Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

polyfractal posted:

Did you use this stuff, or something else? I have some dark, black velvet in a closet leftover from an old project...I'm wondering if I can just use that instead?

Yup, used the proto star stuff. It was fairly cheap for what got sent to me, have enough to flock many more cameras. Not sure what results you'd get from using velvet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

unpacked robinhood posted:

What's a decent place to order A4 negative sleeves with binder holes in europe ? Ebay doesn't seem to have lots of choices
I went digging through MacoDirect.de because I figured they're a good place to start. Annoyingly, most of their negative sleeves are made in the USA so have stupid 8.5 x 11 inch sizes. As a resident of North America, I'd like to apologize for our continuing use of such silliness. Anyway, I like the holders I get from PrintFile, the sheets are about 215 x 280 mm, and have multiple sets of holes punched in them so I think they'd fit into an A4 binder but stick out just a bit from the side.

The alternative is a photo/negative storage box that will be whatever specific size based on fitting however many pieces of cut film (4 frames? 5 frames?) into some particular size. It won't be A4, it won't be 8.5 x 11 or 8 x 10, but it will be a good place to put your stuff so it doesn't get damaged. Probably fairly expensive, though.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm using an Ikea KASSETT box to store my negative file sleeves. They have a size that fits very well, I think it's the 27x35 cm one. It also fits 8x10" and 24x30 cm prints neatly.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I use a big PrintFile binder and one of these slipcases. They hold a lot but I think I might need another one. It's well-built and archival, a bit spendy though.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Doing a day trip to NYC to hit up B&H (good excuse, right?) to pick up a bunch of film for my trip next week. I expect I'll come out with more than film.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Would there be any actual difference in the negatives if I developed my film at Costco instead of my local photo lab? I figure I could save some time and money on the scans since it's much cheaper there, and if I really have a problem, I can rescan it myself on my V600. But I don't really want to risk permanently hosed up negatives.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
I always got a very thin scratch along the entire roll, most likely because of the processing machines. I keep going back because $1.50 processing for a roll no matter the size can't be beat.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Chill Callahan posted:

I always got a very thin scratch along the entire roll, most likely because of the processing machines. I keep going back because $1.50 processing for a roll no matter the size can't be beat.

I got scratches at my local CVS minilab too, I pretty much assume it's the cost of doing business with any non-pro lab. If anything I'd guess Costco would be better than a regular drugstore.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
All the Costco's I've checked only do prints or scanning, none of then actually develop film anymore.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
Just tried Rodinal stand dev the other day. It's awesome.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

polyfractal posted:

Just tried Rodinal stand dev the other day. It's awesome.

High-fiving emoticon for stand dev.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Got back the roll I had developed at Costco. I decided to just go ahead and do the scans myself as well so I could have a point of comparison.

The Costco scans have a straight-ish line (but not perfectly straight) running across the top of all of them, which isn't there in my scans, so it's not damaged negatives. They don't seem to be using digital ICE (or they're really bad about cleaning off dust) because a couple of them have pretty prominent bits in the way.

The colors and stuff are mostly satisfactory on most of Costco's scans, though a few (generally the ones with heavy shadowing) are significantly different from my own.

The main thing I'm noticing is that Costco's scans are way sharper than what my Epson V600 is turning out. Even when taking oversharpening into consideration, and even after I scan with no sharpening and then sharpen in Lightroom later, the Costco ones simply seem to have more detail. Starting to feel some scanner envy here :smith: Though I should probably look into those BetterScanning holders, I suppose.

