Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

I just actually read that post and it's one of the most "my hat of d02 know no limit" things I've ever seen.
If you think calling something (mistakenly, in ASoIaF's case) a D&D lookalike is a sign of visceral hate, that says more about your preferences than mine, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Littlefinger posted:

If you think calling something (mistakenly, in ASoIaF's case) a D&D lookalike is a sign of visceral hate, that says more about your preferences than mine, sorry.

Well your implication was that Green Ronin is inherently an incompetent or bad company because they were founded during the beginning of the d20 boom and have done a lot of work with d20, but maybe I read more vitriol into that post than was meant.

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014

Lightning Lord posted:

Yeah, the Tor Appendix N series was great. I especially liked how often they came to totally different conclusions about the same book. My reaction to Three Hearts and Three Lions for example, was way more in line with Mordicai's than Tim's.

In retrospect, Tim was generally the much less interesting critic of the pair. He wasn't a very careful reader, as can be demonstrated by his Zelazny review. He even gets confused by one of the most basic elements of the setting, thinking that the Earth we know is real and the other planes are illusions. Granted, Amber is teen reading with some 1970s fantasy writer sexism mixed in, but it's remarkable that someone can get confused in a book so straightforward. Mordicai Knode at least seems to know how to read and isn't instantly bored by old books.

I can get why Bellairs's children's novels weren't included in Appendix N: After the first couple, they're just not great. Perfectly readable but very formulaic. Compared to The Face In The Frost, which was thumbing its nose at formula before the formula for high fantasy was even firmly established.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

Well your implication was that Green Ronin is inherently an incompetent or bad company because they were founded during the beginning of the d20 boom and have done a lot of work with d20, but maybe I read more vitriol into that post than was meant.

Uh, I guess it was too snarky/badly worded then.
I was just speculating that since most of their work had stayed within arms reach of D&D, perhaps they were uncomfortable straying too far from it, you know, something about Wellingtons.
Which turned out to be all wrong, DA was done the way it was mostly due to licensing shenanigans and an actual design decision by Bioware to have them create Yet Another Old-School Not-D&D. So mission competently accomplished, I guess? :shrug:

I actually kinda like most of their stuff, even Blue Rose, at least something like that came out. I just think it was a missed opportunity, nothing says accessible romantic fantasy make-believe more than binary pass/fail, polyhedral dice, SDCIWC and feat chains. :eng99:

Littlefinger fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 17, 2015

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Echophonic posted:

I've seen a few AW hacks for Mass Effect, but this is by far the best and most complete.

There is also a FATE hack based on Diaspora. It's really good and absolutely nails all the characters from the series when it stats them out.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ytztnyj4zjn

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So, apropos of nothing, you goons need to watch the Amazon pilot for The Man in the High Castle like, loving, now.

http://www.amazon.com/Man-High-Castle/dp/B00RSGFRY8/

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

dwarf74 posted:

So, apropos of nothing, you goons need to watch the Amazon pilot for The Man in the High Castle like, loving, now.

I know this was written in the 1960s before a lot of the research came out, but this and Wolfenstein: The New Order keep making me wonder--how the devil do the authors of these sorts of "Fascism Wins!" alternate histories have the Axis Powers win without straight up flipping the U.S. to their side? I mean, starting from the European side, the USSR was flipping huge in territory, resources, and manpower, and Operation Sealion was never going to pan out thanks to Kriegsmarine weakness and the inability of the Luftwaffe to make any sort of headway securing air dominance. And even if we magically teleport Fallshirmjaegers onto British soil, they'd have to deal with big portions of the government and high ranking military being evacuated to Canada, an invasion of which from continental Europe would only magnify the Sealion issue even further. And in the Pacific, the Japanese government was hilariously dysfunctional, its equipment was outdated and rickety (look at its machine guns and pistols! Never mind its heavier guns, its fighters, its "tanks"...), its doctrine seemed to emphasize brutality and zeal over actual military effectiveness, and that's not even getting into its own resource woes. There's a reason the Japanese war machine largely switched over to the defensive about 6-8 months after the Pearl Harbor attack. And let's not get into the :lol: that is the Italian military, they of Operation Compass and the botched invasion of Greece. I know this is me overthinking this but...how? And why, for that matter?

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 17, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
In the case of Wolfenstein: the New Order the answer to how the Nazis achieve victory is "stolen ancient Jewish supertechnology." No, really. Geopolitical realities can take a seat next to giant robots, supersoldiers, and a Reich capable of beating the Manhattan Project to the punch.

