Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Sam jumps into Hauldren Collider's body and reads his last post.

"Oh boy!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hauldren Collider posted:

So I'm graduating with a double BS in Statistics and Computer Science in May and I have a job lined up when I graduate. However I've always been interested in the legal profession (both my parents and both my grandfathers are attorneys) so I'm planning on applying to law school (though I'm not sure yet if I will go.) My top choice if I go to law school would be UVA (my dad went there and it's in-state). Anyway I have a few questions and this looks like the thread to ask them in:

- I took the LSAT in December and got a 171, I am told this is a good score, but what sort of schools does this put me in striking distance for? Does this list include UVA?
- How possible would it be to work part-time during law school (not night classes, regular law school)? One of my main concerns about doing law school is that my CS skills will be rusty by the time I graduate, or I will not have kept up with the latest tech, and I would like to be able to keep my skills sharp should I decide to study law.
- Any particular advice on getting recommendations? My boss last year was CEO of the company I worked at, so I was thinking he would be a good person to get a rec from, and I know he would write a good one, but a friend of mine told me that law schools are going to want recs from college professors.

Thanks!

Before you ask us "how" to do this you should ask yourself "why." Your parents and grandparents were lawyers in the golden age of the profession. That age has long since ended, and the legal profession is contracting and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. You could be a programmer/developer/whatever in the golden age of THOSE professions, which seems set to continue for the foreseeable future. Maybe once you've established yourself you can explore some intersection with what remains of the legal field, but if you go NOW rather than spending a few years in the profession you've actually trained for, you will be throwing away hard-earned, marketable skills, and a convenient entry position for furthering those skills. Who knows what the economy will look like in three years; you may not be able to fall back on your CS degree if you can't get a legal job (or even more likely, can't stand the legal job you get).

If you want more education for the sake of education/time away from the real world, why not get an MS in computer science?

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

If I had a BS in stats and computer science, I absolutely would not have gone to law school.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
I am a fourth generation lawyer from a T14 and an unquestioned success story ITT because I'm a product manager with no desire to practice law. Don't go to law school.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
If your parents are lawyers and they will give you a job when you graduate, it doesn’t matter what law school you attend, so just go to the cheapest one possible. Have a good time in Wyoming!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Goddamn it how are there people like this still around, asking their dumb questions with the most obvious answer ever

Also no you can't work part time. 1L schedules are dictated by the law school and you should be spending much of your spare time studying.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Why would you do this? You're going places. I hate you.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Goddamn it how are there people like this still around, asking their dumb questions with the most obvious answer ever

In fairness, the thread is seven years old and has a billion pages so who the gently caress would want to read the whole thing

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Adar posted:

In fairness, the thread is seven years old and has a billion pages so who the gently caress would want to read the whole thing

To lurkers and prospective 1Ls who just nodded; you're loving idiots and that post was a trick, don't go to law school

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Also no you can't work part time. 1L schedules are dictated by the law school and you should be spending much of your spare time studying.

yeah, but some schools will look the other way. I worked a 20-30 hour week as a proofreader my 1L year...against ABA rules and not the best idea if you want to be order of the coif, but since ABA isn't paying my rent...

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Dude has to be loving with us:

1) No one has read the whole thread.

2) No one who takes the LSAT doesn't know how good their score is.

3) 20 pages ago we were talking about lawyers leaving law for computer stuff.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Beyond the idiocy of going to law school, my 2nd worst decision was easily working part time during it. It's exhausting and absolutely no one cares about the "experience" or references you get while doing it, and your grades and social life will absolutely suffer.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Lote posted:

Warszawa was probably on the Big Aristotle team at Liffeys. gently caress those guys

Hahahahaha I love everything about this.

Adar posted:

To lurkers and prospective 1Ls who just nodded; you're loving idiots and that post was a trick, don't go to law school

For reference, I am spending my Saturday reading through IRS interpretations of congressional acts - hundreds of pages per act - in order to write maybe three to eight sentences.

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 17, 2015

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Also I am fortunate in that cost is not an issue for me.

