet. And it's not like you're rushing out to buy nice condenser mics at $750 a piece.

That said, you could scrimp out on the 18i8 for a while if your friend also had a USB input device. Plug both in, force one mic to left, another to right and mix the mono tracks later on. That said, if you've wanted the 18i8 since hearing about it and the podcast is the excuse to upgrade, then two USB devices totally won't work and you should place that Amazon order right away.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Antifreeze Head posted:

The plan seems solid, but the tech side isn't the biggest challenge in getting a podcast launched, content is. I did a quick inventory of the new launches over the past three pages and of the 18 or so, only five had produced a new episode in the past month. That low rate of conversion to a long-term project is precisely why the guides discourage a large investment.

What you're looking to buy is about $500 worth of stuff, which isn't as big a deal for you since you seem to do a bit of audio recording anyway. It probably won't all just end up in the closet. And it's not like you're rushing out to buy nice condenser mics at $750 a piece.

That said, you could scrimp out on the 18i8 for a while if your friend also had a USB input device. Plug both in, force one mic to left, another to right and mix the mono tracks later on. That said, if you've wanted the 18i8 since hearing about it and the podcast is the excuse to upgrade, then two USB devices totally won't work and you should place that Amazon order right away.

Haha, that's kind of what I was leaning towards (excuse to buy more gear). You're right it won't end up collecting dust.

So you would recommend 2 mics panned L/R as opposed to 1 mic per speaker(person)? What comes to mind when I imagine this is radio talk show setups where everybody has their own mic.

And they're working on content. Honestly, there isn't a lack of content in the subject they want to do (3 atheist moms raising kids in the buckle of the bible belt) and trust me when I say they could easily fill up several days worth of recordings without pausing except to pee. I think the challenge will be time constraint. I get what you're saying though. Consistency is going to be the challenge. I think they're looking at a bi-weekly 30-45 minute podcast to be upgraded to weekly if it picks up.

I'm just really excited to help out on this from the producer project aspect. And like you said, any excuse to buy new gear.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
One mic per person in the style of a radio studio is certainly best, yeah.

If you're going to get better hardware, there isn't any need to pan mics entirely left or right. That is just something a lot of podcasters do because it is the cheap rear end way of getting isolated waveforms with budget hardware that only offers a stereo output.

When you say you don't want headsets, does that mean they won't be monitoring or just that you didn't want a headset mic setup? It's fine if you want to avoid the headphone mics (good ones are pricey) but even a 20 dollar pair of headphones for monitoring can be helpful in keeping the talent focused on the conversation and not a distracting noise in the background. It's like ~30 bucks for a headphone amp from Monoprice, likely money well spent.

That said, if the show is about moms dealing with issues facing moms, a quick departure to settle a loud dispute between siblings is entirely within the scope of the show and maybe they want that.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Antifreeze Head posted:

One mic per person in the style of a radio studio is certainly best, yeah.

If you're going to get better hardware, there isn't any need to pan mics entirely left or right. That is just something a lot of podcasters do because it is the cheap rear end way of getting isolated waveforms with budget hardware that only offers a stereo output.

When you say you don't want headsets, does that mean they won't be monitoring or just that you didn't want a headset mic setup? It's fine if you want to avoid the headphone mics (good ones are pricey) but even a 20 dollar pair of headphones for monitoring can be helpful in keeping the talent focused on the conversation and not a distracting noise in the background. It's like ~30 bucks for a headphone amp from Monoprice, likely money well spent.

That said, if the show is about moms dealing with issues facing moms, a quick departure to settle a loud dispute between siblings is entirely within the scope of the show and maybe they want that.

The less technology they have to focus on, the better, I think. I may have the wrong idea, but I was thinking of doing the monitoring myself in my own headphones (based on the way I record stuff now). I imagine them sitting around their table talking their talk and me on the couch with my laptop/headphones handling all the recording.

I imagine it would be pretty funny if suddenly they'd have to stop talking to go handle a kid freakout but I think they want to try to do this one without the kids. Although it's about atheist parenting, and I'm certain that issues with other moms will come up, I think they want to focus on stuff such as church/state separation, abortion rights, discrimination, bullies and proselytization (one of the kids is getting bullied for not believing in god, and she's 7), etc. As I said I'm not too concerned with the content, I'm interested in the production (and of course I'll probably stoke the fires once in a while).

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Headphones aren't that foreign to people as to be intimidating, and like I say, it helps those who don't routinely talk into microphones for a living stay a little more focused on the conversation. They also impose a physical restriction a person from moving their head around all that much for fear that the headphones may fall off and that keeps them talking into the mic a bit more directly so you get better quality audio.