Like, please don't confuse Wolfenstein with an attempt to produce a realistic and painstakingly-researched alternate history scenario. The premise is that a guy named "Deathshead" finds sufficiently advanced technology secreted away by an ancient order of Jewish technotheosophists and uses it to conquer the world. Then BJ Blaskowicz takes a chunk of shrapnel to the head and spends 14 years in a coma before coming to none the worse for wear, then proceeds to tear-rear end across the world dual-wielding semi-automatic shotguns and a stolen Nazi laser rifle before traveling to the Nazi moon base to steal nuclear launch codes for the U-boat/aircraft carrier he stole earlier by hiding in a torpedo casing. Later he will fight even more robots.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kai Tave posted:

In the case of Wolfenstein: the New Order the answer to how the Nazis achieve victory is "stolen ancient Jewish supertechnology." No, really. Geopolitical realities can take a seat next to giant robots, supersoldiers, and a Reich capable of beating the Manhattan Project to the punch.

Like, please don't confuse Wolfenstein with an attempt to produce a realistic and painstakingly-researched alternate history scenario. The premise is that a guy named "Deathshead" finds sufficiently advanced technology secreted away by an ancient order of Jewish technotheosophists and uses it to conquer the world. Then BJ Blaskowicz takes a chunk of shrapnel to the head and spends 14 years in a coma before coming to none the worse for wear, then proceeds to tear-rear end across the world dual-wielding semi-automatic shotguns and a stolen Nazi laser rifle before traveling to the Nazi moon base to steal nuclear launch codes for the U-boat/aircraft carrier he stole earlier by hiding in a torpedo casing. Later he will fight even more robots.

You have, incidentally, just described exactly why Wolfenstein: The New Order is a goddamn triumph in every way.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean I'm just saying, Wolfenstein bears at most a passing resemblance to reality. Return to Castle Wolfenstein revolved around a secret Nazi plot to reanimate the dead. Wolf 2009 had BJ Blazkowicz using a crystal-powered magical medallion to battle Nazi science-mystics as they attempted to weaponize an alternate dimension. If you're looking to Wolfenstein to provide you with a plausible alternate history scenario you are, I would posit, looking in entirely the wrong place.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Davin Valkri posted:

I know this is me overthinking this but...how? And why, for that matter?

I'm pretty sure Philip K. Dick decided he wanted to tell a story in a setting where the Axis won, and then consulted the I Ching for the details.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Kellsterik posted:

I'm pretty sure Philip K. Dick decided he wanted to tell a story in a setting where the Axis won, and then consulted the I Ching for the details.

There's an interview where he said he really did.

That's a good adaption. They changed up a bunch of stuff ump from tot play with expectations, then referenced a bunch of stuff from the novel. I'm pretty happy. Except with the script. the story is fine, the screenplay is fine, but the script has long stretches and entire scenes where it just really sucks. The direction is brilliant though. About half of the scenes shouldn't work at all, but they do because the actors sell really terrible lines delivered at the wrong time and in the wrong context. It's better than it should be, and I'm keen to see where they go with it. it's very possible that the big metaphysical twist in the book was set up in this episode. Oh, and the visuals and background "oh hey, nazis" stuff is great.

You should all read the book, it's probably Phillip K. Dick's best novel. I doubt this will be the best adaption of one of his stories, but it should be at least competent overall, and for a book I didn't think would ever get filmed. The show is trying hard to play with expectations, and god drat am I looking forward to the hotel scene now more than ever.
http://www.amazon.com/High-Castle-P...the+high+castle

Read it and watch it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Echophonic posted:

I've seen a few AW hacks for Mass Effect, but this is by far the best and most complete.

It is pretty great, but I wish Geth, Hanar, and Elcor were playable. I can understand skipping Protheans, Levithans, and Yahgs as they are few in number, not a part of galactic civilization, and would draw too much attention and be general Mary Sues, but the others were disappointing exclusions.

mllaneza posted:

There is also a FATE hack based on Diaspora. It's really good and absolutely nails all the characters from the series when it stats them out.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ytztnyj4zjn

I have Diaspora from an old Bundle Of Holding. Is it any good? Because I'm interested in playing this Hack now.

Covok fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 17, 2015

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Man in the High Castle (the book) didn't wow me that much- the premise was neat (albeit overdone since), and the ending's great, but Do Androids... and A Scanner Darkly both had more emotional oomph.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

mllaneza posted:

Read it and watch it.
I forgot I'm old, and figured most goons had already read it. :blush:

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

So hey, here's a thing. Apparently a few years ago I wrote a super-simple vampire rpg thing? I think it might have been for a contest on here I never entered or something.

Anyway, it's never been played, is formatted weirdly, and I haven't really looked at it since wrote it, but I figured someone in here might want to look at it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there an application that'll let you merge PDFs together? Or perhaps it's an option in Foxit/Adobe that I just haven't discovered yet.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there an application that'll let you merge PDFs together? Or perhaps it's an option in Foxit/Adobe that I just haven't discovered yet.
The full Adobe Acrobat package definitely does; I had to use it regularly several years back for work.

