Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Strawman posted:

Who cares, it wasn't needed in 1990 and now it exists so where is problem?

You might want to brush up on your history

You just said that the Internet is an incredibly useful tool. Without the government, basic research funding would practically vanish. Without basic research, we wouldn't have the Internet or modern medicine or countless other extremely useful technological breakthroughs. If you want to practically halt technological progress, that's fine, but you should at least acknowledge that the end of all governments would bring scientific progress to a slow crawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Nintendo Kid posted:

It was needed in 1990 and it was also in use in 1990. As a matter of fact it was also needed and in existence in 1970 and 1980.

In Lithuania in 1990? Bullshit. Local gangs handle everything. I really believe the state is obsolete. The only reason it is existing is because it has guns.

QuarkJets posted:

You might want to brush up on your history

You just said that the Internet is an incredibly useful tool. Without the government, basic research funding would practically vanish. Without basic research, we wouldn't have the Internet or modern medicine or countless other extremely useful technological breakthroughs. If you want to practically halt technological progress, that's fine, but you should at least acknowledge that the end of all governments would bring scientific progress to a slow crawl.

Maybe if nanny state goes, we forget wheels and fire too, if Al Gore is not there to make them for us? :xd: All state does is take money and freedom to give to banker elites.

Strawman fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 17, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Strawman posted:

In Lithuania in 1990? Bullshit. Local gangs handle everything.

I am sure there weren't any problems.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Strawman posted:

In Lithuania in 1990? Bullshit. Local gangs handle everything. I really believe the state is obsolete. The only reason it is existing is because it has guns.

Maybe if nanny state goes, we forget wheels and fire too, if Al Gore is not there to make them for us? :xd:

The cumulative knowledge of science is a result of the past 400 years and despite how much both extremes of theories on authority would like to erase knowledge from history it isn't possible short of a world ending event.

While your supposition of Lithuania in times past is a fresher perspective, if that was sustainable, why didn't it stay that way?

Caros
May 14, 2008

asdf32 posted:

Heh come on VitalSigns, this thread was started to argue with people who weren't here.

Actually, as the person who started this thread I can tell you that I started it specifically to have a place where libertarians can come and make their arguments without getting banned outright. Specifically I wrote it after Xylo probated a libertarian for making GBS threads up the USPol thread, though sadly that one got himself banned by opening an "Argue with me" thread after being told not to. You'll note that its actually been successful as Jrodefeld hasn't been banned for all his posting in this thread, unlike every other time he came to the forums, posted a "Argue with me a whole bunch" thread and then disappeared.

But don't let facts stop you. :)

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

SedanChair posted:

I am sure there weren't any problems.

It was better than under Soviets, that for sure ;)

RuanGacho posted:

The cumulative knowledge of science is a result of the past 400 years and despite how much both extremes of theories on authority would like to erase knowledge from history it isn't possible short of a world ending event.

While your supposition of Lithuania in times past is a fresher perspective, if that was sustainable, why didn't it stay that way?

Banksters sent men with guns, like they always do when freedom from their debt slavery breaks out :( A collapse of the government and banks means virtually everyone is debt free and no longer enslave by the zionist-made debt-based economy.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Strawman posted:

zionist-made debt-based economy.

Tell me more about the secret Lizard-Jew warlock cabal that runs the banks. :allears:

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Strawman posted:

But why would you want a fascist leader in charge? Anarcho-Syndicalism is a far more reasonable system. Anyone who says total anarchy is a joke has no loving clue! I lived in total anarchy, when in 1990 soviets were driven of from Lithuania there was total anarchy for about 2-3 years, police had no resources, government was a bunch of idealists with no idea wtf to do, no taxes no law in practice. local "tough guy" would pop up, he could not be super cruel or hosed up as when intellect level of people is pretty high (unlike lets say Somalia or any other dumb country which always pops up as example why anarchy is poo poo, they would be exact same poo poo anarchy or not...) people expect certain living standards and will get mad if poo poo goes down, as local mob could not muster army like governments do they were always in check. it was very safe and taxes were at least 10 times lower, as very efficient 5-10 mobster guys ran whole town and would not take half your money like government does. back in those days there was no internet so organizing big scale stuff was hard, but now with internet, Bitcoin etc., why you would ever need government? what government does what could not be done by just people organizing poo poo on internet?

