Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

Sleeveless posted:

Parks and Recreation season one was a terrible show with bad ratings that would have gotten cancelled on any other network. Community and P&R fans getting salty about NBC when the network is more or less single-handedly responsible for the shows having more than a single season is always fairly loving rich.

Back in the 90's some Homicide: Life On The Street fans had the same thing with NBC, and IT RAN SEVEN SEASONS. Even the producers grudgingly admitted that despite being in the Friday night death slot, they were given a lot of freedom to do what is probably the greatest cop show not on HBO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Adulthood is not signified by adherence to corporate branding guidelines

Is this a product placement complaint cause if so jesus christ

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Amy's impression of Tammy 2 was amazing and already justified this season for me. :colbert:

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Sleeveless posted:

Parks and Recreation season one was a terrible show with bad ratings that would have gotten cancelled on any other network. Community and P&R fans getting salty about NBC when the network is more or less single-handedly responsible for the shows having more than a single season is always fairly loving rich.

In the subsequent six years they've cancelled Community twice and given P&R the runaround in terms of timeslots, numbers of episodes ordered, and whether or not it would ever even get renewed, and they're now burning off the final season like they can't end the show fast enough. Your point about nbc giving them a chance is well taken, but it's understandable for fans of those shows to be a little bitter.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

What's Leslie's new job again?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Davros1 posted:

What's Leslie's new job again?

She is a regional director for the National Parks Service.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yep. She's in charge of the Midwest.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

What I'm wondering is who is actually running the Parks department now?

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Pakled posted:

As far as Ron and Leslie hating each other "for no reason" goes, we do have a reason, a "Morningstar" incident that's almost certainly going to be explained at some point during the season.

I bet Ron threw out her vegetarian breakfast sausages. Ron would not abide fake meat.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

socialsecurity posted:

Pretty sure it's Jamm, right? Part of his assumption of Ron's identity.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

socialsecurity posted:

Craig.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Anyone seen the director's cut of the second episode on Hulu? There's a pretty great exchange between Leslie and Jamm in his office that got cut. And a completely different ending joke for the episode

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

GigaPeon posted:

I bet Ron threw out her vegetarian breakfast sausages. Ron would not abide fake meat.

My first thought was also something silly related to those frozen vegan meats.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
At first, I was bummed about the old group breaking up and taking sides in the Leslie/Ron feud. I'm at the age where all my old friends have kids and live far away, and I never see or hang out with anyone anymore, so it hit a little harder than it should have (especially because I can relate to Andy and April's worries that they've gotten old and boring).

But then I thought about how Michael Schur has always cited The Wire (my favorite show, too) among his influences on Parks, and it made a little more sense. The cops on The Wire were brought together as an ad hoc task force in the first season, and after they solved that case, the task force was dissolved and they went back to their old jobs. Several of them had other opportunities to work together more on other cases in the later seasons, but it was never quite the same. Some remained partners, colleagues, and friends, others drifted apart and did their own things. It showed a dynamic workplace rather than a static one like almost every other "workplace show," and it felt that much more realistic for it. I guess for a "workplace" sitcom, Parks is doing the realistic thing too, with characters moving on, growing up, and drifting apart from each other.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Merauder posted:

My first thought was also something silly related to those frozen vegan meats.
Goddammit, that makes a lot of sense.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
At first I was bummed about Ron and Leslie feuding but now I feel like him as the last villain is perfect. The finale can have Leslie winning and Ron rolling with it and they can be bros again.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Macaluso posted:

Is this a product placement complaint cause if so jesus christ

You don't think "Well April and Andy are adults now, so they've started referring to all products by their full trademarked names?" is an insane point for someone to try and make? All I did was vaguely recall a line where I wondered if it was product placement, someone helped me remember that it was this line, and then goons started gooning because gently caress me for having a vague inkling that one single sentence in this show might be less than perfect I guess.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
In-context I thought that referring to a product by a brand name added to the point of the scene which was to confirm April's fears that they were old and boring. Because now they're old and giving into the "corporations" and all that. :shrug:

I mean, yeah, it was *probably* product placement but as long as it's a one-time thing then I think it's less egregious than the Windows phones and tablets in previous seasons.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It was a joke. The joke is he's old and feels better if he takes an antacid and they're so familiar with each other that she knows that.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Solice Kirsk posted:

It was a joke. The joke is he's old and feels better if he takes an antacid and they're so familiar with each other that she knows that.

Yes genius, but do you notice how you said "an antacid" and not ZantacTM Brand Antacid Tablets? All I was trying to say is that the way they wrote the line made me momentarily wonder if it is product placement. Do you think that this is something that you, as a human being, can cope with having happened? Will the earth continue to revolve around the sun if a television viewer had a brief moment of curiosity about whether unpopular comedy show "Parks and Recreation" employed product integration when writing a line about a man's heartburn troubles?

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 17, 2015

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Yes genius, but do you notice how you said "an antacid" and not ZantacTM Brand Antacid Tablets? All I was trying to say is that the way they wrote the line made me momentarily wonder if it is product placement. Do you think that this is something that you, as a human being, can cope with having happened? Will the earth continue to revolve around the sun if a television viewer had a brief moment of curiosity about whether unpopular comedy show "Parks and Recreation" employed product integration when writing a line about a man's heartburn troubles?

