Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
got it

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Writing question: What do people mostly use to get word counts on their pieces? I'm just knocking stories out in WordPad (free with Windows :v: ) and it doesn't have a tool for that. I know Word does, but I really don't want to install Office if I can avoid it. I note that word counts are a requirement for most of the writing threads and I suspect that estimating will be less than accurate.

E: \/ \/ Cheers! That's very useful. Except it confirms that I already blew out my word limit on my first ever Thunderdome submission. :ohdear: Ah well, not like I had a shot anyway. No edits or backsies so I'm going to get flogged.

SadisTech fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 7, 2015

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

edit: This website has a counter: http://www.wordcounter.net/

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 7, 2015

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Not sure where to ask this, is there a resource/tutorial freely available for colour theory (I think that's the term)? I'm trying to colour inked lineart and it just looks gross and flat.

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011

ijyt posted:

Not sure where to ask this, is there a resource/tutorial freely available for colour theory (I think that's the term)? I'm trying to colour inked lineart and it just looks gross and flat.

This PSG art tutorial has a lot of good stuff in it: http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I know sites like posemaniacs and quickposes exist, but is there a site or program where you can manually pose models?

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011

pandaK posted:

I know sites like posemaniacs and quickposes exist, but is there a site or program where you can manually pose models?

There's an app for this called "Pose Tool". Kind of time consuming, but it does what you want. You can probably install it on your computer through the google play/app store link, although I haven't tried to myself.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alienthink.posetool3d&hl=en

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

raging bullwinkle posted:

This PSG art tutorial has a lot of good stuff in it: http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm

Thanks!

e: had a quick scroll through it, this is exactly what I was looking for!

ijyt fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 11, 2015

zelgadis
Sep 5, 2004

Doesn't that just beat all
Not sure if this is the exact forum, what's the deal with using music in youtube videos? I've read all about fair use, and policies youtube has etc. But I saw a Pat the nes punk video where he use "Push it to the Limit" in a montage, and maybe he got permission but I highly doubt it. I believe i have seen push it to the limit in parody montages regularly on youtube. This is not a fair use because it does not parody the song itself and uses it nontransformatively.

In creating Youtube videos I have lots ideas that would utilize licensed music(i.e. music by any band), but I assumed the automatic detection would render it unusable, like twitch mutes vods with commercial music. I thought maybe if your aren't a partner then maybe you're more likely to slip under the radar, but i'm pretty sure pat monetizes his videos. So, without getting into legality too much, is it common for this use to go unnoticed on youtube for old songs? Or whats the deal? Can't do a montage with stock music.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

zelgadis posted:

Not sure if this is the exact forum, what's the deal with using music in youtube videos? I've read all about fair use, and policies youtube has etc. But I saw a Pat the nes punk video where he use "Push it to the Limit" in a montage, and maybe he got permission but I highly doubt it. I believe i have seen push it to the limit in parody montages regularly on youtube. This is not a fair use because it does not parody the song itself and uses it nontransformatively.

In creating Youtube videos I have lots ideas that would utilize licensed music(i.e. music by any band), but I assumed the automatic detection would render it unusable, like twitch mutes vods with commercial music. I thought maybe if your aren't a partner then maybe you're more likely to slip under the radar, but i'm pretty sure pat monetizes his videos. So, without getting into legality too much, is it common for this use to go unnoticed on youtube for old songs? Or whats the deal? Can't do a montage with stock music.

We don't have to get into the legality at all. If someone big enough cares enough, they'll issue a takedown.

There are also subscription services that he might be subscribing to that would make his use legal, but who knows

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I have recently nailed a gig where I'm basically paid to monitor a weekly 3 hour long life model drawing session, with the benefit of being able to sit there and draw while on the job, this is my absolute golden opportunity to push myself closer to mastery of drawing the human form , do you guys know of any resources/exercises/work plans I can use to get as much as I can out of this?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

I have recently nailed a gig where I'm basically paid to monitor a weekly 3 hour long life model drawing session, with the benefit of being able to sit there and draw while on the job, this is my absolute golden opportunity to push myself closer to mastery of drawing the human form , do you guys know of any resources/exercises/work plans I can use to get as much as I can out of this?

That is fricken awesome.