Tell us more about the glorious Lithuanian master race and their superiority over Somalians :allears:

Strawman posted:

As opposed to the notoriously gentle eastern European mafia organizations that arose during the collapse of the USSR.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Strawman posted:

Maybe if nanny state goes, we forget wheels and fire too, if Al Gore is not there to make them for us? :xd: All state does is take money and freedom to give to banker elites.

I'm going to feel real dumb for asking, but Strawman a literal strawman gimmick?

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Space Gopher posted:

As opposed to the notoriously gentle eastern European mafia organizations that arose during the collapse of the USSR.

Mafia has no monopoly on force because it has to work on a local level with local people. They don't interfere with private matters that don't concern them in order to 'protect and sever' like police. In a country that claims freedom, I should be free to do anything I want that does not interfere with the rights of another. Which, I think means I could talk about killing someone, buy a gun and barrel, even drive to the person's house with gun and barrel, and I have still not interfered with the rights of another person, therefore no crime should have been committed. The moment I threaten the person, so that they can hear/witness me, there by affecting their rights, whether using the gun or not, I have committed a crime. But if I even pulled my car up to their street/road, got out, and walked around, before getting back in and driving off, I do not see how any reasonable entity could claim I had committed any crime against another. Certainly I had denied no other being any of their rights. Which is why I would agree that a conspiracy charge, is a charge that proves you never actually committed a real crime, only one that has been imagined possible in the mind of someone else. It is as close to thought crime as we can get, without psychics or behavior prediction algorithms in play. I do not argue that the police would have to wait until Charlie is dead, but they should have to wait until Charlie actually has a gun to him, before making an arrest and charging for a crime. The fact that they try and create a fictitious crime before that point, is laziness, or at least intellectual laziness. These are the issues I have with at least my Nation and possibly others.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Strawman posted:

It was better than under Soviets, that for sure ;)

Plus, this graph makes a sweet ramp you can do a kickflip off of:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Strawman posted:

Mafia has no monopoly on force because it has to work on a local level with local people. They don't interfere with private matters that don't concern them in order to 'protect and sever' like police. In a country that claims freedom, I should be free to do anything I want that does not interfere with the rights of another. Which, I think means I could talk about killing someone, buy a gun and barrel, even drive to the person's house with gun and barrel, and I have still not interfered with the rights of another person, therefore no crime should have been committed. The moment I threaten the person, so that they can hear/witness me, there by affecting their rights, whether using the gun or not, I have committed a crime. But if I even pulled my car up to their street/road, got out, and walked around, before getting back in and driving off, I do not see how any reasonable entity could claim I had committed any crime against another. Certainly I had denied no other being any of their rights. Which is why I would agree that a conspiracy charge, is a charge that proves you never actually committed a real crime, only one that has been imagined possible in the mind of someone else. It is as close to thought crime as we can get, without psychics or behavior prediction algorithms in play. I do not argue that the police would have to wait until Charlie is dead, but they should have to wait until Charlie actually has a gun to him, before making an arrest and charging for a crime. The fact that they try and create a fictitious crime before that point, is laziness, or at least intellectual laziness. These are the issues I have with at least my Nation and possibly others.

I too think that we should only wait until after someone is murdered or attempted to be murdered before we even consider doing something about it, even in cases where someone is actively saying "I am going to go murder steve with this gun that I bought for the express purpose of killing Steve."

I mean really, what is attempted murder right? Do they give a nobel prize for 'attempted' chemistry?

