Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I smoke and using bigger phones one handed will cause me to drop it while using it.

:monocle: Of course. Jesus, this actually really helps me settle on which phone's replacing my S3.

Moto X 2013 ordered. Got a great deal on ebay, and it's a comfortable size for my giant manhands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I smoke and using bigger phones one handed will cause me to drop it while using it.

There are plenty of really thin and transparent cases that add grip. But then, 5" is perfect for me, even the 4.5 inches of my Lumia 925 but anything less is annoying to text, game or even read.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Guillermus posted:

There are plenty of really thin and transparent cases that add grip. But then, 5" is perfect for me, even the 4.5 inches of my Lumia 925 but anything less is annoying to text, game or even read.

No, the problem is when I move my thumb to reach around I dropped the phone. This happens on anything bigger than a 6. IPhone 6 that is. Notes or iPhone 6 + or anything that size is just too difficult. Same as the new Nexus phone

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
I was on a Note 2 for a good while and thought that I'd find other phones claustrophobic, but the Nexus 5 is really comfortable.

I like tiny text, though.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Put skateboard grip tape on it.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Whizbang posted:

Put skateboard grip tape on it.

Will that allow me to do sick tricks as well?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rooted Android - Don't do it but put skateboard grip tape on it Tony.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
About to reroot my phone and wipe to a new ROM, but I just got a new 64 got SD card for it that I want to swap to. I have Titty Backup and all that, but I kinda wanna clean out all the poo poo, both on the internal and external card, and only keep the handful of backup SMSes (have Save and Restore) and Titty Backup stuff. Any easy and clean way to do this? Is my assumption that both programs hopefully save to a single file or directory even remotely correct?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Titanium Backup does store to one directory. No idea about the SMS one since I use SMS Backup+.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

hooah posted:

Titanium Backup does store to one directory. No idea about the SMS one since I use SMS Backup+.

Is SMS Backup+ good? I don't care which I use, just want to get the wipe done today because I'm fed up with this official ROM that was pushed on here months ago and is running like total poo poo.

Also am I crazy or does SwiftKey have dogshit performance? I've been debating switching back to regular Swype.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Fuzz posted:

Is SMS Backup+ good? I don't care which I use, just want to get the wipe done today because I'm fed up with this official ROM that was pushed on here months ago and is running like total poo poo.

Also am I crazy or does SwiftKey have dogshit performance? I've been debating switching back to regular Swype.

I like SMS Backup+, although I don't really think about it ever. It just stores texts in a Gmail label.

As for SwiftKey, they released an update a month or so ago that was supposed to improve performance. I haven't noticed it being as bad since; I have a Nexus 4. Keep in mind that the performance of the keyboard might be affected by the slowness of your entire phone.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

hooah posted:

I like SMS Backup+, although I don't really think about it ever. It just stores texts in a Gmail label.

As for SwiftKey, they released an update a month or so ago that was supposed to improve performance. I haven't noticed it being as bad since; I have a Nexus 4. Keep in mind that the performance of the keyboard might be affected by the slowness of your entire phone.

That was my assumption, yeah. The whole thing is just being lovely.

I was hoping to just have the SMSes restored as is, so they show up in my regular Messaging app. Have a lot of important ones with pictures and stuff dating back almost 2 years that I'd like to keep, and I need the sender and surrounding texts for a lot of them for context and whatnot.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Fuzz posted:

That was my assumption, yeah. The whole thing is just being lovely.

I was hoping to just have the SMSes restored as is, so they show up in my regular Messaging app. Have a lot of important ones with pictures and stuff dating back almost 2 years that I'd like to keep, and I need the sender and surrounding texts for a lot of them for context and whatnot.

SMS Backup+ can do restoration, although the last time I did it was at least a year ago and it was kinda slow. When it moves them to Gmail it does keep them in batches of no more than 100, although I don't understand how it decides when to split them up.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
SMS Backup & Restore will do it to/from XML and is fairly fast.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How can I figure out why my phone sometimes won't wake up or is maybe turning itself off? I'm not exactly sure which is happening since the battery graph shows a big gap (like it's been off) , but I have to hold the power button for a while, let go, then hold it for a few seconds, then I get the boot animation (like I'm hard resetting it). Rooted Nexus 4 running stock 5.0.2.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

hooah posted:

How can I figure out why my phone sometimes won't wake up or is maybe turning itself off? I'm not exactly sure which is happening since the battery graph shows a big gap (like it's been off) , but I have to hold the power button for a while, let go, then hold it for a few seconds, then I get the boot animation (like I'm hard resetting it). Rooted Nexus 4 running stock 5.0.2.