It's kinda hard to recommend materials though since everyone has their preference and what might be best for you would depend on what you want to work on. Though if you want to get super picky about anatomy studies, especially if its long poses, I am very fond of this book http://www.amazon.com/Human-Anatomy-Artists-Elements-Form/dp/0195052064/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421017137&sr=8-1&keywords=goldfinger+anatomy
and this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Anatomy-Artist-Stephen-Rogers/dp/0195030958/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421017170&sr=8-1&keywords=peck+anatomy

Those might be useful if you are working on understanding muscle attachments/motion and stuff and it's a lot of long poses.

Though something super detailed might not be helpful if you wanted to practice something more gestural or try to do more quick and fluid stuff. So I guess the best approach would be to take a look at your work, think about a very specific thing you'd like to be better at (like say, drawing better hands or shoulders, or getting a better sense of weight or whatever) then focus on that for a few sessions. Then pick something new and work on that, etc.

What could also be cool is to do a few master studies like of a Rubens or Prudhon life drawing or something to get a feel for how they do things, then try to replicate their style/technique later during a life session.

That's the awesome bit about life studies, there are so many different ways to approach them its hard to go wrong. Something to learn from doing just about anything.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

zelgadis posted:

YouTube's bots are much more nuanced these days in that they don't just blanket delete videos with copyrighted music. It all depends on what the license holder has requested. Some stuff makes it through because the license holder doesn't care. Some stuff the license holder has allowed to be used on YouTube. Other times, it will block your video in certain countries. Other times it will insert a "Song is X by Y" annotation in your description. Other times the license holder will allow music to be used but the video cannot be monetized, the license holder hijacks the monetization for that video, or they get to put an ad on your video that makes them money. Or, of course, it's blocked. There's also a large bank of music that YouTube lists that is available to use. Finally, from what I've heard, if the clip you use is less than 10 seconds long, then it doesn't get flagged.

Basically, it's a mess.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Al-Saqr posted:

one question have you accepted our lord and savior Vilppu into your heart and soul?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

pandaK posted:

one question have you accepted our lord and savior Vilppu into your heart and soul?

I remember seeing his videos somewhere at some point, but that was ages ago. I heard his stuff is a paid class? anything in particular I should look into?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Well here's one video showing some of his stuff that's free at least: http://www.proko.com/drawing-demo-glenn-vilppu/

Billy Shears
Jul 9, 2009

I cut Paul's hair.

pandaK posted:

This. Get a hold of the Drawing Manual. It provides a solid foundation into getting the gesture and building structure.

As far as running the workshop, do you have a set routine on the pose lengths?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Billy Shears posted:

This. Get a hold of the Drawing Manual. It provides a solid foundation into getting the gesture and building structure.

As far as running the workshop, do you have a set routine on the pose lengths?

I'm not entirely sure what exact routine to use most effectively, I am looking at some examples online and I've received general guidelines on how to go about it, I'm still deciding on what's the best method.

I might go for the classic ramp up of 5X30 secs - 5x1 min - 3X3 min -5 min - 10 mins for the first hour, then move to four 15 min poses for the second hour, then make one 45 min pose for the final remaining time.

do you guys have any recommendations or favorite routines?

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 12, 2015

Billy Shears
Jul 9, 2009

I cut Paul's hair.

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm not entirely sure what exact routine to use most effectively, I am looking at some examples online and I've received general guidelines on how to go about it, I'm still deciding on what's the best method.

I might go for the classic ramp up of 5X30 secs - 5x1 min - 3X3 min -5 min - 10 mins for the first hour, then move to four 15 min poses for the second hour, then make one 45 min pose for the final remaining time.

do you guys have any recommendations or favorite routines?

Here's my favorite (5 minute poses builds heroes!):

8 x 3 min.
break.
5 x 5 min.
break.
5 x 5 min.
break.
1 x 5 min.
2 x 10 min.
2 x 10 min.
break.
5 x 5 min.

That gives you 36 minutes to divvy up for breaks and the possibility of the model running late.

For a workshop gears towards longer poses I like:

10 x 2 min.
break
5 x 5 min.
break
then just end it with 20 minute poses with breaks between.

Billy Shears fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 13, 2015

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Since i'm not into graphics or design at all, i'll just throw here a stupid question to avoid possible bad situation for me in the future:

I need a little design work to be done: to design a logo for a startup company. It should be a simple work, we give the background of what we do and what we would like and the designer design something (Only the graphical logo is needed).
This work will be carried out by a design student. My question is: how much should the work be paid? I have no idea, and since the student is the first time he's dealing with this kind of freelance work, he doesn't know either. Any hint?

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
That's something you'll have to come to an agreement on. $10/hr is exceptionally cheap, $50/hr is getting into the range of an experienced designer (but they also tend to work more efficiently).