As for your own monitoring, there isn't much point to it once you know that they have levels all set up and whatnot. Just turn it on and walk away. If you have to listen to it all in the end anyway for editing, just make sure they know what to look for if the recording stops suddenly for some reason so they don't waste an hour talking and not recording anything.

Sounds like an interesting topic though, make sure you tell us when it launches and I'll certainly give it a listen.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Thanks for all the input, looking forward to this project

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
I have a question about podcast hosting. I've started a podcast called 'David Reads It!' to read the original 1883 text of Pinocchio just for fun, and I chose podomatic as my host because it seemed to offer the best free package. But after uploading episode 1, I've used a tenth of my storage space. Pinocchio alone might go beyond 10 episodes, never mind if I decide to do Sleeping Beauty afterwards. Is there a better free host for me to use? Or, if I have to pay to be doing this, where is the best deal?

http://davidreadsit.podomatic.com/

Thanks!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

DavidAlltheTime posted:

I have a question about podcast hosting. I've started a podcast called 'David Reads It!' to read the original 1883 text of Pinocchio just for fun, and I chose podomatic as my host because it seemed to offer the best free package. But after uploading episode 1, I've used a tenth of my storage space. Pinocchio alone might go beyond 10 episodes, never mind if I decide to do Sleeping Beauty afterwards. Is there a better free host for me to use? Or, if I have to pay to be doing this, where is the best deal?

Thanks!

I host mine on Soundcloud, though I think their podcasting service is still in beta so you have to apply for it. It's $15/month for their unlimited hosting. Before that I was paying $20/month for Yahoo to host it using Y! Small business until their servers started corrupting the episode downloads. Decent hosting is going to run you $10-20/month if you have any listeners at all.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

The most basic https://www.libsyn.com is 5 bucks and that gives you 50 megs of storage a month. $15 /mo gets you 250mb. I've had no real problems with it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I'd like to start an editorial/critical essays/reviews podcast about animation, but it's looking like I will have to go Solo with this one, but I have no reference or idea on how a solo podcast can be entertaining or interesting to listen to (other than Historical stuff like dan carlin), is are there any podcasts done by one person that are interesting and worth learning from?

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

"You Are Not So Smart" is about psychology. He has interviews, but generally he talks alone for a good long time.

Dan Benjamin does "The Podcast Method" which is a podcast about podcasting.

"Welcome to Nightvale" is an excellent single narrator podcast. Also a good listen as well!

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Agreed. "Night Vale" is solid. Also, "Lou Reads the Internet" (by SA Goon "King Lou") is a good solo host show.

And, although not podcasts but still related, some audiobooks are great listens. (Examples: David Foster Wallace reading essays from his collection Consider the Lobster or Bryan Cranston reading The Things They Carried)

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

Ulta posted:

The most basic https://www.libsyn.com is 5 bucks and that gives you 50 megs of storage a month. $15 /mo gets you 250mb. I've had no real problems with it.

Do you mean gigs? Podomatic's free package is 500mb storage, and 15gb of bandwidth per month.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Do you mean gigs? Podomatic's free package is 500mb storage, and 15gb of bandwidth per month.

The Libsyn # means how much you can upload a month.

I use https://www.blubrry.com/ and they are $15 a month I think. 100mb a month upload and bandwidth is unlimited I think. Bandwidth shouldn't be a concern for most podcasters. But it would seem that the podomatic free account will fill up and then you'll have to decide if you want to pay to move up to the next package, right?

Blubrry is ok. Their wordpress integration is pretty great. I kind of wish I went with Libsyn but not for any reason doing with Blubrry. Just more popular podcasts are hosted there.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Libsyn allocates you 50 megs a month at a time. You can store any amount of podcasts, just you can only upload 50 megs per month. Unlimited bandwidth as well. I'm sure there's a limit to this in the fine print, but if your starting out you won't hit it.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Thanks!

Particular to your venture, you may want to look into Project Gutenberg as an alternate means of distribution. If you don't know, Project Gutenberg is taking public domain works and making them available to the masses, and they are trying to include audio books as well. Pinocchio happens to have one already, but you may find that as an alternate means of distribution.

You'd have to edit slightly from your current format though, they have their own preamble you have to stick on, but I think they are on board with the no voices thing. Something to consider anyway.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
For the podcast some friends and I just started, I ended up going with a paid account at podbean. We are doing it weekly and the file size for a single episode is past the upload limit on all the free sites I looked at.

Edit: What is everyone's preferred method for promoting their podcast? I want to get the word out there, but at the same time I don't want to be all spammy about it. We have a bit of a built in audience in that we are sponsored by a local bar which one our group is the bartender at, that alone has gotten us some listens out of a lot of the regulars, but growing it beyond that would be nice.

