Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Chomp8645 posted:

I played a couple hours of Dominion online with my buddy using that German whatever client "Brett Spiel Welt" or something. It was pretty fun and thanks to computerized assistance it was a fast, fun pace. I can't imagine the game being anything but torture if I had to play it with real cards, especially with a four or more people.

Interestingly, you aren't obligated to play with more than 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Chomp8645 posted:

I played a couple hours of Dominion online with my buddy using that German whatever client "Brett Spiel Welt" or something. It was pretty fun and thanks to computerized assistance it was a fast, fun pace. I can't imagine the game being anything but torture if I had to play it with real cards, especially with a four or more people.

It's fine. I've played plenty of games of Dominion over Tabletop Simulator where it's probably more fiddly than using actual real cards and the games still progress at a decent enough clip. Granted, I have the good fortune to play with people who are fairly expedient players.

granted I've only played with 3 people at maximum and at four or higher, I'd just bust a different game out

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It's honestly not that bad with 2 people but 3 starts to slow it down a little. And Dominion really shines with fast repeated play. (And yeah never ever play more than 4.)

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

In a perfect world, I would just split up 4 players into 2 kingdoms and play those and swap afterwards, reducing setup time. This perfect world only exists in my mind though, and no one else wants to do that but I insist on it with more than 4

If only I could play all my games with 1-5 more fosbourne clones :negative:

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Zark the Damned posted:

The Mechwarrior ccg had your deck as your life total - you could attack your opponent's deck with your guys to force them to mill cards. You lose when your deck hits 0 cards. Dunno if that helps.

Yeah, I used to play this back in the day, but this would be more like a cross between that and something like Dominion in that you'd start off with, say, 20 each of 3 basic resources and be using/sacrificing those to add new cards to your deck, and then be cycling through your deck repeatedly (and faster and faster as the game goes on and your deck dwindles). As opposed to Mechwarrior where you start with a fully built deck and only go through it once, and lose when you can't draw.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

esquilax posted:

Not on BGG and not on the boardgame reddit - star realms is actually popular with other game spergs, just not the ones in this thread. It's kind of weird.

Fair enough, in the interest of full clarity I've never played it and thus have no stake in the discussion.

just appealing to popularity doesn't really wash well

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

esquilax posted:

Not on BGG and not on the boardgame reddit - star realms is actually popular with other game spergs, just not the ones in this thread. It's kind of weird.

Here's a mental exercise for you: Can you explain to me what makes Star Realms a good deckbuilder, or even a good game? Because other than listing its differences from Dominion,, you're only cases for it has been an argumentum ad populum, and saying that is a better filler game, which means nothing because it is not competing with Dominion in that field, but against a huge variety of other (and arguably better) filler games.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Paper Kaiju posted:

Here's a mental exercise for you: Can you explain to me what makes Star Realms a good deckbuilder, or even a good game? Because other than listing its differences from Dominion,, you're only cases for it has been an argumentum ad populum, and saying that is a better filler game, which means nothing because it is not competing with Dominion in that field, but against a huge variety of other (and arguably better) filler games.

There are good tactical decisions that force you to respond to your own deck as well as your opponents, a large variety of winning strategies, you need to adapt your strategy as the game goes on, and the engine building aspect is very satisfying.

And much like other filler games, setup is quick and it's easy to learn (especially if people are familiar with Dominion).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone made a well-formatted rules sheet for the 5 promo leaders from 7 Wonders? I keep finding myself teaching the game to new people, and so far we've been fine just passing around the Leaders/Cities reference books for people to peruse during the leader draft, but now with the promos mixed in, I'd like to have a single sheet instead of the 5 different print-outs that Repos provides.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

xopods posted:

Yeah, I used to play this back in the day, but this would be more like a cross between that and something like Dominion in that you'd start off with, say, 20 each of 3 basic resources and be using/sacrificing those to add new cards to your deck, and then be cycling through your deck repeatedly (and faster and faster as the game goes on and your deck dwindles). As opposed to Mechwarrior where you start with a fully built deck and only go through it once, and lose when you can't draw.
Which direction are you going? Destroy-own or destroy-opponent? I'd like to fiddle around with the concept, too, but would rather not end up just reinventing whatever wheel you make.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Thinking back on the topic of teaching games, would it be prudent to have a Wiki or something of "What to know before playing a game" akin to the thread/resource in Games. I have no idea how to do anything online and like most goon projects, it is likely doomed to failure, but it might be a useful endeavor. Advice like "don't feed Khorne" is repeated often enough that it might be a good idea to just collect that somewhere for people to browse before they play a game for the first time, or general rules that seem to be easily forgotten but are pretty integral to the game.