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Who What Now posted:

Tell me more about the secret Lizard-Jew warlock cabal that runs the banks. :allears:

When you get the attention of the Rothschilds and their International Money Changer Banker's Cartel, you have a battle on your hands. Hitler wasn't a good guy, but he took Germany from being possibly the poorest of industrial nations - a nation that had "lost face" before the world when they lost WWI - to being one of the most powerful in the world. And he did it in just 6 years by kicking the Jews' banking system out. It took the banking system a long time to recover from the wound that Hitler gave them.
If Hitler had been a good guy, if he had not been a bit crazy, killed a whole bunch of innocent people for nothing, he might have become famous and conquered the banking system for real. Of course, we wouldn't have Bitcoin then, because we wouldn't need it. As it is, the banking system used the United States and Russia to conquer Hitler before he could destroy them. After all, you hear about the holocaust on a regular basis. But you seldom hear about the fact that Stalin might have murdered as many as 10 times more in Russia and surrounding nations than Hitler did. And look at the 55 million of its own citizens the U.S. has killed through abortions! Luckily, we have been presented with a new chance to take down the bankers through the (non-statist) technological revolution of Bitcoin. Think of bitcoin as a virus, a virus that attacks the ills of society, our political ills, the ills brought on by the State. If you protect bitcoin from the State, if you shield in some way the State from accessing bitcoin, then you prolong the agony. Injecting bitcoin directly into the State, taking the weapon, raising it high and striking sure and fast, and then again, and again, and again ... infecting the host of the State with the virus, now. This is the the battle won. The ultimate test of bitcoin is to survive the strongest onslaught the State can mount, so why wait until the State grows more clever, why wait until the State hatches more and more plans, and prepares at a level which forestalls the inevitable and causes grief for some? The more politicians that accept campaign donations in bitcoin, the more infected the top echelons of the State hierarchy becomes. What more beautiful way to infect the State than by appealing to their avarice? The avarice, the greedy claw, grabbing and scooping, blinded by the shiny coins. The crow sees the shiny coin on the street, he swoops down but his beak is such that he cannot easily grasp the coin, so he stays in the street wrestling with it, his greed for it growing, but "the coin" resists the crow and it cries, it screeches it screams ... and then the car rushes over it, and it's over. This will happen everywhere over the next 5-8 years.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Bit coins? Really?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Strawman posted:

Hitler wasn't a good guy, but

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

Bit coins? Really?

In an alien visitation scenario, Bitcoin will be what redeems us as a species. Free from grasping hands of elite, controlled by the people for people ( like the US constitution says) Whats not to like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md4cPHFBeiU

Strawman fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 17, 2015

Caros
May 14, 2008

Strawman posted:

When you get the attention of the Rothschilds and their International Money Changer Banker's Cartel, you have a battle on your hands. Hitler wasn't a good guy, but he took Germany from being possibly the poorest of industrial nations - a nation that had "lost face" before the world when they lost WWI - to being one of the most powerful in the world. And he did it in just 6 years by kicking the Jews' banking system out. It took the banking system a long time to recover from the wound that Hitler gave them.
If Hitler had been a good guy, if he had not been a bit crazy, killed a whole bunch of innocent people for nothing, he might have become famous and conquered the banking system for real. Of course, we wouldn't have Bitcoin then, because we wouldn't need it. As it is, the banking system used the United States and Russia to conquer Hitler before he could destroy them. After all, you hear about the holocaust on a regular basis. But you seldom hear about the fact that Stalin might have murdered as many as 10 times more in Russia and surrounding nations than Hitler did. And look at the 55 million of its own citizens the U.S. has killed through abortions! Luckily, we have been presented with a new chance to take down the bankers through the (non-statist) technological revolution of Bitcoin. Think of bitcoin as a virus, a virus that attacks the ills of society, our political ills, the ills brought on by the State. If you protect bitcoin from the State, if you shield in some way the State from accessing bitcoin, then you prolong the agony. Injecting bitcoin directly into the State, taking the weapon, raising it high and striking sure and fast, and then again, and again, and again ... infecting the host of the State with the virus, now. This is the the battle won. The ultimate test of bitcoin is to survive the strongest onslaught the State can mount, so why wait until the State grows more clever, why wait until the State hatches more and more plans, and prepares at a level which forestalls the inevitable and causes grief for some? The more politicians that accept campaign donations in bitcoin, the more infected the top echelons of the State hierarchy becomes. What more beautiful way to infect the State than by appealing to their avarice? The avarice, the greedy claw, grabbing and scooping, blinded by the shiny coins. The crow sees the shiny coin on the street, he swoops down but his beak is such that he cannot easily grasp the coin, so he stays in the street wrestling with it, his greed for it growing, but "the coin" resists the crow and it cries, it screeches it screams ... and then the car rushes over it, and it's over. This will happen everywhere over the next 5-8 years.