Why do people say this? Who are you people that have so much money that not only can you afford to dump it into law school (and then forgo three years of earnings and experience), but you can't think of anything better to do with it?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
one of the new parents in my baby music class has a 911 was an inside job bumper sticker.

Someone want to take the vegas odds on whether or not her kid is vaccinated?1

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

Yes, I understand. However I am applying regardless and deferring the decision on whether to attend until I see where I get in. Also I am fortunate in that cost is not an issue for me.

So part time work in law school (other than retail stuff) is not feasible?

Edit: also I heard prospects are good for patent attorneys, is that no longer true?

Right now the prospects are very good for patent prosecution attorneys. Though I am not sure if you would want to be one. Personally I would stick with a developer type position.

mongeese fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 17, 2015

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

ActusRhesus posted:

one of the new parents in my baby music class has a 911 was an inside job bumper sticker.

Someone want to take the vegas odds on whether or not her kid is vaccinated?1

Do you learn how to perform music for a baby audience, or do the babies learn to make music? Or is it more of a music appreciation course where you explain the difference between acid metal, speed metal and numetal to a baby?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
If the one I took my kids to is similar, the babies learn the finer arts of percussion by banging each other's heads with maracas to music.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

Before you ask us "how" to do this you should ask yourself "why." Your parents and grandparents were lawyers in the golden age of the profession. That age has long since ended, and the legal profession is contracting and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. You could be a programmer/developer/whatever in the golden age of THOSE professions, which seems set to continue for the foreseeable future. Maybe once you've established yourself you can explore some intersection with what remains of the legal field, but if you go NOW rather than spending a few years in the profession you've actually trained for, you will be throwing away hard-earned, marketable skills, and a convenient entry position for furthering those skills. Who knows what the economy will look like in three years; you may not be able to fall back on your CS degree if you can't get a legal job (or even more likely, can't stand the legal job you get).

This is a good point and definitely something I'm thinking about. I'm not really planning on going to law school right away. My intention is to work in my job for at least a year, see how I like it, see what the markets look like, and then maybe go to law school.

quote:

If you want more education for the sake of education/time away from the real world, why not get an MS in computer science?
This is the opposite of what I want. I actually like work a lot more than school, and if I decide not to go to law school it will probably be for this reason--I prefer the real world to academia.

Yes, I get it, you all think I shouldn't do law school. I appreciate your frankness on this. I'm not sure I should do it either. :P The point is I intend to apply anyway to keep a potential option open, and so I'd like some advice on things like getting recs and so on.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

mongeese posted:

Right now the prospects are very good for patent prosecution attorneys. Though I am not sure if you would want to be one. Personally I would stick with a developer type position.

Decent for patent litigation too. Of course, prospects for both were good in 2007 and by 2011, well...

If you actually enjoy coding, you probably won't enjoy legal work. Consider strongly why you want to be a lawyer - compsci is probably a more sustainable career long term anyway.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Don't spend time applying. You aren't keeping an option open that is worth having as an option. It's like applying to be a garbageman in case software engineering doesn't work out. Is that actually an alternative?

There is a very real risk if you apply to law school that you may actually go to law school, which is the worst of all possible worlds.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Yes, I get it, you all think I shouldn't do law school. I appreciate your frankness on this. I'm not sure I should do it either. :P The point is I intend to apply anyway to keep a potential option open, and so I'd like some advice on things like getting recs and so on.

Just ask people, dude; there aren't any tricks to asking for a recommendation. The school isn't going to read it anyway, because it doesn't really matter unless the letter is from Obama or Scalia or something.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

sullat posted:

If the one I took my kids to is similar, the babies learn the finer arts of percussion by banging each other's heads with maracas to music.

I thought you looked familiar.

yeah, it's basically sing some songs, play with scarves, put maracas in mouth, beat other kids with cowbell power hour.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Probad posted:

Why do people say this? Who are you people that have so much money that not only can you afford to dump it into law school (and then forgo three years of earnings and experience), but you can't think of anything better to do with it?