I'm still thinking about Patchistory and I think that's a good sign, but unfortunately all my thoughts gravitate around the Voting step and how boring it is. I really wish they had revamped it some with what I said, where first, second, third and fourth just get X amount of points (or lose X amount of points), depending on the ranking of how many votes it received. I remember at the end of Era 2 I had won 3 of the 4 victory conditions, but since I could only apply votes to 1, it felt like the other 2 were just other players burning their victory conditions so that I basically can never get points off of it. That sorta feels lovely. Maybe even having one public victory condition would make the players compete against something, I dunno. As is, it's easily the worst part of an otherwise fine game.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

papasyhotcakes posted:

Just played a three person game of Dixit Journey with two people completely new to boardgames, and now both of them want a copy of their own.:cool: Is there any substantial difference between the Dixit editions? Journey seems to cost a lot more than the others.

Sorry to post this again, but my previous post seems to have been lost in the discussion of the difference between good/bad nerdy (there isn't).

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

papasyhotcakes posted:

Sorry to post this again, but my previous post seems to have been lost in the discussion of the difference between good/bad nerdy (there isn't).

I don't know the answer, except that there are some expansions that are cards-only (no counters and such) and should be avoided as first purchases, although they might not exist anymore anyway.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

papasyhotcakes posted:

It's basically the 2nd edition. You get some little scoring cards, a different score track and the rules are a bit less clumsily written.

Minor stuff, so if it costs a huge amount more then don't bother.

Although Odyssey is the one to get really, as it gives you the bits to play with 12.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Played Terra Mystica with expansion (I couldn't imagine playing without some of the expansion rules now). We picked races randomly (I really suggest doing this) and had the race auction at the start. Races were the dragon riders (bidded for 16), ice maidens (bidded for 10), ainur (bidded for 5), giants and fakirs (bidded both for 0). I picked up the giants since I wanted to try them. I managed to have a tied win with the ice maidens, which I guess places me in the elite club of 'have won TM with giants' :smug:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

PerniciousKnid posted:

I don't know the answer, except that there are some expansions that are cards-only (no counters and such) and should be avoided as first purchases, although they might not exist anymore anyway.

They definitely still exist, as I just picked one up. I think they are Daydream, Quest, Origins and Odyssey. They're smaller boxes (sorta like 7 Wonders non-Babel expansions), so it's not hard to tell them apart.

On another note, is there a better way to store Dixit than just throwing the cards in a box? The insert doesn't fit sleeved cards. I'm tempted to try to try and make them winder but...arts and crafts aren't exactly my forte.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Thinking back on the topic of teaching games, would it be prudent to have a Wiki or something of "What to know before playing a game" akin to the thread/resource in Games. I have no idea how to do anything online and like most goon projects, it is likely doomed to failure, but it might be a useful endeavor. Advice like "don't feed Khorne" is repeated often enough that it might be a good idea to just collect that somewhere for people to browse before they play a game for the first time, or general rules that seem to be easily forgotten but are pretty integral to the game.

beforeiplayboardgames.com is the site I never knew I wanted. I have nothing to add on the technical end, but if a wiki or such were set up I'd certainly contribute to it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Man, Repos Production actually managed to annoy me. I wanted to order the 7 Wonders promos I'm missing (Wil and Nimrod), but you need to have a 10 euro order to submit it. What a hassle. I'd get the Mascarade expansion, but they're sold out in English.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Can someone explain why Eminent Domain is good? As far as I can tell, it looks like simplified Dominion plus simplified Race for the Galaxy, resulting in a game that looks really simple. But I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.