Anyone else having comprehension problems with this? My eyes keep sliding past it like some sort of electronic, attention deflecting teflon.

Oh, wait. I know I've seen this before. Yeah, this is sourced from bitcointalk and was referenced in the bitcoin thread. Nice try Strawman, but I'm not falling for your plagiarized trolling. Come back when you've got original material.

Edit: Actually, its multiple different bitcoin arguments posted together in some reality offending hybrid argument.

Caros fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 17, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Literally a "Hitler Did Nothing Wrong". I never thought I'd see the day when I'd see it in person.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

He's joking and pretending to be a famous bitcoin persona. :ssh:

At least I think the crazy bitcoin mansion guy was lithuanian. He was from one of the Baltic States at any rate.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
lol nice work Strawman.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

Bit coins? Really?

Interesting that this was what made it implausible for you, rather than the Hitler stuff.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I could kind of tell he was gimmick-posting (alternatively, hacked) since just up the page from where he started he was making fun of wateroverfire for calling SedanChair creepy.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 17, 2015

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I could kind of tell he was gimmick-posting (alternatively, hacked) since just up the page from where he started he was making fun of wateroverfire for calling SedanChair creepy.

The fact that he started dropping articles from his writing after claiming to be from Lithuania is what did it for me.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Why are libertarians often also conspiracy theorists?

Who What Now posted:

Literally a "Hitler Did Nothing Wrong". I never thought I'd see the day when I'd see it in person.

If you follow the Bitcoin thread you're going to see a lot more of that, basically whenever someone quotes reddit

Caros
May 14, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

If you follow the Bitcoin thread you're going to see a lot more of that, basically whenever someone quotes reddit

They appeal to the same groups. Libertarians and conspiracy theorists both appeal to people who want to know how the world 'really' works. They have an appeal of secret or exclusive knowledge, along with a gently caress the man strain that makes them appeal to people who don't feel in control of their lives.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Strawman posted:

Interesting that this was what made it implausible for you, rather than the Hitler stuff.

When skimming Walls of Text the term Bitcoin promises more fun than Hitler.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

QuarkJets posted:

That's why I don't follow the Bitcoin thread.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Strawman posted:

Uh, you're really bringing up Lithuania in 1990, still not free from russian shitlordness or equipped with normal infrastructure yet as an example of what's needed? Hillarious.

You know it's a funny thing, my grandfather and grandmother spent the 90s and early 2000s providing donated internet-and-LAN-capable computers to Lithuanian schools because they needed it so badly. They named a high school outside either Kaunas or Vilnius after my grandfather. :smugdog:

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Bitcoin is a legit preoccupation of libertarians, as is the idea of currency competition. Ron Paul is notably, of course, obsessed with this - as he is with the idea of the return to the gold standard.

To say that this shows fundamental understanding of the basics of economics is an amazing understatement.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Disinterested posted:

Bitcoin is a legit preoccupation of libertarians, as is the idea of currency competition. Ron Paul is notably, of course, obsessed with this - as he is with the idea of the return to the gold standard.

To say that this shows fundamental understanding of the basics of economics is an amazing understatement.

The most amusing thing about Buttcoins is the rampant fraud and financial fuckery that market has had to deal with for the entirety of its existence. So much for the free market doing better than regulations. Nah gently caress it, who cares, let's just embrace the incessant theft, price fixing, and market manipulation, it's totally a good thing.