Porkchop Express fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 15, 2015

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

I'm not the best at this but some lessons learned.

Facebook/Google/Twitter advertising is basically a bottomless pit to throw money into to disappear.

Active social media, but don't be shilly about it. This is a slow burn kind of thing, but just post every day and relevant and interesting stuff. Don't be shilly, don't force yourself into hashtags/conversations you don't belong in. That can backfire.

Networking with other podcasting is great! Plus you can make friends!

If you've got a local bend to your podcast, get out into the community. Help with local events, charities, amatuer sports etc.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Banner ads on SA have worked very well for me, especially early on. Make sure your design is eye catching, matches the visual branding (ugh) you've already established, and very succinctly says "We are a podcast about _______".

Analytics and page referrals probably won't spike like crazy, but we have a lot of loyal fans who have stated outright that they found us through ads for Duckfeed.tv.

Song For The Deaf fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 16, 2015

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Song For The Deaf posted:

Banner ads on SA have worked very well for me, especially early on. Make sure your design is eye catching, matches the visual branding (ugh) you've already established, and very succinctly says "We are a podcast about _______".

Analytics and page referrals probably won't spoke like crazy, but we have a lot of loyal fans who have stated outright that they found us through ads for Duckfeed.tv.

Well, I know thats how I found you guys anyways!

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

Antifreeze Head posted:

Particular to your venture, you may want to look into Project Gutenberg as an alternate means of distribution. If you don't know, Project Gutenberg is taking public domain works and making them available to the masses, and they are trying to include audio books as well. Pinocchio happens to have one already, but you may find that as an alternate means of distribution.

You'd have to edit slightly from your current format though, they have their own preamble you have to stick on, but I think they are on board with the no voices thing. Something to consider anyway.

Interesting, I'll keep this in mind!

I'm really glad this thread exists. I have a facebook page if anyone's interested in following my podcast: https://www.facebook.com/davidreadsit/

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Hey guys, what do you think about one-man podcasts?

I've been thinking of doing a podcast on my own, which I guess would make it more of a radio-show in style. The goal would be to discuss scientific papers, but to do it in a rather in-depth way including criticism and discussions of methodology. I know there already are a lot of science-based podcasts, but I feel like they gloss over too much detail in order to make their shows more appealing to a wide audience. My idea is to make a specialized show that goes in-depth, which I realize will appeal to fewer people. My intended audience would be fellow scientists and members of the public who are interested in seeing "how the sausage" is made so to speak.

I could of course try to rope in someone else to do the show together, but I feel like the logistics of trying to coordinate with multiple people would be a pain in the rear end.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Mr.48 posted:

Hey guys, what do you think about one-man podcasts?

I've been thinking of doing a podcast on my own, which I guess would make it more of a radio-show in style. The goal would be to discuss scientific papers, but to do it in a rather in-depth way including criticism and discussions of methodology. I know there already are a lot of science-based podcasts, but I feel like they gloss over too much detail in order to make their shows more appealing to a wide audience. My idea is to make a specialized show that goes in-depth, which I realize will appeal to fewer people. My intended audience would be fellow scientists and members of the public who are interested in seeing "how the sausage" is made so to speak.

I could of course try to rope in someone else to do the show together, but I feel like the logistics of trying to coordinate with multiple people would be a pain in the rear end.

Just record yourself well and keep it interesting. Add intro music, outro music. Maybe some audio clips of other people talking here and there to break it up. There's no reason it can't work, and there are plenty of ways you can spice it up. Good luck with it!

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

codyclarke posted:

Just record yourself well and keep it interesting. Add intro music, outro music. Maybe some audio clips of other people talking here and there to break it up. There's no reason it can't work, and there are plenty of ways you can spice it up. Good luck with it!

Thanks for the encouragement! Also, your username sounds super-familiar, but I cant remember where I saw it before.

pat
Sep 20, 2001

Judy can pat the bunny. Now YOU pat the bunny.
Hey guys, great thread!

Me and three friends are starting a podcast for our improv comedy group.

We invested in a Blue Yeti mic and I was wondering if anyone had any intel (or warnings!) on what we can expect as far as sound quality. A few rookie questions:

- I am aware of the omnidirectional mode, but will it really be enough for a 3 or 4 person roundtable?

- Would we be better off using the bidirectional mode with us sitting in pairs opposite each other?

- Will we all have to sit weirdly close to the mic to get any kind of decent result? Will we have to turn the gain way up otherwise?

pat fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Does iTunes have a set time that it updates its podcast directory? I know it does it once every 24 hours, but I can't figure out what time they do it at.

We are trying to figure it out so we can plan what day of the week we want to set as the release day so we can figure out what time it needs to be submitted by.