Look up "Nexus sleep of death." I think turning off "ok google" detection from any screen fixed it for my wife's phone, but I don't remember exactly. Also probably don't use 5.0.2 since its release was halted and isn't available from the factory image page anymore.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

RVProfootballer posted:

Look up "Nexus sleep of death." I think turning off "ok google" detection from any screen fixed it for my wife's phone, but I don't remember exactly. Also probably don't use 5.0.2 since its release was halted and isn't available from the factory image page anymore.

Hmm. I only tried that "from any screen" for a while several months back, so that shouldn't be it. I'll think about switching back from 5.0.2 (didn't know it was officially halted and no longer available).

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RVProfootballer posted:

Also probably don't use 5.0.2 since its release was halted and isn't available from the factory image page anymore.
5.0.2 was never released for anything other than the Nexus 7 2012 (Wi-Fi) and the factory image is still there.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tunga posted:

5.0.2 was never released for anything other than the Nexus 7 2012 (Wi-Fi) and the factory image is still there.

Then he probably shouldn't be using it on a Nexus 4, yeah?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, I was confused I guess. It's on 5.0.1.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Well, I successfully rooted my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5, got rid of Knox and a bunch of Verizon bloatware, but now what? I kinda sorta want to install CyanogenMod, but it looks like the builds they have for my phone (kltevzw) are all nightlies so I have no idea if they're stable or not or which one to go with.

Also I have no idea how to install CM or if I'll lose the cool Galaxy-only features like Car Mode and S Voice with its broken voice wake-up that only works in car mode :saddowns:

All the "guides" to installing CM that I can find either say DON'T DO THIS ON A VERIZON DEVICE IT WILL KILL YOUR FIRSTBORN AND MAKE YOU WEEP TEARS OF BLOOD or are meant for other devices or aimed at people who haven't already rooted their phones.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Well, I successfully rooted my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5, got rid of Knox and a bunch of Verizon bloatware, but now what? I kinda sorta want to install CyanogenMod, but it looks like the builds they have for my phone (kltevzw) are all nightlies so I have no idea if they're stable or not or which one to go with.

Also I have no idea how to install CM or if I'll lose the cool Galaxy-only features like Car Mode and S Voice with its broken voice wake-up that only works in car mode :saddowns:

All the "guides" to installing CM that I can find either say DON'T DO THIS ON A VERIZON DEVICE IT WILL KILL YOUR FIRSTBORN AND MAKE YOU WEEP TEARS OF BLOOD or are meant for other devices or aimed at people who haven't already rooted their phones.

You really don't need to do this anymore. Install adaway and be done.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

r0ck0 posted:

You really don't need to do this anymore. Install adaway and be done.

Jury's still out, because Samsung, but Bertrand Hustle should at least leave it at AdAway for a few weeks while he figures out which parts are tolerable and which are miserable (hopefully none of the latter, but you never know, because again, Samsung).

Also I wouldn't look at Xposed as an option, because as far as anyone can tell Xposed guy isn't even trying to bring his talents to Lollipop (he is literally frustrated at Google for switching Android from Dalvik to ART), and you have to wonder where else he intends to drop the ball - and how messy existing Xposed is going to leave /system in the wake of an OTA, where at least AdAway and SuperSU offer some reliable method of cleanup.

Or developers of system-altering apps will just blame it on users trying to do anything at all with phones with no factory images.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

At least Samsung phones are really easy to completely flash back to stock. So you can try any rom, app or whatever and yet unless you hardbrick it (or literally break it with a hammer) you'll still able to leave it like new.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Jury's still out, because Samsung, but Bertrand Hustle should at least leave it at AdAway for a few weeks while he figures out which parts are tolerable and which are miserable (hopefully none of the latter, but you never know, because again, Samsung).