Excessive self-confidence, being naive, and telling one's self "I won't be like all those who did it and hate it, I'll like it, I'll get a job after graduation, wait and see!"

I just don't know what else to do. My college plan began with the intention of going to law school, and I can't fathom doing anything else.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Lote posted:

Sam jumps into Hauldren Collider's body and reads his last post.

"Oh boy!"

Underrated

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Toona the Cat posted:

Excessive self-confidence, being naive, and telling one's self "I won't be like all those who did it and hate it, I'll like it, I'll get a job after graduation, wait and see!"

I just don't know what else to do. My college plan began with the intention of going to law school, and I can't fathom doing anything else.

So did mine. Since that point I've played cards for a living and now have a fairly technical role in an organization that deals cards for a living. Also, I'm no longer on the North American continent. This is a success story.

Don't go to law school, do fathom something else.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Adar posted:

So did mine. Since that point I've played cards for a living and now have a fairly technical role in an organization that deals cards for a living. Also, I'm no longer on the North American continent. This is a success story.

Don't go to law school, do fathom something else.

Svalbard seed vault product manager

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

mastershakeman posted:

Beyond the idiocy of going to law school, my 2nd worst decision was easily working part time during it. It's exhausting and absolutely no one cares about the "experience" or references you get while doing it, and your grades and social life will absolutely suffer.

I worked 40+ hours a week during law school. :coffeepal:

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

blarzgh posted:

Dude has to be loving with us:

1) No one has read the whole thread.

2) No one who takes the LSAT doesn't know how good their score is.

3) 20 pages ago we were talking about lawyers leaving law for computer stuff.

Hey some of us are old enough to have read the last entirety of the last several threads. Now get off my lawn :wal:

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Passed the patent bar on try #2 - pretty smoothly I think
Crashed on me twice even

It is still a totally bullshit and arbitrary exam

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

BigHead posted:

Don't go. It's never a good idea to go unless you have a full ride scholarship to a T14.

You have a job lined up in a good industry. You do not want to spend $500,000 and probably more* to have an outside shot to get a low paying job in a dying industry. Job prospects are really bad for everyone.

*Remember, it's $50k plus per year for tuition, then room and board, plus you are giving up your regular salary.

Either factor in lost income or factor in cost of living, but don't factor in both unless you assume for some reason that he'd be living with his parents if he didn't go to law school.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Passed the patent bar on try #2 - pretty smoothly I think
Crashed on me twice even
Congrats.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

It is still a totally bullshit and arbitrary exam
Yep.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

What's the deal with these Garbage Dick avatars?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tokelau All Star posted:

What's the deal with these Garbage Dick avatars?

Babies were too cute, not enough people transitioning into paid-for avatars, probably.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

sullat posted:

Babies were too cute, not enough people transitioning into paid-for avatars, probably.

That's pretty whack. My advice for everyone is to post enough times in the Simpsons Quote Thread that someone buys a sweet Principal Skinner avatar for you (preferably from your work computer during work hours).

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Tokelau All Star posted:

That's pretty whack. My advice for everyone is to post enough times in the Simpsons Quote Thread that someone buys a sweet Principal Skinner avatar for you (preferably from your work computer during work hours).

Tokelau All Star was paid $8 for his 32 hours of posting. He was glad to receive it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

sullat posted:

Except it punishes the rest of us.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
According to our resident sovereign citizen, I am a member of the shadow government Illuminati Bilderberg conspiracy.

Honestly, I'd hoped it would pay better.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Adar posted:

If you want to blow a hundred thousand dollars to be an rear end in a top hat go start a business

I'm enjoying being a loser helping out non profits but I can only afford it since I have zero law school debt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Speaking of lovely career decisions do we have any Canadian lawyers

My fiancé is a vet in Canada and might be part owner to a practice soon. I can't really say "no honey come down to Florida with your lawyer husband who makes a bazillion dollars less than you"

So I might be looking to take the Ontario bar if we decide on living up there

gently caress me I don't want to take another exam