Don't assume that a logo design process is simple. The end result might be very simple but it can take time to get there.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

Yip Yips posted:

That's something you'll have to come to an agreement on. $10/hr is exceptionally cheap, $50/hr is getting into the range of an experienced designer (but they also tend to work more efficiently).

Don't assume that a logo design process is simple. The end result might be very simple but it can take time to get there.

Yep, i know it's not easy, as the designer needs to pull together all the information we give him and summarize them into a logo. But honestly, i have no clue of how much time that would time in terms of hours. Thanks for the answer

Axeface
Feb 28, 2009

He Who Walks
Behind The Aisles
Hey y'all, I'm trying to get into some photography/video/video editing, and I'm looking at options as far as software goes. A friend of mine has really strongly suggested using Adobe Creative Cloud for everything. It all looks great, but, frankly, the complete package comes with more than I really need, and the monthly fee is a little steep considering my budget. The photography plan, at $10/mo, is much more reasonable to me. What I've been considering is just supplementing that with video editing software from elsewhere; SmartPixel, for instance, is much cheaper, and (at least on the surface) seems to meet all my requirements. I'm more or less a total neophyte to all this, so I'm mostly looking for a foot in the door, something cheap and relatively manageable that I can use as a starting point to more involved resources.

So I guess my question would be: Does anybody have any suggestions as far as what I've been looking at here, or recommendations on other sources I might pursue? If this is a better question for the Film and Video Editing thread I'm sorry, I figured the Photography element might put it in a more general wheelhouse.

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

Sorry if this isn't the appropriate subforum for this question:

I have an Illustrator file that was generated in Illustrator CS2, when opening it in Illustrator CC I get the prompt if I want to use the legacy artboards. I click yes, everything is gravy and I am able to do what I need to do.

The issue is when I am saving the file, it merges the artboards and generates a new layer called Guides for Artboards. I have tried saving it using the CS2 compatibility set under Save As, but that still gives me the same result. The option to Use Artboards is grayed out when I go to save the documents.

Is there a workaround for this, or am I just simply missing something?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

RattiRatto posted:

Yep, i know it's not easy, as the designer needs to pull together all the information we give him and summarize them into a logo. But honestly, i have no clue of how much time that would time in terms of hours. Thanks for the answer

If you're gonna do hourly (as opposed to a lump figure) he needs to quote you a time estimate. He's most likely gonna seeing too low and then you and he will have to work that out (whether you agree on a new estimate with a new figure or you hold him to his original estimate and make him eat the hours). It's part of his learning to screw himself over on a hourly quote and it's part of you getting a good deal with a student that you have to do a little more time in discussing and dealing with his inexperience.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

A writing question: I've tried, in the past, to do the 1000 words a day thing, but it's never gone as well as I'd like.

A coworker recently, after complimenting my storytelling, suggested I take up blogging. I like the idea, as I think standalone 1000-word things would be easier (relative to my strengths/weaknesses) than 1000-word continuations of the previous day's writing.

I don't really know much about what kind of options there are beyond tumblr, though. I get the impression livejournal is kind of languishing these days, and blogger's the only other one I know about. Is there a better service out there or should I just flip a coin between tumblr and blogger?

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking for an alternative to Dana Alphasmart.

Requirements, none are negotiable:
- Cannot do anything but writing on it.
- Dvorak keyboard layout supported.
- Can export the writing without retyping it.
- Can be bought today and new, to be delivered within a couple of weeks up to a month.

Bonus features:
- Won't kill my writing if the power/battery goes.
- Can store a decent amount of text.
- Long battery life.
- Good screen.

Any ideas? I don't think what I want exists, but does not hurt to ask, I guess.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

SadisTech posted:

Writing question: What do people mostly use to get word counts on their pieces? I'm just knocking stories out in WordPad (free with Windows :v: ) and it doesn't have a tool for that. I know Word does, but I really don't want to install Office if I can avoid it. I note that word counts are a requirement for most of the writing threads and I suspect that estimating will be less than accurate.

E: \/ \/ Cheers! That's very useful. Except it confirms that I already blew out my word limit on my first ever Thunderdome submission. :ohdear: Ah well, not like I had a shot anyway. No edits or backsies so I'm going to get flogged.

Alternatively I can recommend LibreOffice, its a free open-source Microsoft Office clone. The layout of the individual programs is nearly identical to the Office 2003 suite, and has 99.9% of of the functionality. Another similar free clone is OpenOffice but it has some stability issues and is not being developed as actively.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Trebuchet King posted:

A writing question: I've tried, in the past, to do the 1000 words a day thing, but it's never gone as well as I'd like.