Also I wouldn't look at Xposed as an option, because as far as anyone can tell Xposed guy isn't even trying to bring his talents to Lollipop (he is literally frustrated at Google for switching Android from Dalvik to ART), and you have to wonder where else he intends to drop the ball - and how messy existing Xposed is going to leave /system in the wake of an OTA, where at least AdAway and SuperSU offer some reliable method of cleanup.

Or developers of system-altering apps will just blame it on users trying to do anything at all with phones with no factory images.

Did some more googling and apparently custom roms are a no go on a Verizon phone without something like Safestrap, which CM doesn't work with. AdAway is good though and I've got things configured pretty much how I like them right now. May not even bother with a custom rom.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I unrooted my phone, but I think I did something horribly wrong because now I can't connect to google services at all. I can't add a backup account, and trying to create a new one gives me an "already exists" message, even using a random fingersmash on the keyboard as the name. I've checked date/time and they're right, I've ensured I have data and even connected to wifi to try, same results. I've factory reset the phone, and still no luck. I have no idea how to fix this problem. I'm using a galaxy note 2 on android 4.3 now since the reset. Please help.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Wizard of Smart posted:

I unrooted my phone, but I think I did something horribly wrong because now I can't connect to google services at all. I can't add a backup account, and trying to create a new one gives me an "already exists" message, even using a random fingersmash on the keyboard as the name. I've checked date/time and they're right, I've ensured I have data and even connected to wifi to try, same results. I've factory reset the phone, and still no luck. I have no idea how to fix this problem. I'm using a galaxy note 2 on android 4.3 now since the reset. Please help.

Did you reflash the stock firmware in Odin when you unrooted? If not, do that.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Did you reflash the stock firmware in Odin when you unrooted? If not, do that.

Just do this. Reflash the partition, firmware, radio, csc... Everything back to stock and you'll be good.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Hey guys,

I have an AT&T LG G3. I've been thinking about rooting it for xposed, but I don't want to screw myself once the OTA update for lollipop eventually rolls around. I know Lollipop doesn't support xposed but I'd like to try xposed until lollipop comes out on my carrier. I guess if I root my phone and the OTA update comes out, I can factory restore my phone and then upgrade to lollipop from there?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Factory restore, not exactly. Factory image, yes, but it looks like that could be complicated for a G3. Especially an AT&T G3, since AT&T does the locked bootloader bullshit now. At least it appears forced open, but that's a lot more XDA than I can deal with these days.

A factory restore would probably still leave you rooted, and Xposed, and unable to take an OTA successfully (which is way worse than Lollipop's 'just fails' because not all pre-Lollipop OTAs - presumably including the one to GET to Lollipop - do their homework before attempting a flash, partly because manufacturers and carriers suck and partly to spite people who do things with their phones that the manufacturer/carrier does not explicitly endorse).

EDIT: And like I said in the other thread, Xposed isn't exactly a long-term plan right now. What do you need from it that only it can do, and are you the kind of person who can abandon it when Lollipop rolls around?

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 16, 2015

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a way to root a M8 on Lollipop (official sense rom) right now?

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

kinkouin posted:

I've never heard of this, that he moved on to Google. Though I dont know about the 4.4.4 update, but previously you could ODIN down to the one that TowelRoot worked on, root it, then ODIN back up to the most recent update (again, dont know if this works with 4.4.4).

Sorry, but what is ODIN? Other than the Norse God. I'm through with Samsung software, this is terrible. I want Cyanogenmod back, and I'm pretty sure I need to root my phone first.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Zero The Hero posted:

Sorry, but what is ODIN? Other than the Norse God. I'm through with Samsung software, this is terrible. I want Cyanogenmod back, and I'm pretty sure I need to root my phone first.

Odin is a program you can use to flash stuff on your phone when it's in download mode and plugged into your PC. And yes, that still works. I flashed my Verizon Galaxy S5 to NCG (the last version towelroot worked on), ran towelroot, and then flashed it back to NK2, the most current update (at least on Verizon).

Will probably have to do it again when the 5.0 update hits.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Shai-Hulud posted:

Is there a way to root a M8 on Lollipop (official sense rom) right now?