Then the gold standard. Oh boy. "But gold has inherent value!" Yeah well, so does wood. Why not go on a wood standard? Wood has inherent value. People buy and sell wood all the loving time and it's actually really, really useful. Like you can build houses and poo poo with wood so let's embrace the Wood Dollar! Or how about shirts? Shirts have inherent value. We need to enact a shirt standard immediately!

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
The most hilarious thing about Libertarians who believe in gold buggism is that it's mostly their own favourite economists who disproved the idea most effectively as fundamentally idiotic.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Then the gold standard. Oh boy. "But gold has inherent value!" Yeah well, so does wood. Why not go on a wood standard? Wood has inherent value. People buy and sell wood all the loving time and it's actually really, really useful. Like you can build houses and poo poo with wood so let's embrace the Wood Dollar! Or how about shirts? Shirts have inherent value. We need to enact a shirt standard immediately!

The Incas ran a very economically successful empire on the shirt standard.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Disinterested posted:

The most hilarious thing about Libertarians who believe in gold buggism is that it's mostly their own favourite economists who disproved the idea most effectively as fundamentally idiotic.

I like how they just kind of ignore the mountains of historical evidence that points to the gold standard being pretty freaking stupid but just hand wave it away with "well they were doing it wrong!"

Caros
May 14, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The most amusing thing about Buttcoins is the rampant fraud and financial fuckery that market has had to deal with for the entirety of its existence. So much for the free market doing better than regulations. Nah gently caress it, who cares, let's just embrace the incessant theft, price fixing, and market manipulation, it's totally a good thing.

To be fair, gold was a really good option for a currency during it's run. Gold is pretty much one of the only elements that fills most of the fundamental needs of a currency:

1. Fungible (ie you can make small or large units of it.)

2. Hard to duplicate.

3. Easy to transport (ie if you can't move it, you can't "give" it to someone else as easily.

4. It's durable. ie the 'react' part.

If you're talking elemental materials, there really isn't much better than gold. NPR did a good thing on it a few years back, and basically if you go through the various building blocks of the world, you'll end up using copper, silver, and gold as money more often than not because they fulfill all of the above requirements. The problem with the gold standard people is they fail to realize that modern paper and electronic currency also fulfils those requirements and does so in a much more effective way. We have grown past needing hunks of gold to represent stores of value, and trying ourselves to it for histories sake is a stupid move.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Caros posted:

To be fair, gold was a really good option for a currency during it's run. Gold is pretty much one of the only elements that fills most of the fundamental needs of a currency:

1. Fungible (ie you can make small or large units of it.)

2. Hard to duplicate.

3. Easy to transport (ie if you can't move it, you can't "give" it to someone else as easily.

4. It's durable. ie the 'react' part.

If you're talking elemental materials, there really isn't much better than gold. NPR did a good thing on it a few years back, and basically if you go through the various building blocks of the world, you'll end up using copper, silver, and gold as money more often than not because they fulfill all of the above requirements. The problem with the gold standard people is they fail to realize that modern paper and electronic currency also fulfils those requirements and does so in a much more effective way. We have grown past needing hunks of gold to represent stores of value, and trying ourselves to it for histories sake is a stupid move.

That's actually kind of my point as to why you can just pick any old arbitrary standard at all. The really interesting thing is that gold standards basically give way to other standards by default. For a long time (and this is how paper money came around) it was the promise of gold that was traded rather than the gold itself. Bank notes became the de facto currency because it's easier to move a piece of paper that says "10 pounds, gold" than it is to move the gold itself. It's also more secure. "10 pounds of gold, payable to only Richy McMerchantpants" is harder to steal and easier to track than just ten pounds of raw gold.