You certainly are putting a lot of energy into this.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Many people in real life are very specific with the brands they use :ssh:

e: what is your stance on people who use "Coke" to represent all soda

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 17, 2015

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

Punch Card posted:

You certainly are putting a lot of energy into this.

Don't waste your time with Tiny Brontosaurus. Seriously, he/she/it just doesn't loving stop.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Oh my god you're right I can't believe I was living in the shadow of such ignorance for so long about this. This was such a well-researched post that even included things like the symbol for trademark, you certainly put a lot of effort into this. Please keep posting so I can broaden my horizons about what is and isn't the right opinion to have about a TV show. Please. Keep. Posting.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

fount of knowledge posted:

See, it's funny because I feel in this and the last season the show actually did the opposite and dialed Leslie's self-righteousness up 300%, to the point where it's almost as grating as season 1 Leslie used to be. It honestly makes it a lot harder to root for her compared to the earlier seasons. Case in point, pretty much any plot last season that involved her getting in a fight with Ben was handled in a way that made me feel way more cringey than amused.

I have to say I feel the same way, though at least in these first two episodes it only emerged a couple times.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Even if it were product placement it's also an effective line which communicates the joke perfectly, what a ridiculously inane thing to bitch about.

Also yeah that was a pretty good start to the season, especially coming off the back of a pretty mediocre season 6. It's still not season 2-3 quality and the characters have definitely been a bit flanderised but it made me laugh a fair few times and Andy at least seems to have gone a few school grades again, so I'm gonna call that a win.

And finally, why does anyone give a single gently caress about NBC scheduling? The show got its full seven seasons and we get to watch them in fairly short order, why would you even care if the show's producers aren't making as much money as you think they hypothetically could? Just shut up and watch the show

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I maintain that Leslie is the main antagonist of most of season 6. I don't think you're supposed to sympathize with her for most of the season.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Even if it were product placement it's also an effective line which communicates the joke perfectly, what a ridiculously inane thing to bitch about.
Welcome to TVIV!

I'm also happy about getting the rest of the show fairly quickly instead of dragging it out for nine months. Guess I'm weird!

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

old dog child posted:

Madmen, the lot of em!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

old dog child posted:

I asked my wife for a Kleenex today instead of a facial tissue even though the actual brand we use is Puffs. Oh god, I am a monster!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

You don't think "Well April and Andy are adults now, so they've started referring to all products by their full trademarked names?" is an insane point for someone to try and make? All I did was vaguely recall a line where I wondered if it was product placement, someone helped me remember that it was this line, and then goons started gooning because gently caress me for having a vague inkling that one single sentence in this show might be less than perfect I guess.

I think complaining about product placement is silly, in general.

Guy A. Person posted:

I asked my wife for a Kleenex today instead of a facial tissue even though the actual brand we use is Puffs. Oh god, I am a monster!

Please just say "tissue" in the future. This product placement is taking me out of the forum experience.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
My grandmother used to call her food storage unit a frigidaire, what a monster. Sometimes I use band-aids! I've called gelatin based desserts jello and flavored sugar water kool-aid! what a world what a world

I thought the zantac thing made the dialogue sound more natural. It's really weird watching stuff where they go out of their way to say brand names. It's a fine line to walk, because if you're too brazen it just looks like shameless product placement, but if you're too generic it can kinda take you out of it, especially in a show where Tom constantly name drops celebrities and real life digital services. That being said I do love Big Kahuna Burger and Red Apple cigarettes.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't have a problem with people saying brand names I just thought it was really weird to argue that saying brand names is a signifier of adulthood. But you're all the same autists who saw a conspiracy theory in two shows saying the word "breakdown" in one week once so please, continue to lecture me on what normal people do, TVIV.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

I don't have a problem with people saying brand names I just thought it was really weird to argue that saying brand names is a signifier of adulthood.

Saying a brand name is how people talk and it sounded perfectly natural and not like product placement and it was the fact that Andy even thought to take a Zantac before eating a bunch of pickled eggs that was the signifier of adulthood, this is such a weird discussion

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I don't have a problem with people saying brand names I just thought it was really weird to argue that saying brand names is a signifier of adulthood. But you're all the same autists who saw a conspiracy theory in two shows saying the word "breakdown" in one week once so please, continue to lecture me on what normal people do, TVIV.

The classic "oh I didn't mean to sperg about it, you're the spergs anyway" argument.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

This is a terrible derail. Knock it off, you especially.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

Ugghh way to be terrible. No one cares.

This thread needs gifs of Leslie shoving her crotch at Ron.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Since when have they put director's cuts on hulu?! I had no idea - are there any that are especially worth watching?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
They've always put them on there. I believe all the DCs are on Netflix as well? They're pretty much all worth watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Merauder posted:

They've always put them on there. I believe all the DCs are on Netflix as well? They're pretty much all worth watching.

Nah, Hulu only.

• Locked thread