I used sunshine pre lollypop no idea if it would work on 5.0 but if not you can get your money back.

I guess the Android Revolution HD finally got an update so I'll be doing that today or tomorrow. If you get it rooted I recommend that one. Except I haven't tried the new one or you can use sky dragon.

I did have sky dragon on here briefly but the firmware I had was out of date and it had broken WiFi and other issues so I was waiting for the new Android Revolution HD.

Not that anyone probably cares, but concerning free T Mobile unradio Rhapsody, ART seems to break it really hard ( infinite boot loop) just so you know.

Posted from my HTC One m8 pre lollipop rooted phone on the awful app.
Edit: whoops here's a link if you get that far. http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-m8#romList

Maleficent
May 26, 2014
I'm planning to buy a Tab S soon. I have a Galaxy S5 right now with XtreStoLite ROM and it's very smooth, aside from touchwiz which honestly isn't that big of a deal to me anyway. Probably the best touchwiz rom out there and the closest I have found to the stock experience.
I know I can do XSL on the tablet but can anyone tell me if CM is available on it yet? Last I checked Lollipop nightlies were available on my S5 and KitKat for the Tab Pro but I can't find anything for the Tab S. It would be disappointing if I couldn't mess around with Lollipop on the tablet quite yet - I really like Samsung hardware.

Maleficent fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 18, 2015

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

galahan posted:

I used sunshine pre lollypop no idea if it would work on 5.0 but if not you can get your money back.

I guess the Android Revolution HD finally got an update so I'll be doing that today or tomorrow. If you get it rooted I recommend that one. Except I haven't tried the new one or you can use sky dragon.

I did have sky dragon on here briefly but the firmware I had was out of date and it had broken WiFi and other issues so I was waiting for the new Android Revolution HD.

Not that anyone probably cares, but concerning free T Mobile unradio Rhapsody, ART seems to break it really hard ( infinite boot loop) just so you know.

Posted from my HTC One m8 pre lollipop rooted phone on the awful app.
Edit: whoops here's a link if you get that far. http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-m8#romList

Disregard some of the above, sorry.

Okay Rhapsody works fine I guess now I guess. Sunshine wasn't working for me, it said they are working on it.

I converted back to stock, then android revolution hd. My boot loader is easy because I have unlocked/developer.

Skydragon is Google edition, and sorry I can't help more that's all I know, it might help someone else.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to revert a Nexus 7 2012 (Wi-Fi) to 4.4 but the bootloader in the official images is apparently broken and cannot be flashed. Does anyone have a known-good link to a working bootloader? There are some links on XDA but they're random Google Doc links and stuff that I don't trust.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

The 4.4.0 image has a valid bootloader that's compatible with everything through at least 5.0.2. Why it got corrupted in later images I have no clue.

On the other hand, if you got 5.0.2 on there you already have a valid bootloader, unless you changed the bootloader (which no custom ROM or recovery should actually touch on that tablet).

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sir Unimaginative posted:

The 4.4.0 image has a valid bootloader that's compatible with everything through at least 5.0.2. Why it got corrupted in later images I have no clue.

On the other hand, if you got 5.0.2 on there you already have a valid bootloader, unless you changed the bootloader (which no custom ROM or recovery should actually touch on that tablet).
Oh, derp, it's just a minimum version check, of course. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
I'm looking to get a new rom for my Galaxy S2 i9100, I've been using cyanogenmod but it started acting up a while ago. Stability issues, losing network connection for no reason, randomly generating thousands of log files that instantly fill up the internal memory and have to be cleaned out by command line, random shutdowns, losing entire chunks of battery power, etc. Part of the problem is probably my phone, it's getting to be a few years old now and has had a few rough encounters with the floor but I can't afford to get a new one yet.

I installed SlimKat two days ago and it seemed really good for the first few hours, but quickly turned out to be even worse. About 50% of the time either individual apps will freeze permanently and require several reboots to start working again, or the whole launcher will become unresponsive.

I don't really have much choice but to keep looking for something that will at least let me use the drat thing, so I was hoping I could get some recommendations for a good, lightweight rom. I just need something stable that's not too much of a strain on the battery and processor. And yes, I realize it's probably going to be a gamble either way considering the state my phone is in.