Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I don't have the books handy at the moment but aren't they constantly referencing Miller's porkpie hat as well? Though I guess it's up to the producers/directors to decide whether or not it works on screen.

Anyways it looks like it has reasonably high production values at least, I'll probably check it out. I'm a little curious about how graphic they decide to go with the protomolecule effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Yea I've never read the books and I think the hat looks retarded.

Is he a private eye or something? If so, he needs a more Indiana Jones/ 50s style hat. Not that weird tiny thing.

IIRC, in the book it was a porkpie hat. That looks a bit more fedora-ish.

It wasn't going to look great either way.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
It looks silly in those still photos but it'll probably be fine when watching the show

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

orange sky posted:

The rest of your job doesn't imply taking in information?

Not in a narrative form. I've been having a lot of fun figuring out where exactly the line is.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The hat looks fine TBH. Also, is that Tom Jane?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Remember how Miller is convinced he's a great cop but he's actually poo poo?

Maybe, just maybe, the ridiculous looking hat is a way of communicating that to the audience of a different medium.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

First "The Expanse" trailer (SyFy TV series based on Leviathan Wakes etc)

Miller looks so goddamn loving stupid.

Man I really hope they don't screw this up. The production values look pretty good and it's not like they don't have 4 books worth of decent material to draw from. We haven't really had a good science fiction TV series since BSG and even that went down hill pretty hard after the second season. The cast also looks okay, although I always imagined Miller looking like Peter Weller. Also, I'm pretty sure his hat was supposed to look ridiculous, with Miller being the only one who liked it.

Please please don't loving suck.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

Hedrigall posted:

First "The Expanse" trailer (SyFy TV series based on Leviathan Wakes etc)

It looks...odd. Definitely not what I was envisioning. Also, while I understand the practical realities of casting and all that, it seems a bit weird to have all the Belters basically look exactly the same as anybody else and then have a guy dramatically saying "THEY TREAT US LIKE A DIFFERENT SPECIES". Like, that works in the book because you know the Belters are all freakishly tall and thin, but in a TV show where they look just like anyone else, it doesn't quite work.

That short snippet of the zero-g sex looked stupid.

I'm wondering how they're putting Avasarala in the storyline, since she doesn't actually come in until Book 2.

Hedrigall posted:

Miller looks so goddamn loving stupid.

Meh, I thought he looked alright. Certainly different from what I imagined. Kinda looks too youthful. Then again, supposedly Miller was in his 40s in the book and the actor is supposed to be around the same age. Guess he just doesn't look beat down enough.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Shnakepup posted:

It looks...odd. Definitely not what I was envisioning. Also, while I understand the practical realities of casting and all that, it seems a bit weird to have all the Belters basically look exactly the same as anybody else and then have a guy dramatically saying "THEY TREAT US LIKE A DIFFERENT SPECIES". Like, that works in the book because you know the Belters are all freakishly tall and thin, but in a TV show where they look just like anyone else, it doesn't quite work.

Yeah, I think this is one of the unfortunate realities of translating this to a filmed product. Like, there's probably just not the budget to have CG'ified Belters that look appropriately freaky in a SciFi TV show, which I think is understandable. I just hope they go hard on the mannerisms/lingo to make them stand out more.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Shnakepup posted:

That short snippet of the zero-g sex looked stupid.

I'm wondering how they're putting Avasarala in the storyline, since she doesn't actually come in until Book 2.

Meh, I thought he looked alright. Certainly different from what I imagined. Kinda looks too youthful. Then again, supposedly Miller was in his 40s in the book and the actor is supposed to be around the same age. Guess he just doesn't look beat down enough.

I was picturing Miller as a sort of sloppier Clive Owen from Children of Men, a bit further down the slide into alcoholism.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

a foolish pianist posted:

I was picturing Miller as a sort of sloppier Clive Owen from Children of Men, a bit further down the slide into alcoholism.

Robert Forster from Jackie Brown will always be my head-Miller, but Clive Owen is probably the next best one I've seen someone mention.

I'm currently reading Three Body Problem. I was enjoying it a lot and it was going along at a very fast pace for me until I hit this VR game part. I hope this is only a small detour and most of the rest of this book doesn't involve it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
That's a trilby. Fedoras have much wider brims. :goonsay:

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

savinhill posted:

Robert Forster from Jackie Brown will always be my head-Miller, but Clive Owen is probably the next best one I've seen someone mention.

For some reason, I visualized Miller as Harrison Ford in Blade Runner.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CaptCommy posted:

Yeah, I think this is one of the unfortunate realities of translating this to a filmed product. Like, there's probably just not the budget to have CG'ified Belters that look appropriately freaky in a SciFi TV show, which I think is understandable. I just hope they go hard on the mannerisms/lingo to make them stand out more.

too bad, they could've gotten javier botet for at least one character

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I finished American Elsewhere a few days ago, by Robert Jackson Bennett, the guy who wrote City of Stairs. The plot concerns a woman who inherits a house in a small town in the US, which does not appear on maps and is quite peculiar. Her mother was a scientist working at a government research station nearby. Strange things happen in this city and some residents are not human. I'd class the book as sci-fi overall, but it borrows fairly heavily from cosmic horror.