I haven't looked much at it since, though.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Covok posted:

I have Diaspora from an old Bundle Of Holding. Is it any good? Because I'm interested in playing this Hack now.
IIRC It was one of the better pre-Core Fate games.

Pretty much an attempt at emulating the feel of Traveller.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's a decent freeware program called PDF Split and Merge. It worked okay for me when I had to break up a bunch of PDFs for a job about a year back.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Davin Valkri posted:

I know this was written in the 1960s before a lot of the research came out, but this and Wolfenstein: The New Order keep making me wonder--how the devil do the authors of these sorts of "Fascism Wins!" alternate histories have the Axis Powers win without straight up flipping the U.S. to their side? I mean, starting from the European side, the USSR was flipping huge in territory, resources, and manpower, and Operation Sealion was never going to pan out thanks to Kriegsmarine weakness and the inability of the Luftwaffe to make any sort of headway securing air dominance. And even if we magically teleport Fallshirmjaegers onto British soil, they'd have to deal with big portions of the government and high ranking military being evacuated to Canada, an invasion of which from continental Europe would only magnify the Sealion issue even further. And in the Pacific, the Japanese government was hilariously dysfunctional, its equipment was outdated and rickety (look at its machine guns and pistols! Never mind its heavier guns, its fighters, its "tanks"...), its doctrine seemed to emphasize brutality and zeal over actual military effectiveness, and that's not even getting into its own resource woes. There's a reason the Japanese war machine largely switched over to the defensive about 6-8 months after the Pearl Harbor attack. And let's not get into the :lol: that is the Italian military, they of Operation Compass and the botched invasion of Greece. I know this is me overthinking this but...how? And why, for that matter?

This is why Fatherland is the best alternate history book with the premise, "What if the Nazis won?" D-Day fails, Britain falls but the government flees to Canada, Japan loses to the US, and fascist Europe is fighting a constant war with the the Soviets who have been pushed to the Urals. It's pretty much a Cold War between the democratic and fascist blocs with cracks beginning to appear in the Nazi regime and President Joe Kennedy, JFK's father, embarking on a mission of detente with the Nazis.

EDIT: If anyone is interested in it, it's not a Turtledove-esque venture where all these historical figures are the key characters. It's a novel involving a German police officer investigating the deaths of high ranking Nazi officials and a conspiracy that could end the Nazi regime.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 17, 2015

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

gently caress alt-history nazi germany, i want alt-history Red Europe where Patton picked his dream fight with Zhukov and got his poo poo ruined.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm gonna buy an antique copy of D&D 3.5 and take it back to the 70s so Gygax will make the D&D that I want.

Just saw part 2.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Forums Terrorist posted:

gently caress alt-history nazi germany, i want alt-history Red Europe where Patton picked his dream fight with Zhukov and got his poo poo ruined.

gently caress, when I saw "Patton" my mind immediately sprung to "Patton Oswalt" even though I knew exactly who you meant and now I just want to see Patton Oswalt play Patton in a movie.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
mllaneza, have you seen this thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692085

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm gonna buy an antique copy of D&D 3.5 and take it back to the 70s so Gygax will make the D&D that I want.

Just saw part 2.

No, no, no, no, no, Gary. Both you and Dave turn out fine. It's your grogs, Gary. Something's gotta be done about your grogs!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm a crack shot at this game.

*Rolls a natural 20*

Wait, you have to use dice? It's like a baby's toy!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm a crack shot at this game.

*Rolls a natural 20*

Wait, you have to use dice? It's like a baby's toy!

Error 404 posted:

Wait, character gen is less complex than a differential equation? That's a baby's game!

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Davin Valkri posted:

Zangara kills Roosevelt in 1933, leading to a depressed and isolationist US, unwilling to send aid to Europe. The implausibility of the Nazi victory is a key plot point in High Castle, actually- the last chapter explains perfectly why they live in a world like that. It's PKD, man.

Also, within the setting they're reading alternate history fiction about a world where the Allies won WWII, and they're complaining about how implausible it is.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
If we're gonna talk about Alt history books, I feel the need to bring up the Iron Dream

Yeah, you read that right. Adolf Hitler's best science fiction novel.

Here's an explanation:

Wikipedia posted:

The Iron Dream is a metafictional 1972 alternate history novel by Norman Spinrad. The book has a nested narrative that tells a story within a story. On the surface, the novel presents an unexceptional pulp, post-apocalypse science fiction action tale entitled Lord of the Swastika. However, this is a pro-fascism narrative written by an alternate-history Adolf Hitler, who in this timeline emigrated from Germany to the United States in 1919 after the Great War, and used his modest artistic skills to become first a pulp–science fiction illustrator and later a successful science fiction writer, telling lurid, purple-prosed adventure stories under a thin SF-veneer.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Homoerotic does not begin to describe it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I can blow the dust off my extra set if you want a copy. I'm not sure what edition it is.

