Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Control Volume posted:

Could you post a couple pictures when it's disconnected, both in map view and what the satellite actually looks like? I tested this myself and it doesn't seem to be an issue with undocking and splitting a craft, at least, so I'm stumped given the info you've posted.

Sure, lemme re-launch and I'll do some snap shots of it in flight.

e; Hows this? http://imgur.com/a/PFCid#5

It seems fine when I'm in LoS of KSC but I don't have a connection to the manned craft deploying it and setting it for its final prep. In LoS, I have delay and all that but its just no connection once I leave that LoS wedge. Directional at KSC, Omni activated on both craft. I dunno!

Synnr fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Yesterday when I had time I was working on sending a ship to Laythe.
the ship ended up in a really far out, really inclined orbit with out a huge amount of dV to spare. Unfortunately due to a massive brain fart and the late hour I didn't think of aerobraking off Jool. What I did do was work my way in, doing small burns to align with the moons and use them to siphon off some velocity. The orbit was still highly elliptial and inclined, but all I needed was a Laythe intercept and I could aerobrake.

It took something like five game years but the intercept trajectory appeared and the altitude was set for aerobraking. I warped. I then hit warp up instead of down :negative:

The ship, with it's nine kerbonauts and two docked landers was flung out of Jool SOI into a massively ecentric Kerbol orbit. Pe being around Moho and Ap being... uh... at least another Kerbol system out from Eeloo.

it was about 1:30AM at this point. I got the shits, reverted to the VAB and closed it.

This morning I installed Kerbal Alarm Clock.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

Synnr posted:

Sure, lemme re-launch and I'll do some snap shots of it in flight.

e; Hows this? http://imgur.com/a/PFCid#5

It seems fine when I'm in LoS of KSC but I don't have a connection to the manned craft deploying it and setting it for its final prep. In LoS, I have delay and all that but its just no connection once I leave that LoS wedge. Directional at KSC, Omni activated on both craft. I dunno!

Does your ship have a connection to KSC? I think RemoteTech only allows probes to work when they are connected to KSC. Just being in range of a manned ship is not enough (but the ship can act as a relay).

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
Is there something that would cause the game to have 5fps on the main menu, but perform flawlessly otherwise? Moving every setting to low doesn't change it. It's not a huge issue, just annoying. I'm running Linux x64 with an ATI card so I'm mostly just happy the game works so well at all.

Using DDSLoader and Active Texture Management as well.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

FuSchnick posted:

Does your ship have a connection to KSC? I think RemoteTech only allows probes to work when they are connected to KSC. Just being in range of a manned ship is not enough (but the ship can act as a relay).

Oh I thought crewed ships could talk to satellites. Maybe I'm just an idiot then! Say I lobbed up like 4 satellites with 4 dishes each, 2 of each dish to neighbors and 1 dish to KSC, would I be able to properly control any of them at a given time?

Krittick posted:

Is there something that would cause the game to have 5fps on the main menu, but perform flawlessly otherwise? Moving every setting to low doesn't change it. It's not a huge issue, just annoying. I'm running Linux x64 with an ATI card so I'm mostly just happy the game works so well at all.

Using DDSLoader and Active Texture Management as well.

I have a similar issue on the overview of KSC and the science menu, I just try not to spend much time there when I'm not needing it because I dunno whats up.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Synnr posted:

Oh I thought crewed ships could talk to satellites. Maybe I'm just an idiot then! Say I lobbed up like 4 satellites with 4 dishes each, 2 of each dish to neighbors and 1 dish to KSC, would I be able to properly control any of them at a given time?

I have a similar issue on the overview of KSC and the science menu, I just try not to spend much time there when I'm not needing it because I dunno whats up.

Crewed ships can talk to satellites if they have enough crew, by default I think it's three.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

Crewed ships can talk to satellites if they have enough crew, by default I think it's three.

Huh, the ship I was using had three crew. I was just trying to get them some flight experience/ribbons but still, three dudes. One pilot, one engineer, one scientist if it matters?

e; Going through the remotetech thing, I found what maybe was confusing me. It says:

Tutorial posted:

Local communication
If your satellite has an omnidirectional antenna on board, it will be able to communicate freely with other ships within a few thousand kilometers, even if they are outside the original purpose of the network. Depending on the range of your omni antenna and the placement of the satellite(s), an omni may serve as your primary antenna, or it may simply be there for added flexibility.

It doesn't clarify whether you can control it that way, just communicate so..yeah.

Synnr fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 18, 2015

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Where do I get the non-lovely-looking parts for EPL? I want to build an orbital shipyard but gently caress me EPL is ugly

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Mister Bates posted:

I think it might be six. And I think they need to have the RC somethingorother probe core fitted to the ship. It's the 2.5 coin shaped one. It has a little brother but I don't know if it has the same functionality. If you got it right the ship will have a red dot in the map like KSC does. This is what I was doing last night with my failed Laythe mission. Setting up RemoteTech base stations around the system.

