Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Obviouse answer is to just use 2nd edition style initiative where everyone just rolls a D10 at the start of every round.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallawallawingwang
Mar 8, 2007
Yeah, I feel like 4e's initiative was pretty much its dullest combat rule. It always took too long for everyone to roll and then write it on the whiteboard, or arrange the 3x5 initiative cards, or place their little magnetic doodad in the right spot, or whatever system we were using at the time. The length is doubly bad since it just boils down to did you beat team monster on round 1 or not. I don't know that you'd lose all that much if you just went clockwise around the table.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Having hard rules for determining who goes first in a combat is most important in "rocket-tag" type games where there are large advantages to going first. I don't think a vast amount would be lost in 4e if initiative wasn't a thing.

Clockwise around the table means one less thing to track, and it makes it easier to tell whose go is next.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It becomes a little more rocket-taggy if all the monsters go at once, then all the PCs go at once.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Really Pants posted:

It becomes a little more rocket-taggy if all the monsters go at once, then all the PCs go at once.

Hmm, yeah, that is a good point.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'd think about going 'PC, monster, PC, monster etc etc', varying which PC starts each combat on a cycle. PCs always go first, they're just that good.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Gort posted:

Having hard rules for determining who goes first in a combat is most important in "rocket-tag" type games where there are large advantages to going first.

I dunno. That seems like a pretty good description of 4e to me.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Indeed, whatever (high level well-optimised) 4e is, or isn't, rocket tag is something it definitely is. More refined rocket tag than most, perhaps, and with lots more ways for the PCs in particular to avoid getting tagged, or to pop back up afterwards, but... Epic LFR has basically been 'do we win init y/n? If y, at least half the monsters die before they can act'. It's great fun for everyone, as long as the DM isn't hung up on his monsters actually doing stuff...

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I didn't have that experience when I played my last campaign to level 30 - but then again my players don't really optimise their characters.

Sounds like that might be a good thing from what you're saying, though. I guess you'd just add more monsters if half of them die every round.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

In LFR mods the answer is often 'have an in-combat skill challenge that makes the monsters almost impossible to defeat until at least the start of the second round' - that way they get their big stuff off and the fight feels a bit more tense.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Sounds like kind of an ugly hack. Couldn't you just give the monsters more HP or some other resistance to the most egregious PC abilities? Presumably somewhere there's a design guideline that says something like "A standard-difficulty fight should last roughly five rounds" - design to that. Though I guess that might lock the door on parties who don't optimise their DPR using the latest builds from the Internet.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Two to three rounds is the general advice for how long a fight should take as far as I'm aware. 5 rounds in most of the groups I've played in would take way the hell too long and result in most people using at-wills for most of the fight, which is dull.

It is a bit of a hack, but it's better than other alternatives. More HP isn't going to fix anything, the PCs have more than enough damage to cope. Giving them resistances to things the PCs do commonly (damage) is basically what we're talking about anyway - the mod we played on Tuesday for instance had a boss monster who had resist all equal to and regen equal to 10x the successes remaining in the SC - basically that IS resistance to the PCs' best tricks, but you can turn it off.

LFR Epic in particular has come with some very good difficulty and speed dials though - so for lower-op groups, you can turn things down, and for higher-op groups you can make them a lot harder. They also added speed-increasing options too.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

LFR Epic in particular has come with some very good difficulty and speed dials though - so for lower-op groups, you can turn things down, and for higher-op groups you can make them a lot harder. They also added speed-increasing options too.

Where can I get hold of these?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Livingforgottenrealms.com.

They get better as you go through - the earlier ones didn't have as much customisability, the later ones have a lot - but the earlier ones have much better set0piece fights whilst the later ones use a lot more poster maps and simple fight layouts. Search 'EPIC'. It's a complete, and good, campaign, one mod per level, each mod intended to take 3 4-hour sessions, roughly, albeit I'm not a fan of the last couple of adventures, I think they should have chosen a less dickish final boss.

There's a lot of good material in there generally, actually. Some really dodgy stuff too.

One of these days I really must get around to working out that LFR from 1 to 30 post.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
Is there a place where I can get DTAS rules I want to try running it.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
I think it was forums-poster Fuego Fish who did some rules for that; maybe pm him?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

dbzfandiego posted:

Is there a place where I can get DTAS rules I want to try running it.