A coworker recently, after complimenting my storytelling, suggested I take up blogging. I like the idea, as I think standalone 1000-word things would be easier (relative to my strengths/weaknesses) than 1000-word continuations of the previous day's writing.

I don't really know much about what kind of options there are beyond tumblr, though. I get the impression livejournal is kind of languishing these days, and blogger's the only other one I know about. Is there a better service out there or should I just flip a coin between tumblr and blogger?

Wordpress

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Jossos posted:

Sorry if this isn't the appropriate subforum for this question:

I have an Illustrator file that was generated in Illustrator CS2, when opening it in Illustrator CC I get the prompt if I want to use the legacy artboards. I click yes, everything is gravy and I am able to do what I need to do.

The issue is when I am saving the file, it merges the artboards and generates a new layer called Guides for Artboards. I have tried saving it using the CS2 compatibility set under Save As, but that still gives me the same result. The option to Use Artboards is grayed out when I go to save the documents.

Is there a workaround for this, or am I just simply missing something?

Can you click the option to save each art board as a separate file?

Maybe a work-around would be to do that as CC, then re-open each and save down individually?

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

getting real tired of your shit, steve
A couple of questions for any button makers in the thread.

I usually buy custom pinback buttons for our shows from a friend of mine, but he's going on an extended tour, and I'm considering picking up a machine to produce them myself.

What are some good resources?

What kind of 1/4" machines are worth the investment?

Are there any particular companies that you like for button parts?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
The varnish I use for my acrylic paintings says it can be diluted to a certain point with water. I've always done this up to this point, but I was wondering, does it really matter? Will the varnish still be as clear if I use it as it comes out of the bottle, or does the dilution affect that? Will it be cloudier/more opaque if I don't dilute?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
My grandfather painted and sketched a tremendous amount during his life, but didn't sell much of his work. I have probably hundreds of his sketches, and dozens of his paintings. I spent years doing conservation quality framing, so I know how to store it and care for it, but I never studied art or art history. I am interested in finding out, from an artistic standpoint, how his work would be classified and getting some kind of review / critique of it if possible, and maybe trying to put together a show of his work in a local space. I don't have delusions of grandeur or anything that all of this stuff is worth anything (and I'm not looking to sell it really anyway). I don't really know how to go about this though. Should I go through it all and photograph it to create a sort of portfolio, and then talk to galleries? Does anyone have any experience or pointers doing this sort of thing?

silentpenguins
May 9, 2013

Abysswalking
Not particularly sure if this is the right forum but I didn't see any for fashion... Does anyone know what shirt this guy is wearing?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

silentpenguins posted:

Not particularly sure if this is the right forum but I didn't see any for fashion... Does anyone know what shirt this guy is wearing?

You'll probably get a better answer here

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

armorer posted:

Should I go through it all and photograph it to create a sort of portfolio, and then talk to galleries?

Yes. Don't photograph everything, that might be a bit burdensome, but some photos in a little portfolio and then a stroll into your local galleries would be a good idea for that.

Detective Thompson posted:

The varnish I use for my acrylic paintings says it can be diluted to a certain point with water. I've always done this up to this point, but I was wondering, does it really matter? Will the varnish still be as clear if I use it as it comes out of the bottle, or does the dilution affect that? Will it be cloudier/more opaque if I don't dilute?

You might find that different brands of the same product work slightly differently. Experimentation and play is the best way. Why not paint a small strip on wood or card or something with a dark color and then lay down two varnishes, one diluted, one not, next to each other?

i am harry fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 27, 2015

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I got a box of Conte Sketching Crayons. The black ones feel nice and waxy, which is what I expected, but is it normal that the white and brown ones feel... different? The brown ones feel a lot dryer and chalkier--not much different from the koh-i-noor sepia blocks I have--and I think the white one might actually _be_ chalk. I know white chalk is common but I kind of thought they'd all behave similarly since they're all in one box that says "Sketching Crayons".

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Conte Crayons aren't like wax crayons, they're more like compressed chalk. The waxy one is probably the weird one in the set you got, not the others.

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

Ferrule posted:

Can you click the option to save each art board as a separate file?

Maybe a work-around would be to do that as CC, then re-open each and save down individually?

Thanks! This ended working out OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I'd like to try making some 3DS decals. Anyone have an online printer to recommend? Or would I be better off just getting decal paper or something for a laser printer?