I was a bit wary of this book as I've heard people here denigrating Bennett's earlier writing efforts (particularly Mr Shivers), but this was a decent read. The action moves along decently enough, the characters are generally well written, and the core mysteries are explained well.

I only had a couple of problems with the book. One, the author tips his hand on the core mysteries pretty early. You can probably figure out most of the backstory very early on if you're at all familiar with the sci fi genre. What is particularly frustrating about this is the protagonist - who is generally a decent character with a distinctive voice - is seemingly oblivious to the evidence she sees. She is shocked when some things are revealed to her that any canny reader would have figured out many, many pages previously. The other thing that I found kind of a letdown was how uninteresting the setting itself was. I suppose the book suffers by comparison to City of Stairs, which had a fairly original setting. I am not simply saying that the real world itself isn't very interesting, but it seemed like everything relating to the human element of the setting was very mundane (the research station, for example, doesn't have too many secrets to plumb).

If you don't mind the premise and liked the writing in City of Stairs this isn't a bad way to kill some time.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Yea I've never read the books and I think the hat looks retarded.

Is he a private eye or something? If so, he needs a more Indiana Jones/ 50s style hat. Not that weird tiny thing.
Yeah, he's a grizzled alcoholic detective who lost his wife and is kind of an anchor dragging down the police department he works in. Then he loses his job and goes space-sleuthing to save this girl that nobody wants him to keep investigating. My main issue is that I think the actor should be a lot older for that character, the hat is intended to be anachronistic and private-eye-ish in the sci-fi setting. He wears a porkpie hat in the book as well, iirc.

Milky Moor posted:

Remember how Miller is convinced he's a great cop but he's actually poo poo?

Maybe, just maybe, the ridiculous looking hat is a way of communicating that to the audience of a different medium.
This.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 17, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Obviously a fedora type then.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

I always had this image of him as a sort of oldschool crime movie private eye type, in a dirty overcoat and a hat everybody thinks is silly. Clive Owen would have made a good miller, although I always sort of envisioned him as someone like Kolchak, except willing to shoot anybody he deems guilty like Dirty Harry.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

coyo7e posted:

I always had this image of him as a sort of oldschool crime movie private eye type, in a dirty overcoat and a hat everybody thinks is silly. Clive Owen would have made a good miller, although I always sort of envisioned him as someone like Kolchak, except willing to shoot anybody he deems guilty like Dirty Harry.

It's television, though. Basically, the more fuckable actors the better the show's chances. I do not begrudge them this.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I might be a little late to the news, but apparently ScyFy is making a series based if Robert Charles Wilson's Spin. If theu were going to do one of his novels I would have preferred Darwinia but Spin could make a decent Lost-like serial.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I might be a little late to the news, but apparently ScyFy is making a series based if Robert Charles Wilson's Spin. If theu were going to do one of his novels I would have preferred Darwinia but Spin could make a decent Lost-like serial.
I'm having trouble imagine this working, although admittedly I ultimately didn't really like the book, anyway.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Stephen Rea (Crying Game, V For Vendetta) was always Miller in my head.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

mystes posted:

I'm having trouble imagine this working, although admittedly I ultimately didn't really like the book, anyway.

I could actually see this working pretty well for a TV adaptation. It could get away with a fairly low budget for special effects since apart from the cosmonauts in space when the barrier appears and the Chinese nuking the objects over the pole it's mainly your average modern day America for the setting. I think the story itself has the potential to make a pretty awesome TV show. I don't know how it would hold up once they hit the second and third novels though as Axis was just okay and Vortex was a giant mess.

Speaking of TV adaptations, Gateway by Frederik Pohl is apparently supposed to be getting the TV show treatment too. This article is from last spring and I haven't heard anything since then but that could also be a really cool show.

edit: This is defintely Miller in my head. It might have something to do with me watching Naked Lunch again right as I was in the middle of Leviathan Wakes.

johnsonrod fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 17, 2015

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The Harvest and Mysterium would work well on TV, too.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Rewatching CoM has convinced me that it's the closest thing to a good Day of the Triffids film we're going to get.

28 Days Later is (deliberately) closer plotwise, but CoM nails that sloppy deparation so drat well.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

So Phillip K. Dick's The Man in the High Castle got produced as a series.
http://www.amazon.com/Man-High-Castle/dp/B00RSGFRY8/

The first (and only so far) episode is up for free. The script is not good, it's downright terrible in spots. But the production as a whole is very good. Even where the script is dealing out hackneyed cliches, the actors sell them really well. The production design is very nice, it's a good combo of 40s and 50s aesthetics. The color bits like Times Square decked out in Nazi propaganda are executed well and with taste. Seeing motherfuckers in Nazi uniforms walking around the city I live in (San Francisco) was infuriating.