The base game is pretty close to what you're suggesting. The expansion is pretty critical to making it an interesting game. I think the thing that shakes things up the most is that it provides a mechanic where everyone starts with a different setup out of a pretty broad pool instead of the default where your starting deck is an even spread of all the action types and you get a random planet. These starting setups typically grant at least one technology to start with (bringing technology into a much more centrally affecting role since in the base game by the time you get 5-7 research techs, you'll hardly have time to use them before the game ends), feature very different action spreads (sometimes with fewer cards than the original, and definitely much less evenly distributed between the types), specific starting planets, etc.

It also adds significantly more variety to the technologies, differentiates between the military ship types and gives them uses beyond just invading planets, introduces "diverse" technologies that require a spread of different planet types, adds support for a fifth player, etc.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Tekopo posted:

Played Terra Mystica with expansion (I couldn't imagine playing without some of the expansion rules now). We picked races randomly (I really suggest doing this) and had the race auction at the start. Races were the dragon riders (bidded for 16), ice maidens (bidded for 10), ainur (bidded for 5), giants and fakirs (bidded both for 0). I picked up the giants since I wanted to try them. I managed to have a tied win with the ice maidens, which I guess places me in the elite club of 'have won TM with giants' :smug:

I don't think you get into the :smug: club, considering you actually lost by 10 points and even after the auction "balancing" you only got to a tie.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Well no, that's the entire point of the auction. That's a loving stupid thing to say.

(also lol if you actually thought I was being serious about being smug)

EDIT:

Also this

Terra Mystica Rulebook posted:

The player with the highest number of Victory points wins
the game.
In case of a tie, there is more than one winner.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 17, 2015

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Trasson posted:

beforeiplayboardgames.com is the site I never knew I wanted. I have nothing to add on the technical end, but if a wiki or such were set up I'd certainly contribute to it.

Without heavy moderation that site is doomed to be buried in overly detailed, contradictory, and bad strategy advice. Even in this thread, sometimes the "what should I know about Dominion" gets answered with Big Money or the First Game Engine.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

One with a better future might be goonsensus.com, which gives a rough overview on games and whatever with whatever goons generally think of it. (There'd likely also be a 'Rutibex' section for what people who dissent with the common opinion say.)

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Tekopo posted:

(also lol if you actually thought I was being serious about being smug)

You joke, I joke. We're just jokin about board games here in the board games thread on a comedy forum.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Poopy Palpy posted:

You joke, I joke. We're just jokin about board games here in the board games thread on a comedy forum.
The problem is that with BGG opinions like the ones you said are stuff that I've actually heard being seriously said.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

That said, Dominion's biggest flaws in my opinion are:
  • shuffling
  • having to recalculate your play and/or reshuffle due to someone's attack card
  • shuffling in the middle of your turn

Shuffling is an easy fix, you play the version printed on poker chips, which is actually a great idea.

On a different note, where does the hivemind sit on Clash of Cultures? I played it for either the second or third time today after a LONG drought (this time with the expansion) and just found it... WAY too fiddly. It has the core of a good game, and I like the tech tree and more importantly, the way the tech tree is designed, the die cut holes work great. But there's just so much to learn and I feel like I have to know all of it and even when I do it's very difficult to know what I should actually be doing and what's important to get now and whether I should be getting this which makes that thing I'm doing cheaper or better or just doing that thing straight away and what you just killed me gently caress arg where did that come from poo poo.

There's too much of it to be straightforward, i think. I far prefer a relatively simple game with emergent complexity than I do a complex game with lots of complexity. It's similar to the issues I have with Civilisation (the newer version) only magnified a lot by the techs being fiddly as poo poo and having a bunch of text on them which doesn't necessarily do intuitive things and at least 7 resources to consider and remember and work out how you're getting.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Star Realms is garbage as a filler, might as well flip a coin. You could best-of-3 but why not play a good game in that time?

I've never played the physical version but I can only imagine how unsatisfying it is without the app doing everything for you and providing explosion sounds to signify that yes, mindlessly playing your entire hand did something.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 18, 2015

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I have so many things on my social calendar these days, it is difficult to know which you are making reference to, in particular.

