Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Oh lordy. So I went to check out a crate drop and got shot at so I ran. They chased me and kept shooting so I turned around and killed them with my bow. Turns out they were goons who didn't hear me asking in Mumble if any other goons were in the area. Sorry, guys. I got all your stuff except for the backpacks at least. :(

I'm totally keeping this hat, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

This game update will take place at 6:30pm PST and have an approximately 90 minute downtime.
• Changes to loot and item spawn/respawn
• Hunger and thirst vitals have been decelerated. You don't get hungry and Thirsty as fast now!
• Dew collectors and rabbit traps should function on live properly now
• Battle Royale: Some loot items we're blocked from being collected. This has been corrected.
• Battle Royale: Some messages were being spammed excessively. This has been corrected.
• Battle Royale: The contents of airdrops have been fixed and now have the appropriate BR style loot
• Battle Royale: Fixed an issue with the mysterious "crafting ingredient" bag appearing when a player dies
• Adjusted some foraging rules
• The houses in Lone Pine Development have had their placements corrected
• Fixed some areas where players were getting stuck (hardware store, shelves, etc)

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
I know it goes against the spirit of being a goon, but a little bit of comms discipline would go a long way when we've got a bunch of goons in one channel. Splitting off into subchannels because people can't stop talking over one another isn't a good solution if it just means we're going to kill each other in the wilds. At the very least, hit the VOIP button to ID yourself if someone is screaming at you.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

So who planted the landmine in the middle of Goon Base?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I know it goes against the spirit of being a goon, but a little bit of comms discipline would go a long way when we've got a bunch of goons in one channel. Splitting off into subchannels because people can't stop talking over one another isn't a good solution if it just means we're going to kill each other in the wilds. At the very least, hit the VOIP button to ID yourself if someone is screaming at you.

Didn't that last server reset break in-game VOIP?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fuckin :agreed:

I think the main channel should be general loving around and no real comms discpline needed

When we are off raiding we should be using the designated channel and it should be the leaders of our outing talking and other people talking when they have a specific need or something related to say, we had a ton of people talking over each other

im not trying to boss anyone around I just know we'll have a lot more fun if we adopt Planetside 2 style comm discipline in those channels

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Republicans posted:

Didn't that last server reset break in-game VOIP?

Nope. The situation seems to be that whoever VOIPs first has their name pop up on-screen for everyone. If other people start talking before that person has finished, their names do not appear. However, if they wait for the first person to finish, their name should appear. Yeah, it's probably buggy, but it kind of works, so... Pay attention to VOIP and don't just assume you can reply in Mumble if people are serious about using subchannels.

E: Regarding what Eonwe said - I mostly agree, but we had an airdrop land close to camp, and goons started telling the airdrop raiders to drop down a channel. Half the people who went after the drop moved channels, the others didn't, and bad things happened. We still got the contents of the drop, but unnecessary goon-on-goon violence occurred, and it would have probably been avoided if goon camp had just quieted down about berry picking while the airdrop was retrieved.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

So who planted the landmine in the middle of Goon Base?

Sawchuck.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

always be closing posted:

Zombies are dropping satchels now. I found I had to punch them till the bodies disappeared, then I could loot the bag. Found good and useful things in a few of them.
You can also get backpacks off of them occasionally.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I should be online in less than an hour, looking forward to seeing our first goon fort after spending last night trying to link up with the posse and instead wandering around the woods eating berries like a wild-eyed Mormon prophet.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

suboptimal posted:

I should be online in less than an hour, looking forward to seeing our first goon fort after spending last night trying to link up with the posse and instead wandering around the woods eating berries like a wild-eyed Mormon prophet.

servers are being patched anywhere from another 30 minutes to up to an hour and a half atm

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Game is currently being patched, will be back up in 1 hour and 10 minutes.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nope. The situation seems to be that whoever VOIPs first has their name pop up on-screen for everyone. If other people start talking before that person has finished, their names do not appear. However, if they wait for the first person to finish, their name should appear. Yeah, it's probably buggy, but it kind of works, so... Pay attention to VOIP and don't just assume you can reply in Mumble if people are serious about using subchannels.

E: Regarding what Eonwe said - I mostly agree, but we had an airdrop land close to camp, and goons started telling the airdrop raiders to drop down a channel. Half the people who went after the drop moved channels, the others didn't, and bad things happened. We still got the contents of the drop, but unnecessary goon-on-goon violence occurred, and it would have probably been avoided if goon camp had just quieted down about berry picking while the airdrop was retrieved.