It's good. Watch it. Also read the book, we already know that's solid all the way through.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

mllaneza posted:

So Phillip K. Dick's The Man in the High Castle got produced as a series.
http://www.amazon.com/Man-High-Castle/dp/B00RSGFRY8/

The first (and only so far) episode is up for free. The script is not good, it's downright terrible in spots. But the production as a whole is very good. Even where the script is dealing out hackneyed cliches, the actors sell them really well. The production design is very nice, it's a good combo of 40s and 50s aesthetics. The color bits like Times Square decked out in Nazi propaganda are executed well and with taste. Seeing motherfuckers in Nazi uniforms walking around the city I live in (San Francisco) was infuriating.

It's good. Watch it. Also read the book, we already know that's solid all the way through.

Nice -- I need to check that out.

One clarification though -- I don't think Amazon has committed to producing the whole series. Assuming this is like the last batch of pilots they released, they just filmed pilots for a bunch of potential shows, and they want people to watch them and vote on them, and then Amazon will pick a few to produce into full series. They did this awhile back with Mozart in the Jungle, where only the pilot was released, and I guess enough people having voted on it, it was picked up for a full series.

So if this looks good to you, vote it up.

McCoy Pauley fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 18, 2015

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

McCoy Pauley posted:

So if this looks good to you, vote it up.

5'd.

I do want to see where they're going with this, and I really hope they do the hotel sequence.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

Neurosis posted:

I finished American Elsewhere a few days ago, by Robert Jackson Bennett, the guy who wrote City of Stairs. The plot concerns a woman who inherits a house in a small town in the US, which does not appear on maps and is quite peculiar. Her mother was a scientist working at a government research station nearby. Strange things happen in this city and some residents are not human. I'd class the book as sci-fi overall, but it borrows fairly heavily from cosmic horror.

I read this, and I really loved it until the end- I was really hoping he'd wrap it up without everyone leaving- keeping her around in town. I'd make a good Urban Fantasy setting, a bit like Once Upon a Time, really.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.

Hedrigall posted:

The Way of Kings: good?

It's an amazing book, definitely worth reading.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
With all the new sci-fi shows popping up, I haven't seen this mentioned but Syfy is also making Spin by Robert Charles Wilson into a 6-hour mini series
http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/400175-syfy-to-adapt-robert-charles-wilsons-spin

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Fart of Presto posted:

With all the new sci-fi shows popping up, I haven't seen this mentioned but Syfy is also making Spin by Robert Charles Wilson into a 6-hour mini series
http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/400175-syfy-to-adapt-robert-charles-wilsons-spin

Jesus gently caress, it was mentioned only 10 posts before yours.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Shitshow posted:

Derp, sorry, but with all the goony fedora hat talk, I kind of overlooked it :shobon:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Why do people always act like it's a Big loving Deal when someone reposts things? I know for me personally the "jump to last post read" function doesn't always work properly and might skip a few posts. No need to jump down someone's throat about it, the guy was just trying to contribute.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Shitshow posted:

Holy gently caress, it was 11 posts not 10....... get your poo poo together.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rough Lobster posted:

Why do people always act like it's a Big loving Deal when someone reposts things? I know for me personally the "jump to last post read" function doesn't always work properly and might skip a few posts. No need to jump down someone's throat about it, the guy was just trying to contribute.

It's not a proper sci-fi thread without the ever-present risk of unprovoked orifice invasion.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Hedrigall posted:

Stephen Rea (Crying Game, V For Vendetta) was always Miller in my head.

Rea is too short to play a belter.

My Miller was probably a bit too old, but still....

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

cultureulterior posted:

I read this, and I really loved it until the end- I was really hoping he'd wrap it up without everyone leaving- keeping her around in town. I'd make a good Urban Fantasy setting, a bit like Once Upon a Time, really.

I wasn't unhappy with her leaving, but I thought 'What about that dude who was on the other side? And now he's trapped there! You bitch!'

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Neurosis posted:

I wasn't unhappy with her leaving, but I thought 'What about that dude who was on the other side? And now he's trapped there! You bitch!'

Are you talking about the scientist who worked with her mother? If so, doesn't it imply that he's kind of only halfway in existence? I may be making this up, it was a while ago that I read it. I really enjoyed the book though. Is the rest of his stuff pretty cosmic horror influenced?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

MockingQuantum posted:

Are you talking about the scientist who worked with her mother? If so, doesn't it imply that he's kind of only halfway in existence? I may be making this up, it was a while ago that I read it. I really enjoyed the book though. Is the rest of his stuff pretty cosmic horror influenced?

Hmm, kind of. He seemed to be in the aliens' reality but viewable from Earth in specific areas - he mentioned the weird landscape and that he was surviving on some lovely native fruit. There are certainly many variations on reality, such as the hypothetical in which Mona had her daughter, and some of the other in-between areas, but I didn't think it was clearly stated where that guy was. He kind of just got forgot about as the plot went on.

I haven't read his first two books but his most recent, City of Stairs, isn't much influenced by cosmic horror. It's really good though and I liked it more than American Elsewhere so I still recommend it.