Inacio posted:

Where do I get the non-lovely-looking parts for EPL? I want to build an orbital shipyard but gently caress me EPL is ugly

USI Kolonization Systems (MKS/OKS)

e: My 'c' key seems to be failing.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 18, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

General_Failure posted:

e: My 'c' key seems to be failing.

Then boy are you playing the right game.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Synnr posted:

A crewed ship can control probes if it has the 2.5m stackable probe core* and at least 6 crew.

*Any pod that has the Command Station module works. Of the stock pods/cores only the RC-L01 has it, but some modules from other part packs get it as well.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 18, 2015

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Look I know ultimately the answer to my following question is "don't bother, they are not worth the trouble" - but how the gently caress does one get B9 VTOLs to work?

I feel like it should all actually work quite well if MechJeb or somesuch could just adjust the thrust output of each jet to balance it out. I got TAC fuel balancer for now but it still feels like trying to juggle rockets on a unicycle on top of the head of a pin. (This is all on FAR btw if it makes a difference)

Also are all the tweak options and control setups (for B9 specifically) actually documented anywhere,anywhere? Just anywhere at all? The steering options I can roughly make sense of but there seems to be an overall way they are all meant to be used and I'm not sure I'm doing it right. Like, Firespitter's parts are similarly complex but they actually have a manual!

Aaand finally, I could have sworn the B9 VTOL used to be an air-breathing jet (it is currently a LOX rocket). Am I not remember right or is it a separate unlock or what?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mr. Wynand posted:

Look I know ultimately the answer to my following question is "don't bother, they are not worth the trouble" - but how the gently caress does one get B9 VTOLs to work?
The B9 modules don't provide any thrust leveling on their own, you either need a perfectly balanced craft or a thrust leveling mod like Davon Throttle Control

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Collateral Damage posted:

The B9 modules don't provide any thrust leveling on their own, you either need a perfectly balanced craft or a thrust leveling mod like Davon Throttle Control

That looks like it just might do it actually. My flight ui is starting to look ridiculous but gently caress it - rocket science.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Checkout cupcake landers on YouTube if you want to see some perfectly balanced vtols too. He has even done a tutorial or two for memory.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Splode posted:

Checkout cupcake landers on YouTube if you want to see some perfectly balanced vtols too. He has even done a tutorial or two for memory.

I checked this dude out on a whim and found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdqdOLI1RTE

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Most of his videos are like that, very impressive stuff.

The voiced ones are cringy though, as he has a "WISE FWOM YOUR GWAVE" lisp

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
One tip when making a VTOL craft is to put a docking port or probe core on top, and control it from there (so that "up" relative to the ground is the same direction as "up" relative to the vessel).

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Sucks how there's not a single life support mod that works on .90 :C
Guess I'll play Kerbal Drone Program in the meantime.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Scott Manley did a video on Better Than Starting Manned and I finally understand every complaint about FlowerChild that wasn't related to evil bees or BDSM wolves. He really wants you to play the game how he thinks it SHOULD be played, doesn't he? I get that career mode is specifically not sandbox mode but there's at least some sand in there. The only sand here is in FlowerChild's metaphorical vagina.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
For someone called flowerchild, he's an angry angry thing.

Also just had a brilliant idea for a mod, how possible would this be? It's mainly meant to mitigate long rear end burns.

make node>start firing>plugin calculates for say, a minute if it's stable, then checks if you lose sight of the sun in the case it's not stable if you're not stable without solar power>if everything is green, teleport forward in time to the point where you'd be when the node is complete.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Nalesh posted:

I asked the same thing, top of the previous page: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3emtoeyky6c3w8v/AAAj-5dHf8POF8QI6bEOSSAla?dl=0

Been playing most of the day. Should have increased the science returns but maybe some unmanned long distance probes will get me the science I need. Also wish there was more ingame description to what some things do instead of having to google, but I guess that's mostly a complaint with mods.

Really loving contracts, but I only accept ones I know I will keep since otherwise I would be tempted to just junk them when done. Had to cheat to get a few done - launched commsats with not enough battery to get through kerbin's shadow and hosed if I'm gonna redo all that. Edited my save to have more battery and all's good. It'd be nice if you could set the sats on rails so they stay in matching orbits instead of eventually getting out of sync.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
You can edit your save for matching orbits, but I just sling dozens of craft into orbit (comsats, stations, scansats, telescopes) and put an omni on everything. I have 24/7 coverage from the sheer volume of craft floating around kerbin now. The only weak point in my network is my long-range relay, as it only has 4 dishes to talk to all my probes. Might upgrade it to something more impressive.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
So apparently, Karbonite converters only work if they're node-attached to an output tank (LFO in my case), not if they're surface-attached. Of course, once you get the fuel into the output tank you can transfer it anywhere you like, even tanks the converter was unable to use directly. Guess that'll teach me to test things on the pad before shipping it off to Minmus...