No, i didn't see that one. I'm kind of curious how it's progressed in the decade or so since I looked at it last. I do love their naval mechanics though.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I foresee two possibilities. One: playing the latest edition would put her into shock and she'd simply pass out. Or two: playing 5e could create a time paradox, the result of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space-time continuum and destroy the entire universe! Granted, that's a worst-case scenario. The destruction might in fact be very localized, limited to merely our own galaxy.

Be fair, he hadn't seen it at the time.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

mllaneza posted:

I can blow the dust off my extra set if you want a copy. I'm not sure what edition it is.

No, i didn't see that one. I'm kind of curious how it's progressed in the decade or so since I looked at it last. I do love their naval mechanics though.

Oh hell no I don't need a copy. I finally got rid of all my Europa stuff and I now have space in one of my closets.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Covok posted:

It is pretty great, but I wish Geth, Hanar, and Elcor were playable. I can understand skipping Protheans, Levithans, and Yahgs as they are few in number, not a part of galactic civilization, and would draw too much attention and be general Mary Sues, but the others were disappointing exclusions.

Hanar racial move: Enkindle THIS!

Diaspora is a bit too crunchy for my taste for actual play. The cluster generation is absolutely amazing, though. I ran a mini-campaign using it and FATE Core for the actual game. Here's Solomon's Folly, the cluster we came up with, to give you an idea of what it can do. Just a general idea (in our case, a sort of space western that ended up with something akin to the Gold Rush) and the cluster rules can get you a really cool setting that everyone buys into.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

dwarf74 posted:

Well I loved it, Dwarf74. Though the concept of not understanding how this would work mystifies me; they made it clear like 5 minutes in that the Nazis had the atomic bomb, and the subtext there is that the USA did not. So we probably gave up rather than lose all the rest of our major cities the same way. Is it really that hard to rationalize?

(Plus, if the Soviet-Nazi alliance had ACTUALLY held up, there is another major reason the Axis was doomed that is averted)

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I got bailed on and have nothing better to do on a Saturday night than get hammered and watch X-files, so consider this some Phillip K. Dick-inspired collateral damage.

The basics of MitHC are that Roosevelt is assassinated a year into his presidency and a series of do-nothings and incompetents take over, so the US never recovers from the Great Depression and never grows out of its post-WWI isolationism. As a result, there's not enough material support for the remaining allies, so the Soviets are defeated without a Western front to occupy the Germans or to diminish their own industry.

With time on their side for a change, the Axis is able to finish conquering Eurasia and consolidate their industrial and resource bases. This version of Pearl Harbor catches the entire US Pacific fleet and destroys it, and thanks to the economic malaise, the Americans can't just build their way out of the hole like in our timeline. I know the show outright says it, but I think the novel just heavily implies that the US is nuked into submission by the Nazis, and the war is prolonged until 1947.

So, there is your nerdy-nerd rationale as to why there are Nazis in New York and SFO is actually Hirohito International. This next bit is spoilers for the novel and presumably the series, so if you're going to be a schmuck and not read a decent novel, go ahead and mouse over this poo poo:

The titular Man is an author who's written an alternate-history novel within the fictional framework of Dick's novel itself, which is called The Grasshopper Lies Heavy. In Grasshopper, Roosevelt serves out two terms, his successor removes the US fleet from Pearl and thus avoids the attack altogether, Rommel is defeated and the British sweep out of North Africa into the Caucasus to relieve Stalingrad, and Berlin falls to a Soviet-British force. The US and nationalist China versus Britain ends up being the two sides of the Cold War, with Britain becoming steadily more bigoted in its efforts to hold on to its empire while the US is progressive and desegregates in the early '50s.

This is relevant because the whole point of the book is that the world of MitHC should not be, and because it's a Dick book, our timeline's outcome should not be.

Also, this

Kellsterik posted:

is the literal truth of the matter, and I'm just elaborating because I'm bored and I know there's a bunch of fuckin' nerds in here just waiting to go "Well actually" about a theming device.

Either read or watch Man in the High Castle, or better still do both. MitHC is a good jumping-on point for PKD novels; it's not like it's fuckin' VALIS or something. Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep is honestly not as good as Blade Runner.

Like, literally the point of drat near everything PKD wrote is that reality as presented is not as it seems. Trust the text, only so you can then not trust the text.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Oh hell no I don't need a copy. I finally got rid of all my Europa stuff and I now have space in one of my closets.

So you've got room for a copy of Squadron Strike: Traveller ! That's great. We're going to press next month.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you...I am so weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you...I am so weak.

I'll let you know when the boxed set is out.

• Locked thread