It's in the F&F wiki, alongside other cool stuff.

http://tradwiki.foxxtrot.net/index.php/DTAS_Rules

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
Thank you!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Is there a good 4e Star Wars hack? I know saga edition was proto 4e bit I want the whole deal. And I could reskin everything myself but :effort:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

You're welcome! Keep in mind the Skill section is weird as hell and I just ignore it.

Otisburg posted:

Is there a good 4e Star Wars hack? I know saga edition was proto 4e bit I want the whole deal. And I could reskin everything myself but :effort:

There isn't as far as I know, but the newest FFG system is really really good, if not especially tactical.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Azran posted:

You're welcome! Keep in mind the Skill section is weird as hell and I just ignore it.

There isn't as far as I know, but the newest FFG system is really really good, if not especially tactical.

I like especially tactical. :smith:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My girlfriend just got a new phone. Are there any good Android apps around that would be useful for a player? Preferrably with the ability to import a sheet from local .dnd4e files.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Otisburg posted:

Maxwell Lord is working on a retro clone that would work nicely, but failing that, why not just use the weapons/armor from SE, cull the races to ones with good SW analogues and suggest Battlemind/Ardent? Seems like an easy swap?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

My Lovely Horse posted:

My girlfriend just got a new phone. Are there any good Android apps around that would be useful for a player? Preferrably with the ability to import a sheet from local .dnd4e files.

Are there any good 4e iOS apps? I would love to be able to eliminate people having always worry about printing out updated character sheets if they could just keep them on their phone.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
iplay4e was always my preference.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Otisburg posted:

TBH, you could do a fairly good 4e star wars hack by... reflavouring 4e as star wars. It would work remarkably well I suspect. Use 4e for the first person combat, and Star Wars X Wing for the space combat, done.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Are different levels of weapon proficiency bonuses something that's usually houseruled out? If yes, in what direction?

That DTAS guide looks excellent for quickly getting a game started/cutting through a bunch of cruft and I'd like to leverage it to run 4E in the near future.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

The only one I'm familiar with is KSheet, which comes in both Trial and Pro versions. It should work with both .dnd4e files and linking up with your DDI account, from what I remember.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

gradenko_2000 posted:

Are different levels of weapon proficiency bonuses something that's usually houseruled out? If yes, in what direction?

I've never seriously considered stripping out weapon proficiency bonuses, but my first thought on the idea is that it's going to make some otherwise unattractive weapons mostly useless. For some weapons like longswords, that extra +1 to hit is your main reason for picking it up.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
KSheet is pretty great, I've been using it for ages.

Also, on the initiative front: Popcorn Initiative has worked pretty well for my group. It just requires a bit of fiddling for end of this/next turn effects.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So I've been on a houserules kick lately and have been reading a bunch of blogs and learning other peoples houserules.

Here's a few I'd thought I would share:

quote:

Divine Die
A single d20 is placed in the middle of the table. It can be used to reroll any d20 roll, but only once per session and once per group. This can be great to help rescue a situation that looks lost.

This sounds like a lot of fun. Something like this could be like "the moment" of every session.

quote:

Luck Points

If you have an unspent Action Point at the end of a session you may convert it into a Luck Point. Luck Points can be used to add 1 to any die roll. Once they are used they are lost.

Thinking of combining this rule with the "you can spend an action point during a short rest to recharge a daily" houserule. Could add for some interesting management of action points.

quote:

Action Points are better in early rounds: I’ve seen a number of folks post about this idea in various places. If an action point is spent in the first round, any attack made with that action gets +3 damage (+2 in second round, +1 in third). This helps to encourage PCs not to horde that resource.

An interesting idea, but not sure how I feel about it yet.

quote:

Losing Healing Surges with Fear effects: I’ll often give players the option of losing a healing surge instead of being stunned by a fear effect, or losing the surge to auto-save vs the effect on their turn. HS can be a measure of your willingness to fight, and terror takes away that willingness.

Another idea that I'm not sure how I feel about.

quote:

Two Hit Minions

This could be fun to have minions that require 2 hits or 1 crit.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

You got to be careful when it comes to handling out meta currency. Too many different ones and they will become annoying (re: luck points).

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Azran posted:

You got to be careful when it comes to handling out meta currency. Too many different ones and they will become annoying (re: luck points).

Yeah, totally agree. Those were just a few houserules I thought were interesting and worth discussion.