Yeah definitely - I was really just trying to agree with you that in general people shouldn't speak over each other. Its only going to end up in hurt feelings eventually

Cynthia_Dutch
Dec 30, 2012
So i have only been playing for a few hours and already killed like 5 people either with my fists or with my bow, feeling pretty happy about myself here :)

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Eonwe posted:

kimsemus scouted out a for real base somewhere near Pleasant Valley and Blazing Zero and I came to help

We eventually creep through the woods and bushes remaining out of sight of the base and meet up with Kimsemus as it begins to rain. We creep up on the base with Kimsemus and I below the base. Blazing Zero is noticed by pure luck by the guy guarding the base and begins firing at him. Kimsemus and I come up behind him, gently caress him up, and we all loot him and all his chests after breaking down his door. He had first aid kits, car parts, all sorts of good poo poo.

Then we met up with about 20 other goons in pitch black, found some more shacks, goons swarmed them and destroyed the doors and we stole even more poo poo

game owns

its bad and it has bad mechanics and it also unironically owns

i recorded all of this and am making two videos to upload to yt as i type this.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cynthia_Dutch posted:

So i have only been playing for a few hours and already killed like 5 people either with my fists or with my bow, feeling pretty happy about myself here :)

game is legitimately a lot more fun than I thought it was going to be, and even more fun that I thought after an hour or two of playtime

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

Blazing Zero posted:

i recorded all of this and am making two videos to upload to yt as i type this.

i did the same, sorta.

a horribly edited video showing the following:

running down wildlife
running down a player. and then another one, which also showcases some of sync issues.
blowing up a car using bow and arrow (lol)
a car chase and shootout
and coldmayhem using the toilet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOAHR4GXM0Q

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
At least the lighting tech looks quite good

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
*chased by 2 pubs with bows, not wanting to waste bullets on them*

"lol we'll come help"

*goons shoot me with shotgun, log off*

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I went looking for some of their PS2 snafus but I didn't want to put that much effort into it right now. Maybe tomorrow.

One of the first ones was the issues with camouflage. They wanted it to be cosmetic only, give no bonus, and not be confusing to a player what faction someone was on. This pretty much didn't happen except for the cosmetic only ones. There were plenty of ways to pretty much hide what faction colors you had on by camo.

From the first game and some basic game design, you don't want teams or classes to be hard to identify. Normally the outline shape and color of clothing should be used to do this. An example of good design is TF2 where it is pretty easy to tell who is who and what is what. In PS2 they promised that then threw it out the window.

There were other issues like things from Planetside 1 not carried over to Planetside 2, a few being map designed for vehicles, air gods, sky guards, drivers / gunners in tanks, faction specific light vehicles, and some other poo poo. But it normally boils down to they have a plan and stick to it but their PR guy, Smedley, or who ever is speaking to the consumers end up promising everything including poo poo not in the plans. Then they apologize and move on since people will still give them money.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
server up

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!

automaticswim posted:

blowing up a car using bow and arrow (lol)

John Rambo, is that you?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Third World Reggin posted:

***dumb poo poo***

Stop posting in this thread, tia.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Third World Reggin posted:

I went looking for some of their PS2 snafus but I didn't want to put that much effort into it right now. Maybe tomorrow.

One of the first ones was the issues with camouflage. They wanted it to be cosmetic only, give no bonus, and not be confusing to a player what faction someone was on. This pretty much didn't happen except for the cosmetic only ones. There were plenty of ways to pretty much hide what faction colors you had on by camo.

From the first game and some basic game design, you don't want teams or classes to be hard to identify. Normally the outline shape and color of clothing should be used to do this. An example of good design is TF2 where it is pretty easy to tell who is who and what is what. In PS2 they promised that then threw it out the window.

There were other issues like things from Planetside 1 not carried over to Planetside 2, a few being map designed for vehicles, air gods, sky guards, drivers / gunners in tanks, faction specific light vehicles, and some other poo poo. But it normally boils down to they have a plan and stick to it but their PR guy, Smedley, or who ever is speaking to the consumers end up promising everything including poo poo not in the plans. Then they apologize and move on since people will still give them money.

somehow, planetside 2 is still fun despite these things. so far, h1 is following down the exact same path. still buggy and over hyped, still fun to be had.

eh, if he wants to be really angry about smed and soe, it's fine with me. he can play with me on launch if he wants, it'll be free then. :shobon:

:siren: two videos of goons doing things :siren:
http://youtu.be/NLIYWo_p1CM
http://youtu.be/Op6nAwvDmu8

Blazing Zero fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 18, 2015

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
well, I can select my character, press play, and then I get kicked to desktop with no error message :soe:

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

what happened posted:

well, I can select my character, press play, and then I get kicked to desktop with no error message :soe:

There's a slim chance this is your issue but this happened to me with OBS open and recording, I closed that or switched to Window mode and it worked fine.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

what happened posted:

A couple people reported corrupted character files last night. Maybe that's your issue?