Eventually fiat currency happened because people realized paper can represent value. What lolbertarians fail to realize is that fiat currency is basically an everything standard. As long as you have some of value (absolutely anything that somebody will pay for, including your time) you can exchange it for dollars which can then be exchanged for other stuff. It isn't strongly tied to gold which makes it much harder to manipulate for people that have a poo poo load of gold. Plus gold leads to insane things like mercantilism and colonialism. I really don't think it would be a good idea to go back to a world which was basically run on the basis of "hey let's see which rear end in a top hat king can stuff the most shiny crap in a vault somewhere."

Caros
May 14, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's actually kind of my point as to why you can just pick any old arbitrary standard at all. The really interesting thing is that gold standards basically give way to other standards by default. For a long time (and this is how paper money came around) it was the promise of gold that was traded rather than the gold itself. Bank notes became the de facto currency because it's easier to move a piece of paper that says "10 pounds, gold" than it is to move the gold itself. It's also more secure. "10 pounds of gold, payable to only Richy McMerchantpants" is harder to steal and easier to track than just ten pounds of raw gold.

Eventually fiat currency happened because people realized paper can represent value. What lolbertarians fail to realize is that fiat currency is basically an everything standard. As long as you have some of value (absolutely anything that somebody will pay for, including your time) you can exchange it for dollars which can then be exchanged for other stuff. It isn't strongly tied to gold which makes it much harder to manipulate for people that have a poo poo load of gold. Plus gold leads to insane things like mercantilism and colonialism. I really don't think it would be a good idea to go back to a world which was basically run on the basis of "hey let's see which rear end in a top hat king can stuff the most shiny crap in a vault somewhere."

Oh we agree, I was just pointing out that they had a point as to why people used gold over say... wood to begin with. Once you get to the idea of fiat currency however, there really isn't much use for a gold standard because you are just tying your imaginary value bucks to a stack of metal that also represents your imaginary value bucks but also costrains your fiscal policy in dangerous ways.

I personally think a lot of the gold worship has to do with using the gold standard as a way to shrink down the government so as to drown it in the bathtub.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
When I was 18 I joined the Ontario Libertarian Party and within a few months they tossed out the idea of me running in my riding in the next provincial election. What a joke of a party that was.

Caros
May 14, 2008

prom candy posted:

When I was 18 I joined the Ontario Libertarian Party and within a few months they tossed out the idea of me running in my riding in the next provincial election. What a joke of a party that was.

The Libertarian Party of Canada is currently trying their damnedest to get as many people on the ballot as physically possible, without regard to the quality of those particular candidates. For example:

quote:

Biography
As an early entrant to the work force, Ethan developed an unshakable work ethic, helpful in the oil field where he now focuses his professional attention. Ethan has also worked in broadcasting, proudly hosting the very first live talk show about Bitcoin, to air on commercial radio, among other projects.

Ethan also served as the founding president of a Saskatchewan political party. In this administrative role, he saw the immense value in giving people a platform for advocating changes to the status quo.

Ethan’s views on economics, monetary theory, and social policy have been heavily influenced by writers such as Murray Rothbard, Ludwig Von Mises, and Henry Hazlitt. A keen area of focus for him, Ethan believes that Canada’s current monetary policy is detrimental to consumers and entrepreneurs. An ardent defender of consumer choice, he holds the Canadian monetary system to a high standard that he believes, policy makers have failed to achieved.

Maintaining an interest in the advocacy of LGBT issues, Ethan is firmly of the opinion that oppressed communities should seek a freedom option. Any minority that has been oppressed in the past has been most well served by those who embrace them, rather than by those who are forced to do so. Creating bridges and empowering individuals has produced the best results for those suffering from undue discrimination.

I can point to public postings where the Libertarian Party Candidate for Saskatoon West Ethan Erkiletian condoned and excused murder for hire as not violating the non-aggression principle or necessarily being morally wrong. They're going for breadth to try and up their total number of votes to make it seem like the party isn't a tiny minority that will never, ever win a canadian election. Hell, their party leader pulled in 2.9% of the vote in Fort Mac, one of the most libertarian leaning parts of the country.