Bubble-T posted:

I've never played the physical version but I can only imagine how unsatisfying it is without the app doing everything for you and providing explosion sounds to signify that yes, mindlessly playing your entire hand did something.

God gave you a mouth so you could generate your own explosion sounds.

I just got Paperback and tried the solo mode. The people who are complaining that it's too easy are just trying too hard. :colbert:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Bubble-T posted:

Star Realms is garbage as a filler, might as well flip a coin. You could best-of-3 but why not play a good game in that time?

Would Star Realms work if the trade offering was not random? I have only played with the app, and that was my main issue.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Rexides posted:

Would Star Realms work if the trade offering was not random? I have only played with the app, and that was my main issue.

The mechanics all seem to be built around the fact that the market is limited and randomized. I'm pretty sure the game would break if you made a full market board. There also wouldn't be enough to differentiate it from Dominion.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Durendal posted:

There's something I have been pondering lately - why is it that no one has been able to improve upon Dominion? So many games have come and gone over the last six years yet not one has been able to improve upon its formula. Did Donald sell his soul or something? Or did he just some how make a game that is mechanically flawless?

It just boggles my mind that nothing has come along to bump it off the deck building throne.

My impression of Dominion was that it was a game that it almost minimalistic - allowing you to play your opponents with as little "game" in the way as possible while still having the game there. I think that when someone tries to make "Dominion, but better" it tends to be by taking what is basically Dominion but adding some extra knobs onto it - which is sort of sideways/backwards to what makes it what it is.

If you want to make Dominion but better, one way would be to figure out how to have the same good elements of the gameplay but, oh, without the constant shuffling and re-shuffling. So much shuffling is just a chore (a chore solved by computer versions, I suppose.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mister Sinewave posted:

If you want to make Dominion but better, one way would be to figure out how to have the same good elements of the gameplay but, oh, without the constant shuffling and re-shuffling. So much shuffling is just a chore (a chore solved by computer versions, I suppose.)
That's one of the things I dig about Puzzle Strike. The chip bag thing is a really loving clever idea.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
So ZMAN released OWACON instead of the much awaited expansions of Tragedy Looper. Maybe they got it in a package deal considering it doesn't look half as hot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHDuPlh5Ca8

echoMateria fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 18, 2015

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Poison Mushroom posted:

That's one of the things I dig about Puzzle Strike. The chip bag thing is a really loving clever idea.

I was just about to post about how much better Puzzle Strike is if you have a print and play card set than if you are playing with a retail copy. Shaking up a bag of chips may be easier than shuffling, but as much of Dominion game you spend shuffling, you spend even more of it holding a hand of cards. Holding a hand of chips is just terrible.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Dominion also takes nearly as long to set up and clean up than it does to play a game when you have fast players

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Poison Mushroom posted:

I didn't really know anything about Puzzle Strike but I know more now! That does sound clever. I think I'll add it to my list to check out.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Poopy Palpy posted:

I was just about to post about how much better Puzzle Strike is if you have a print and play card set than if you are playing with a retail copy. Shaking up a bag of chips may be easier than shuffling, but as much of Dominion game you spend shuffling, you spend even more of it holding a hand of cards. Holding a hand of chips is just terrible.

IIRC they added in player screens in the third edition, which is what you'd find in stores.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Why in the gently caress has someone not mixed Dominions and Ascensions style of market places together? Or have they just done so and I have not played this game? A small number of rotating cards on the board that changes based on the number of players + a set supply of cards to choose from.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

S.J. posted:

Why in the gently caress has someone not mixed Dominions and Ascensions style of market places together? Or have they just done so and I have not played this game? A small number of rotating cards on the board that changes based on the number of players + a set supply of cards to choose from.

Ascension has Heavy Infantry, Mystics and Cultists always available for spending your resources on.
Arctic Scavenger is a fixed market but has the Junk pile and contested resources to spice up your deck.
Eminent Domain has the regular role cards and a market of technologies (which are basically kingdom cards).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Anyone want to get together and play some Takenoko on BGA?

Up to learning other games, Stone Age maybe?, if you have good recommendations.