I really like the idea of the divine die.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Divine Die is alright. A bit of a last ditch measure, certainly not too strong, but with the potential to make a huge difference.

Luck Points - eh. An extra standard action is categorically better than something that comes up in 5% of cases, for d20 rolls at least. But for anything else, how often do you really need to just deal 1 more damage? It does come up, but when it does you can still spend a regular action point and make another attack. Actually both the Action Point rules seem to be written by someone whose party tends to hoard or forget about them. My party is the same way but I just occasionally mention "you can still spend an action point" and a lot of the time they go "that's right, and I will", or I say "you know, milestone's coming up after this fight, you'll get a fresh AP".

Healing Surges vs. Fear: I don't know how many monster powers actually have the fear keyword but I'm willing to wager it's not enough to make this remotely worth it. Keywords like that are more of a PC thing because they have all this power/feat/class feature interaction going. And sure, you can make it so it works against all stun effects, but a better way to mitigate the annoyance of being stunned if to avoid monsters that stun in the first place.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I wouldn't go with 'APs are better in the first round' as a house rules because... APs are already best spent in the first round. The focus fire nova is a huge part of getting 4e tactics right, and APs are a massive part of that. Spend them early, spend them often.

If the players want to make their spending of APs better, they should MC warlord...

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
4e's metagame is a bit weird. Much as with 3e, it inevitably turned towards making the best nova possible, albeit now on a per encounter scale rather then per daily (which is why a fair amount of the big optimization these days is focused on increasing your action points, especially for Leaders), but I feel like nova-ing is generally a tactic most players won't instinctively turn to. In all my experience players are always, always far more likely to save Action Points as a "get my rear end out of the fire" maneuver rather then a "ensure my rear end never even gets near the flames" one. There is always the fear of "what if I need it later" that holds novas back for most people.

Rather then try to subvert that and make novas even more powerful, you should if anything do the opposite. Make APs more powerful on later turns. If the natural instinct is to save APs for "when they're needed," why not reward that so players feel like they're doing the smart thing?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It takes a bit of a leap of logic to get to 'if they die before they act, they don't act' - but encouraging bad play and the game to last more rounds doesn't seem to be a good way to speed up already-long combat.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

In all my experience players are always, always far more likely to save Action Points as a "get my rear end out of the fire" maneuver rather then a "ensure my rear end never even gets near the flames" one. There is always the fear of "what if I need it later" that holds novas back for most people.
Yep, that's what my guys do. It's kinda funny: a few of them are real "ensure my rear end stays safe" people, but to them that means "don't even get into a fight." Once they're actually in one, they hold on to their resources for as long as they can.

Right now they're level 5, which I feel is a good place to be with resources: use an action point in one combat, a daily power in the next, get a milestone and a new action point, repeat.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Moriatti posted:

Maxwell Lord is working on a retro clone that would work nicely, but failing that, why not just use the weapons/armor from SE, cull the races to ones with good SW analogues and suggest Battlemind/Ardent? Seems like an easy swap?

By "working on", read "adding to in fits and starts between bigger writing projects". I've got the non-utility powers for one class written up and most of those I feel like I'll need to replace with something less derivative.

A couple of bits of advice if you just wanna hack 4e though:

Ranged combat tends to be canonically more prevalent in Star Wars, especially among enemies (stormtroopers, battle droids, etc.) Jedi have the whole 'deflect lasers' trick, maybe other melee combatants should have some similar options so they can close ranks with the enemy and force them into melee. Or just have more melee opponents (the KOTOR stormtrooper equivalent has a melee attack and early drafts of the movie gave everyone laser swords.)

Since armor really isn't much of a thing (apart from people who wear it to look badass) you may want to replace AC with a general Defense (apart from the three saves) and give each class a flat bonus equal to the AC they'd get from their class's most common armor (though this does cut out check penalties which I never cared for anyway.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I've seen at least one suggestion of a Jedis version of 4e (thus neatly avoiding the whole ranged combat issue that Jedis do a lot less than sensible people anyway) which basically said that armours are replaced by lightsaber combat styles - EU-canonically there were a whole bunch of combat styles which made you more or less defensively oriented, so refluffing AC as active defence might work nicely.

But then, AC and Reflex have long been accused of occupying way too similar a set of design space, so just axing AC entirely and killing proficiency bonuses to compensate would probably do the trick.