I wish scanning weren't so boring and time-consuming. I'd totally just go with my photo lab's scans, but for some reason a disc of TIFF scans costs 18 loving dollars when dev-only is like $5.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Get a Pakon 135+. I can scan a roll of 36 with digital ICE @ 2000x3000 (real resolution, not interpolated) in like 5 minutes, unattended. The colors are gorgeous too, especially the skin tones. The prices have risen from $250 to $350 recently though, I think because of a Steve Huffman article on it. I would advise against it if you shoot a lot of slides or B&W that need careful tone post-processing. The 135 has a fixed blue filter on the sensor so you lose some dynamic range if it isn't color negatives. Also it uses DX coding to split frames, so it chokes with film without the coding.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Chill Callahan posted:

Get a Pakon 135+. I can scan a roll of 36 with digital ICE @ 2000x3000 (real resolution, not interpolated) in like 5 minutes, unattended. The colors are gorgeous too, especially the skin tones. The prices have risen from $250 to $350 recently though, I think because of a Steve Huffman article on it. I would advise against it if you shoot a lot of slides or B&W that need careful tone post-processing. The 135 has a fixed blue filter on the sensor so you lose some dynamic range if it isn't color negatives. Also it uses DX coding to split frames, so it chokes with film without the coding.

I think I really need to get one of these. The quality of the scans for the MF negs on the v600 are great, but the 35mm scans aren't good at all.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Flatbeds are pretty terrible for critical 35mm scanning, even a top-end one like a V700. Film flatness has been a huge problem for me, even if you discount the relatively limited resolution. If I were shooting a lot more 35mm, I would search out a dedicated 35mm scanner like this guy, but it's really just more reason to shoot 120.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

TheJeffers posted:

Film flatness has been a huge problem for me, even if you discount the relatively limited resolution.

I have one of those betterscanning thingies and that really fixed the flatness issue for me (especially for 120...it's a world of difference). It doesn't fix the fact that the resolution for 35mm is pretty bad. Anyone have any experience with the Plustek scanners? They look like they might do a pretty good job for 35mm.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I also thought the resolution of 35mm was really lovely until I saw the Pakon F135 in action.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

BANME.sh posted:

I also thought the resolution of 35mm was really lovely until I saw the Pakon F135 in action.

I should be more clear: flatbed scanners don't have enough optical resolution to pull all of the detail out of 35mm negs. Not knocking 35mm as a format (much.)

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Chill Callahan posted:

How well do those work with film that's already been cut into strips? Would have been perfect for digitizing all my family's old negs (bit late now), but maybe someday.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Pompous Rhombus posted:

How well do those work with film that's already been cut into strips? Would have been perfect for digitizing all my family's old negs (bit late now), but maybe someday.

It works with strips as small as two I think. You just have to feed them in one after another. It's incredibly nice not worrying about mounting curly negatives, etc. cause you can just feed whatever into the film track and the Pakon will run it through.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
If we're talking about scanning:

Any tips on how to clean a slide duplicator glass? I've tried cotton swabs with water and dry lens cleaning tissue but it's stil dirty as gently caress and leaves A LOT of spots/dirt that I have to spot on PS. Maybe some rubbing alcohol? It won't harm the matte glass right?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
You get some lens cleaning paper and then do the drag method with some clean solvents, we do this with lenses in our optics lab:

http://www.thorlabs.hk/tutorials.cfm?tabID=26066
(Drop and drag)

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Not entirely sure why i kept buying development tanks, but at least it's a collection :v (these are being put up for sale locally)

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I just got a small changing bag, and it seems that I just cant use it for loading my 120 film into the dev tank. Since its a light proof contraption it seems to trap all the humidity and moisture in that micro environment as well, and my rolls become soft and flimsy if I dont do it quickly enough. drat my plastic reels and this drat contraption! It took me about 30 minutes to spool one last night and it still didnt come onto the reel correctly. Also one of the reels seem to kink my film for no appearent reason... sigh...
Are metal reels much better?

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
I pushed some HP5+ to 1600 in T-Max developer recently, and I think I kind of like it ...

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

user ansel autism helped me develop my first roll of 35mm ilford delta 100 the other day, also scanned them because he's the best

hallway by mydoski, on Flickr

nothin' too interesting photo wise, just nice to experience the whole life cycle of negatives for once

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Putrid Grin posted:

Are metal reels much better?
Your experience will probably be dramatically different from mine, but steel reels (Hewes) are loaded in a very different way than are plastic reels. Instead of ratcheting back-and-forth to pull the film onto the reel, you attach the end to the axis of the spool, then roll it around and around to fit the film edges into the spiral grooves.

