Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
reminder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

elon musk dedicates $10 billion to internet for mars

a much better goal than feeding the poor imo

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
shanley threw a hissy fit on twitter because a reporter dared to interview her friends and coworkers for coverage lmao

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Chris Knight posted:

shanley threw a hissy fit on twitter because a reporter dared to interview her friends and coworkers for coverage lmao

shanley kane is cool and good

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Condiv posted:

elon musk dedicates $10 billion to internet for mars

a much better goal than feeding the poor imo

nasa is way ahead of him

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

compuserved posted:

shanley kane is cool and good

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Chris Knight posted:

Yeah, I like shanley, and unironically bought a subscription to support her magazine, but she throws a hissy fit if someone dare not fall in line exactly how she wants them to. She threw a fit yesterday when the valleywag guy mentioned her and tried to claim she broke the story that Linus Torvalds is an unrepentant rear end in a top hat.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
so like, she claimed she wrote an article about linus back in 1994, or she claims no one knew until now?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Dirk Pitt posted:

Yeah, I like shanley, and unironically bought a subscription to support her magazine, but she throws a hissy fit if someone dare not fall in line exactly how she wants them to. She threw a fit yesterday when the valleywag guy mentioned her and tried to claim she broke the story that Linus Torvalds is an unrepentant rear end in a top hat.

I only give people money ironically

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
so shanley read a tweet about linus saying something linus-y and got on her soapbox about it, this counts as "breaking a story" now?

I had to actually Google what he said because there was no context to her tweet other than Linus is a dick, turns out he didn't really say anything terribly controversial

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah but now lovely people are threatening to swat her family

shanely doesn't seem like a nice person but I probably wouldn't be if I had to go through what she has

I appreciate her commitment to what she does though

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

i think she raises good points pretty often and I don't begrudge her anger or style

i just happen to disagree with her point about linus

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

nerds are the worst

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

theflyingexecutive posted:

nerds are the worst

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

what did she actually say about Linus tho?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

uncurable mlady posted:

i think she raises good points pretty often and I don't begrudge her anger or style

i just happen to disagree with her point about linus

i don't even disagree with her point about linus

the lkml is a "safe space" for assholes. linus gets the kind of behavior he complains about because he fosters a culture of nastiness and unaccountability. his famous rants are responses to the behavior he himself promotes

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

theflyingexecutive posted:

what did she actually say about Linus tho?

a ton of really snippy tweets

in reverse order, because i am too lazy to do a bunch of text editing

edit: just remembered the 'tac' utility exists on linux. now in chronological order

https://twitter.com/shanley posted:

The Linux community is loving cowards and assholes. You have coddled this motherfucker for years with no accountability.

Again, I don't give a gently caress about his technical contributions. Sometimes the creator of a thing becomes the thing rotting it from the inside.

And when that happens you kick the creator the gently caress out. Which Linux needs to do. Take responsibility for your community.

Linux: You don't need Linus Torvalds. Kick him the gently caress out.

How many of our open source cultures rot completely from abuse and dysfunction because hero-worshipping is more important than community?

Linus Torvalds is a loving abusive piece of poo poo, has been for YEARS. when will Linux community grow a loving spine

Bet your rear end that torvalds has PERSONALLY chased out dozens of people who coulda been y'alls next leader........

When you look at your leader and he's a smug as gently caress white dude telling everyone in your project to go get hosed and deal with his abuse

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 17, 2015

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

agreed, no whites or men should be in charge of anything

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a ton of really snippy tweets

in reverse order, because i am too lazy to do a bunch of text editing

edit: just remembered the 'tac' utility exists on linux. now in chronological order

lol, definitely worth doxxing and threats

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

carry on then posted:

this but unironically

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

carry on then posted:

mega agreedo

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
where's the write up on why Linus sucks
I have used git so I know that part

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

fleshweasel posted:

Dude's just a rude Finn and everyone has known this for the past 20+ years

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

shanley is basically the only tech commentator who makes any sense. maybe anil dash too

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

fleshweasel posted:

to start with there's The Tanenbaum-Torvalds Debate where he argued against common wisdom in OS design with the author of one of the most prominent textbooks in the field

there's how Linux implemented threads for many years (via loving fork!)