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
Tried again and it fixed itself, I also found a worn letter inside a zombie

Spunky Junior Reporter! fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 18, 2015

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

*spends 30 minutes crawling through the bush to goon fort, gets shot by another goon while trying to help fend off an attack, respawns even further away than before*

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

suboptimal posted:

*spends 30 minutes crawling through the bush to goon fort, gets shot by another goon while trying to help fend off an attack, respawns even further away than before*

Welcome to playing survival games with goons! :toot:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Unless he's just angry at :soe: he was posting in response to a question I asked earlier without quoting it. I asked how PS2 had gotten Smed'd because I wasn't following its development and people were saying this was his SOP.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

OK so just finished a BR 3rd place. The fog stopped hurting me and I got lost inside it. The server said the game ends in 5 min and the purse is split between survivors. I must have sat in a corner for like 30 minutes and the game never ended. So I ran back into a town shooting wildly thinking I was disconnected and got blown away by someone prone in a field. I don't even know. I guess the ties aren't up yet or some poo poo. What happens if the last 2 people never find each other then?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Blazing Zero posted:

eh, if he wants to be really angry about smed and soe, it's fine with me. he can play with me on launch if he wants, it'll be free then.

It ain't being angry. It is called answering questions when someone says "What did they do in planetside 2?" which was asked several times.

fight me irl

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 18, 2015

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...

Akumos posted:

I made a 2nd one using the top mouse side button since some asked for it.

https://mega.co.nz/#!rBwCjSpY!0NRehQxrjCqgaKGyGFkj63hrvs3kT9vxj1Cy9V7p5bE

Thanks for this, I had to download a whole new browser because Chrome blocked it but thank you!

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
I won a battle royale and all I got was a lousy t-shirt. It's hard to read in screenshots due to compression and the fact the shirt is wet but it says 'playerunknown's BATTLE ROYALE'

apparently it's an account-bound tshirt skin. pretty cool.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 18, 2015

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

PREYING MANTITS posted:

I won a battle royale and all I got was a lousy t-shirt. It's hard to read in screenshots due to compression but it says 'playerunknown's BATTLE ROYALE'

Ban this sick P2W filthhoarder and nuke SOE's HQ for lying to us.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
Every positive comment gets me some smedbucks that I can use towards winning.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

PSA: If you find a letter (don't know what else to call it) that has a description of a location of a cache, take the letter to the place, find the cache, and shove the letter in. It'll spawn a bunch of cool stuff like weapons and ammo.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
From what I remember of PS2 the main issue was they didn't properly playtest base design and metagame. Bases were horrible as they were designed around chokepoints so at some point defenders would just get camped in their spawns, not so sure what the metagame issues were but they changed back to the same linked base design as PS1 to fix it.

I read that they've heavily nerfed the rate at which F2P players can unlock stuff to get people to pay more money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
As a PS2 Megasperg, I can say:

SOE tends to take five steps forward (:buddy:) and 2d6 steps back (:geno: to :stonk:) every patch. Sometimes they add a bunch of cool things that genuinely improve the gameplay while only breaking one thing that half the people loved, sometimes they patch out a bunch of bugs while reintroducing a flock of bugs they've already patched out.

Smedley is genuinely a bad influence in his games. You can be sure that if he says he's going to do something, even if it sounds good, they'll gently caress it up on his word. If something happens and you haven't heard it was going to happen, it's probably a good thing for the best. On the other hand, sometimes they will take a bunch of people saying things ironically and treat them seriously and actually buff one of the most powerful weapons in the game. Then a different one. Then they'll castrate a super-overpowered weapon and hugely overbuff one that's in a good place in the same patch. Seriously, roll a die on each balance tweak.

To date, they have treated me well enough. They've made some grave errors, but nothing unforgiveable and PS2 is wholly playable. As I read this thread, I'm very optimistic for H1Z1.

• Locked thread