I absolutely suck at this, and I've ruined every roll I've tried to put through metal reels.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yep while metal reels avoid the damp film glue effect, they require a lot more technique to load. 135 reels usually have something in the center that grips in the sprocket holes, while 120 reels have a spring to hold the film end in place. With 135, if you have the leader hanging out of the cassette you can snap it onto the reel in light before rolling the rest of the film up, but with 120 you need to be able to fasten the film in the dark.

Plastic reels are much easier to load. The only advantage steel reels have over plastic is the faster recycling time since you don't have to dry them completely.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Can anyone talk me through (or down from) picking up a Jobo tank for manual C-41 processing? I'm thinking that if I can get by with 270ml of chems for 2x 120 rolls or 6 sheets of 4x5, I'd be able to stretch a liquid Tetenal kit out to three solutions, so it could last longer as concentrate. (also less fixer, less chems for B&W, etc)

Am I an idiot for even considering manual rotation? I've heard of using Unicolor motor rollers, but I have very limited space for development already, and a manual base would be ideal.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

rohan posted:

Can anyone talk me through (or down from) picking up a Jobo tank for manual C-41 processing? I'm thinking that if I can get by with 270ml of chems for 2x 120 rolls or 6 sheets of 4x5, I'd be able to stretch a liquid Tetenal kit out to three solutions, so it could last longer as concentrate. (also less fixer, less chems for B&W, etc)

Am I an idiot for even considering manual rotation? I've heard of using Unicolor motor rollers, but I have very limited space for development already, and a manual base would be ideal.

Is it much cheaper than send out? I was going to start doing my own color then discovered that after buying the chemicals I was only saving about a dollar per a 120 roll.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

There's only one place near me that does C-41 4x5, and they charge AU$6 a sheet. Even if I used each 270ml batch as a one-shot (which I might have to?), I'm looking at $44 for enough chems to do 18 sheets myself, vs $108 to have them done in a lab.

120 is also cheaper but not by as much.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
If you see yourself shooting lots of 4x5 in the future and not moving to 8x10 I'd say get the Jobo, or maybe look at the MOD54 Patterson tank insert.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Spedman posted:

If you see yourself shooting lots of 4x5 in the future and not moving to 8x10 I'd say get the Jobo, or maybe look at the MOD54 Patterson tank insert.
A (possible, eventual, unlikely) move to 8x10 was actually a point in Jobo's favour for me, since I could just upgrade to a 2550, get a CL-81 reel, and be able to keep using the same roller base, 4x5 and 120 reels, etc. (Or hopefully by then I'll be living in a house with enough space for a Uniroller.) I'm using a Patterson w/ mod54 now for my B&W work, but the Jobo's much lower chemical usage is a big drawcard for me. I can see myself shooting a lot of 4x5 over time, but I don't want to count on 1L of mixed chems staying good while I take my time shooting.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

rohan posted:

I have a unicolor roller base, it's not huge. If you have space for a manual roller you have space for a unicolor.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 18, 2015

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Tri-X might be just about the most miserable bullshit that is theoretically possible to load onto a reel. What a loving nonsense way to spend the better part of an hour.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Uhhhh Tri-X has been a wildly popular standby for 50 years

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Can't be as miserable as foma. At least tri-x is not the cheapest thinnest plastic film in the world.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

mulls posted:

Uhhhh Tri-X has been a wildly popular standby for 50 years

I think he voodoorootbeer means that loading it is finicky and hard, not that it's a bad film in and of itself.
Personally, I can load a roll of Tri-X onto one of my Hewes reels and into the tank in about five minutes (faster for 120), so I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Yeah, it's the loading. I guess in TYOOL 2015 I have to resort to unrolling a roll of 120 and re-winding it backwards on the spool before I put it on the reel like some kind of goddamned Neanderthal.