My favorite part however, is this plank of their party platform:

quote:

The official position of the Libertarian Party of Canada is that the federal government should leave the entirety of health care decisions to provincial and territorial governments. The current system costs Canadians approximately $6,000 a year, per citizen. For the average family, their healthcare tax burden will be approximately $24,000 per year. Although Canadians spend a lot on the provision of healthcare, the system is painfully slow. The median wait time for an emergency room visit in Canada is 8.8 hours, which places Canada dead last among OECD countries for timeliness of care.

Not only do Canadians spend much of their time waiting for care, the system consistently underperforms. Canada is ranked in the bottom third of OECD countries for safe care, effective care, coordinated care and patient centered care.

To overcome these issues, the Libertarian Party of Canada would:

Repeal the Canada Health Act
To ensure that healthcare is a provincial responsibility
To allow private alternatives for care and insurance, which will alleviate public wait times and the growing fiscal burden of healthcare. Provinces will be free to choose the system that best fits their needs

For you non-Canadians out there, the Canada Health Act is essentially the Canadian universal healthcare system. The government sets a bunch of standards that all places must uphold, and gives transfer payments from the federal government to try and equalize the burden so poorer provinces don't get shittier healthcare. The official policy of the Libertarian Party of Canada is to dismantle our universal healthcare system in favor of eventual transfer to privatization. It is worth noting that the approval rating of Canada's universal healthcare is 91%, which means more people approve of their healthcare than approve of cute puppies. (89%). I mean I get that they are taking an ideological stand, but they will never, ever get elected.

Edit:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!

quote:

Biography
Derek was born in Kitchener, Ontario but has lived in North Bay since early high school. He Graduated from Chippewa Secondary School with a Business Certificate. Derek then went on to enter the Business Management Program at Canadore College. After being in the workforce for a few years, Derek decided to enrol in the TV and Video Production course at Canadore.

Derek first grew a fondness of politics while overseas in Finland on a Youth Exchange Program. Upon returning to Canada, Derek began participating in the activities of the Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario as well as the federal Progressive Conservatives. After losing faith in the federal Conservatives ability to produce a small Government, Derek discovered Libertarianism and the Libertarian Party of Canada. Derek is the Deputy Leader of the Libertarian Party of Canada and has also ran as a provincial candidate for the Ontario Libertarian Party.

Fun fact, Derek Elliott is the one cousin my family does not talk about, and so I only just now realized he is a libertarian because he is on their list of approved candidates that they are running this election. I assume he lost faith in the federal Conservatives ability to produce small government after he was arrested for child molestation in 2007. Oh sorry, did I say arrested? I meant convicted. He was convicted of child molestation in 2007. Also checking fraud, but that is sort of burying the lead.

Caros fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Caros posted:

The Libertarian Party of Canada is currently trying their damnedest to get as many people on the ballot as physically possible, without regard to the quality of those particular candidates. For example:

I can point to public postings where the Libertarian Party Candidate for Saskatoon West Ethan Erkiletian condoned and excused murder for hire as not violating the non-aggression principle or necessarily being morally wrong. They're going for breadth to try and up their total number of votes to make it seem like the party isn't a tiny minority that will never, ever win a canadian election. Hell, their party leader pulled in 2.9% of the vote in Fort Mac, one of the most libertarian leaning parts of the country.

My favorite part however, is this plank of their party platform:

For you non-Canadians out there, the Canada Health Act is essentially the Canadian universal healthcare system. The government sets a bunch of standards that all places must uphold, and gives transfer payments from the federal government to try and equalize the burden so poorer provinces don't get shittier healthcare. The official policy of the Libertarian Party of Canada is to dismantle our universal healthcare system in favor of eventual transfer to privatization. It is worth noting that the approval rating of Canada's universal healthcare is 91%, which means more people approve of their healthcare than approve of cute puppies. (89%). I mean I get that they are taking an ideological stand, but they will never, ever get elected.

The big question is, has there ever been a Libertarian candidate who didn't lose his deposit?