these are the things that make him an idiot who is nowhere near as skilled as many of his followers think he is

and then there's the way he treats people on mailing lists when they have questions or ideas or disagree with him, which is the part that makes him an rear end in a top hat

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

qirex posted:

do not post justine tunney like ever

she's equally horrible if she really means it or is just trolling

i know i'm super late on this emptyquote but it bears repeating

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

mine has an red led for a power light

an arr ee dee ell ee dee

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

uncurable mlady posted:

I think she raises a lot of good points and I enjoy Model View Culture and think it's important work

her anger and style go a long way towards alienating current & potential allies and people who could be persuaded to her point of view, when she uses them to attack those very people as insufficiently revolutionary. it's the sort of thing that has held back many movements, and winds up doing the counter-revolutionaries' work for them.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i've only heard of tunney in the periphery for the most part haven't given a poo poo

quote:

In 2014, Tunney petitioned the US government on We the People to hold a referendum[16] asking for support to retire all government employees with full pensions, transfer administrative authority to the technology industry, and appoint Google CEO, Eric Schmidt as CEO of America.[17] Tunney works as a software engineer at Google. The petition expired because it failed to meet We The People's signature threshold.[18]

lol is she for real or an elaborate troll?

quote:

Mr Schmidt, the executive chairman of Google, would lead a government "more prepared for change" staffed by the US technology industry, according to Ms Tunney.
"It's because I'm a Googler, I'm familiar with Eric Schmidt being very good at running a successful organisation. He was responsible for building Google, which is a benevolent corporation that's making the world a better place," she told the Telegraph.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

eschaton posted:

I think she raises a lot of good points and I enjoy Model View Culture and think it's important work

her anger and style go a long way towards alienating current & potential allies and people who could be persuaded to her point of view, when she uses them to attack those very people as insufficiently revolutionary. it's the sort of thing that has held back many movements, and winds up doing the counter-revolutionaries' work for them.

things would surely improve if the disadvantaged were more polite

(i too find her style alienating at times but thats my problem, not hers)

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

lol is she for real or an elaborate troll?

we are who we pretend to be

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

i'm pretty sure tunney is a highly elaborate troll

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

anyone who proudly hoists the banner of "toxic twitter" fails the rear end in a top hat/asset/agent test with flying colors

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

fleshweasel posted:

i mean there's this terrible valleywag article

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
jfc dan lyons just completely took the joy out of valleywag. there used to be a sense of mirth, but now it's just "dan lyons is really trying to convince you he's mad about a tech thing".

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

man first rms gets a glowing defense from weev and now who else is coming to the rescue of linus torvalds than justine loving tunney

i don't care who you are or what you've done, nobody deserves that poo poo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

uncurable mlady posted:

sufficiently advanced trolling is indistinguishable from being a fascist shitstain

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

eschaton posted:

this post sums it up well. she comes across as massively whiny and it's a huge detriment to whatever point she's trying to make

never mind that the only person in all of tech journalism who matters is joanna stern so why anyone else tries is beyond me

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

uncurable mlady posted:

no, shes really that dumb m8

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
UPDATE: ModelViewCulture CEO Shanley Kane has asked me to describe her not as a "diversity advocate" or "diversity activist" and to instead identify her as the co-founder and CEO of a media company that is better than the one I work for. According to its website, ModelViewCulture is "an independent media platform focused on the intersection of technology, culture and diversity." So: nothing to do with advocating for diversity then. I regret the error, and have updated the post to reflect that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i drink a gently caress ton of diet soda and diet coke tastes nothing like regular coke. it's not really that close to pepsi either. it has its own taste, which is p good, but not coke taste. coke zero is as close to regular coke as a diet soda is going to get (and it rules)

in college the only diet soda they had at the convenience store across from my dorm was diet pepsi. i drank so much of it that i can't stand it anymore. strangely this has not happened with the diet coke variants (and i don't know what i'll do if it ever does)

edit: also coke zero is not just rebranded diet coke for dudes, you're thinking of dr pepper ten. the tastes are completely different. i would bet $1000 that i can distinguish diet coke from coke zero in a double blind test

I too am a master of sodas

• Locked thread