So this converter doesn't work at all (attached on top of a jumbo-sized LFO tank):

While this one works fine and can refuel the entire ship (small LFO-tank docked on top of it):

Is there any way to change that by editing the configuration files or something? I don't see why surface-attached converters can't work, especially when you can transfer fuel anywhere you like on the vessel.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

CollisionFX got updated! Squad, please buy this mod!

http://imgur.com/a/dT4Eg

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/101496-0-90-Collision-FX-v2-2-%282015-01-14%29

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I hope you packed lots of snacks in that command pod, little guy.
Let me know what's out there, okay?

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

Apoffys posted:

So apparently, Karbonite converters only work if they're node-attached to an output tank (LFO in my case), not if they're surface-attached. Of course, once you get the fuel into the output tank you can transfer it anywhere you like, even tanks the converter was unable to use directly. Guess that'll teach me to test things on the pad before shipping it off to Minmus...

So this converter doesn't work at all (attached on top of a jumbo-sized LFO tank):

While this one works fine and can refuel the entire ship (small LFO-tank docked on top of it):

Is there any way to change that by editing the configuration files or something? I don't see why surface-attached converters can't work, especially when you can transfer fuel anywhere you like on the vessel.

Because it's how fuel flow works in KSP. Regolith (the engine behind Karbonite) follows the stock fuel flow rules. Same way an engine can't use a radially attached fuel tank without a pipe. Same solution, just add a fuel line and Bob's your uncle.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Ok, thanks. The Honeybadger parts look great by the way, thanks for making them!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I just flubbed three launches of the same mission. First attempt had a problem with the staging and the payload engines fired prematurely. Second attempt turned out to have insufficient engine power on the final stage to begin with. Third attempt I screwed up by placing the fairing strut above the decoupler. 300k down the drain. All three payloads burrowed into Kerbin's north pole.
oy.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Nalesh posted:

TAC-LS works with it, it just pops up a notice saying you're on the wrong version. I'm using it with no problems at all.

It's not officially supported on the .90 but it works.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Am I missing something with the karbonite atmospheric scoop or does it just suck?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

massive spider posted:

Am I missing something with the karbonite atmospheric scoop or does it just suck?

Wouldn't be much of an atmospheric scoop if it didn't suck, now would it? :downsrim:

Dekko
May 23, 2007

massive spider posted:

Are you talking about the actual in-atmosphere scoop, or the one you can use in space? I've only used the latter but it does take absolutely forever to fill a few tanks (which is fair enough considering its a way of getting endless, free fuel without the hassle of launching/landing rockets).

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

RoverDude posted:

Because it's how fuel flow works in KSP. Regolith (the engine behind Karbonite) follows the stock fuel flow rules. Same way an engine can't use a radially attached fuel tank without a pipe. Same solution, just add a fuel line and Bob's your uncle.
There's an app mod for that.

CrossFeedEnabler

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I finally managed to make a decent all in one mobile rocket factory. It wasn't easy finding a place on the Mun with ore and karbonite in the same spot. Now I need a mod that lets me breed Kerbals in space.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Freudian posted:

Scott Manley did a video on Better Than Starting Manned and I finally understand every complaint about FlowerChild that wasn't related to evil bees or BDSM wolves. He really wants you to play the game how he thinks it SHOULD be played, doesn't he? I get that career mode is specifically not sandbox mode but there's at least some sand in there. The only sand here is in FlowerChild's metaphorical vagina.

That's exactly my own experience with this mod. I constantly had the feeling that I've just not been given the tools to complete the job; it's tuned tightly enough that there's really only one path you can take to eke out enough science to get additional parts. And even that doesn't help much. Elementary components like radial decouplers or solar panels are far, far down in the tech tree. I gave up on it after trying to fit 40-50 heavy batteries on my munprobe. Don't understand the reasoning behind it either. The first real life spacecraft to use solar panels was launched in 1958.

It's a shame, cause I really like the notion of a slightly more realistic progression.

Philonius fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 18, 2015

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I have KES but while I have the parts I don't seem to actually get the info boxes. Any suggestions for a fix, I'm pretty sure I just dumped everything into gamedata as usual...

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

TomR posted:

I finally managed to make a decent all in one mobile rocket factory. It wasn't easy finding a place on the Mun with ore and karbonite in the same spot. Now I need a mod that lets me breed Kerbals in space.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/106103-0-90-Kolonists-v1-0-1-Jan05

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Anyone have a recommendation for a mod/configuration that just adds pretty starfield skyboxes? I don't want any of the simple planet updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

M_Gargantua posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a mod/configuration that just adds pretty starfield skyboxes? I don't want any of the simple planet updates.

Texture Replacer with any of the skyboxes listed in that post. I personally use Rareden's 8k skybox, because it's from the real-world sky and I enjoy being able to identify constellations as I fly.